Southeast
✟574,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
**Disclaimer: Gentiles who believe on the Messiah are grafted into the olive tree, which is Israel - Romans 11. Also, Gentiles who believe on the Messiah are now fellow citizens with God’s people, Israel - Ephesians 2:19. Gentiles who believe in the Messiah are now Israel, and are partakers of the covenant given only to Israel**​

——————

According to the prophet Jeremiah, the new covenant is only with Israel

Jeremiah 31:31-33
Behold, the days come, saith YHWH, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith YHWH:

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;

After those days, saith YHWH, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people

The original covenant was also only made with Israel, according to Jeremiah.

Notice that he did not mention any other nation - he only mentioned Israel(and Judah). He did not say “the house of America”, “the house of Rome”, “the house of Greece” etc

People on here (and in real life) love to say “the old covenant was given only to Israel”, as if the new covenant was not given only to Israel, too.

By their logic, they exclude themselves from the new covenant by default, as the new covenant is only with Israel.

My question is: what covenant are these Gentiles that exclude themselves from Israel and her covenants a part of ?

Did any of the other prophets foretell of another covenant aside from the new covenant that’s only with Israel? If so, what is the covenant, and where is it in the Scriptures?

Last edited:

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jeremiah 31:31-33

The original covenant was also only made with Israel, according to Jeremiah.

Notice that he did not mention any other nation - he only mentioned Israel(and Judah). He did not say “the house of America”, “the house of Rome”, “the house of Greece” etc

People on here (and in real life) love to say “the old covenant was given only to Israel”, as if the new covenant was not given only to Israel, too.

By their logic, they exclude themselves from the new covenant by default, as the new covenant is only with Israel.

My question is: what covenant are these Gentiles that exclude themselves from Israel and her covenants a part of ?

Did any of the other prophets foretell of another covenant aside from the new covenant that’s only with Israel? If so, what is the covenant, and where is it in the Scriptures?
This will be a touchy thread but you are correct, the covenant is only with Israel. However, the old covenant (as many call it) included gentiles. Go back and read about the "ger" the foreigners or strangers who came out of Egypt with Israel. Three things were said of them as they determined to walk with Israel and their God....

1. They were to assimilate into the tribes they traveled with (grafted in?)
2. Israel was to treat them as if native born
3. The Torah (instructions, law) was given to Israel AND the foreigner with the

So it is in the what we call the new covenant. It is given to Israel and Judah.... but also to those in the nations who come in faith. So like those foreigners who came out of Egypt with Israel, these people, Paul says in Ephesians 2... WERE gentiles in the flesh, WERE aliens of the Commonwealth of Israel, and are NOW fellow citizens through the blood of Christ. In other words... same deal. The covenant is made with Israel but it is open to others just as it was coming out of Egypt.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟124,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, the New Covenant is given to the New Israel.

"For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but 'Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.' This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring." - Roman 9:6-8

It is those who in the house of Israel believe that participate in the Covenant, the Gentiles that believe become fellow-partakers with them. In other words, the New Israel is the Church, this is the people that God makes this covenant with, consisting Jewish and Gentile believers.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
**Disclaimer: Gentiles who believe on the Messiah are grafted into the olive tree, which is Israel - Romans 11. Also, Gentiles who believe on the Messiah are now fellow citizens with God’s people, Israel - Ephesians 2:19. Gentiles who believe in the Messiah are now Israel, and are partakers of the covenant given only to Israel**​

——————

All believers are the new Israel of the new covenant.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Saved gentiles are actually the true Israel of God.
And there is no more jew or gentile division for those in Christ.

One in Christ
11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands— 12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. 17 And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens,[d] but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by[e] the Spirit.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Or if you like old timey 1599 language this,
11 Wherefore remember that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, and [t]called uncircumcision of them, which are called circumcision in the flesh, made with hands,

12 That ye were, I say, at that time without Christ, and were aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and were strangers from the covenants of promise, and had no hope, and were without God in the world.

13 But now in Christ Jesus, ye which once were far off, are made near by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, which hath made of both one, and hath broken the stop of the partition wall,

15 In abrogating through his flesh the hatred, that is, the Law of commandments which standeth in ordinances, for to make of twain one new man in himself, so making peace,

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by his cross, and slay hatred thereby,

17 And came, and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were near.

18 For through him we both have an entrance unto the Father by one Spirit.

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners: but citizens with the Saints, and of the household of God.

20 And are built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone,

21 In whom all the building [ag]coupled together, groweth unto an holy Temple in the Lord.

22 In whom ye also are built together to be the habitation of God by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but 'Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.' This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring." - Roman 9:6-8

I'm not seeing it...

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You'll find it if you look.

Oh, I know it is found in reformed theology...I was asking for the Biblical support.

*You'll have to expound for me if you want me to see it from that verse you quoted...if you want.

• Informative
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Christians are Abrahams seed and heirs to the promises
Galatians 3
28 There is neither Jew nor Grecian: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs by promise.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You'll find it if you look.

Indeed. Israel with most original branches removed and a large amount of new branches is definitely a new Israel not to mention under a new covenant composed of new "creatures" in Christ.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,712.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 9:
6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel; 7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham’s descendants, but: “THROUGH ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS WILL BE NAMED.” 8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.

• Useful
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
God made a promise to Abraham he would have a son, and through Isaac your seed shall be called, that is called by God and therefore saved. We gentiles are heirs of that promise God made that Abraham would have a vast number of descendents like the stars that can not be counted.

Romans 9:7 Neither are they all children, because they are the seed of Abraham: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called:

26 But Jerusalem, which is above, is free: which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice thou barren that bearest no children: break forth, and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children, than she which hath an husband.

28 Therefore, brethren, we are after the manner of Isaac, children of the promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh, persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

30 But what saith the Scripture? Put out the servant and her son: for the son of the servant shall not be heir with the son of the free woman.

31 Then brethren, we are not children of the servant, but of the free woman.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed. Israel with most original branches removed and a large amount of new branches is definitely a new Israel not to mention under a new covenant composed of new "creatures" in Christ.

Many are and will be grafted in again.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,712.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rom 9:
22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

25 As He says also in Hosea,
“I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, ‘MY PEOPLE,’
AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, ‘BELOVED.’”

Upvote 0