Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The necessity of being a Christian

A few of questions:

1. In order to get into heaven is it absolutely necessary to be a Christian?

2. If so, then do all others end up in hell?

3. If not then what becomes of them?

4. What is the evidence for your answer?

1. It is absolutely necessary to become a believer after one has heard and understood the Gospel, and, those who have never had this opportunity who have not lived up to the innate moral law we are all born with.....which is almost everyone.

2. No. But could (and many should) receive some sort of punishment, in my opinion.

3. The New Testament teaches that these will not receive eternal life.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
1. . . . those who have never had this opportunity who have not lived up to the innate moral law we are all born with.....which is almost everyone.
Not quite following this. Are you simply saying these people don't get into Heaven?

2. No. But could (and many should) receive some sort of punishment, in my opinion.
Then what happens to them?

3. The New Testament teaches that these will not receive eternal life.
Which means what? They simply cease to exist in any place or form?

And where do you come by your information?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
A few of questions:

In order to be a citizen of the Kingdom of God it is, by definition, necessarly to acknowledge the King. Not that that Kingdom is "Heaven", but that doesn't appear to be relevant to your question.

"Hell" is the conventional label for the alternative. What that consists of, and who if anyone will choose that alternative, is indicated only in figurative language. One shouldn't be precise about things to which scripture provides only symbols.

None except (an understanding of) scripture.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A few of questions:

It is absolutely necessary to accept Christ as your Saviour and Lord.

John 14:6 (KJV)
6 Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.

Acts 4:12 (NKJV)
12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

1 John 5:11-12 (NKJV)
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

John 3:36 (NKJV)
36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Yes.

Matthew 10:28 (KJV)
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 18:9 (NKJV)
9 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.

Mark 9:43-44 (NKJV)
43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--
44 where 'Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'

2 Peter 2

Matthew 25:46 (KJV)
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew 7:13 (KJV)
13 Enter you in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Romans 2:5-9 (NKJV)
5 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
6 who "will render to each one according to his deeds":
7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness--indignation and wrath,
9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;

There is no "if not."

See above.

Peace.

Upvote 0

OldChurchGuy

Feb 19, 2007
✟15,752.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
A few of questions:

It is my understanding we do not have any of the original manuscripts for either the Hebrew Bible or the New Testament. So, I am not sure the questions can be answered with absolute certainty.

However, I believe in a God of grace, love, and mercy. Therefore, while the final decision for each person is up to God, I believe there is room in God's heaven for a variety of faiths.

No evidence to back up this belief.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A few of questions:

No. There are people who will not be Christians who will be in heaven. While this answer tends to spark fire in the Christian community at large, many already believe that infants and those who have never 'heard the name of Jesus' will be granted a free pass. Obviously, neither infants or those who do not know Jesus are not Christians. Personally, I extend the line quite a bit farther than just infants and the Jesus-ignorant, but that might put me a bit on the fringe.

If so, then do all others end up in hell?
With a typical understanding of Scripture, yes. Not all hold such a doctrine.

If not then what becomes of them?
To be entirely honest, I cannot say with absolute certainty. Many argue that all will go into heaven, while some will be in hell for a short time of purification, while some say hell is eternal, while some say we simply disappear after death.

What is the evidence for your answer?

Logic, based upon Scripture. As far as empirical evidence goes, there is, obviously, none.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
A few of questions:

1 It depends what you mean by Christian. It is necessary for God to regard you as a Christian, yes, but you might not actually realise that this is who you are. Some will know, but some will not.

2 It depends what you mean by hell. If you mean separated from God, then yes. We choose in this life our own eternity. If we choose to live without God now, then we will choose the same in eternity.

3 Whatever they create for themselves, without God.

4 Matthew 25, the Beatitudes, the Incarnation etc etc.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Washington. In order to get back to God, we follow God-Son, who is the Way back to God. God-Son became Man, to come to Earth to show us God-Father, and to pay the price, which God`s Holy Law demanded: a Sacrifice without sin, and absolutely Guiltless. Jesus Christ became our sacrifice, and He is the Way back to God. All who will follow Him, Jesus will lead to God, the only necessity is that we Repent, and exchange our selfish and wilful character, into loving God first, and loving all others as we love ourselves. God promised: " whosoever will, may come." God will not force usin any way, Jesus reconciled us, and Jesus will lead us back to our Heavenly Father, who is waiting to forgive us. Those men and women who do not want to return to God, for any reason they may think they have, will end in a place in Outer Darkness, without God`s Love or Light. Remember Washington, God will not force any of us, and Jesus told us of a place in Outer Darkness, where there can be heard loud wailing, and gnashing of teeth. I can only think, that those poor souls will realise how wrong their decision was, to follow foolish, or their own wilful decision. Christianity is a personal relationship with Christ and our christian brothers and sisters. The proof is this are the thousands of Christians all over the world. I say this humbly and with love. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ. P.S. God is Spirit, Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is my understanding we do not have any of the original manuscripts for either the Hebrew Bible or the New Testament. So, I am not sure the questions can be answered with absolute certainty.

For the NT, we can cross-check so many ancient manuscripts that we can pretty much infer the original (give or take some very minor variations).

For the OT, comparing the Hebrew, the Septuagint, and the Dead Sea Scrolls gives us a very good idea of the original too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that Aiki has given an excellent summary of Scriptural teachings on the issue, one that I could not surpass. The Scriptures show that only people who place their trust in Jesus Christ (whom we refer to as "Christians") will be saved. There is absolutely no possibility of salvation for people who do not believe in Christ and trust him to atone for their sins.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There is absolutely no possibility of salvation for people who do not believe in Christ and trust him to atone for their sins.

Matthew 25 would beg to differ. :)

According to Our Lord himself, not all those who call him Lord will enter eternity, and not all those who enter eternity will call him Lord. The benchmark is not orthodoxy of belief, but the quality of our love. For which, see 1 Corinthians.

Reactions: Tissue
Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, its necessary to become a christian because all lof mankind has fallen and no one is good enough but Jesus Christ. This is the only spiritual medication that can help us. No one would question a doctor if he only had one treatment for a patient to physically save their life. No one except Jesus kept the 10 Commandments all the time 100% of the time - this is why no one is good enough. Thus, its a gift of salvation - its by grace through faith. Saving faith is evidence by good works being a byproduct. Many other religions try to work their way to heaven - but Gods standards is light years above us. I suggest you go to: Are you a good person?
http://www.livingwaters.com/good/ We are ALL guilty.

God doesn't "send" people to hell - they go by default. Would you let someone in your house that has rejected you their whole life without repenting and changing? I don't know about you but those that don't like me or don't have anything in common with me tend to stay away from me.

Evidence? Yes, I'm a christian first and intellectually one second. If you were shown the evidence would you change your mind? I won't debate about this because this isn't the debate section and its like debating the sun is the moon. As a start read Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell (this evidence would stand up in a court of law without a reasonable doubt), and The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel (a former athiest).

Biblical Evidence (Scratching the Surface Only)

Internal Evidences
Prophesies that are confirmed within Bible

- Life of Christ
The Tribe of Judah, Gen 49:10 - Luke 3:23-28
(Genesis was written 4004 BC to 1689 BC)
(Luke's time period is 60-70 AD)

Royal Line of David, Jer 23:5 -Matt 1:1
(Jeremiah 760 to 698 BC)/(Matthew 60-70 AD)

Born of a Virgin, Isaiah 7:14/Matt 1:18-23
(Isaiah 760 to 698 BC)/(60-70 AD)

**I can list at least 20 more of these.
-Rise of Empires
In the book of Daniel, Chapter 2 - four kingdoms are described in the interpretation of the dream of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek - Daniel 8:21, 10:20) and a fourth great kingdom to follow - part iron and clay - which is the Roman Empire - during this empire Christ came and the church was established - Daniel 2:44.

-Historical Accuracy
The Bible is loaded with historical statements concerning events hundreds of years ago, yet has not been proven incorrect on any.
(Bible compared to other ancient documents):
New Testament - starts at 25 years - between original and first surviving copies
Homer - starts at 500 years
Demosthenes - at 1400 years
Plato - at 1200 years
Caesar - at 1000 years

Number of Manuscript Copies
New Testament - 5,686
Homer - 643
Demosthenes - 200
Plato - 7
Caesar - 10

Consistency
Written by at least 40 men over a period of time exceeding 1400 years, and has no internal inconsistencies.

Claim of Inspiration
It claims to be spoken by God, 2 Tim 3:16-17). No other religious book makes such claims.

External Evidences
(Prophesies Outside the Bible)
These cities were prophesied to be destroyed and never be built again.
Nineveh - Nahum 1:10, 3:7,15, Zephaniah 2:13-14
Babylon - Isaiah 13:1-22)
Tyre (Ezekiel 26:1-28)

Bible before Science
He hangs the earth on nothing - Job 26:7
(Job was written at least 1000 years ago - some scholars think it could be even 3000 years ago)
Note: Man only knew this for 350 years
Earth is a sphere, Isaiah 40:22
Air has weight, Job 28:25
Gravity - Job 26:7, Job 38:31-33
Winds blow in cyclones, Eccl 1:6

Documents that Prove Bible is True
Gilgamesh Epic, The Sumerian King List, Mari Tablets, Babylonian Chronicles

Archealogoical Finds
Excavations of Ur, Location of Zoar, Ziggurats and the foundation of Tower of Babel

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 25 would beg to differ. :)

According to Our Lord himself, not all those who call him Lord will enter eternity, and not all those who enter eternity will call him Lord. The benchmark is not orthodoxy of belief, but the quality of our love. For which, see 1 Corinthians.
Actually, you are mistaken in what you've said above. In the description of the Last Judgment in the last fifteen verses of Matthew chapter 25 both those who are going to Hell and those who aren't call Christ, "Lord." The focus of these verses is upon obedience, not in word, but in deed, to God's command to love others practically. These verses are not implicitly teaching that those who are ignorant of Christ as Lord will go to Heaven merely because they were sufficiently loving toward others. Not only does this do violence to the passage in question, but such an interpretation would confound all the verses I posted earlier which explicitly teach otherwise. Essentially, what you have written above is that Love supersedes, or is at least equal in saving power to, faith in Christ. Or, in other words, Christ's sacrifice wasn't truly necessary for our salvation; our loving each other could have accomplished the same thing. This leads inevitably to a works-based form of salvation, which is totally antithetical to the message of the gospel.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

This verse includes all works - even works of love.

Simple orthodoxy of belief doesn't guarantee Heaven. On this, I agree with you. But I cannot agree with your idea that practical expressions of love not intended first as expressions of love toward God are the basis upon which entrance to Heaven is gained.

Luke 10:25-28 (NKJV)
25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
26 He said to him, "What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?"
27 So he answered and said, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.' "
28 And He said to him, "You have answered rightly; do this and you will live."

Always the Christian's love of God is the correct motivation for their love toward their neighbor. The former ought always to precede the latter, and when it does not, it serves no spiritual or eternal purpose at all.

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A few of questions:

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.” John 3:16-21

Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared. But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb. Then they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. And it happened, as they were greatly perplexed about this, that behold, two men stood by them in shining garments. Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.’”
And they remembered His words. Then they returned from the tomb and told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them, who told these things to the apostles. And their words seemed to them like idle tales, and they did not believe them. But Peter arose and ran to the tomb; and stooping down, he saw the linen cloths lying by themselves; and he departed, marveling to himself at what had happened Luke 24:1-12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A few of questions:

If you know that God calls you to become a Christian, then yes, it's absolutely necessary.

Not necessarily. Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation.

One sends oneself to hell by rejecting God. It's impossible to reject what one doesn't know, and God does not hold us culpable for what we can't know - therefore, we are held culpable only for the revelation that God gives us.

Romans 1:18-21 is a good start.

Upvote 0