Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The problem with it is that it COULD be read one way and COULD be read another. It was clear as mud, and seemed to be intentionally muddy. Which allows people to run with the interpretation that we're doing gay marriages now, but we have to wink and nod while doing so. I expect such marriages to begin popping up in multiple dioceses any time. The Vatican can deny it but their (intentionally) muddy position will be what enabled such things.
Maybe. I didn't have have the impression that it could be read that way at all. I think it depends on the lens upon which you view the Pope. If you view him as someone who is orthodox, I think you will tend to interpret his words through an orthodox lens. If you view him as someone who is heretical, I think you will tend to interpret his words negatively and see heresy where there is not.
Do we now bless two people who are going to be performing sodomy? What will next year's synod conclude after this year's synod spent so much time and effort on it? How will cardinal Hollerich procede?
You might have to consult Nostradamous concerning some of that.

LOL. Performing sodomy when? On the way up to the altar, or in the church parking lot after Mass has ended?

I mean, I think we can be sophisticated here. If a gay couple walks up to the altar with a "We are gay please bless our gay marriage" T-shirt on you will not bless in that circumstance. If a gay person in the Church walks up for a blessing by himself for personal blessing like any other Catholic, why should he be denied? He may have a homosexual orgy when he gets home, certainly. But its no more likely than you binging out on an adult video when you get home. They get the same treatment that any other Christian struggling with sin get, in my view.
Perhaps. The Germans are pushing the envelope. They seem to have already gone into practical schism except that pope Francis has yet to say they are in schism. So they're not just yet in schism. Maybe pope Francis stands up to them. He has been sounding like he might be standing up to them in the past few days. Time will tell. He seems to know how to fire bishops. What will he do in Germany?
Well, regardless of how it all plays out, we can have conidence that the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Maybe. I didn't have have the impression that it could be read that way at all. I think it depends on the lens upon which you view the Pope. If you view him as someone who is orthodox, I think you will tend to interpret his words through an orthodox lens. If you view him as someone who is heretical, I think you will tend to interpret his words negatively and see heresy where there is not.
Folks in the media read it exactly that way. Whoopie thanked pope Francis for his bold changes.
You might have to consult Nostradamous concerning some of that.
I tend to avoid that kind of thing.
LOL. Performing sodomy when? On the way up to the altar, or in the church parking lot after Mass has ended?
I donno. They might or might not have the dignity to wait until later.
I mean, I think we can be sophisticated here. If a gay couple walks up to the altar with a "We are gay please bless our gay marriage" T-shirt on you will not bless in that circumstance. If a gay person in the Church walks up for a blessing by himself for personal blessing like any other Catholic, why should he be denied? He may have a homosexual orgy when he gets home, certainly. But its no more likely than you binging out on an adult video when you get home. They get the same treatment that any other Christian struggling with sin get, in my view.
I suppose anyone can ask for a blessing. And generally everyone should get a blessing. Depending on their request and whether the blesser is asked to bless sin or not. But when that gay couple walk up to the altar with that T-shirt and the priest says "well, we aren't actually blessing all of this anything like a real marriage because we aren't allowed to do that, but we are blessing it nonetheless because we are finally allowed to" how many people will recognize the distinction? The priest will carefully maintain some sort of distinction in his own head but everyone else there will think they are attending a wedding. So it's a distinction without a difference and it's now basically approved. Belgium and Germany are already there.

The basic question is whether people are struggling with sin or have gone on to indulging in sin, or even proudly promoting sin. Whether homosexual or heterosexual that is problematic.
Well, regardless of how it all plays out, we can have confidence that the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church.
The gates of hell will not prevail. One other legitimate way of translating 'gates of hell' is 'jaws of death' and I think that we shall survive the jaws of that monster but we will end up a bit mauled in the process. Damage is being done, but yes, the Church survives. God does win in the end.

Upvote 0