Bishop Strickland: It is a ‘grave sin’ to buy tickets from musicians who use proceeds to fund abortion

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pop singer Olivia Rodrigo is pledging part of her ticket sales from upcoming Texas concerts to groups that help women get an abortion – a brutal, horrific procedure.

(LifeSiteNews) — Bishop Joseph Strickland has declared that it is a “grave sin” to purchase a ticket from a musician who “explicitly says part of the ticket price will help fund abortions,” such as pop star Olivia Rodrigo.

“Cooperating with the abortion of a child is a grave sin and purchasing a ticket from an artist who explicitly says part of the ticket price will help fund abortions qualifies as cooperation,” explained the bishop emeritus of Tyler, Texas, in comments to LifeSiteNews, adding, “I’d urge the ProLife community to boycott this artist.”

Continued below.

Reactions: jas3

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Morally, this is a stretch the good bishops needs to explain to me because it's not immediately obvious.

Money has no memory, it's doesn't remember it came from me. I'm not buy abortions I'm buying a ticket. Once the money has left my hand, I don't own it and the new owner can do with that money what they will but it's not my money anymore and what they do with it is their business, not mine.

Now, I can not buy the ticket if I don't want to give the musician money because I don't like the way she would spend it, but if I choose to buy the ticket, I don't see how I'm "cooperating" with abortion.

I don't see that there is a moral connection here that affects me directly.

Upvote 0