✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
And you know not what you speak of.

I am glad. I don't want to temp evil. I have enough already in my life.

Speaking in tongues is a gift to preach the Gospel to non believers in a tongue that they can understand.

But that's going off topic, so sorry about that OP.

• Agree
Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The the most clear one is the sinlessness in the flesh preachers who believe that if you are a real Christian then the Holy Spirit will cause you to stop sinning and you will become a sinless person in this life.. Of course if you sin they preach that this is a sign that you have not received the Holy Spirit and thus you where never saved to begin with..

The second type is a blend of grace and works.. They preach that God will forgive you, But have to ask God for forgiveness each and every time you sin, woe to you if you miss a sin and forget to ask..

Then there are those who say you are saved, but if you sin too much then your going to get booted out.. They never actually explain what the level of sinning is. This preaching just keeps people in a state of fear always uncertain if they have been good enough to maintain their salvation status..

Works salvation in all it's forms declares the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ to be in the end insufficient to save people.. They teach that the believer must also perform up to a certain level of goodness to pay their part of the cost of their own salvation..
My favorite one is, "Poor old Joe, he had a head faith but not a heart faith: 18 inches from salvation."

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Calvinist does good works but does not know why!

He is in a state of confusion and is counting on things ending up well for him!

Allow me, if you will, a moment of autobiography, for reasons similar to those of Paul in Galatians 1 and 2. In my early days of research, before Sanders had published Paul and Palestinian Judaism in 1977 and long before Dunn coined the phrase ‘The New Perspective on Paul’, I was puzzled by one exegetical issue in particular, which I here oversimplify for the sake of summary. If I read Paul in the then standard Lutheran way, Galatians made plenty of sense, but I had to fudge (as I could see dozens of writers fudging) the positive statements about the Law in Romans. If I read Paul in the Reformed way of which, for me, Charles Cranfield remains the supreme exegetical exemplar, Romans made a lot of sense, but I had to fudge (as I could see Cranfield fudging) the negative statements about the Law in Galatians.

By N.T. Wright
New Perspectives on Paul
Great post! I have studied Paul in Romans (and Galatians) referring to [ ]Law, and thee Law. When he says, [ ]Law--with out the definite article, he is referring to the character and nature of Law which is referring to the pharisaical religious nonsense that was in practice at that time. That that would get you nowhere. He said this in contrast to thee Law which is a specific articular identification of God's actual instructions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am glad. I don't want to temp evil. I have enough already in my life.

Speaking in tongues is a gift to preach the Gospel to non believers in a tongue that they can understand.

But that's going off topic, so sorry about that OP.
Becareful. To say that speaking in tongues is evil is to call the Holy Spirit evil. And you err in your assumption that tongues is a gift to preach the Gospel to non believers. Prophesy reaches the non believer. Tongues are for the believer.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Becareful. To say that speaking in tongues is evil is to call the Holy Spirit evil. And you err in your assumption that tongues is a gift to preach the Gospel to non believers. Prophesy reaches the non believer. Tongues are for the believer.
Huh? To quote Paul, "tongues are for a sign" and they spoke in the known tongue of the hearer! Jews came from all over, speaking many languages, and were in Jerusalem for the Holy days(on this day: Pentecost). It was a sign to the Jews 1 Corinthians 14:21 spoken of by Isaiah. To "unbelievers" 1 Corinthians 14:22. Tongues would cease in 1 Corinthians 13:8.

Whereas prophecy, well, the word prophet is from the Greek prophEtEs. It is transliterated and not translated for you. It simply means: in-front(as in standing in front of someone)-to-tell. It may, or may not include eschatological statements. The root of the Hebrew word is crazy man. Do I fit!? Paul wished that all could prophesy: stand in front of people and give words of, edification, exhortation and consolation 1 Cor 14:3. I would say that just about everyone on this forum is doing just that--to believers!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,694.00
Faith
Pentecostal
By which I think you mean willfully continue to sin because you are confident that you will still be safe. I don't know anyone who has said that here on CF, but if I've seen the claim made one time by others I've seen it a hundred times. :sigh:
Yes you understand that I am talking about continually willfully sinning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IS the seeming inability to identify the modern nations in "end time" prophecy!
Yeah, the "New Babylon" in the early church was Rome. That has since been changed to...to...to...to Now it's the USA! Could it possibly be the rebirth of the Old Babylon south of Bagdad where they are preparing to do just that, and have been doing just that for years?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biographies I checked say that he learned Greek in college.
My bad, yes 18mos and apparently continued his study of koinE Greek to the point of translating the book of Romans which is impressive!

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Then I guess I missed your point. It seemed that you were saying you could do a lot of horrible things and still get to heaven without repenting.

Can I be certain that I've confessed all of my sins? No.

I place no faith in myself or my ability to keep the law of God, because keeping God's law means not failing in one point - ever.

To be clear, I am not condoning flagrant sin, but who among us can stand before God on the basis of our performance?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I be certain that I've confused all of my sins? No.

I place no faith in myself or my ability to keep the law of God, because keeping God's law means not failing in one point - ever.

To be clear, I am not condoning flagrant sin, but who among us can stand before God on the basis of our performance?
I am able to stand before God because Paul said that God is able to make me stand. It's a Shepherd and sheep thing.

Upvote 0

cloudlight93

Jul 22, 2017
Sydney
✟16,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The ever cancerous belief system spreading in the Western Church that takes "New Age" spirituality and teaches people that Christ came to teach you how to use the creative power of thought to create your every dream, now.

Also known as Prosperity gospels, Law of Attraction teachings that lift God's Word from the Bible and place them in the context of a worldly teaching about financial gain, health, international travel, and "abundance".

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,694.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Can I be certain that I've confessed all of my sins? No.

None of us can. You are correct in that. But it is in our walk that we show our live and commitment to serve Christ and live for him. Not perfectly but trying. Walking in the spirit is different than living in sin.

Upvote 0