The memory lane thread :)

Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Movies: Police Academy, Crocodile Dunde, Adventures In Babysitting, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Tootsie, Can't Buy Me Love, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Etc, etc.

TV Shows: Happy Days, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Night Court, Family Ties, Silver Spoons, Solid Gold, Three's Company (although its very painful to watch now.) Police Squad (which was the precrurser to the Naked Gun movies,) AL TV, etc. I am sure I am forgetting a lot here.

What's really nice is I have been able to watch those old movies and shows (including the original Star Trek) with my kids and I didn't have to worry about bad language or any of the stuff that is common place now:amen:

Upvote 0
L

LindaJ617

Oh wow, great memories just reading this thread. Loved some of those shows, especially Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons.

After losing my Mom last month, I've been down memory lane quite more frequently lately. My Mom loved music! She was always singing. So the 70's music comes to mind of course. Eagles, Chicago, KC and the Sunshine Band, Styx, Neil Diamond, CCR....good memories. Was def much more into music and playing outside than the TV shows. Who knew, soon enough, I would have a walkman and be able to play outside AND listen to my music! :D

Upvote 0
L

LindaJ617

Sorry to hear about your mom, Linda. My dad passed away a few months ago. He wasn't much of a music listener or a TV watcher. He liked to read and build things in his workshop.
Thank you for your condolences, and I am sorry about your dad.
Thinking about Mom gives me those great memories of the 70's, 80's, and she's at peace. It's a good thing.

That's a good thought about memory lane: Books! I loved to read too! My favorites were The Hobbit, The Flowers in the Attic series, Anne of Green Gables, and some Grace Livingston. I wasn't a big Nancy Drew fan though, like many of my friends.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who knew, soon enough, I would have a walkman and be able to play outside AND listen to my music! :D

No kidding! My first Walkman was as big as a brick, but it was amazing to think that I could listen to my tapes anywhere! Music and books have been so important to me throughout my life. I'm so thankful that they I can continue to enjoy them no matter how old I am.

Upvote 0
L

LindaJ617

Music and books have been so important to me throughout my life. I'm so thankful that they I can continue to enjoy them no matter how old I am.

Yep! I began to love reading early on and still to this day read voraciously! I have to admit my favorite guilty pleasure is murder mysteries. I'm sure I could find more important things to do at that time, but sometimes a girl just has to take a bubble bath and read. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a large family on a small farm. Climbing trees,building forts,had a make believe house under a large row of lilac bushes along the road, eating wild apple,strawberries,grapes,blackberries, raspberries. Hiding under the field of ferns in a clearing in the woods. Putting a hammock at the top of a tree with the leaves blowing gently all around me. running into wildlife like a field of deer or the time a family of possums that hung upside down in a tree(as we were waiting for the schoolbus) throwing things at hornet and bees nests and running away like the wind.Riding horses,playing with the baby pigs(they are sooooo cute!) Riding bikes(lots of bruises and scrapped up knees and ankles which reminds me that I went barefoot all summer. :) Star trek was the most watched but on Sunday the wonderful world of Disney would come on and I would hope with all my might that it would be something like snow white or sleeping beauty or lady and the tramp...I think what was on though would be the apple dumpling gang...but we only had three channels and the news is what was on the most...parents always trumped kids as far as the t.v. went. Most of the fun was in the summer...winter was not my favorite time of year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

LindaJ617

Oh...and the practicing of the spock handsign of "Live Long and Prosper" :)

^_^ too funny.

Your memories of growing up on a small farm are very similar to mine. We didn't have a farm but we lived on 15 acres and it was very much the country simple life. I loved the apple and peach trees (not the flies though!) but my favorite was our grape vines. White and concord.
Our garden was full of everything from corn and eggplant to peas and tomatoes. I would love to watch Mom do her canning. She made the best bread and butter pickles!

Our property was surrounded by a towering line of pines. My brother and I would hide behind them and throw snowballs at some poor soul driving by. One stopped, walked up our driveway, knocked on the door and told our parents! Ohh boy did we get a whoopin!

The Sunday night Disney was the best! I had completely forgotten the Apple dumpling gang!

And yep parents trumped kids on TV! We had a hour or maybe two after the bus dropped us off before Mom and Dad got home though. We had 5 channels and yep, the news was always on!

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly they put 2 of the best shows, 6 Million Dollar Man and Disney, on Sunday nights so we seldom got to watch them.

Video games were really cool in the 80's.

The arcade places were cool in the late 70's and early 80's !! We even had a small restaurant inside the arcade that catered to teens...perfect hangout. My favorite game was Ms Pac Man and the guys really liked I think it was called Gallaga? something like that. Roller rinks were a big thing to. All the drive ins around here have been taken out...the closest drive in is about 2 hours from us...drive ins are almost extinct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rainy

In his service forever more~
Dec 20, 2004
USA
✟25,431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow it seems a blink away , I remember when the movies were a dollar, roller skating seeing rocky horror picture show in he car for five dollars. Loved to dirt bike and skate board , and go to the beach. The video game place at the mall was fun.
Fun days

Upvote 0

1Sam24:12

..but mine hand shall not be upon thee. 1Sam24:12.
Jul 17, 2006
✟21,625.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
^ Yes is does!

I remember going to the mall with my best friend and hanging out at Orange Julius. We'd buy nachos with extra jalapenos to see who could eat the most jalapenos first without having anything to drink. Those were the days of having a stomach of steel!

Upvote 0

1Sam24:12

..but mine hand shall not be upon thee. 1Sam24:12.
Jul 17, 2006
✟21,625.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I remember playing Wiffle ball in the front yard with all the neighborhood kids. We all stayed in trouble with the mean lady next door because she would holler, "Get that ball out my yard!" every time a ball would roll into her yard. Ohhhh the memories. ;)

Upvote 0