ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know what Catholics believe and I know what Lutherans believe and I know what Presbyterians believe.

If you're not any of these, what do you believe?
Before I was Catholic I thought of it as a mere commemorative symbolic motion and found little to no spiritual benefit in it.

Upvote 0

Schroeder

Veteran
Jun 10, 2005
OHIO. home of THE Ohio State Buckeyes
✟11,248.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am quaker. Do not do it. It is not commanded. Have taken it though. The use of it in scripture spoke of it as a meal not a rite and not to receive anything in return for doing it. No problem if used to remember christ work for us.

Upvote 0

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mmmcounts said:
I'm non-denominational, and I believe it's symbolic. I'll also add that Jews have gotten sick and died for misuse/mishandling/disrespect of manna, but that doesn't mean it was mystically transformed into the body of Christ.

If you read 1 corinthians 11:23-31 you will see if u mishandled Lords supper people got sick and some died.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmmcounts

Jun 15, 2010
✟15,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you read 1 corinthians 11:23-31 you will see if u mishandled Lords supper people got sick and some died.

Again. Manna, snakes, sickness, death. Manna was something that people had to take just as seriously and with similar results, but that doesn't mean it was mystically transformed.

Let me run it by you one more time. Your argument is that severe, even deadly consequences for mishandling an item of great religious importance strongly implies that it underwent a mystical, miraculous transformation. And I, in turn, am saying this: Look at all them other places where God brings the judgment for mishandling an important religious item which Does Not become mystically transformed. Do you see what I am doing here?

Upvote 0

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something doesn't have to be mystically transformed for the consequence of sin to happen. If you commit adultery you are open to attacks from Satan because sin is present. To mishandle communion or manna was sin. So its the present of sin which opens the door to sickness or disease which comes from the devil.

Upvote 0

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mmmcounts said:
Again. Manna, snakes, sickness, death. Manna was something that people had to take just as seriously and with similar results, but that doesn't mean it was mystically transformed.

Let me run it by you one more time. Your argument is that severe, even deadly consequences for mishandling an item of great religious importance strongly implies that it underwent a mystical, miraculous transformation. And I, in turn, am saying this: Look at all them other places where God brings the judgment for mishandling an important religious item which Does Not become mystically transformed. Do you see what I am doing here?

God told the people not to save it cuz it will rot. If u eat rotten food you can get sick and die. Where in scripture does it talk about mishandling manna cuz I gave u scripture about mishandling communion and some people died

Upvote 0

mmmcounts

Jun 15, 2010
✟15,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God told the people not to save it cuz it will rot. If u eat rotten food you can get sick and die. Where in scripture does it talk about mishandling manna cuz I gave u scripture about mishandling communion and some people died

Numbers 11, Numbers 21. Evidently, God can- and in fact has- judged His people on account of something that did not involve a miraculous transformation from one thing to another. When you say Communion is a serious matter, you are right. But when you make the leap from there to the conclusion that God can only be serious about something if it has been miraculously transformed according to whichever doctrine you call your own, you're not making a valid point- it's a non sequitur. A convenient non sequitur for you, but a non sequitur nonetheless. Put in simpler terms, you transition from "God takes this seriously" to "I am necessarily right in whatever I choose to say about it." That does not follow. The one thing does not necessitate the other thing. Your reasoning is flawed. Common, but flawed.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anglican, so I believe in the Real (physical and spiritual) Presence of Christ in Holy Communion.

When does He become Present? I don't know and it doesn't matter, although logically He is there by the Great Amen.

How exactly does He become Present? I don't know and it doesn't matter, although, again, He is both physically and spiritually there (no half persons; He is either really there or He isn't)

Is there anything of bread and wine with water left? I don't know and it doesn't matter, only that I receive Jesus the Christ each time.

I suppose you could say my Eucharistic theology solely on the "Objective Reality," that is, that Jesus is truly, wholly, really there. Any particulars outside of that don't matter, only that He is there as He Himself taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cajunhillbilly

Jul 4, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟16,522.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Anglican, so I believe in the Real (physical and spiritual) Presence of Christ in Holy Communion.

When does He become Present? I don't know and it doesn't matter, although logically He is there by the Great Amen.

How exactly does He become Present? I don't know and it doesn't matter, although, again, He is both physically and spiritually there (no half persons; He is either really there or He isn't)

Is there anything of bread and wine with water left? I don't know and it doesn't matter, only that I receive Jesus the Christ each time.

I suppose you could say my Eucharistic theology solely on the "Objective Reality," that is, that Jesus is truly, wholly, really there. Any particulars outside of that don't matter, only that He is there as He Himself taught.

Amen :amen::crossrc:

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am quaker. Do not do it. It is not commanded. Have taken it though. The use of it in scripture spoke of it as a meal not a rite and not to receive anything in return for doing it. No problem if used to remember christ work for us.

What do you make of Jesus' words?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.​
(Joh 6:53-56 KJV)

Upvote 0

heweeps

Apr 14, 2011
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When Passover comes we eat of the bread and drink of the wine. And we remember that Jesus gave His blood and His flesh for us. He stood in and suffered my rightful punishment, and I didn't even ask Him. Some days we forget Jesus and only see the cares of the world, but along come Passover and we remember. We remember that God foretold Jesus along time ago in Egypt and called that foretelling Passover, and told His people to remember it. As Jesus did. So we do. We remember that God forgives us, because of the sacrifice Jesus made, He passes over us when He brings judgement. We remember that we did nothing except beg for forgivness. Jesus did it.

Upvote 0

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟55,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am Orthodox, and I believe that the wine and bread become the Body and Blood of Christ, by the action of the Holy Spirit. It is a Holy Mystery and not to be defined beyond that.

Mary

I'm United Methodist.

We affirm the real presence of Christ in Holy Communion. The manner in which this occurs is a "Holy Mystery."

(you can read more in the official document "This Holy Mystery: A United Methodist understanding of Holy Communion")

The prayer of consecration says "Pour out your Holy Spirit upon these gifts of bread and wine and make them be for us the Body and Blood of Christ..."

Upvote 0