Mar 1, 2011
✟1,091.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
prison shouldn't be used for punishment, especially for venial crimes.

However, the pillory, rattan, and lash should be brought back, and used for punishment!

We should be honest about the impulse to punish in our justice system. Using prison as a proxy punishment is foolish because it is expensive and ineffective. So, rather than either not doing anything to stoners (for example!), or throwing them in prison for 3 months, employ a more physical remedy to their cirrhosis'd minds; the lash.

"Hey dude! Ouch! Totally uncool man! Ouch! This is, like, totally, fascism! Ouch!"

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then you don't understand it, especially if you think it's at all like ID or creationism.

Creationism and ID have absolutely zero facts backing it up. It's not science, so it should not be taught as science.

Unless you just want America's students to remain ignorant.

If no one alive today was around to witness either event, then they're two theories.

There are things that scientists accept as facts that support evolution, there are things that people of faith accept as facts that support ID. Event a staunch atheist/evolutionist like Sam Harris has openly said in his speeches that the scientific process is a humbling one in which you learn something tomorrow that completely changes what you thought you knew today and also stated in his own words that evolution is a Scientific theory and always will be since we're missing one critical thing...observation of the entire process itself. He, like you, and I, and most other atheists feel that the findings in nature more strongly support the evolution side of the debate where others see it a different way.

Ignorance is strong term to use especially when talking about one particular theory vs. theory scenario in which the topic itself has no direct impact on IQ or the ability to learn.

Regardless of which side is right, the ACLU and/or federal government is overstepping their bounds by making a distinction in favor of either side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Except that when a Principle is acting in his or her official capacity they are an employee of the state. This invests them with considerably more power and considerably more obligations and responsibilities, both over and for their students. The Principle's right to free speech is not violated, he is just expected to not use his job as an outlet and captive audience for his opinions.

I would say that's a point of debate. If he were requiring children to attend Jesus oriented classes when they didn't want to be there, that would be a 100% valid complaint, but hanging a picture on the wall isn't forcing a belief on anyone. I equate that to my Goodfellas poster I have hanging up in my cube at work. I enjoy the movie so I put the poster up, but that's not forcing anyone to go rent it against their will (although they should rent it if they haven't seen it :D).

Is the fact that it's a religion somehow make it different than any other type of interest from the standpoint of hanging a picture on that wall? Like a picture of his favorite pitcher for example? If a parent who hated that particular ball player filed a complaint, would the ACLU also be justified in suing for that?

Right, but that creates an obligation in schools to address this gap in conversation. It's pretty horrible that someone can stay in school 18 years and only learn about their own culture.

I agree, I lean more toward the side of teaching them all of the options in order to be more well rounded. They didn't teach a lot about any of the religions in my high school including Christianity. If a teacher fails to do so for whatever reason, they should start broadening their lesson plans.

Why? (in reply to me saying that both the nazi flag and the picture of Jesus should be protected)

Freedom of expression. Even if it is a backwards, hurtful, stupid expression of hate (as I feel nazism is), we're in trouble if we're going to let a portion of the group decide for the entire group what's okay to say and think. If someone really wants to hate for a reason as arbitrary as skin color, as long as they don't act it out in a way that infringes on the core rights of others...not a thing we can or should do about it other than shake our heads and make fun of them and talk about how stupid we think nazism is.

Can you see how a principle, posting a picture of jesus in front of his office might convey a different message from a picture of jesus in a history book? Which one would carry more weight to a student? It seems to me that one is supposed to be a figure you live under, whereas the other is a figure to be studied. In my opinion, this an attempt at using a government office to advance a specific religion. You're right, it's ambiguous, but that's why we have courts.

Well, sure it could convey a different message, but until he's a member of congress and starts using it in his lawmaking process, he hasn't overstepped his bounds. I agree that some amendments can be ambiguous, but I don't feel the first amendment is one of them. If it were worded like "Leaders shall not pass any law...etc", then I would say yeah, we need to interprate what leader means. But, it specifically states "congress". Unless we're going to debate what constitutes congress.

I think that before we start this conversation, it's important to define theory. In colloquial usage, theory essentially means 'guess.' I could have a theory about why my girlfriend broke up with me, why my dog won't bark and why my candy bar is warm. Scientific theories have a more rigorous definition, which creationism and ID do not fit. We can discuss this further if you like, but it might be helpful to discuss it in context of a specific legal action, such as Kitzmiller v. Dover or the Scopes trial.

By all means speak your mind, I have no problem branching out into that topic in this thread, I think your first amendment rights should be protected too ;)

Upvote 0
A

AtheistVet

If no one alive today was around to witness either event, then they're two theories.

There are things that scientists accept as facts that support evolution, there are things that people of faith accept as facts that support ID. Event a staunch atheist/evolutionist like Sam Harris has openly said in his speeches that the scientific process is a humbling one in which you learn something tomorrow that completely changes what you thought you knew today and also stated in his own words that evolution is a Scientific theory and always will be since we're missing one critical thing...observation of the entire process itself. He, like you, and I, and most other atheists feel that the findings in nature more strongly support the evolution side of the debate where others see it a different way.

Ignorance is strong term to use especially when talking about one particular theory vs. theory scenario in which the topic itself has no direct impact on IQ or the ability to learn.

Regardless of which side is right, the ACLU and/or federal government is overstepping their bounds by making a distinction in favor of either side.
No they're not. One uses the scientific method and is supported by evidence, the other is ignorant make believe. You act like there's just as much evidence pointing to one theory as there is pointing to another. This is false. They are nowhere near equal.

Upvote 0
A

AtheistVet

However, the pillory, rattan, and lash should be brought back, and used for punishment!

We should be honest about the impulse to punish in our justice system. Using prison as a proxy punishment is foolish because it is expensive and ineffective. So, rather than either not doing anything to stoners (for example!), or throwing them in prison for 3 months, employ a more physical remedy to their cirrhosis'd minds; the lash.

"Hey dude! Ouch! Totally uncool man! Ouch! This is, like, totally, fascism! Ouch!"
Why don't we bring back the rack, the wooden horse, and the iron bull while we're at it?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't think the ACLU would be cool with that ^_^

Although I'm okay with it :)

I got whipped when I got caught smoking pot and suffered no emotional scars. And you're right, it would be a lot cheaper.

It reminds me of the story back in the 90's, I believe the kid's name was Michael Faye...the one who was in Singapore and got caught vandalizing people's luxury cars. He got sentences to lashes and everyone over here was up in arms "they can't do that"

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No they're not. One uses the scientific method and is supported by evidence, the other is ignorant make believe. You act like there's just as much evidence pointing to one theory as there is pointing to another. This is false. They are nowhere near equal.

The methods for developing those theories are different, on that I agree. Evidence is different for different people. For some, the biblical teachings and the feeling they get while reading the bible is evidence to them. I would never settle on that as being evidence, but I wouldn't call them ignorant, they've chosen a different option than me.

Almost every source I can find list the scientific method as follows

Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results

If it passes all of these steps, I would call it a fact. However, the two I've highlighted are impossible because without a time machine to go back billions of years ago, there's no way we can test the hypothesis and verify that what the scientists are telling us is 100% true. I think some evidence is strong in their favor from what I can interprate, but I don't know 100% because some of what they provide and call evidence is also based on a hypothesis they can't fully test so essentially using incomplete data to try to validate other incomplete data.

But all of that aside, it's not the government's place to dictate which is right or wrong, the government's job is to protect the freedom to express both...regardless of how silly other people might think they are.

Upvote 0
I would say that's a point of debate. If he were requiring children to attend Jesus oriented classes when they didn't want to be there, that would be a 100% valid complaint, but hanging a picture on the wall isn't forcing a belief on anyone. I equate that to my Goodfellas poster I have hanging up in my cube at work. I enjoy the movie so I put the poster up, but that's not forcing anyone to go rent it against their will (although they should rent it if they haven't seen it :D).

If you're willing to acknowledge it as a point of debate, I'd say that is a case that might need the examinations of the courts, and so the ACLU is perfectly justified in representing a plaintiff.

Is the fact that it's a religion somehow make it different than any other type of interest from the standpoint of hanging a picture on that wall? Like a picture of his favorite pitcher for example? If a parent who hated that particular ball player filed a complaint, would the ACLU also be justified in suing for that?

Freedom of expression. Even if it is a backwards, hurtful, stupid expression of hate (as I feel nazism is), we're in trouble if we're going to let a portion of the group decide for the entire group what's okay to say and think.

Except that when a Principle decides to hang something outside of his office he is using his office's authority. When he uses that authority to establish a religion (which may need to be proven in trial) he is not doing his job. His job is not to introduce children to Christianity nor is it to encourage them to join Christianity. If he wants to do that, perhaps he should be in a Christian school, or teaching in a church.

If someone really wants to hate for a reason as arbitrary as skin color, as long as they don't act it out in a way that infringes on the core rights of others...not a thing we can or should do about it other than shake our heads and make fun of them and talk about how stupid we think nazism is.

That sounds good in theory, but most of the time that's not the way it works out. In general, what happens is that the majority opinion becomes the rule, and those that break that rule are harassed or censured. It's all very well and good to say "Hey, we can always laugh at them and go to the chocolate shoppe down the street," but for many people, they can't. You wind up getting these odd little blisters of hate in communities. We don't let citizens infringe on other citizens rights. By hanging a picture of Jesus above his office, that Principle was tying his authority to Christianity, the same as a Judge who orders a statue of the 10 commandments. I would say that if students are forced to go to school, they should not be forced to operate under a Christian administration (although it would be fine if they operated under a Christian-run administration).

Well, sure it could convey a different message, but until he's a member of congress and starts using it in his lawmaking process, he hasn't overstepped his bounds.

I agree that some amendments can be ambiguous, but I don't feel the first amendment is one of them. If it were worded like "Leaders shall not pass any law...etc", then I would say yeah, we need to interprate what leader means. But, it specifically states "congress". Unless we're going to debate what constitutes congress.

The accommodation interpretation is long standing and one that the ACLU chooses to endorse. I think that both you and I would similarly bristle if someone were to try to establish a state religion, but I wonder if you would have a problem if a state or county established one democratically, or by means of a few leaders? If the matter is inappropriate, the courts should be able to set the record straight.

By all means speak your mind, I have no problem branching out into that topic in this thread, I think your first amendment rights should be protected too ;)

In general scientific theories need to collate large amounts of evidence, explain them in a coherent way and offer logical predictions that follow from those explanations. Ideas such as Intelligent Design or Creationism are possible in that a omnipotent creator or craftsman could perform an act that would explain the current world, but it uses no mechanisms that we currently know of and it offers us no predictive power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're willing to acknowledge it as a point of debate, I'd say that is a case that might need the examinations of the courts, and so the ACLU is perfectly justified in representing a plaintiff.
Except that when a Principle decides to hang something outside of his office he is using his office's authority. When he uses that authority to establish a religion (which may need to be proven in trial) he is not doing his job. His job is not to introduce children to Christianity nor is it to encourage them to join Christianity. If he wants to do that, perhaps he should be in a Christian school, or teaching in a church.

I guess they can file a lawsuit for anything they like, but if the judge is ruling in their favor, I'm a bit concerned that our judicial system hasn't read the constitution.

By hanging a picture of Jesus above his office, that Principle was tying his authority to Christianity, the same as a Judge who orders a statue of the 10 commandments. I would say that if students are forced to go to school, they should not be forced to operate under a Christian administration (although it would be fine if they operated under a Christian-run administration).

If we let presidents (on both sides) openly convey their Christianity, why would we not allow the same of a high school teacher?

The accommodation interpretation is long standing and one that the ACLU chooses to endorse. I think that both you and I would similarly bristle if someone were to try to establish a state religion, but I wonder if you would have a problem if a state or county established one democratically, or by means of a few leaders? If the matter is inappropriate, the courts should be able to set the record straight.

While this interpretation isn't too far off from what the actual text, my opinion is still that the amendment is cut and dry so there's no need for trying to guess what the founding fathers meant by creating different interpretations.

In general scientific theories need to collate large amounts of evidence, explain them in a coherent way and offer logical predictions that follow from those explanations. Ideas such as Intelligent Design or Creationism are possible in that a omnipotent creator or craftsman could perform an act that would explain the current world, but it uses no mechanisms that we currently know of and it offers us no predictive power.

I agree with you 100% from the aspect of science, however as I stated before, I don't feel that the government or 3rd party organization should be making that distinction in favor of one or the other. Both sides should be able to speak their mind.

I would be the first one defending an evolutionist teacher if someone told them they couldn't teach that as well.

Upvote 0
If we let presidents (on both sides) openly convey their Christianity, why would we not allow the same of a high school teacher?

I don't think the issue is so much that he is openly conveying his christianity as it is that he is asserting Jesus as an authority over the school, the same way that the flag over the post office says "HEY UNITED STATES HERE." As for whether I think that US presidents should be as vocal about their religiousity as they are, well, I'll give you one guess as to what my opinion is. ;)

While this interpretation isn't too far off from what the actual text, my opinion is still that the amendment is cut and dry so there's no need for trying to guess what the founding fathers meant by creating different interpretations.

That is a very interesting interpretation as well.

I agree with you 100% from the aspect of science, however as I stated before, I don't feel that the government or 3rd party organization should be making that distinction in favor of one or the other. Both sides should be able to speak their mind.

Would you say the same thing about a medical doctor teaching astrology in his classroom? The public school system is supposed to educate students, not give teachers a platform for their opinions. If you're willing to agree that evolution is science and ID and creationism are not, than I don't understand what the purpose of teaching it in a science classroom would serve, except to grant ID and creationism the authority of science. This seems like a deliberate attempt to mislead students. I'm curious what you think of the ACLU's role in Dover if you don't mind speaking to that.

Upvote 0

ryeaber

lurker - student of logic
Sep 28, 2011
✟15,230.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's clear that they take the anti-Christian side. A principal puts up a picture of Jesus outside of his office, a secular parent complains, and the ACLU send their lawyers out to defend the parents who are being "offended". A science teacher exercises their right to teach evolution in their curriculum, a Christian parent files a complaint, and the ACLU sends their lawyers out to defend the teacher.

I don’t know if it matters, but the complainants in this case weren’t secular – they were Jewish and Catholic.

So you think it would be fine if one of your children (or any school visitors, for that matter), while waiting outside of the principal’s office, has to look at a picture of the Ayatollah? Or lines of the Koran? Do you think the principal would be within his rights to hang that material up outside of his office without any context?

In regards to them defending a teacher because a parent is “offended” because the teacher is teaching evolution, they’re defending the law, not the teacher. The law says that evolution is science, and creationism isn’t. There was already caselaw on the subject of the picture – courts had already decided on the exact same situation. Same exact painting, same exact placement. It was more than someone just being “offended” – it was already determined to be illegal.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know if it matters, but the complainants in this case weren’t secular – they were Jewish and Catholic.

So you think it would be fine if one of your children (or any school visitors, for that matter), while waiting outside of the principal’s office, has to look at a picture of the Ayatollah? Or lines of the Koran? Do you think the principal would be within his rights to hang that material up outside of his office without any context?

Yes, he would be within his rights. I might not like it and think it's in bad taste (and I may even go as far as telling him those exact things), but that doesn't dictate whether or not he has the right to do so.

In regards to them defending a teacher because a parent is “offended” because the teacher is teaching evolution, they’re defending the law, not the teacher. The law says that evolution is science, and creationism isn’t. There was already caselaw on the subject of the picture – courts had already decided on the exact same situation. Same exact painting, same exact placement. It was more than someone just being “offended” – it was already determined to be illegal.

Yes, they are defending the law in that scenario as they should. However, they need to be consistent on when they decide to defend the law. Would the ALCU have the same approach if a science teacher presented info from the following sources?

ICR Research
Evidence from Science

I doubt they would.

And yes, I know I'm going to get several posts saying that "The ICR isn't real science", and "make-believe" since I've already seen other posts that suggest that any research that doesn't end in a conclusion of 100% atheistic-evolution must be "ignorant".

As I mentioned before, neither is officially a fact since that time has already passed and nobody was around to observe either. On one side, we have scientific studies that form educated guesses (which is the one I happen to side with from a personal standpoint) and the other has supposed eyewitness account passed down through history...neither side has concrete evidence so neither can truly be taught with the same scientific certainty as other scientific concepts like which elements are combustable, how blood carries oxygen, what causes earthquakes, and other things of that nature.

If they're going to dictate how science can be taught from a perspective of fairness, it should be to allow both, or to allow neither. If they're going to dictate it from a Constitutional perspective, it should be to allow both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ryeaber

lurker - student of logic
Sep 28, 2011
✟15,230.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, he would be within his rights. I might not like it and think it's in bad taste (and I may even go as far as telling him those exact things), but that doesn't dictate whether or not he has the right to do so.

Props for being consistent. I still don't think that this is a matter of being offended though, and more a subject of law and promoting one religion over another. To their credit (and I don't think this was mentioned in the news articles) the school tried to get the complainants to accept a wall of teachers type of scenario where not just Jesus, but other teachers from other religions would be presented. That would have been ok, and the ACLU agreed, but the original complainants refused. You know what they say about bad apples, right?

Yes, they are defending the law in that scenario as they should. However, they need to be consistent on when they decide to defend the law. Would the ALCU have the same approach if a science teacher presented info from the following sources?

ICR Research
Evidence from Science

I doubt they would.

And yes, I know I'm going to get several posts saying that "The ICR isn't real science", and "make-believe" since I've already seen other posts that suggest that any research that doesn't end in a conclusion of 100% atheistic-evolution must be "ignorant".

As I mentioned before, neither is officially a fact since that time has already passed and nobody was around to observe either. On one side, we have scientific studies that form educated guesses (which is the one I happen to side with from a personal standpoint) and the other has supposed eyewitness account passed down through history...neither side has concrete evidence so neither can truly be taught with the same scientific certainty as other scientific concepts like which elements are combustable, how blood carries oxygen, what causes earthquakes, and other things of that nature.

If they're going to dictate how science can be taught from a perspective of fairness, it should be to allow both, or to allow neither. If they're going to dictate it from a Constitutional perspective, it should be to allow both.

Well yes - it's already gone to court. The ACLU would not "defend" the teacher using material from the ICR - and would be the ones trying to restrict that teacher from using any material from the ICR. The law says that the ICR isn't real science, and cannot be taught in science class (McClean v. Arkansas). The judge in that case said the following;

The approach to teaching "creation science" and "evolution- science" found in Act 590 is identical to the two-model approach espoused by the Institute for Creation Research and is taken almost verbatim from ICR writings. It is an extension of Fundamentalists' view that one must either accept the literal interpretation of Genesis or else believe in the godless system of evolution.
See also Edwards v. Aguillard; for something even more on point.

If evolution is taught in public school science classes, shouldn't other theories about the origins and development of life also be taught at the same time? Isn't the focus on just one idea narrow-minded? Some believe that it is and therefore argue that there should be "balance" - if one theory (evolution) about life is taught, then "the other" theory (creationism) should also be taught.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the issue is so much that he is openly conveying his christianity as it is that he is asserting Jesus as an authority over the school, the same way that the flag over the post office says "HEY UNITED STATES HERE." As for whether I think that US presidents should be as vocal about their religiousity as they are, well, I'll give you one guess as to what my opinion is. ;)

Your opinion is probably the same as mine on that one, which would be "keep the Jesus stuff to yourself", but I have no constitutional grounds to enforce that (or try to get the court to enforce it for me)

Would you say the same thing about a medical doctor teaching astrology in his classroom? The public school system is supposed to educate students, not give teachers a platform for their opinions. If you're willing to agree that evolution is science and ID and creationism are not, than I don't understand what the purpose of teaching it in a science classroom would serve, except to grant ID and creationism the authority of science. This seems like a deliberate attempt to mislead students. I'm curious what you think of the ACLU's role in Dover if you don't mind speaking to that.

Well, where I would say that a more accruate analogy would be a scenario where two doctors are teaching med school, one wants to teach faith healing as a theory and the other wants to teach "new age medicine" as a theory. Then, an organization comes in and picks a side and says that they're not allowed to teach the other one. While one has more of a grounding in medicine than the other, neither can be proported as medical facts so why are the making an exception for one theory but not the other? Shouldn't it be an all or nothing sort of thing?

I'm assuming this is the dover case you're talking about?
Victory in the Challenge to Intelligent Design | American Civil Liberties Union

What I found interesting is that the arguments they present against teaching ID is that very similar arguments could be made against evolution and the big bang theory (in terms of the origin of man)

-cannot be tested by the scientific method
-makes an assertion that an extrordinary and rare event occured that put everything in motion
-inserts a personal theory into science, as if it were scientific fact

I'm still trying to figure out how intelligent design is inherently religious as they claim? I wasn't aware that they made reference to a particular diety or enforced any religious dogmas of any kind (although I could be wrong on that) the terms creator & creation don't necessarily = religion. I think that's why the writers of the declaration of indepence used the term "creator" and not "Jesus" even though most of the writers and signers were Christian.

....or how it's in direct opposition to evolution for that matter? The more I thought about it, I know people who are theistic evolutionists who feel that evolution was the "how" and not the "what" so technically those folks would support both, would they not?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well yes - it's already gone to court. The ACLU would not "defend" the teacher using material from the ICR - and would be the ones trying to restrict that teacher from using any material from the ICR. The law says that the ICR isn't real science, and cannot be taught in science class (McClean v. Arkansas)

I guess that's the part that bugs me the most (even as an atheist who supports evolution). It's not the Judges place to trump the constitution or make up his own interpretation when the existing text is pretty clear on the rules. For that matter, I don't know if it's a Judges place to define what science is either ^_^

These Judges keep doing this on the grounds that the ICR and term "Creator" is favoring a particular religion when that's not the case. At least I hope not...If "creator" favors one particular faith, then the Declaration of Independence is an illegal document and we still belong to Britain.

Upvote 0
Well, where I would say that a more accruate analogy would be a scenario where two doctors are teaching med school, one wants to teach faith healing as a theory and the other wants to teach "new age medicine" as a theory. Then, an organization comes in and picks a side and says that they're not allowed to teach the other one. While one has more of a grounding in medicine than the other, neither can be proported as medical facts so why are the making an exception for one theory but not the other? Shouldn't it be an all or nothing sort of thing?

Not if one theory is well tested and well supported. I'll get back to how we do test evolution in a moment. Also, I think you should consider that the judge was a conservative, Lutheran judge appointed by George W. Bush; this was hardly the decision of a liberal activist, or the fault of an organization that pressed its will on an unhappy populace.

Yup.

What I found interesting is that the arguments they present against teaching ID is that very similar arguments could be made against evolution and the big bang theory (in terms of the origin of man)

-cannot be tested by the scientific method
-makes an assertion that an extrordinary and rare event occured that put everything in motion
-inserts a personal theory into science, as if it were scientific fact

You can argue that, but I think that you're twisting some words here. Evolution can be tested by the scientific method. There are logical conclusions that follow from these theories, and, if we were to find evidence that went against them in significant ways they would be overturned. I am not a physicist, but a grad student in biology, so I'd prefer to discuss things that I have a working knowledge of if that's ok with you (there are however some physicists in the Physical and Life Sciences board that would be better equipped to discuss the big bang theory).

I'm still trying to figure out how intelligent design is inherently religious as they claim? I wasn't aware that they made reference to a particular diety or enforced any religious dogmas of any kind (although I could be wrong on that) the terms creator & creation don't necessarily = religion. I think that's why the writers of the declaration of indepence used the term "creator" and not "Jesus" even though most of the writers and signers were Christian.

It was mostly a combination of Michael Behe's testimony, and the fact that the Dover school board wanted to use a textbook called Of Panda's and People. The textbook, rather than elucidating any new ideas, was simply a repackaged creationist textbook, with words like "creation" replaced with words like "design." One unpublished copy even contained the passage: "Evolutionists think the former is correct, cdesign proponentsists accept the latter view."

Behe was one of the leading figures pushing for intelligent design, and was a respected biochemist. Unfortunately, his testimony leaved a lot to be desired. I'll give you this link that offers excerpts from the judge's decision:

Kitzmiller v. Dover: Michael Behe’s Testimony | The Sensuous Curmudgeon

....or how it's in direct opposition to evolution for that matter? The more I thought about it, I know people who are theistic evolutionists who feel that evolution was the "how" and not the "what" so technically those folks would support both, would they not?

Well, I tend to think that theistic evolution is unnecessarily complicated; you don't need a god figure to do the work, so why have one? Might as well throw in a few thunder gods while you're at it, and a gravity god, and an E. coli god and any number of gods to make the world work. Heck, why not have two or three gods at every post so that they can take shifts.

In terms of intelligent design however, it was a fairly blatant attempt at inserting religion into schools, and was driven by agenda rather than research. Check it out:

http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.pdf

I think it's important to note that the fight on evolution v. creationism/intelligent design is being fought in our high schools, rather than in our colleges or graduate schools. These folks aren't trying to speak to informed audiences, but want an uninformed audience to talk to.

Upvote 0