Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, it is you who are missing the point. You come into the Christian section and make a theological statement that Genesis should be read and treated as an allegory. In return, I am asking for you to show cause, from scripture, that God intended us to read and treat it as such. If what you say is sound doctrine surely it won't be too hard to show?

Yet all you can say in response is my treatment of scientists? What I think is they have this groaning corrupt world and they are testing it and getting back an array of answers that has nothing to do with the world God created.

I never mentioned walking on the moon nor am I a flat earth believer, you can take that up with Kinable and anyone else here who holds that view.
Many times interpretation of scripture is validated by external evidence, including archaeology, historical documents, and science. And most of the people I know about and have read articles and books they wrote concerning such validation are Christians. I came into this Christian forum because I am a Christian. I was hoping to get some intelligent dialog concerning the problem I see, although I'm starting to see that such dialog is hard to come by.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many times interpretation of scripture is validated by external evidence, including archaeology, historical documents, and science.
I'll take your word for it.

But when external evidence, including archaeology, historical documents, and science venture into areas where no evidence was generated, then external evidence, including archaeology, historical documents, and science can just turn around and venture back out.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i agree with this. Sound arguments as to why the creation story in Genesis must be taken literally are discounted with insults and put downs. Textual references that illustrate the correct understanding are immediately discounted not because they do not speak truth, but because they are in disagreement with the respondents personal views in error. That is not evidence...actually, it does provide excellent evidence against the belief that drives such comments!

Everyone is always in a rush to defend the main point-which for this thread was a
light travel time problem, which is only a problem to those who believe science knows it all. Since no one can test the world as God created it, I think it's as silly to try and use creation science since they too only have the groaning world and their own human understanding.

Many times interpretation of scripture is validated by external evidence, including archaeology, historical documents, and science. And most of the people I know about and have read articles and books they wrote concerning such validation are Christians. I came into this Christian forum because I am a Christian. I was hoping to get some intelligent dialog concerning the problem I see, although I'm starting to see that such dialog is hard to come by.

You only see an issue because your focus is on what science says. You believe it holds truth. So to hold onto that you have to claim Genesis 1 must be an allegory because there is no other position for you to hold onto. I am not saying you are not a Christian I would never do that, but your focus is on science without even the possibility that science is wrong or mistaken due to us not knowing half of what we think we know. I already mentioned that there is the theory of an open expanding universe and a bound universe and asked what if both are wrong? We are nothing compared to God and for mankind to think he understands the universe is utter arrogance.

You made a theological statement -a controversial theological statement- and it is completely reasonable for me to ask you to back that up.

My point is that I am hoping as a Christian you will think about what I have said and study what scripture says. Science is merely man's opinion -however educated it is- about the current world, scripture is God's breathed word to us.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: AdamjEdgar
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

By the way I am not denying all external sources, understanding the culture can be a big help in understanding certain passages. But other books are still just someone's opinion and no matter how educated and well researched they can still contain error because people are not infallible, only God is.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Therefore what He SAYS in the Bible has to measure up to the reality of what is observed

It does if you stop looking at days as literal days, and look at them instead as we do epochs, eras, or ages. God is infinite after all, who is describing the creation event to people without a great mathematical ability. I'm sure saying a day to an infinite being is a really long long time, and God did this in what were to Him, days.

We get the point without it being a stumbling block... until you start looking at it with very modern eyes. Even then you have to understand God as well as the people back then, to stumble no more. :)

God created all we see and know, and probably much more - who knows but God? We get it... we can move on without obsessing over minutiae .. Genesis wasn't a blueprint of how God managed it, nor was it intended to be ( and thank God for that - I may never have understood it!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Genesis wasn't a blueprint of how God managed it, nor was it intended to be ( and thank God for that - I may never have understood it!)
But you can manage it now, by turning it into a fairy tale?

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But you can manage it now, by turning it into a fairy tale?

how is 6 epochs or ages from our limited human point of view any more of a fairy tale than the earth was created in 6 literal days some 6,000 years ago despite all evidence to the contrary?

God, an infinite being, created all, in what was to him 6 days, which to us is a very long long time (a day is like a thousand years expresses this concept).

Cool beans - and not irrational nor against scripture in any way shape or form, and does not diminish God's work in any way.

Man already says the universe was created in 5 ages... what's so far fetched about saying nope - missed one! Because God said this... and this is how we understand it.

It's far less far fetched, in my personal opinion, as ascribing to that which is irrational is not required, and it fits like a glove inside the Holy Scriptures, in full accord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
how is 6 epochs or ages from our limited human point of view any more of a fairy tale than the earth was created in 6 literal days some 6,000 years ago despite all evidence to the contrary?

God, an infinite being, created all, in what was to him 6 days, which to us is a very long long time (a day is like a thousand years expresses this concept).

Cool beans - and not irrational nor against scripture in any way shape or form, and does not diminish God's work in any way.

Man already says the universe was created in 5 ages... what's so far fetched about saying nope - missed one! Because God said this... and this is how we understand it.
So lemon trees, for example, existed a thousand years before the sun?

Back in 2008, I made this thread:
Put Genesis 1 in chronological order, with respect to evolution.

It's point still stands.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So lemon trees, for example, existed a thousand years before the sun?

Back in 2008, I made this thread:

It's point still stands.

I don't believe in evolution. and as I'm currently in the car I'll have to get back to you on anything in depth...

But God created laws that every creates thing follows - but man. Laws of Physics, of thermodynamics etc ect etc etc.. everything revolves around laws created by God himself - except man. Only man rebelled.

Things such as this take time in our understanding... to God? not so much!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But God created laws that every created thing follows - but man.
No argument there.

But when God circumvents those laws in a process called "performing miracles," science goes 404.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in evolution. and as I'm currently in the car I'll have to get back to you on anything in depth...

But God created laws that every creates thing follows - but man. Laws of Physics, of thermodynamics etc ect etc etc.. everything revolves around laws created by God himself - except man. Only man rebelled.

Things such as this take time in our understanding... to God? not so much!
Actually that is categorically false.
Re read the fall of man again. What was the punishment for sin...
Eve would experience pain in childbirth
The serpent would crawl on its belly
The ground would produce weeds

The point is, God cursed the earth. That means that the perfection of the earth was from that point forth set on a downhill slide.
Now if the original creation was faultless and to last forever, then for it to be cursed the laws of science that originally facilitated that everlasting perfection were changed...and sin is responsible for this essentially. I think because without God, everything dies. Where is the science in that exactly?

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone is always in a rush to defend the main point-which for this thread was a
light travel time problem, which is only a problem to those who believe science knows it all. Since no one can test the world as God created it, I think it's as silly to try and use creation science since they too only have the groaning world and their own human understanding.

You only see an issue because your focus is on what science says. You believe it holds truth. So to hold onto that you have to claim Genesis 1 must be an allegory because there is no other position for you to hold onto. I am not saying you are not a Christian I would never do that, but your focus is on science without even the possibility that science is wrong or mistaken due to us not knowing half of what we think we know. I already mentioned that there is the theory of an open expanding universe and a bound universe and asked what if both are wrong? We are nothing compared to God and for mankind to think he understands the universe is utter arrogance.

You made a theological statement -a controversial theological statement- and it is completely reasonable for me to ask you to back that up.

My point is that I am hoping as a Christian you will think about what I have said and study what scripture says. Science is merely man's opinion -however educated it is- about the current world, scripture is God's breathed word to us.
I've already stated clearly what scripture says about it in regard to its purpose. It's not a science textbook and was not meant to be. This is the reason why I said that trying to make it so is a fool's errand.

Now you claim that I focus on an issue because it's what 'science' says. Well, whenever you see the sunrise, do you understand that what you are seeing is due to the rotation of the Earth? If so, then you interpret the phrase "the rising of the sun" in scripture according to your scientific understanding of it. So do you know how the ancients understood the sunrise? Do you have evidence of how they understood it?

And it follows, do you claim that Gen. 1 should be understood miraculously and not scientifically? And if you claim it should be understood that way, then why bother to claim that "day" means the 24 hour period we know today, calling it "literal interpretation," since the 24 hour period is known scientifically by observation?

Can't you see that there is a problem with that since the sun was created on day 4? Then how could day 1-3 be the same 24 hour period we know today if "day" literally means sunrise to sunset, and "night" means sunset to sunrise, as we know it today? If you claim that day 1-3 were miraculous day/night periods, then why make it 24 hours, since you are already making it non-literal?

But you refuse to consider that ancient Hebrews regarded the light of the day to be produced by something other than the sun, and that the sun was in the "firmament," that is, the dome above the air, where also the stars resided. This information is not coming from scientists, but rather theologians and historians. And you refuse to consider that the Gen. 1 account fits exactly in this paradigm. My point is that the YUC (Young-Universe-Creationist) position is just as much opinion as the opinion of scientists who don't believe that Gen. 1 is a scientific account.

The phrase "rising of the sun" is stated from the viewpoint of someone standing on the Earth, and is not a scientific idea, but an observational one. Yet, you know from science that the phrase is referring to a particular time in the rotation of the Earth. So why don't you interpret that phrase literally, meaning that the sun actually rises and sets? Why claim that you believe it's due to the rotation of the Earth? Why claim that the Earth revolves around the sun, since there is no scripture to back it up? But the words sunrise and sunset imply that the sun revolves around the Earth, and this is indeed what was believed for thousands of years.

The point in all this is that you conform your interpretation of certain scripture according to your knowledge of science. You regard the terms sunrise and sunset to be figures of speech that have meaning based on scientific knowledge. And then you claim that you are interpreting it literally. Of course I am assuming that you do all this, because I assume that you have common sense.

And you would not have any reason to believe that the Earth revolved around the sun, unless someone told you so, or you observed it yourself through a telescope. Therefore, your understanding of the terms "sunrise" and "day" are based on your knowledge of science.

With that said, don't you think it is reasonable to say that your interpretation of Gen. 1 might be wrong, since everyone's interpretation of "sunrise" was wrong for thousands of years? Don't you think it reasonable to revisit our interpretation of scripture based on what we observe as real when we gain knowledge of it? That's essentially what you do anyway, as you live your life and gain experience in your Christian life, isn't it? Don't you revisit how you read scripture whenever you gain more knowledge and understanding?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No argument there.

But when God circumvents those laws in a process called "performing miracles," science goes 404.

I would agree, but I think a being with infinite knowledge can make something that with enough knowledge seems tangible and repeatable, but our human minds are simply unable to yet grasp also..

but thats just musing on that which is unknowable..

God is God, after all ..:)

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually that is categorically false.
Re read the fall of man again. What was the punishment for sin...
Eve would experience pain in childbirth
The serpent would crawl on its belly
The ground would produce weeds

The point is, God cursed the earth. That means that the perfection of the earth was from that point forth set on a downhill slide.
Now if the original creation was faultless and to last forever, then for it to be cursed the laws of science that originally facilitated that everlasting perfection were changed...and sin is responsible for this essentially. I think because without God, everything dies. Where is the science in that exactly?

Good point there..

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It was 6 regular days upon the earth. While God is outside of time his creation is not.
Exodus 20:11
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Not just creation upon the earth but also the heavens. Now just what heavens include is debatable but the Lexicon I looked at says it means sky. So it's possible this does include the universe or maybe it doesn't.

But upon the earth, it is very clear that God took 6 days. He created Adam on day 6 and Adam died 930 years later. If each day were some huge long time frame and Adam was created on day 6 then he would have died before day 7 but he didn't, it was long past day 6 or 7when he died.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've already stated clearly what scripture says about it in regard to its purpose. It's not a science textbook and was not meant to be. This is the reason why I said that trying to make it so is a fool's errand.

You have given me no scripture at all. You simply stated what you believe with zero scripture.

I never said it was. I don't care about science. I've said this a few times but will say it again. Science is mankind striving to understand what he sees through tests and observations. But they only have the groaning world to test and observe, not the world God created. It can't give answers to something that is gone. It's a fool's errand on both sides if they think it shows how things came to be. The Bible is truth, it is the truth of what happened. I have scripture so why would I need to listen to the fumblings of men who weren't there and don't know everything. God was there, God does know everything. He says he created the world in 6 days, so he did.

Now you claim that I focus on an issue because it's what 'science' says. Well, whenever you see the sunrise, do you understand that what you are seeing is due to the rotation of the Earth? If so, then you interpret the phrase "the rising of the sun" in scripture according to your scientific understanding of it. So do you know how the ancients understood the sunrise? Do you have evidence of how they understood it?

You 100% believe those stars to be 4 billion years old because scientists say it is. It doesn't even cross your mind as a possibility that they are wrong. So yes you are focused on science. You certainly didn't get the idea from scripture.

I know the sunrise is most likely to be from the rotation of the earth. I say most likely because I am also not opposed to a flat earth but I really don't think it is. I honestly don't care what shape the earth is.
The difference with the shape of the earth vs some '4 billion-year-old supernova' is men did go into outer space and walk on the moon and take pictures. It was observed and recorded. It wasn't decided upon by someone in a lab using mathematics and experiments. No one was there to see and record those other events. That is the difference.
Now there are people who claim those are fakes. The main reason I don't believe the earth is flat has nothing to do with science and everything to do with the human condition. For the pictures from space to be faked would take a massive hoax. For it to be a massive hoax someone/s would need to be making an extraordinarily large amount of money or some other huge gain. No one is going to spend billions of dollars for funsies. Again no one had an answer to this, not even the flat earth believers who have everything to gain by it being a hoax. If the Bible taught that the earth was flat I would believe it -it doesn't. That is a complete myth. I looked at every verse they gave me, nope not one says "The earth is flat".
The Bible says God sits above the circle of the earth and that is all. Both a flat circle or a round ball can look circular from a distance.

And it follows, do you claim that Gen. 1 should be understood miraculously and not scientifically? And if you claim it should be understood that way, then why bother to claim that "day" means the 24 hour period we know today, calling it "literal interpretation," since the 24 hour period is known scientifically by observation?

The whole point of the use of day is because God created both the day and the week for us. This is when he established it and he did so that when he told the Israelites to work for 6 and rest on one as a Holy day they understood. And we know Genesis means regular day because of the word usage it contains. Morning and evening and a number always indicate regular days in Hebrew. The author intended it to be taken literally.

What more could the author (who I believe was Moses) have done to show the readers that it was literal? What more could have written to convince you? I have asked that question before and said if Mosses had said "God created the word in 6 regular length days" would you then believe him? -the answer was no. No, they would still take science over God's word. Tell me that isn't faith, faith in science.

Jesus said to believe the words of Mosses.
John 5:46
If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me.

God could have created the earth in 6 seconds if he had wished. But then that would not have impressed upon us how special mankind is. That the earth and we are special, that we are made in the image of God. Frankly, 6 days is God taking his time.
The fact that he let Adam be alone for a short time was so he would feel the longing for companionship.
Adam was created on day 6, if each day including day 6 were really thousands upon thousands of years Adam would have been dead long before day 7. He was created on day 6 and lived 930 years after he was created. Only possible if the days were actual days.

Can't you see that there is a problem with that since the sun was created on day 4? Then how could day 1-3 be the same 24 hour period we know today if "day" literally means sunrise to sunset, and "night" means sunset to sunrise, as we know it today? If you claim that day 1-3 were miraculous day/night periods, then why make it 24 hours, since you are already making it non-literal?

I will tell you why I think God waited until day 4, it was to downplay the importance of the sun, moon and stars because people were inclined to worship them.

The scripture says God created light. If light shines on a turning ball you get a cycle of light and dark. But even if it wasn't done that way. Let's say the earth is actually flat (again I really don't think so) If God wanted it to have a day and night cycle he could because he's God. God isn't a man constrained to natural laws, he is the creator of those laws and he can change them at will.

But you refuse to consider that ancient Hebrews regarded the light of the day to be produced by something other than the sun, and that the sun was in the "firmament," that is, the dome above the air, where also the stars resided. This information is not coming from scientists, but rather theologians and historians. And you refuse to consider that the Gen. 1 account fits exactly in this paradigm. My point is that the YUC (Young-Universe-Creationist) position is just as much opinion as the opinion of scientists who don't believe that Gen. 1 is a scientific account.

Kind of hard to consider when this is the first time you have mentioned it. Either that or I didn't see it.
"ancient Hebrews regarded the light of the day to be produced by something other than the sun"
This is not something I know about. I would have to look it up.

The phrase "rising of the sun" is stated from the viewpoint of someone standing on the Earth, and is not a scientific idea, but an observational one. Yet, you know from science that the phrase is referring to a particular time in the rotation of the Earth. So why don't you interpret that phrase literally, meaning that the sun actually rises and sets? Why claim that you believe it's due to the rotation of the Earth? Why claim that the Earth revolves around the sun, since there is no scripture to back it up? But the words sunrise and sunset imply that the sun revolves around the Earth, and this is indeed what was believed for thousands of years.

I already answered that. We all know it's figurative language because it's from poetry. There are different types of passages in scripture.
The Rising of the Sun is from a Psalm, the book of Psalms are songs and poems which is a comply different type of literature to Genesis 1 which is history.
Psalm 113:3
3 From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets,
the name of the Lord is to be praised.

The Psalms also say "The leaves clap their hands" Again because it's poetry. Poetry is allowed to take poetic licence. I assume you do know what that is.
Poetry can be used to support a literal text but you can't build a doctrine on just poetry.
The Bible does not teach that the earth is flat and if people took it to mean that then that is on them isn't it. But there are no literal texts saying 'the earth is flat'

The point in all this is that you conform your interpretation of certain scripture according to your knowledge of science. You regard the terms sunrise and sunset to be figures of speech that have meaning based on scientific knowledge. And then you claim that you are interpreting it literally. Of course I am assuming that you do all this, because I assume that you have common sense.

Already answered this, you keep repeating yourself. As I said before eyewitness photographs of something occurring right now is vastly different to mathematical assumptions about things 4 billion years ago and if you can't see the difference then I give up.

And you would not have any reason to believe that the Earth revolved around the sun, unless someone told you so, or you observed it yourself through a telescope. Therefore, your understanding of the terms "sunrise" and "day" are based on your knowledge of science.

Again, I don't really care if it does or not even though I assume it does. I am not saying that science isn't clever or given us many things but I know:
1. This world is not the world God created.
2. Man does not know everything but God does.
3. When God says 6 days, he means 6 days. The rest of the scriptures supports this. It supports a literal Adam, a literal fall, a literal flood, a literal Jesus with a literal death and resurrection and a literal remaking of the current world into a new world.

With that said, don't you think it is reasonable to say that your interpretation of Gen. 1 might be wrong, since everyone's interpretation of "sunrise" was wrong for thousands of years? Don't you think it reasonable to revisit our interpretation of scripture based on what we observe as real when we gain knowledge of it? That's essentially what you do anyway, as you live your life and gain experience in your Christian life, isn't it? Don't you revisit how you read scripture whenever you gain more knowledge and understanding?

If it was only Genesis 1 and if there were scripture backing up the view of it being an allegory I would look at it.
I think I asked you 3 times for scripture to back up your view that it should be read as an allegory. You have none just like everyone else I have ever asked.

You make a theological statement with zero scripture back up, and expect it to be taken as a serious Biblical position? That's a joke.
Apart from that many verses hang on it being literal. I only shared a few, but there are so many more. You didn't even acknowledge the few I quoted let alone attempt to answer them. No, you pointedly ignored them, yet you expect me to answer you.

I didn't start out as a creationist, I became one at about 26-27 or thereabouts after some very good teaching on how the entirety of scripture hangs together. When God remakes the world he isn't making it back to some primordial soup, he is making it back to what it first was, a paradise. It is a full circle beginning with perfection and ending with perfection. It completely fits together like a thousand-piece jig-saw and it is a far more marvellous and beautiful a picture than any so-called ape-like ancestors turning into men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You have given me no scripture at all. You simply stated what you believe with zero scripture.
I've stated scripture, and when I talk about it, anyone familiar with scripture will know that I'm talking about it. Your argument here doesn't hold water, then.

I do admit, though, that if you quote scripture with an argument that I don't see relevant to the OP, I tend to ignore it. Still, I will say that you're missing the point, which implies that I think what you're quoting doesn't resolve anything.

I never said it was. I don't care about science. I've said this a few times but will say it again. Science is mankind striving to understand what he sees through tests and observations. But they only have the groaning world to test and observe, not the world God created. It can't give answers to something that is gone. It's a fool's errand on both sides if they think it shows how things came to be. The Bible is truth, it is the truth of what happened. I have scripture so why would I need to listen to the fumblings of men who weren't there and don't know everything. God was there, God does know everything. He says he created the world in 6 days, so he did.
And what is wrong with science, since you seem to be so contrary with it? The scientific method observes and tests to verify. It's the very same method crime detectives use to establish truth about what happened concerning crimes. It's the very same method a good interpreter of the Bible uses to establish the truth about Biblical issues. The apostle Paul commanded the Corinthians to test themselves, to see whether (or not) they be in the faith. That takes testing and observation. Just because some scientists are atheists doesn't negate the scientific method. To say so is like saying because there are hypocrites in the churches, Christianity is no good.

You 100% believe those stars to be 4 billion years old because scientists say it is. It doesn't even cross your mind as a possibility that they are wrong. So yes you are focused on science. You certainly didn't get the idea from scripture.

I know the sunrise is most likely to be from the rotation of the earth. I say most likely because I am also not opposed to a flat earth but I really don't think it is. I honestly don't care what shape the earth is.
The difference with the shape of the earth vs some '4 billion-year-old supernova' is men did go into outer space and walk on the moon and take pictures. It was observed and recorded. It wasn't decided upon by someone in a lab using mathematics and experiments. No one was there to see and record those other events. That is the difference.
Now there are people who claim those are fakes. The main reason I don't believe the earth is flat has nothing to do with science and everything to do with the human condition. For the pictures from space to be faked would take a massive hoax. For it to be a massive hoax someone/s would need to be making an extraordinarily large amount of money or some other huge gain. No one is going to spend billions of dollars for funsies. Again no one had an answer to this, not even the flat earth believers who have everything to gain by it being a hoax. If the Bible taught that the earth was flat I would believe it -it doesn't. That is a complete myth. I looked at every verse they gave me, nope not one says "The earth is flat".
The Bible says God sits above the circle of the earth and that is all. Both a flat circle or a round ball can look circular from a distance.
I'm concerned what shape the Earth is, because I'm concerned with truth. And if the truth I seek opposes men's opinions about what the Bible says and means, then I'll take the truth any day over that.

I believe many things about the world and the universe that I learned from science, even though the Bible is silent on those matters. It is true that I believe at this time the universe is more than 14B years old, although that belief might change if someone shows me otherwise; nevertheless, that hasn't happened as long as I have lived so far. But my belief about the universe is not about theories, but about real observations, not "because scientists say that it is." You saying that I believe the universe is 14B years old "because scientists say that it is" is a polemic statement (and untrue). What I believe is based on forensic evidence.

The whole point of the use of day is because God created both the day and the week for us. This is when he established it and he did so that when he told the Israelites to work for 6 and rest on one as a Holy day they understood. And we know Genesis means regular day because of the word usage it contains. Morning and evening and a number always indicate regular days in Hebrew. The author intended it to be taken literally.
Other Biblical characters also took it literally, I'm not arguing against that. I said "allegory" for lack of a better word. So perhaps my choice of term was confusing. I interpret "day" in the text, according to the context, as a literal day.

What more could the author (who I believe was Moses) have done to show the readers that it was literal? What more could have written to convince you? I have asked that question before and said if Mosses had said "God created the word in 6 regular length days" would you then believe him? -the answer was no. No, they would still take science over God's word. Tell me that isn't faith, faith in science.
I don't believe that Moses understood his account as being figurative or allegorical, although it is possible he did. What I am saying is that if he considered it literally, that it was from his ancient near-east perspective of cosmology. I have no problem in God allowing that, to accommodate man's understanding at that time, since accommodation to man's perspective is a major thread in the Bible, and there are many examples of it.

Jesus said to believe the words of Mosses.
John 5:46
If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me.

Out of context. Jesus was talking about relationship with God, not about how to interpret Gen. 1.

God could have created the earth in 6 seconds if he had wished. But then that would not have impressed upon us how special mankind is. That the earth and we are special, that we are made in the image of God. Frankly, 6 days is God taking his time.
The fact that he let Adam be alone for a short time was so he would feel the longing for companionship.
Adam was created on day 6, if each day including day 6 were really thousands upon thousands of years Adam would have been dead long before day 7. He was created on day 6 and lived 930 years after he was created. Only possible if the days were actual days.
They were actual days, according to the Biblical text.

I will tell you why I think God waited until day 4, it was to downplay the importance of the sun, moon and stars because people were inclined to worship them.
Your interpretation requires purpose after-the-fact. The creation came first, and idolatrous people came much later. God created everything according to His own purpose (Rev. 4), not in order to counter some defect in future man's belief system.

The scripture says God created light. If light shines on a turning ball you get a cycle of light and dark. But even if it wasn't done that way. Let's say the earth is actually flat (again I really don't think so) If God wanted it to have a day and night cycle he could because he's God. God isn't a man constrained to natural laws, he is the creator of those laws and he can change them at will.
Many ANE (ancient near-east) people believed the world was flat in Moses' time, which is revealed by archaeological findings. And it was also believed for many centuries after that until Galileo and Copernicus, and there was nothing in scripture to tell them otherwise.

Kind of hard to consider when this is the first time you have mentioned it. Either that or I didn't see it.
"ancient Hebrews regarded the light of the day to be produced by something other than the sun"
This is not something I know about. I would have to look it up.[/quote]
Ok, I'll quote from a link of a very good article on this issue:
"The text [Gen. 1] equates the function of the sun with that of the moon and stars. These latter do provide some light during the night but they certainly do not light up the sky. The same is true of the sun, in the Torah’s conception. The sun adds light (and warmth) to the already independently existing daylight, but even without the sun, the sky would be blue and the daytime light."
Here's the link:
If the Sun Is Created on Day 4, What Is the Light on Day 1? - TheTorah.com

I already answered that. We all know it's figurative language because it's from poetry. There are different types of passages in scripture.
The Rising of the Sun is from a Psalm, the book of Psalms are songs and poems which is a comply different type of literature to Genesis 1 which is history.
Psalm 113:3
3 From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets,
the name of the Lord is to be praised.

The Psalms also say "The leaves clap their hands" Again because it's poetry. Poetry is allowed to take poetic licence. I assume you do know what that is.
Poetry can be used to support a literal text but you can't build a doctrine on just poetry.
The Bible does not teach that the earth is flat and if people took it to mean that then that is on them isn't it. But there are no literal texts saying 'the earth is flat'
Num. 2:3, Josh. 12:1, and Mark 16:2 are all historical narratives, and yet they also use that phrase, therefore it is not limited to poetry, and my argument still stands.

Already answered this, you keep repeating yourself. As I said before eyewitness photographs of something occurring right now is vastly different to mathematical assumptions about things 4 billion years ago and if you can't see the difference then I give up.
Supernovas are observed by eye witnesses through telescopes.

Again, I don't really care if it does or not even though I assume it does. I am not saying that science isn't clever or given us many things but I know:
1. This world is not the world God created.
2. Man does not know everything but God does.
3. When God says 6 days, he means 6 days. The rest of the scriptures supports this. It supports a literal Adam, a literal fall, a literal flood, a literal Jesus with a literal death and resurrection and a literal remaking of the current world into a new world.
This world is not the world God created?? Yet scripture says that it is (Rom. 1 and many other places). I'm wondering if you also take scripture out of context to come to this conclusion. What scripture do you think backs up your conclusion? It seems to me you are grossly wrong here.

If it was only Genesis 1 and if there were scripture backing up the view of it being an allegory I would look at it.
I think I asked you 3 times for scripture to back up your view that it should be read as an allegory. You have none just like everyone else I have ever asked.

You make a theological statement with zero scripture back up, and expect it to be taken as a serious Biblical position? That's a joke.
Apart from that many verses hang on it being literal. I only shared a few, but there are so many more. You didn't even acknowledge the few I quoted let alone attempt to answer them. No, you pointedly ignored them, yet you expect me to answer you.
Which scriptures are you wanting me to address? If it is the ones in this link: The light travel time problem then I already said that they are irrelevant because they don't address the question in the OP. I'm not going to argue about oranges when I'm asking about apples. So if you don't agree that observing what happens in the cosmos is real, then we'll never be on the same page.
I didn't start out as a creationist, I became one at about 26-27 or thereabouts after some very good teaching on how the entirety of scripture hangs together. When God remakes the world he isn't making it back to some primordial soup, he is making it back to what it first was, a paradise. It is a full circle beginning with perfection and ending with perfection. It completely fits together like a thousand-piece jig-saw and it is a far more marvellous and beautiful a picture than any so-called ape-like ancestors turning into men.
Perhaps we aren't on the same page because you assume I am an evolutionist, even though I clearly said I wasn't? I'm starting to see that we aren't even on the same page, since you seem to be talking about not even the same issues I'm talking about.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've stated scripture, and when I talk about it, anyone familiar with scripture will know that I'm talking about it. Your argument here doesn't hold water, then.

You said Genses should be read as an allegory.
I asked you for scripture to back up that position
Now you say you have provided some-where is that?

I do admit, though, that if you quote scripture with an argument that I don't see relevant to the OP, I tend to ignore it. Still, I will say that you're missing the point, which implies that I think what you're quoting doesn't resolve anything.

Your point was wanting answers to a dilemma that you saw. I say there is no dilemma for the dilemma was incorrect in the first place.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

The scriptures are either all God's breathed word to us or none of it is. God is not going to say this is my Word and let it contain half-truth and mistakes.
I am referring to the Hebrew and Greek here, translations do sometimes not convey all of the original meaning but for the most part, I do trust my various translations and only go back to the Hebrew and Greek if I feel the need.

I believe Gods word so when it says that one man (Adam) sin is what brought in death Romans 5:12 by extension I believe that he was a real man. Since that is true why would I not believe what Genses says about him? I don't believe in creation because of Genesis 1, I believe it because of what the New Testament tells me about death.

It goes on to say that death is an enemy that will be vanquished.
1 Corinthians 15:26
The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Because when God remakes the world back to what it was- death will be no more, just as it was originally.

Evolution simply sees death as a normal part of life. The two world views can never fit together, they are diametrically opposed to each other.

And what is wrong with science, since you seem to be so contrary with it?

Nothing when it doesn't contradict God's word. Science is simply man's knowledge and mans knowledge can be wrong. No man is correct all the time but God is. Would Thalidomide have happened if man were 100% correct all the time? Would the space shuttle Challenger have blown up? Mistakes get made.

The scientific method observes and tests to verify.

They claim for things unseen and assumed. If they can't be correct over things they have direct control over like the Challenger how much more incorrect are they about the past? Also like you they don't believe the world laws have changed -they have. God told us that they changed. They changed at the fall and again at and after the flood. There could have been far more changes than what we were told about.

[/quote]It's the very same method crime detectives use to establish truth about what happened concerning crimes. [/quote]

No it is not. You can match a persons DNA and observe it to be the same as what was found at the crime. No one observed a dinosaur turn into a bird. It is based on assumptions. They may be very educated assumptions, but assumptions they still are.

It's the very same method a good interpreter of the Bible uses to establish the truth about Biblical issues. The apostle Paul commanded the Corinthians to test themselves, to see whether (or not) they be in the faith. That takes testing and observation. Just because some scientists are atheists doesn't negate the scientific method. To say so is like saying because there are hypocrites in the churches, Christianity is no good.

Again, no it is not.
scripture interprets scripture. Scripture has creation and the fall woven throughout. Nowhere does it even give a glimmer of evolution.

I'm concerned what shape the Earth is, because I'm concerned with truth. And if the truth I seek opposes men's opinions about what the Bible says and means, then I'll take the truth any day over that.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
God is truth. His word is truth.
Do you not see that the 'truth' that you are holding onto is only what men have said? Men who weren't there, did not see and are frequently wrong.
If you can believe the virgin birth, death and resurrection why not that God created in 6 days?

I believe many things about the world and the universe that I learned from science, even though the Bible is silent on those matters. It is true that I believe at this time the universe is more than 14B years old, although that belief might change if someone shows me otherwise; nevertheless, that hasn't happened as long as I have lived so far. But my belief about the universe is not about theories, but about real observations, not "because scientists say that it is." You saying that I believe the universe is 14B years old "because scientists say that it is" is a polemic statement (and untrue). What I believe is based on forensic evidence.

Again you are after 'facts' that men have come up with.

Other Biblical characters also took it literally, I'm not arguing against that. I said "allegory" for lack of a better word. So perhaps my choice of term was confusing. I interpret "day" in the text, according to the context, as a literal day.

I don't believe that Moses understood his account as being figurative or allegorical, although it is possible he did. What I am saying is that if he considered it literally, that it was from his ancient near-east perspective of cosmology. I have no problem in God allowing that, to accommodate man's understanding at that time, since accommodation to man's perspective is a major thread in the Bible, and there are many examples of it.

Out of context. Jesus was talking about relationship with God, not about how to interpret Gen. 1.

They were actual days, according to the Biblical text.

Your interpretation requires purpose after-the-fact. The creation came first, and idolatrous people came much later. God created everything according to His own purpose (Rev. 4), not in order to counter some defect in future man's belief system.

Many ANE (ancient near-east) people believed the world was flat in Moses' time, which is revealed by archaeological findings. And it was also believed for many centuries after that until Galileo and Copernicus, and there was nothing in scripture to tell them otherwise.

The huge issue with this that you are ignoring, is that sin brought in death. Death did not exist before sin.

You are also ignoring the fact that scriptures supports a literal creation and fall the same way it talks about a literal Jesus being born, dying and raising and coming again.

Tell me, what do you do with verses like Romans 5?
Romans 5:12
Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ

12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—

Ok, I'll quote from a link of a very good article on this issue:
"The text [Gen. 1] equates the function of the sun with that of the moon and stars. These latter do provide some light during the night but they certainly do not light up the sky. The same is true of the sun, in the Torah’s conception. The sun adds light (and warmth) to the already independently existing daylight, but even without the sun, the sky would be blue and the daytime light."
Here's the link:
If the Sun Is Created on Day 4, What Is the Light on Day 1? - TheTorah.com

I will read that.

Num. 2:3, Josh. 12:1, and Mark 16:2 are all historical narratives, and yet they also use that phrase, therefore it is not limited to poetry, and my argument still stands.

I see no issue with it. Figurative language has always been used. The man is hardly going to say "On the east, toward where the earth turns and the sun begins to show, the divisions of the camp of Judah are to encamp under their standard." Not when he can simply say "sunrise"

I am not saying those men understood that the earth was round or that its turning is what caused the sun to show. God gave the Israelite's all kinds of laws they didn't understand. He gave them quarantine where they would have to go outside of the camp for 7 days, be checked by a priest and stay another 7 if it was deemed as needed. I doubt God explained germ theory and contagions to them.

They didn't have to understand. God wanted them to show obedience from their faith in him rather than obedience based off their own reason and knowledge. He knew mankind would discover this in good time.

Supernovas are observed by eye witnesses through telescopes.

It's not the observation that is at fault, I am not saying that it didn't happen. It is the assumptions about its age and how it happened that are.

This world is not the world God created?? Yet scripture says that it is (Rom. 1 and many other places). I'm wondering if you also take scripture out of context to come to this conclusion. What scripture do you think backs up your conclusion? It seems to me you are grossly wrong here.

No it is not.
The world as God created it was near to perfect. It was a sample that God gave mankind of what he had planned. The plan being a perfect world with no death that will happen after Jesus returns.
That world had no death
No disease
No prickles or weeds
Animals and man were all vegetarian.
The world had a vapour canopy around it and the ground kept was watered by water coming up from udner the surface.
Most of this came up and came down at the flood with the climate changing and allowing in more solar and cosmic radiation.

After the flood God put the fear of man into the animals and allowed man to eat them.
This is just what we are told about, who knows what we were not told about. But again that is the point, we don't know.

The world we live on is as corrupted as we are. It does not have the same laws in place as it did when God first created it.

4“Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.” 5But they deliberately overlook the fact that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6through which the world of that time perished in the flood. 7And by that same word, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
10But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyedd by fire, and the earth and its works will be laid bare.

The earth was formed out of water and by water-no big bang. That earth perished and it is planned to perish one more time by fire.

Which scriptures are you wanting me to address? If it is the ones in this link: The light travel time problem then I already said that they are irrelevant because they don't address the question in the OP. I'm not going to argue about oranges when I'm asking about apples. So if you don't agree that observing what happens in the cosmos is real, then we'll never be on the same page.

It isn't the observation, it's the conclusions based on the mathematics that are wrong. It has at its foundation certain assumptions. How many assumptions in a mathematical equation need to be wrong for the answer to also be wrong? One. One assumption.
A very quick google nets me this:
Astronomers estimate the age of the universe in two ways: 1) by looking for the oldest stars; and 2) by measuring the rate of expansion of the universe and extrapolating back to the Big Bang;
An expanding universe is an assumption as is the 'big bang'. To believe their conclusion on the age of the universe you first need to also believe those things. Notice how belief in one thing is tied to another.
Scripture is the same way, going from things stated in the New Testament leading back to Genesis. It isn't Genesis by itself but Genesis is the foundation. In the same way, the big bang is the foundation of the secular view. If the foundational assumptions are wrong everything built on them is also wrong.

I didn't even look at that link. As I said on my last post both sides are going to be wrong over various points. The world as it was is not here to be tested and no one can go back in time and see how things were done. I am not here to argue science. Science on both sides is still man trying to make sense of what he sees. Sometimes he is right other times he is wrong. Things are not always as they first appear.

Perhaps we aren't on the same page because you assume I am an evolutionist, even though I clearly said I wasn't? I'm starting to see that we aren't even on the same page, since you seem to be talking about not even the same issues I'm talking about.

If you are not a Theistic Evolutionist I apologise.
If you are not then you need to explain what theory you are upholding as now I have no idea. As far as I know, it is only TE and Gap Theorists who uphold 4B years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I the he is a Christian who is searching so hard for atheism, he doesn't realise he has already found it...he is already there.

The facts1. Theistic evolution is a minority and overwhelmingly proven a complete mess by most scholars and Christina's...it is "fools gold".
2. God is timeless...stop crapping on about the age of the universe then extrapolating the earth age based on that...again, "fools gold".
3. God told Moses he made the earth in 7 sequential literal days (that is the true translation of the language in Genesis), there is no room in any biblical doctrine for creation over thousands of years...anyone who doesn't get this just doesn't understand their Bible at all.

The reason that the NWT is such a mess of a bible is because JW's try to mess with translation to suit doctrine...theistic evolutionists and the like are doing exactly the same thing.

Forget science as truth...academics in law for example can create truth just by providing enough evidence to weigh the balance of probabilities...it has been shown repeatedly that morality has nothing to do with it. God expects obedience, I don't believe one will find any such thing in Darwinian camps.

The solution to this entire thread is so damn simple...
Why would God create a 14 billion year old universe with a star that exploded 167,000 years ago?
Sin did not enter the universe until just before Adam and Eve...6,000 years ago.

So how does an eternal God [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] up the creation of a star such that it explodes in the first place?

The answer...it simply doesn't pass the stink test of an Almighty God who created a perfect everlasting universe in the first place!.

So here is the dilemma, there is obviously another Satan cockup with another 1/3 of heavens angels and another Jesus being crucified somewhere else in the universe...oh but hang on, that planet didnt have a flood, instead, 167,000 years ago God decided one cockup planet was enough to deal with... a planet he hadn't even created yet btw (ie our earth), but what the heck, he will just blow up the other ones sun and its surrounding solar system instead anyway so that future scientists on this planet can confuse the hell out of future Christians with 167,000 year old supernova theories and the age of the earth!

This is now in the realm of absolute tripe...and that is the end of this discussion for me...it stupid and frankly below my level of interest now!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
coffee4u said:
You said Genses should be read as an allegory.
I asked you for scripture to back up that position
Now you say you have provided some-where is that?

If you are not a Theistic Evolutionist I apologise.
If you are not then you need to explain what theory you are upholding as now I have no idea. As far as I know, it is only TE and Gap Theorists who uphold 4B years.

I wouldn't consider science simply or only as man's knowledge. But rather it's more of a compilation of observations of creation, that result in man having knowledge.

The sun being hot may be a conclusion of science, But more specifically it's an observation of creation that has resulted in man gaining knowledge.

And unless someone can explain why the sun isn't actually hot, if such a scientific conclusion runs contrary to young earth interpretations of scripture, then the young earth interpretation must be wrong because such an interpretation runs contrary to God's creation.

It's not God's word vs man's word. It's YEC interpretation of Gods word vs Gods creation with scientists merely being the voice of creation.

Scientists didn't make the earth old or make the sun hot. God did these things and we are simply observers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0