Sweeny
✟8,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Acts 2:15, Peter quotes the prophecy of Joel 2:28f about the last days and emphatically says: “This is that” which was spoken by the prophet Joel.

“This is that” does NOT mean “this is not that!”

Peter not only affirmed the last days had arrived in the first century, he repeated it in Acts 3. He said that all of the prophets from Samuel forward, “foretold these days” (Acts 3:24).

Hebrews 9:26 deals a crippling blow to the idea that the last days are yet future. The writer says Jesus, “has appeared once, at the end of the age to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.”

The question is at the end of what age did Jesus appear?

He surely did not appear at the end of the Christian age.

Jesus appeared under the Law (Gal 4:4), in the fullness of time. Thus, he appeared in the last days of the age of the Law, the last days of Israel, the last days of the Jewish age.

Paul insisted he was living in the end of the age (1 Cor 10:11 and Heb 1:1).

If the Jewish age was to end and the Christian age has no end, what age was about to end? (Heb 1:1; Js 5:3; 1Pet 1:20; Jude 18; 2Pet 3; 1 Jn 2:18)

What last days were they living in?

Time statements are consistently used, literally through the Bible, but the language of the “Day of the Lord” is consistently metaphorical throughout the Bible. There is not one example of “The Day of the Lord” language, ie: coming on the clouds, with fire, the Shout, The Trumpet, etc ever being fulfilled literally.

Reactions: Lost4words

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Maybe not the first time around, but what about the 2nd time around? The latter meaning the 2nd coming that has not happened yet.

In my view I don't find it unreasonable that the last days can consist of 2000 plus years. The last days beginning in the first century is the correct conclusion to come to. What is not the correct conclusion to come to is, that the last days began in the first century, then ended in the first century.

Upvote 0

Briefcase

Dec 18, 2019
Sweeny
✟8,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe not the first time around, but what about the 2nd time around? The latter meaning the 2nd coming that has not happened yet.

In my view I don't find it unreasonable that the last days can consist of 2000 plus years. The last days beginning in the first century is the correct conclusion to come to. What is not the correct conclusion to come to is, that the last days began in the first century, then ended in the first century.

It is interesting that everyone admits that the language, taken in its normal meaning, indicates true imminence, yet most people are unwilling to accept the normal meaning of the time statements. Most resort to changing the definitions of the statements of imminence. To maintain their view of eschatology, scripture is altered to mean something different from what its words indicate. “At hand” cannot really mean at hand. Near and soon, quickly and shortly, no delay and at hand, “this generation,” and even “we will not all die,” are all distorted into ambiguous meaninglessness.

Jesus did not say “I might come quickly.” He said “Surely, I come quickly.” To inject “could,” “maybe,” or “might” where Jesus said, “surely” is to alter Jesus’ promise. Some people in an attempt to offset the imminence of Jesus’ soon return say He only meant that He was certain to return. Thus, instead of conveying the idea of time, “I come quickly” comes to mean “I come certainly.”

But, how can certainty be expressed by language of imminence, if the prediction does not come to pass when the time statements indicate it would? How can certainty be expressed by telling a falsehood? Notice Jesus’ words in Revelation 22:20, “Surely, I come quickly.” Here is both surety and imminence combined. Jesus was not saying, “Surely, I come surely.” The word for surely is nai meaning, “Yes” as a strong assertion. The word for certainty is one word, the word for imminence is another.

Many different Greek words express certainty but the words translated as, “at hand,” “shortly,” “quickly,” etc, are not some of them. Since when does saying one thing, and meaning something else create trust in the one who uses words so carelessly?

If man hears the words “at hand” without knowing of a change in the meaning of those words, he automatically and properly thinks in time. If, therefore, the promise does not come to pass within the parameters of “shortly,” disappointment and discouragement are the natural result. Thus, the “certainty” supposedly expressed by the words has now become the actual source of uncertainty, and the loss of confidence in the promises of God. You cannot create trust in God by saying He used words that mean one thing, when He actually meant something else entirely.

It is a rule of interpretation, that if one is going to reject the normal definition of words, they must demonstrate strong evidence to justify that change. Normally, those who deny the actual imminence of the words do so because they believe, the bright promises associated with our Lord’s four-fold declaration “I am coming soon” are blessings that they obviously believe have not been realized. Jesus’ promise to come soon could not be true, because they did not see what they expected to see, therefore, their presuppositions and prejudices become the determining factor in defining Biblical words.

Another attempt to mitigate the imminence is to make the Greek term en taxei (Rev. 1:1; 22:6) and the word taxus, (Rev. 2:5, 16; 3:11; 22:7, 12, 20) translated “shortly,” or “quickly,” mean suddenly, thus meaning that there will be rapidity of fulfillment whenever the proper time may come, but that may be thousands of years later than John’s time.

But, the following study of the Greek term en taxei, appearing only 7 times in scripture, will show that it never emphasizes rapidity over imminence.

1. Luke 18:8 “He will avenge them speedily” The martyrs of God cried for vengeance. God promised to avenge them speedily. In Revelation 6:9f, the martyrs cried for vengeance, and were told it would be only a “little while,” until the number of martyrs was fulfilled. In Matthew 23:29f, Jesus said all the blood of all the martyrs would be vindicated in “this generation.” The “little while,” therefore, was not relative, it referred to Jesus’ generation. In order to avoid the imminence, one must distort the meaning of “this generation,” “quickly,” and “little while.” Can God not communicate any better than to use these words that in any other context mean nearness, but when He uses them in Revelation we are not to think in time at all?

2. Acts 12:7 Peter was in prison when the angel loosed the chains and told him “rise up quickly.” Did the angel mean to say, “Do not worry about when you get up, today, tomorrow, next year, anytime will do, but when you finally get around to it, move with rapidity of actions.”?

3. Acts 22:18 When Paul was in the temple praying, the Lord appeared to him and said, “Get out of Jerusalem quickly.” Did Jesus mean that Paul could delay, but when he finally got around to leaving, he was to take the fastest chariot out of town?

4. Acts 25:4 Festus kept Paul at Caesarea because, “He himself was going there shortly.” Rapidity of action is not the focus. Imminence of departure is.

5. Romans 16:20 “God will bruise Satan under your feet shortly.” The imminence of Romans cannot be ignored. In chapter 9, the writer said God was going to finish His work of saving the Remnant in a short time. In Romans 13:11f, Paul says, ‘The day is at hand.” Look at that text. Paul said, “The night is far spent.” Now, what does that mean? If imminence is relative, what does “far spent” mean?

6. Revelation 1:1 “Things which must shortly come to pass.” That “shortly” does not mean rapidly is confirmed in the context. John was told, “The time is at hand.” Let us grant for argument sake that “shortly’ means “rapidly.” Coupled with eggus in Revelation 1:3, this would mean that the time for the “rapid fulfillment” of John’s prophecy was “at hand.”

If the fulfillment was to be “rapid” it can hardly be argued that the vision encompasses a long period of time because all of the “woes,” contained in the sounding of the Trumpets for instance, were to follow one another “quickly” (Rev. 11:14). To argue for “rapidly,” therefore, exacerbates the problem of imminence, rather than escapes it.

7. Revelation 22:6 “Things which must shortly take place.” Notice that it says the things predicted “must” take place shortly. The word “must” is from dei and means a divine necessity. A friend of mine named Don Preston said he examined over 36 different translations of the Bible and he found not one to support the idea of the rapidity or speed of Christ’s coming rather than the nearness. The reason not one of them does so is because swiftness of action is not the dominant concept.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In Acts 2:15, Peter quotes the prophecy of Joel 2:28f about the last days and emphatically says: “This is that” which was spoken by the prophet Joel.

Peter not only affirmed the last days had arrived in the first century, he repeated it in Acts 3. He said that all of the prophets from Samuel forward, “foretold these days” (Acts 3:24).

Hebrews 9:26 deals a crippling blow to the idea that the last days are yet future. The writer says Jesus, “has appeared once, at the end of the age to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.”

Jesus appeared under the Law (Gal 4:4), in the fullness of time. Thus, he appeared in the last days of the age of the Law, the last days of Israel, the last days of the Jewish age.

If the Jewish age was to end and the Christian age has no end, what age was about to end? (Heb 1:1; Js 5:3; 1Pet 1:20; Jude 18; 2Pet 3; 1 Jn 2:18)

Time statements are consistently used, literally through the Bible, but the language of the “Day of the Lord” is consistently metaphorical throughout the Bible. There is not one example of “The Day of the Lord” language, ie: coming on the clouds, with fire, the Shout, The Trumpet, etc ever being fulfilled literally.

Nice post

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting that everyone admits that the language, taken in its normal meaning, indicates true imminence, yet most people are unwilling to accept the normal meaning of the time statements. Most resort to changing the definitions of the statements of imminence. To maintain their view of eschatology, scripture is altered to mean something different from what its words indicate. “At hand” cannot really mean at hand. Near and soon, quickly and shortly, no delay and at hand, “this generation,” and even “we will not all die,” are all distorted into ambiguous meaninglessness.

Let's consider this that you brought up---“this generation". Let's consider it from the perspective of the Discourse.

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

IMO it matters what context Jesus said this in. Did He say this in first century context? Or did He say this in the end of the age 2nd coming context? I tend to think He clearly said it in the latter context. It therefore makes no sense, that if what Jesus was just talking about leading up to this verse, and what He talks about after this verse, that if those things involve the 2nd coming, that he would then be referring to the 1st century in verse 34. That would be out of context. If Jesus was trying to apply verse 34 to that of the first century, He would have it said this much earlier in the Discourse, not much later instead.

Jesus did not say “I might come quickly.” He said “Surely, I come quickly.” To inject “could,” “maybe,” or “might” where Jesus said, “surely” is to alter Jesus’ promise. Some people in an attempt to offset the imminence of Jesus’ soon return say He only meant that He was certain to return. Thus, instead of conveying the idea of time, “I come quickly” comes to mean “I come certainly.”

According to my Strong's, quickly(tachu) can also mean (by surprise) suddenly. Therefore it is not required, in order for Jesus to come (by surprise) suddenly, that He had to do that in the first century only.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Lots of people misinterpret and misunderstand Scripture. They read it with modern glasses on and always try to point out that these events are in our future. In Revelation Jesus said:

Revelation
1 The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants what must soon take place; and he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. 3 Blessed is he who reads aloud the words of the prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written therein; for the time is near.

This was not meant to be read as 'our' furure. I truly believe it has already happened. I believe in partial preterism. Revelation cannot be taken 100% literally. It has a lot of hidden meanings to it, of which, the preterist movement have given some credible answers to.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lots of people misinterpret and misunderstand Scripture. They read it with modern glasses on and always try to point out that these events are in our future. In Revelation Jesus said:

Revelation
1 The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants what must soon take place; and he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. 3 Blessed is he who reads aloud the words of the prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written therein; for the time is near.

This was not meant to be read as 'our' furure. I truly believe it has already happened. I believe in partial preterism. Revelation cannot be taken 100% literally. It has a lot of hidden meanings to it, of which, the preterist movement have given some credible answers to.

Why can't 'soon to take place' not involve things that ultimately span 2000 years? If some of these things began coming to pass in the first century, why do all of these things have to involve only the first century rather than thousands of years instead? I don't think Revelation involves the first century only, nor do I think it involves the end of this age only. I tend to think it involves things that began in the first century, then concludes with things involving the end of this age we are presently living in.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The end of the Old Covenant and the beginning of the New Covenant. This is what happened at the end of the age.
Blessings

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The end of the Old Covenant and the beginning of the New Covenant. This is what happened at the end of the age.
Blessings

The end of the age hasn't even happened yet. Where are we ever told that the end of the age has already happened, and that it's meaning the end of the OC?

• Agree
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Briefcase

Dec 18, 2019
Sweeny
✟8,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Revelation

AGREED!

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What age were they living in? Was it not the Mosaic age?

But if the end of the age involves the literal end of this present earth age, would one still be living in the Mosaic age at the time? How can anyone possibly claim that there will never be an end to this present age we are currently living in?

Upvote 0

Briefcase

Dec 18, 2019
Sweeny
✟8,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But if the end of the age involves the literal end of this present earth age, would one still be living in the Mosaic age at the time? How can anyone possibly claim that there will never be an end to this present age we are currently living in?

Genesis 8:21 "The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: Never again will I curse the ground of humans even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood."

Ecclessiastes 1:4 "Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever."

Psalm 104:5 "He set the earth on its foundations, never to be moved."

Psalm 119:90 "Your faithfulness continues through all generations; You established the earth, and it endures forever."

Psalm 125:1 "Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion. It cannot be moved; it abides forever."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What age were they living in? Was it not the Mosaic age?

What you would like to have us believe I guess, is that all of 2 Timothy chapter 3, for example, is only applicable to the first century, and not applicable to us today as well.

2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

It's ludicrous to think this is no longer applicable to us today as well. Where does verse 1 place the timing of these things? Does it not place it during the last days?

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The end of the age hasn't even happened yet. Where are we ever told that the end of the age has already happened, and that it's meaning the end of the OC?
Jesus Christ of Nazareth explained in full detail the end of the age. He also said
" Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." This is in His own generation.

By the way, I am a partial Preterist so we will never see this the same.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Briefcase

Dec 18, 2019
Sweeny
✟8,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you would like to have us believe I guess, is that all of 2 Timothy chapter 3, for example, is only applicable to the first century, and not applicable to us today as well.

2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

It's ludicrous to think this is no longer applicable to us today as well. Where does verse 1 place the timing of these things? Does it not place it during the last days?

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

I never said we can't make it applicable, just saying that the last days spoken of in scripture was speaking of the last days of the old covenant mosaic age.

These are days of vengeance, in order that all things which are written may be fulfilled.” (Lk. 21:22)

"This generation will not pass away until all things take place.” (Lk. 21:32)

"It is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand." (Rom. 13:11-12)

The time has been shortened.” (I Cor. 7:29)

The form of this world is passing away.” (I Cor. 7:31)

Now these things …were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.” (I Cor. 10:11)

When He said, 'A new covenant,' He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete
and growing old is ready to disappear
.” (Heb. 8:13)

Now once at the end of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin.” (Heb. 9:26)

He …has appeared in these last times for the sake of you.” (I Peter 1:20)

The end of all things is at hand; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer.” (I Peter 4:7)

The darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.” (I Jn. 2:8)

The world is passing away, and its desires.” (I Jn. 2:17)

It is the last hour.” (I Jn. 2:18)

Even now many antichrists have arisen; from this we know that it is the last hour.” (I Jn. 2:18; Compare Matt. 24:23-34)

This is that of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.” (I Jn. 4:3; Compare II Thess. 2:7)

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

The last days began at the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost in Acts 2.

The last days will end during the great tribulation at the second coming of Christ.

Christ came in the age or dispensation of Law. The dispensation of Grace began as stated at the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Where in Heb. 9:26 we read "in the end of the world," should have been translated, in the consummation of the ages. When Jesus came to earth to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself, the former ages had reached their moral consummation under the Law.

In other words, the earth was ready for the Saviour of the world to make His entrance.

• Agree
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,927.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Peter tells the truth for our days:
A letter to the peoples of God, scattered around the world:

Praise to God and to our Lord Jesus for the hope of salvation and for the protection of His power. Be joyful, although you may have to suffer for a little while, as you pass through the assayers fire.

Since Christ endured bodily suffering, you too must expect this judgement as the end of all days is upon us [you Christians], but do not be taken aback by the fiery ordeal which has come to test you as though you did not know it was coming.

All that has happened concerning Jesus, confirms for us the messages of the prophets, which you will all do well to take seriously. What they say has been given to us by the Holy Spirit and interpretation is by comparing scripture with scripture. Just as in the past there were false prophets and teachers, so it is now. Those who have misled My people will suffer dire punishment.

Note this: In the last days scoffers will come, they will mock and say: ‘What happened to His promised coming? Nothing has changed as yet’. They forget how God destroyed all the wicked peoples in Noah’s day and now the world is reserved for burning and again the godless will be destroyed. The great Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath will come unexpectedly, with the heavens tearing apart, flames will envelope the earth and with a loud noise ALL the earth will be brought to judgement.
In expectation of this, do your best to be found at peace with God.

Friends: you have been warned, take care that you do not be taken in by wrong theories and false teachings, but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
To Him be all the glory!
Ref: R.E.Bible 1 & 2 Peter, condensed.

Upvote 0