The KJVO Myth - Phony As A Ford Corvette !

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟115,462.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
On a now-closed thread, a gent posted a lot of pro-KJVO material. (KJVO means "King James Version Only", the false doctrine that says the KJV is the only valid English Bible translation out there.)

I, & several others, pointed out FACTS that prove that myth is false, but that gent failed to even ATTEMPT to counter them. Here are some of those facts for your review:

1. There's no Scriptural support for KJVO. And without Scriptural support, no doctrine of faith/worship can be true, as only GOD can make such true doctrines.

2. The current edition of the KJVO myth is drawn from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book, that book being Our Authorized Bible Vindicated (1930) by Dr. Ben Wilkinson, a 7TH DAY ADVENTEST preacher/teacher/official.

3. The KJV is NOT perfect, as KJVOs say it is It both ADDS & SUBTRACTS from God's word.
ADDS: In Rev. 16:5, the KJV ADDS the words "and shalt be", which are NOT found in any ancient Greek manuscript of Revelation !
SUBTRACTS: The KJV OMITS the words "through our Lord Jesus Christ" in Jude 25, which are found in most ancient mss. of the Book of Jude.

4. The KJV has several mistranslations in it. "Easter" in Acts 12:4 is one of them. The Greek word here is 'pascha', which in Luke's time meant only "passover".

Now, I'm not condemning the KJV itself; after all it's the most-printed book in history. But I AM condemning the false KJVO MYTH. The KJV is far from the only valid English Bible translation out there, old or new. The newer translations are in OUR English; they correct many of the KJV's goofs & booboos, and modern translators have over 5K mss. to work from, while the KJV makers only used some 20 mss. Plus, modern translators have computers, etc. to work with, as well as the work of their predecessors, & the tools with which to correspond instantly with other translators anywhere on earth.

And I'm asking you other readers to disregard anything the gent I mentioned in the first paragraph above has posted in favor of KJVO, as he has purposely failed to try to defend the hooey he posted, even after having had it proven to him that it was a LIE. But I DO ask that you PRAY for the Holy Spirit to open his eyes so he can see that he IS believing a lie.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On a now-closed thread, a gent posted a lot of pro-KJVO material. (KJVO means "King James Version Only", the false doctrine that says the KJV is the only valid English Bible translation out there.)

I, & several others, pointed out FACTS that prove that myth is false, but that gent failed to even ATTEMPT to counter them. Here are some of those facts for your review:

1. There's no Scriptural support for KJVO. And without Scriptural support, no doctrine of faith/worship can be true, as only GOD can make such true doctrines.

2. The current edition of the KJVO myth is drawn from a CULT OFFICIAL'S book, that book being Our Authorized Bible Vindicated (1930) by Dr. Ben Wilkinson, a 7TH DAY ADVENTEST preacher/teacher/official.

3. The KJV is NOT perfect, as KJVOs say it is It both ADDS & SUBTRACTS from God's word.
ADDS: In Rev. 16:5, the KJV ADDS the words "and shalt be", which are NOT found in any ancient Greek manuscript of Revelation !
SUBTRACTS: The KJV OMITS the words "through our Lord Jesus Christ" in Jude 25, which are found in most ancient mss. of the Book of Jude.

4. The KJV has several mistranslations in it. "Easter" in Acts 12:4 is one of them. The Greek word here is 'pascha', which in Luke's time meant only "passover".

Now, I'm not condemning the KJV itself; after all it's the most-printed book in history. But I AM condemning the false KJVO MYTH. The KJV is far from the only valid English Bible translation out there, old or new. The newer translations are in OUR English; they correct many of the KJV's goofs & booboos, and modern translators have over 5K mss. to work from, while the KJV makers only used some 20 mss. Plus, modern translators have computers, etc. to work with, as well as the work of their predecessors, & the tools with which to correspond instantly with other translators anywhere on earth.

And I'm asking you other readers to disregard anything the gent I mentioned in the first paragraph above has posted in favor of KJVO, as he has purposely failed to try to defend the hooey he posted, even after having had it proven to him that it was a LIE. But I DO ask that you PRAY for the Holy Spirit to open his eyes so he can see that he IS believing a lie.
I am with you on everything except you number 1. There is no Scriptural support for any Bible translation. Scripture came before our Bible translations.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've argued with KJVO supporters before, your arguments are going to fall on deaf ears. They actually think that the KJV is an exact word-for-word transcription of history, and Adam and Eve were speaking English in the Garden of Eden. Then the record was lost and God divinely inspired King James to perfectly recreate it.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm, Carl, nothing except it wasn't made by Ford.lol

It's like saying 'the famous Chevrolet Thunderbird' is my favorite car !

The penny dropped... I was just trying to find Corvette in the Greek to throw some light on the issue...

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I agree wholeheartedly with the basic idea of this topic, we need some better points to make about it. Claiming there is no scriptural support seems like asking the impossible, or at least for a miracle. Where exactly would such a reference fit? Should Adam tells us what Bible translation he used for his morning devotions? KVO (left there by a Gideon, no doubt)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't the "current edition" violate the whole point of KJVO? Why not stick with the original?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Umm, Carl, nothing except it wasn't made by Ford.lol

It's like saying 'the famous Chevrolet Thunderbird' is my favorite car !

The first person I met with religious mania was a KJVO fanatic. He buttonholed me after a meeting and proceeded to preach the gospel of (King) James to me. I got away as fast as I could. I was a new Christian at the time. Virtually every preacher used the KJV, and most of them would have to explain where the KJV made no sense. So I quit using the KJV.I ran out of money before I ran out of versions. Now I use Bible Hub and compare verses. It's a great help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do other translations stand up to these sort of minimal complaints? Pretty remarkable if that the best we can do to discredit the book.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a valid complaint. But not enough to toss the whole book.

• Agree
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've argued with KJVO supporters before, your arguments are going to fall on deaf ears. They actually think that the KJV is an exact word-for-word transcription of history, and Adam and Eve were speaking English in the Garden of Eden. Then the record was lost and God divinely inspired King James to perfectly recreate it.
Yes I think I remember a lecture about that, wasn't there a plate or something they used to reconstruct the NKJ

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I think I remember a lecture about that, wasn't there a plate or something they used to reconstruct the NKJ
A plate?
Maybe you are referring to the Book of Mormon. - lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
How do other translations stand up to these sort of minimal complaints? Pretty remarkable if that the best we can do to discredit the book.
There are a number of issues. Some versions try to be word for word translations, New American Standard for example. The NIV follows the idea of trying to express what it means, not just what it says. There is also the issue of what text is used to translate from.The KJV was as good as it gets for centuries. Now there are better options. I like to look at a number of versions to try and get a better idea of the meaning. A real good compromise is the Amplified.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of issues. Some versions try to be word for word translations, New American Standard for example. The NIV follows the idea of trying to express what it means, not just what it says. There is also the issue of what text is used to translate from.The KJV was as good as it gets for centuries. Now there are better options. I like to look at a number of versions to try and get a better idea of the meaning. A real good compromise is the Amplified.
I hear this word-for-word translation idea constantly being presented as somehow the most accurate. But that idea fails on a grand level with a basic example in Spanish.

Que hora es?

Word for word translation:
What hour is?

Thought for thought translation:
What time is it?

Note: A word-for-word proponent would complain about the thought-for-thought translation claiming there is no "time" or "it" in the Spanish. - lol

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I hear this word-for-word translation idea constantly being presented as somehow the most accurate. But that idea fails on a grand level with a basic example in Spanish.

Que hora es?

Word for word translation:
What hour is?

Thought for thought translation:
What time is it?
Greek is not Spanish, but I get your point. The NASB is quite awkward to read because it tries to be true to the text. It's not as difficult to follow as the literal. The NIV reads well, but sometimes it does not have the same impact as the NASB. I've used both extensively. In reality, the best version is the one that you are reading. God can use it to speak to the heart of the believer, even if it does not please the purist.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

the problem with this approach is that both Hebrew and koine Greek are languages of concepts , often several meanings for same word. English doesn't work the same way. so a lot would be lost in translation

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How about using a Bible Commentary, there are several available online, they are free to use.

Upvote 0