Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Uh, yeah.
{Sorry, I'm feeling realllly goofy today. Must be the coming on of a full moon!}

Seriously, I must say it about 20 times a day. (SLACKER!) And I pray it when I don't know what else to pray. Have you read "The Way Of The Pilgrim"? Good book. (Not THE Good Book, of course....)

Peace.

Peter

Upvote 0

Orthodox Andrew

Orthodox Church- Telling The Truth Since 33 A.D.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟12,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Peter said:
Uh, yeah.
{Sorry, I'm feeling realllly goofy today. Must be the coming on of a full moon!}

Seriously, I must say it about 20 times a day. (SLACKER!) And I pray it when I don't know what else to pray. Have you read "The Way Of The Pilgrim"? Good book. (Not THE Good Book, of course....)

Peace.

Peter

I read an expcerpt from it in another book, it seemed like an interesting read. I may read it after I get done a few other books.

P.S. It's okay, we all get a little goofy sometimes.:p

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Cleopa!

I agree. The Jesus Prayer helps me to be more focused on Christ in my life. It's a powerful prayer whenever I need divine help.

I use it as the foundation for all my prayers:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son and Word of the Living God, through the prayers of the Most Pure Mother of God, and of all the angeles and saints, have mercy on us and save us.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Photini

When I was in the hospital several times, the only prayer I could pray to the beat of the IV monitor was the Jesus Prayer:

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Or simply: Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me.

I agree about the benefit of the prayer when having a nightmare. The name of Jesus is powerful in any frightening or tempting situation.

Yours truly,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Zoot said:
That prayer used to help me while I was still in the nightmares. Found myself saying it when confronted by the big bad nasties, without waking up.

Yes, the holy monks can say the prayer whether they are asleep or awake.

Zoot, what persuasion are you into now? What caused you to lose your Christian identity?

Upvote 0

Zoot

Omnis Obstat
Sep 7, 2003
State Highway One
Visit site
✟28,710.00
Faith
Buddhist
chanter,

Long story, and off-topic. Send me a private message if you like, though. That'd be cool.

Good book about the Jesus Prayer (besides "The Art of Prayer" anthology, which is the greatest) is DeMello's "Contact With God", taken from a prayer retreat he used to give.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.