Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I forgot about this thread.

I don't see the issue. Would I step on the fumi-e to stop the persecution of another? Absolutely, I would. In the book, Christ says to Rodrigues:

“Trample! Trample! I more than anyone know of the pain in your foot. Trample! It was to be trampled by men that I was born into this world. It was to share men’s pain that I carried my cross.”

Here's the dilemma, as I see it. What matters most: 1) my self-righteousness or 2) my concern for the well-being of others? If I don't step, then I am placing my self-righteousness above them. If I step, then I sacrifice what only God can give me (righteousness) and they are saved from torture and death.

It is one thing for me to be willing to die for my faith. I am not in love with this world, nor with my life in it. But, I have no right to make that decision for others. It strikes me as the height of selfishness to presume that I can somehow secure or maintain righteousness through the sacrifice of the lives of others by refusing to deny Christ for their sake. What is more affirming of Christ: 1) refusing to deny Christ (verbally or by an act like stepping on the fumi-e) and others being tortured and killed as a result, or 2) denying Christ (verbally or by an act like stepping) and saving others from being tortured and killed as a result? I would rather face my Lord having done the latter than the former.

I know others will disagree, but I see know delimma and I know exactly what I would do.

To the best of my recollection that was not the point in the book, nor in the movie. The torture stopped having stepped. If it had been clear that stepping would not stop the torture, then there is no longer a dilemma. The dilemma only exists if the torture stops. So, again, for me the point was: Which matters most, their lives or my righteousness?
The torture after stepping would be the torture of the mind, they may be free to go but they must live with there choice. But you bring up good points, Christ became incarnate to be stepped on. Just as the cross cannot bind Christ neither can a step so why would it bind us?

As a thought experiment however we can manipulate this to levels where it would be uncomfortable to "step". I suspect to the Japanese stepping on Christ was a great insult and in an honour culture this was probably some of the worst things you can do and in this way, it is less about denying Christ and is more about dishonouring him and it was an action that probably carried a lot of weight that cut right to the heart.

So what would a step be to us in the west that cuts right to the heart? Often the East puts honour as its higher value where the West puts truth as its highest value. So perhaps a step would be something closer to denying Christ in a very explicit and insulting way, or maybe forced to commit a sin that you would consider the worst of them all, so bad that it would still bother you years later. That's the other torture but more psychological than physical, I haven't read/watched it but I'm guessing that's the point (at least from the oppressors).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is very hard. My heart goes out to those Hidden Christians. They do not have to be hidden anymore, but still.

In many parts of the world, there have been Hidden Christians. Especially in Muslim lands. The ancestors nominally accepted Islam, yet in private, continued to baptize their children, confer secret Christian names, make the sign of the Cross, pray as Christians at home, and had Christian images and symbols hidden in their homes, passed down from parents to children.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suspect to the Japanese stepping on Christ was a great insult and in an honour culture this was probably some of the worst things you can do and in this way, it is less about denying Christ and is more about dishonouring him and it was an action that probably carried a lot of weight that cut right to the heart.

You're right, and this is an important point. It comes out in the book/movie. They are very much isolated. Just having a cross or some symbol was very precious to them. So, there are a number of cultural layers at work. You have this high regard for objects representative of the faith, and (as you point out) this shame/honor dynamic that we aren't as familiar with in the west.

I can't remember if it's in the book, but at one point in the movie some of the Christians ask the priests what they should do if confronted with the situation of stepping and should they step on the fumi-e or not. One priest says "Yes," and the other, "No." So, the question seemd to be on everyone's mind. It's not obviously settled, at any rate.

So what would a step be to us in the west that cuts right to the heart?

Good question. Honestly, I'm have a hard time thinking of a comparable situation. No matter what I do or say, God knows my heart. There is no religious object that captures my wholehearted commitment, no matter what. I would be interested in considering a comparable thought experiment.

Upvote 0