Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
justlookinla continuously puts words in my mouth,
^_^ ... wow.

And I just got through pointing out to someone else that he is guilty of the same thing he accuses me of doing.

Solid aurum.

Upvote 0

Dizredux

Dec 20, 2013
✟10,521.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
And stop being disrespectful to justlookinla. He's been more than courteous to you throughout this thread, show some decency. The only immature people here are the evolutionists.
If you think that constantly accusing others of being antichrists is courteous, you have some rather strange ideas of courtesy.

Dizredux

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I had the feeling, from Loudmouth's other posts, that he was targeting Christians in general.

I have no problem with christians who understand that their reading of the Bible needs to be consistent with the creation around them.

Who I am targeting is creationists who refuse to accept evidence.

The problem with accusing (unnamed) people of doing (unspecified) things is that it doesn't contribute to reasoned debate in the slightest way.

That's why I am using an analogy to accuse specific people of doing a specific thing. I am showing how creationists specifically are mistaking the map for the territory when it comes to the relationship between scientific evidence and a literal reading of Genesis.

If you want, I could be even more specific.

The map of California says it . . . that settles it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The map of California says it . . . that settles it.
Maps aren't drawn as "theories" though, are they?

There aren't seven different maps for one territory though, are there?

Cartographers don't draw territories by "consensus of opinion," do they?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Maps aren't drawn as "theories" though, are they?

There aren't seven different maps for one territory though, are there?

Cartographers don't draw territories by "consensus of opinion," do they?

There are hundreds of different religious texts and oral traditions which are analogous to the map in this thread.

You cling to one map, and reject all observations that contradict that map.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you 've missed Loudmouth's point in that case. For this thread has a point. (Though I doubt it will come clear to some.)
And it took 21 posts before he decided to even try and make that point. Trolling is trolling even if I fall on the same side of the argument as the troll.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And it took 21 posts before he decided to even try and make that point. Trolling is trolling even if I fall on the same side of the argument as the troll.

That it took some folks 21 posts to get his point does not mean it wasn't made in the OP.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That it took some folks 21 posts to get his point does not mean it wasn't made in the OP.

This x 1000.

It's sad that he actually had to spell out what the point was. I, and probably many others, got it from the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Then why do you claim that we are wrong for following the objective data form the real world because it conflicts with what is written in the Bible?

You are making the same mistake.

I could argue that the bible is the Inerrant Word of Almighty God, and that map you are using is nothing but a map. A mapmaker can be wrong.... God cannot.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am sure that plenty of people understood the point when they read the opening post.
And when people say they don't, and you irrationally accuse them of being incapable of having an adult conversation... that's not trollish behavior? You think that's how one rationally convinces people they're wrong? You're almost as bad as AV.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I could argue that the bible is the Inerrant Word of Almighty God, and that map you are using is nothing but a map. A mapmaker can be wrong.... God cannot.

I could add that the map of the Isle of California was also written by God, and is therefore infallible.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
And when people say they don't, and you irrationally accuse them of being incapable of having an adult conversation...

justlookinla repeats the same mantra over and over and over and over and over no matter how many times people have addressed it. That is what I was referring to as being incapable of having an adult conversation, the history of justlookinla ignoring everything people say and marching on with his same mistaken mantras. I apologize if that wasn't clear enough.

that's not trollish behavior? You think that's how one rationally convinces people they're wrong? You're almost as bad as AV.

Can justlookinla be convinced by rational statements?

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This x 1000.

It's sad that he actually had to spell out what the point was. I, and probably many others, got it from the OP.
I think it's sad you condone his behavior. The culture on this forum has just become appalling.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This x 1000.

The OP was poorly written.

It says, "From this map, can we conclude ..."

And the answer is clearly NO.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The OP was poorly written.

It says, "From this map, can we conclude ..."

And the answer is clearly NO.

the map looks pretty conclusive to me.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This map from the early 1600's clearly shows that California was an island.

isleca2.jpg

From this map, can we conclude that anyone who thinks California is connected to the rest of North American is actually lying and ignoring the obvious evidence that California is an island?

No, what we conclude is that some people once thought California was an island, no doubt having less information to work with as they contemplated its geography.

And we also note the interesting fact that people with gaps in their knowledge will often just make things up to fill in the gaps.

It is, after all, a plausible scenario, if one lacks actual observations.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
And when people say they don't, and you irrationally accuse them of being incapable of having an adult conversation... that's not trollish behavior?

To be fair, Just has a bit of a history of being immature and showing that he's incapable of having an adult conversation. Many posters, both atheist and Christian - maybe even especially the Christians - will attest to that.

Just look at one of his comments in this thread.

justlookinla said:
LOLOLOLOL!!!

Not exactly an adult response.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I could add that the map of the Isle of California was also written by God, and is therefore infallible.

I sense someone arguing for the necessity of considering actual evidence even when considering the claims of old, highly acclaimed documents.

Upvote 0