Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I thought the writing of the books was sophomoric ...

I wouldn't say the prose from the books was gripping, and I think the movies improved a few of the plot points (which is interesting give Suzanne Collins co-wrote the screenplay) but that's not what drew me to the story. Rather, it's the premise, the world, and the structure of the story arc - all brilliantly unique and imbued with some Christian themes in a way I haven't seen in a long time. What I love is that everyone sees the blatant criticisms of modern society, but misses the more subtle (and more biting) ones. Then you add some great directing, cinematography, and acting for the movies, and it shoots way up the list.

Further, I would note two things. 1) It was (as you note) originally written for a YA audience. That doesn't make it easier, but IMO harder to write without descending into drivel. Much of what we consider "classic" children's literature was not originally meant for children, and there's a lesson in that. 2) The modern SF/Fantasy genre has become overly obsessed with "dark" stories (e.g. Blade Runner) to the point of making it a fetish. They then dismiss anything that doesn't have all those blatantly dark overtones as simplistic and naive - a very sad thing IMO.

But, with that said, I would ask what you consider to be good writing in the SF/Fantasy genre.

Upvote 0

AMOG

Jul 29, 2007
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't say the prose from the books was gripping, and I think the movies improved a few of the plot points (which is interesting give Suzanne Collins co-wrote the screenplay) but that's not what drew me to the story. Rather, it's the premise, the world, and the structure of the story arc - all brilliantly unique and imbued with some Christian themes in a way I haven't seen in a long time. What I love is that everyone sees the blatant criticisms of modern society, but misses the more subtle (and more biting) ones. Then you add some great directing, cinematography, and acting for the movies, and it shoots way up the list.

Further, I would note two things. 1) It was (as you note) originally written for a YA audience. That doesn't make it easier, but IMO harder to write without descending into drivel. Much of what we consider "classic" children's literature was not originally meant for children, and there's a lesson in that. 2) The modern SF/Fantasy genre has become overly obsessed with "dark" stories (e.g. Blade Runner) to the point of making it a fetish. They then dismiss anything that doesn't have all those blatantly dark overtones as simplistic and naive - a very sad thing IMO.

But, with that said, I would ask what you consider to be good writing in the SF/Fantasy genre.
Robert Heinlein wrote some pretty amazing "Juveniles" as they were called back then. "Have space suit, will travel" is probably my fav. of the true juvies. Podkayne of Mars was delightful though he didn't consider it a juvenile. I also love his non juvi books. The older ones are better IMO. He pretty much lost it by the time he did Number of the Beast and Jobe.

Currently Orson Scott Card is probably the best IMO. Of course "Enders Game" is considered a modern YA novel though it is over 30 years old now. His "Shadow" series is incredible, and they are better sequels to Enders Game than the sequils he originally wrote IMO. Apart from enders game, he has several other good series that are easily YA though he wrote them for all audiences. The Alvin Maker series is very good and Mither Mages is current and excellent. Also his "Women of Genesis" series should not be missed. it is fiction, but it gives great, historic insight into the characters and he treats the Biblical accounts with the utmost respect. Good all around writer and perhaps the best character creator working today.

Moving away from YA and into adult SciFi:
David Drake for great SciFi Military stories.
Robert Asprin M.I.T.H. series for humor.
Though he doesn't write novels, you cannot overlook Joss Whedon's importance in today's SciFi and YA space (Comics, screenplays, etc)
Ernest Cline hit a home run with his debut novel (Ready Player One), though the writing itself may not quite be on par with those mentioned above, his story was really good and he shows great promise.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Robert Heinlein wrote some pretty amazing "Juveniles" as they were called back then.

A good choice. Heinlein is one of the "big three". Of those, Asimov is my favorite, and The End of Eternity is my favorite SF story of all time. Of the big three, IMO Clarke is in last place. I just can't get into him. I finally learned to appreciate 2001, but even that took some doing. I actually like L Ron Hubbard better than Clarke. Aside from the unfortunate thing with Dianetics, he was a great writer - maybe a little purple, but I like that.

Currently Orson Scott Card is probably the best IMO.

Yeah, I loved Ender's Game. I haven't read the others in your list. I read broadly - not just SF - so I'm not always current. The only reason I read The Hunger Games was because of the attention it got. My kids wanted to see the movie, so I wanted to know what it was about. I also tried (emphasis on "tried") to read Harry Potter. Ugh. And the movies were worse - just plain bad. Looking at it analytically, I can see why it appealed to so many people, but I'm not a fan.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Since Pockayne of Mars has been mentioned I think it is worth pointing out that this is one of the cases where the author objected to the final form of the book. CHanges were forced on Heinlein and he felt them so significant that he refused to renew a rather lucrative contract with the publisher unless their juvenile editor was fired. Fortunately she was not or Heinlein might have been content to keep cranking out exceptional juvenile books.

The ending the Heinlein demanded is available as an appendix in Grumbles from the Grave.

Upvote 0