Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

Considering how many religions there are in the world, there must be a lot of delusional people.

BTW, isn't Zen considered a religion stemming from the Buddhist?

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't read it yet. I rarely take time to read non work related books anymore, but I intend to make time for that one. I do like his premise, which is that religion is often taken as an answer to material problems and it stifles research into the material answer.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I read Dawkins (and I haven't read much of his work), I get the impression that he's saying.. here are the things that are wrong with religion today...therefore, there is no God. I find that..illogical.. I don't know if he's actually saying that, that's just the impression I got.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone read the book? A friend gave it to me to read and it's a monster, I don't know if I should waste me time. I do however like to read what the other side is saying...
No I didn't read it. I've read enough review both pro & con to know its not anything I haven't heard before. Just not my thing. I'm in the middle of reading some books Karin sent me that are much more uplifting. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't read it yet. I rarely take time to read non work related books anymore, but I intend to make time for that one. I do like his premise, which is that religion is often taken as an answer to material problems and it stifles research into the material answer.

I had that premise before I was religious. Its an easy assumption to make.

However, as you once quoted St Aquinas... "Human salvation requires the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."

So now I know better. :)

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not Dawkins bet effort, better stick to his science/science books like the Selffish Gene or the Blindwathmaker, or the upcomming Evolution, is just a theory? (working title based ironically on Jesuit Teilhard De Chardin answer, evolution is not just a theory).
He just rehashes every atheist straw man against religion since the XVIII century and add the idea, that must be loved by fundies but I find entirely ilogical, that evolutionary biology precludes a God (I answer is evolution is neutral). No wonder fundies do quote him a lot.
What the read atheist books, go for Bertrand Russel "Why I'm not a Christian?".
Of the new atheist Sam Harris is the better in my opinion. Richard Dorkins should stick to science.

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Anyone read the book? A friend gave it to me to read and it's a monster, I don't know if I should waste me time. I do however like to read what the other side is saying...

I'd suggest reading the Dawkins' delusion instead. It summarizes and refutes the most egregious errors and falsehoods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An interesting article about those that continually use the same acusations towards Christianity. It's a series about talking with atheists.

Myth No. 4: Jesus Didn’t Found the Church

BY FATHER THOMAS WILLIAMS, LC

Though the neo-atheist authors such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins take issue with God himself and religion in general, they devote dozens of pages to criticizing Christianity in particular.

They attack the foundations of Christianity as well as its doctrines, in an attempt to undermine both its historical roots and its internal consistency.

To begin with, the atheists question the historical existence of Jesus Christ himself. Next they cast doubt on the reliability of the New Testament texts as a historical document. The issue that concerns us here, however, is the atheists’ claim regarding the founding of the Christian Church.

They claim that even if Jesus did exist, he certainly never intended to found a church. This latter innovation — they assert — would be the work of the generations that came after him and twisted his original intention.

Legionary Father Thomas Williams is Vatican analyst for CBS News. His new book is Greater Than You Think: A Theologian Answers the Atheists About God
(New York: Hachette, June 2008). twilliams@legionaries.org.

Continued- http://ncregister.com/site/article/15289/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.