Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since this thread has kind of turned into a foodie discussion :D, I thought I would toss a question out there to broaden the discussion to include other aspects of healthy living.

What does everyone do for exercise?

2 hours of basketball once a week which I'm about to leave to go do now. Need to work in 20 to 30 minutes on the eliptical a couple of times a week too.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am currently doing nothing for exercise - which is horrible, especially since I'm pregnant. I just don't have the energy by the time I get home and getting up any earlier than I do is simply out of the question. :sorry:

I am hoping to start walking again in the evenings now that it's cooling off (85 instead of 95 lol).

After baby is born, I will have access to a pool and plan on swimming, biking, and walking. I like to do toning exercises in the pool, so that will help with strengthening, too.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get up at 5am Mon-Fri to exercise. Saturday and Sunday, we get up early and on Saturday we walk, and Sunday we bike - both outdoors. This Saturday we walked for 4 miles but did not bike as my h's knee was hurting. The week before, we did a 14 mile bike ride. I'm so grateful that San Antonio created some awesome trails that run alongside (empty) creeks, because you would almost think you were somewhere really pretty, instead of San Antonio, at least for a while. :) When we go really early - just before daybreak - we see deer and rabbits and there are red cardinals all over the place. Really pretty. I like that kind of exercise!! It's still too hot to be out after 8am, unfortunately.

Mon-Fri, I am either on the treadmill, or using weights. We do have an elliptical machine, but it puts too much pressure on my knees, and so I have quit using it. We also have a Total Gym, and that is great fun. I always emphasize the importance of women doing some kind of either weights or calisthenics, because it strengthens the bones. Women are at risk as we get into our 40's and 50's of osteopenia and osteoporosis, and exercise along with calcium and vitamin D is essential to hold this off. This can be even more so if you have a genetic predisposition to osteoporosis. I was disagnosed with osteopenia in my mid-40's when I finally persuaded my doctor to send me for a DEXA scan. The scan is really easy and quick, and my doc had to stop telling me at that point that it was too early for me to have bone loss, because the scan made it clear that I was in fact in the early stages! Both my parents had osteoporosis, and my sis (older than me) had already lost 5% of her bone mass. Bone issues, bah.

My exercise is limited of course by my arthritis, which is hugely frustrating. I watch those runners flying by me on our walks, and I deeply envy them. I would love to be doing that. Oh well ...

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I get up at 5am Mon-Fri to exercise. Saturday and Sunday, we get up early and on Saturday we walk, and Sunday we bike - both outdoors. This Saturday we walked for 4 miles but did not bike as my h's knee was hurting. The week before, we did a 14 mile bike ride. I'm so grateful that San Antonio created some awesome trails that run alongside (empty) creeks, because you would almost think you were somewhere really pretty, instead of San Antonio, at least for a while. :) When we go really early - just before daybreak - we see deer and rabbits and there are red cardinals all over the place. Really pretty. I like that kind of exercise!! It's still too hot to be out after 8am, unfortunately.

Mon-Fri, I am either on the treadmill, or using weights. We do have an elliptical machine, but it puts too much pressure on my knees, and so I have quit using it. We also have a Total Gym, and that is great fun. I always emphasize the importance of women doing some kind of either weights or calisthenics, because it strengthens the bones. Women are at risk as we get into our 40's and 50's of osteopenia and osteoporosis, and exercise along with calcium and vitamin D is essential to hold this off. This can be even more so if you have a genetic predisposition to osteoporosis. I was disagnosed with osteopenia in my mid-40's when I finally persuaded my doctor to send me for a DEXA scan. The scan is really easy and quick, and my doc had to stop telling me at that point that it was too early for me to have bone loss, because the scan made it clear that I was in fact in the early stages! Both my parents had osteoporosis, and my sis (older than me) had already lost 5% of her bone mass. Bone issues, bah.

My exercise is limited of course by my arthritis, which is hugely frustrating. I watch those runners flying by me on our walks, and I deeply envy them. I would love to be doing that. Oh well ...

If riding a bike irritates his knee but walking doesn't and he doesn't have any injury, it's likely that there is an issue with either his seat height or the angle of his foot if he's using any kind of shoe/pedal system that locks his feet in. I used to be a bike messenger, I raced (poorly) and I worked in a bike shop where we did specialized fittings. A seat height that's even a few millimeters too high or too low can cause knee issues. Another very common cause of knee discomfort in cyclists is trying to muscle too big a gear. Unless climbing a hill or going very fast, you really shouldn't be pushing all that hard on the pedals. And your pedals should be turning at about 120 rpm. Sounds fast but a person's walking stride is about 60 per minute and the distance your feet move on a bike is about half a stride.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to change the subject completely I just think this is "funny"..for those that were on here saying we "need to drink milk for the calcium"...

Dean Inudustries the largest producer of dairy in the U.S ..is you guessed it the manufacturers of Silk...one of if not the leading brand of Soy and Almond and Rice milk...and the FUNNY part is???..they "boast" their soy and their almond has "50% more calcium than milk".. ^_^

Dallas

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Not to change the subject completely I just think this is "funny"..for those that were on here saying we "need to drink milk for the calcium"...

Dean Inudustries the largest producer of dairy in the U.S ..is you guessed it the manufacturers of Silk...one of if not the leading brand of Soy and Almond and Rice milk...and the FUNNY part is???..they "boast" their soy and their almond has "50% more calcium than milk".. ^_^

Dallas
I was thinking about this the other day at the store. I figure they are hedging their bets!
^_^

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Today, I found out that Iceland has the lowest rates of depression in the world and they live without sun for half the year! And, the reason? They eat a lot of fish, low carb, diet! Here is another link about Omega 3 and depression:

"Depression is least common in countries where people eat the most fish, such as Japan, Iceland, and Korea, while countries with low fish consumption have the highest rates. They includes the U.S., Canada, and West Germany. People with depression often have low levels of EPA and DHA in their tissues compared with healthy people, but it is not clear what this means."

Omega-3 Fat Health Benefits on Mental Health : The Prevention of Depression, Bipolar Disorder & Other Conditions : Healthy Essential Fats

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Today, I found out that Iceland has the lowest rates of depression in the world and they live without sun for half the year! And, the reason? They eat a lot of fish, low carb, diet! Here is another link about Omega 3 and depression:

"Depression is least common in countries where people eat the most fish, such as Japan, Iceland, and Korea, while countries with low fish consumption have the highest rates. They includes the U.S., Canada, and West Germany. People with depression often have low levels of EPA and DHA in their tissues compared with healthy people, but it is not clear what this means."

Omega-3 Fat Health Benefits on Mental Health : The Prevention of Depression, Bipolar Disorder & Other Conditions : Healthy Essential Fats
I guess eating at Long John Silver's would cancel out these benefits!
:p

Reactions: c1ners
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I thought Japan had a really high suicide rate though??

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

I thought Japan had a really high suicide rate though??

I am glad you brought this up. Suicide rates are not solely correlated to depression and/or mental health issues. Japan, a shame society (Shame society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), often correlates personal failure to inadequacy. Suicide is tolerated in Japan and it is often closely tied to shame (unemployment, personal mistakes, etc). Achievement, not the person, is valued in Japan. And, I can see why this causes much pressure on an individual's psyche.

It would seem that a lot of individuals in Japan kill themselves out of shaming the family name. Their thought processes, nurtured in childhood, paved the way toward an unfortunate fate.

Although, it is of the paleo theory, that more fat in one's diet can be correlated to greater mood stability. Japan's diet is relatively low in saturated fat (other countries of high saturated fat--italy--also have a long life span).

Religious countries are less likely to commit suicide, although rates of depression may be high.

Unfortunately, no stat is out of the clear and there will always be discrepancies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meat being bad for the colon is one of the myths, according to the paleo diet. Eating bread, alone, may not be bad for health. But, it depends on what kind it is and how often. However, I do have a gluten sensitivity and certain breads cause abdominal pain.

Nothing more tasty than soft bread and warm butter!

I believe sprouted wheat is better for those sensitive to gluten.:)(plus its DELICIOUS)you probably already know that but thought I would share what I have "learned" lately.^_^

Dallas

Upvote 0
C

CarrieAnnC

Meat being bad for the colon is one of the myths, according to the paleo diet.
Maybe according to a diet guru, but I have suffered gastro issues past 10 years with of course aging body. After colonoscopy, gastroenterologist advises a limitation on meat, and greater ease has occurred. Everyone's body is different.

Eating bread, alone, may not be bad for health. But, it depends on what kind it is and how often. However, I do have a gluten sensitivity and certain breads cause abdominal pain.

Nothing more tasty than soft bread and warm butter!
I do not eat bread alone. I eat many things, with bread a small part. Moderation is a good word - dans la modération - in moderation.

Upvote 0