The future of our health

E

Everlasting33

This is all well and good, but a "rebuttal" isn't necessary since this isn't a debate thread. :) Please just post your information independently if you want to share it, rather than using it to try and counter what vegetarians are sharing. :)

FWIW, I'm interested in both sides, but I don't want it to become an argument about who is right/wrong.

How do I share my information independently, when its in a response to a posting of yours?

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do I share my information independently, when its in a response to a posting of yours?

I just mean to please not quote someone else's post and share something to rebut what they have shared. Just post your info in the thread and share it that way.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I know. I read the article. I was just giving a rebuttal in the defense of meat. Like I said earlier, the world's healthiest people are not all vegetarians. :)

I found a link that showed that there are several cancers that vegetarians get more than meat eaters:

Cancer Vegetarianism & Diet
There weren't many cancers that vegetarians were more likely to get than meat eaters, and the difference was so tiny between vegetarians and meat eaters that I really wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks for sharing. It actually confirmed me in my decision. :)

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is all well and good, but a "rebuttal" isn't necessary since this isn't a debate thread. :) Please just post your information independently if you want to share it, rather than using it to try and counter what vegetarians are sharing. :)

FWIW, I'm interested in both sides, but I don't want it to become an argument about who is right/wrong.
I'm not interested in argument either. I'm not here to convert anyone. I think it's helpful to share these things in a non-combative environment.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's helpful to share these things in a non-combative environment.

This is the intended goal of the thread. :thumbsup:

I have enjoyed the diverse opinions shared here and the information provided, as well. Ideally, we each to take it all in and then take it/leave it as we see fit. :)

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A thought/question about vegitarianism. If it's so much healthier, and so normal/natural for our bodies, then why is it something that many people have to work so hard at? I mean we've heard from several people who were vegetarian at some point or multiple different times in their lives but who aren't now? Or people who tried it for a while and then went back? Is it possible that it's better and healthier for some and not for others?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the answer to that, Chaz, is that although it's natural and healthy for our bodies....it DOES require pre-planning and frequent trips to the market (that's been my experience anyway). If I were privledged enough to have all the ingredients necessary right at my disposal (in my kitchen).....it would be much simpler and easier to "keep up". As Jane said, going out to restuarants isn't always easy.....lots of times, there aren't choices that fit. Our culture just doesn't generally bend in that direction.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me, I married a man who loved to eat meat, who had two little kids who also were accustomed to eating meat. It was too much to manage all the changes in my life at that time, and try to make vegetarian meals for kids who had been living on microwave food. It was hard enough to get them accustomed to fresh chicken, rather than chicken nuggets, let alone vegetables. (That is no criticism of my h, who had to adapt to single parenting overnight, and was working 18 hour days.) I got lazy then, and just accepted meat again. I have often wanted to get back to vegetarianism, but it just didn't pan out, and it's only really because my h got on board - for however long - that I have started this over again. Now, I'm determined that I won't change my mind because, in my experience and from my reading, it just makes better sense.

I never was unhealthy when I didn't eat meat. I never got anemia, nor any vitamin deficiences in fact, as I've said before, I was at a really good weight for my height, and I had oodles of energy.

What MK is very true. It's easier now to shop for the right food than it was. I have time for it. I have time to cook it too. I didn't have that before. Eating out is going to be challenging in south central Texas, lol. They kinda look at you funny when you ask for things without meat!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Something I wanted to add is.....I don't think anyone is implying that eating one way or the other is going to be a guarantee. It's more about adding "life" to our years....NOT years to our life. God is really the only one in control of that. We hear about 13 y/o boys that are physically active that are having massive heart attacks and dying, 40 y/o vegans that do yoga each day and haven't eaten animal protein since they were a child that have heart attacks, people that smoke like trains/drink like fishes/never excercise/eat nothing but garbage, that live until they are 95....on and on. All we can do is educate ourselves.....reasonably, prayerfully, and logically process what we read/hear....see how our bodies respond.....be our own advocates.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something I wanted to add is.....I don't think anyone is implying that eating one way or the other is going to be a guarantee. It's more about adding "life" to our years....NOT years to our life. God is really the only one in control of that. We hear about 13 y/o boys that are physically active that are having massive heart attacks and dying, 40 y/o vegans that do yoga each day and haven't eaten animal protein since they were a child that have heart attacks, people that smoke like trains/drink like fishes/never excercise/eat nothing but garbage, that live until they are 95....on and on. All we can do is educate ourselves.....reasonably, prayerfully, and logically process what we read/hear....see how our bodies respond.....be our own advocates.
^^^ Very excellent MK. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A thought/question about vegitarianism. If it's so much healthier, and so normal/natural for our bodies, then why is it something that many people have to work so hard at? I mean we've heard from several people who were vegetarian at some point or multiple different times in their lives but who aren't now? Or people who tried it for a while and then went back? Is it possible that it's better and healthier for some and not for others?

My husband is the only reason I am not a pescatarian right now. I have thought about appeasing the caveman in him and simply incorporating red meat into our meal once a week or so. If I made some sort of surf-n-turf dish one night a week, he would most likely eat vegetarian/pescatarian the rest of the time. Not to mention that he would still be free to eat meat for lunch since we do not eat the same lunches.

It was never difficult or hard work for me to be a vegetarian or pescatarian. In fact, the only times in my adult life that I have altered from it have been in marriage.

My body is definitely healthier and more regulated the less meat/animal protein I consume. Those were also the times in my life that I was at my best (or at least better) weight. I was more fit and had way more energy.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well said.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

There weren't many cancers that vegetarians were more likely to get than meat eaters, and the difference was so tiny between vegetarians and meat eaters that I really wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks for sharing. It actually confirmed me in my decision. :)

I am glad it helped to confirm you.

Its important to include many vegetables into our diet and we can agree on this: limit sugar and processed foods. Hopefully, the healthier we all eat, the more pressure for these food companies to stop producing certain products. I haven't eaten at McDonalds in almost 3 years (the rest of the fast food chains a little over 2 years) and I don't buy chips/cookies/cakes at the grocery store.

Americans are pretty unhealthy when compared to other industralized countries and not giving fast food corporations my business is a small way to resist their "toxic" food.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

On another facet of health, what do you guys use for beauty and health products? Since I've been married, I don't use any chemicals in cleaning. I use a Haan mop that cleans only by hot steam. I use vinegar and baking soda for dusting and cleaning. Makeup and bathing products are all natural/organic. Because breast cancer runs in the family, I do not use underarm deoderant with aluminum in it.

I use fresh air from outside and air purifers to help the indoor quality of air. :)

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
On another facet of health, what do you guys use for beauty and health products? Since I've been married, I don't use any chemicals in cleaning. I use a Haan mop that cleans only by hot steam. I use vinegar and baking soda for dusting and cleaning. Makeup and bathing products are all natural/organic. Because breast cancer runs in the family, I do not use underarm deoderant with aluminum in it.

I use fresh air from outside and air purifers to help the indoor quality of air. :)
A little steam/hot water goes a long way.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Im a chemical factory so far.:cry:My husband had brought home some sort of free health magazine geared around "beauty" products..and by the time I got through reading it I was terrified..and every product I had from my liptstick to my shampoo that I put on my body according to what I was reading has toxic cancer causing chemicals in them.

I use a lot of bleach in the kitchen too..especially since i started feeding my cats a raw meat diet..(speaking of meat..cats are carnivores)..to be sure there are no deadly bacterias contaminating our food..

As far as I know..bleach is the only sure way to kill bacterias such as e-coli...:confused:

Dallas

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree
a lot of chronic conditions can be addressed rather effectively by lifestyle changes.
My dad has lost about 100lbs over the last year or so and
is on the verge of being taken off of BP meds and
is no longer borderline for Type II Diabetes.

All b/c of dietary changes he made and exercising.
BRAVO! :thumbsup: GOOD for him.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have not done the Blood Type Diet, but I had a coworker in the past who did.

I should look into that. :)
Yes, the "Blood Type"-approach works, & don't let the nay-sayers influence you.

We know over 100-people it works quite well :thumbsup: for.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a steam mop and I love that thing! I want to switch to a eucalyptus based cleaner, but haven't found one yet. I'm going to have to look at the health food store. If I can't find a reasonably priced one, then I will use some essential oil and water. I've heard that works well.

I don't use any natural beauty products right now. Unfortunately, this stuff all costs more than the stuff I use and it's simply not in my budget right now. As I can afford to switch things over, though, I will.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do use a plant-based floor cleaner & All-purpose cleaner, sold by Gold Canyon.

GoldCanyon.com | All Products

I began using them mostly for the fragrance, and they do a great job of cleaning....but, I also use quite a bit of bleach.

Steeler....have you tried the coconut oil for under your arms, instead of deordorant?

Upvote 0