The first heresy

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In church history there really is a first heresy. It involved circumcision and obedience to the Law of Moses.
And some, coming down from Judea, taught the brethren: That, except you be circumcised after the manner of Moses, you cannot be saved. And when Paul and Barnabas had no small contest with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of the other side should go up to the apostles and priests to Jerusalem, about this question. They therefore, being brought on their way by the church, passed through Phenice and Samaria, relating the conversion of the Gentiles. And they caused great joy to all the brethren. And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received by the church and by the apostles and ancients, declaring how great things God had done with them. But there arose of the sect of the Pharisees some that believed, saying: They must be circumcised and be commanded to observe the law of Moses. And the apostles and ancients assembled to consider of this matter. And when there had been much disputing, Peter, rising up, said to them: Men, brethren, you know that in former days God made choice among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God, who knoweth the hearts, gave testimony, giving unto them the Holy Ghost, as well as to us: And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore, why tempt you God to put a yoke upon the necks of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, we believe to be saved, in like manner as they also. And all the multitude held their peace: and they heard Barnabas and Paul telling what great signs and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them. And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying: Men, brethren, hear me. Simon hath related how God first visited to take to the Gentiles, a people to his name. And to this agree the words of the prophets, as it is written: After these things I will return and will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down: and the ruins thereof I will rebuild. And I will set it up: That the residue of men may seek after the Lord, and all nations upon whom my name is invoked, saith the Lord, who doth these things. To the Lord was his own work known from the beginning of the world. For which cause, judge that they who from among the Gentiles are converted to God are not to be disquieted: But that we write unto them, that they refrain themselves from the pollutions of idols and from fornication and from things strangled and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him in the synagogues, where he is read every sabbath.
Acts 15:1-21 DRB

It troubled the Church in Syrian Antioch, it came from the Church in Jerusalem, it involved people from the "Pharisee party" (think Conservative party).

It led to a Church council, a letter containing instructions from the Apostles and Elders who attended the council. It changed the way the gospel was to be preached.
Then it pleased the apostles and ancients, with the whole church, to choose men of their own company and to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas, who was surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren. Writing by their hands: The apostles and ancients, brethren, to the brethren of the Gentiles that are at Antioch and in Syria and Cilicia, greeting. Forasmuch as we have heard that some going out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, to whom we gave no commandment: It hath seemed good to us, being assembled together, to choose out men and to send them unto you, with our well beloved Barnabas and Paul: Men that have given their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who themselves also will, by word of mouth, tell you the same things. For it hath seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us to lay no further burden upon you than these necessary things: That you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication: from which things keeping yourselves, you shall do well. Fare ye well. They therefore, being dismissed, went down to Antioch and, gathering together the multitude, delivered the epistle. Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation. But Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, with many words comforted the brethren and confirmed them. And after they had spent some time there, they were let go with peace by the brethren unto them that had sent them. But it seemed good unto Silas to remain there: and Judas alone departed to Jerusalem. And Paul and Barnabas continued at Antioch, teaching and preaching, with many others, the word of the Lord.
Acts 15:22-35 DRB

And what you you think we deal with today, as if the council never happened, for some. We deal with some people who want believers to get circumcised and obey the Law of Moses, observe Sabbaths, New Moons, feasts, and keep Kosher.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are the weightier matters of the Law written on our hearts today, that we are not doing?
There is a lot being done and even more can be done to help the needy, but if do all this and we do not help them to make the choice to humbly accept God's love as pure undeserved charity are we Loving them?

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What are the weightier matters of the Law written on our hearts today, that we are not doing?
There is a lot being done and even more can be done to help the needy, but if do all this and we do not help them to make the choice to humbly accept God's love as pure undeserved charity are we Loving them?
One can both Love God, believe him, and love the poor in practical ways; some, such as Mother Teresa lived a life of poverty (of a sort) for the sake of the poorest of the poor. And despite moments of doubt and complaints from outside she managed to carry on until her death; now she is a canonised saint and recognised as a teacher of the Church.

Mother Teresa avoided the first heresy; she did good works without demanding obedience to the Law of Moses and conversion to Judaism.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In church history there really is a first heresy. It involved circumcision and obedience to the Law of Moses.
And some, coming down from Judea, taught the brethren: That, except you be circumcised after the manner of Moses, you cannot be saved.
No scripture in OT or NT taught that gentiles must be circumcised or they could not be saved. So this idea was something "made up" -- specifically by Christian Jews.

3 Therefore, after being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and they were bringing great joy to all the brothers and sisters. 4 When they arrived in Jerusalem, they were received by the church, the apostles, and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to keep the Law of Moses.”

And they caused great joy to all the brethren. And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received by the church and by the apostles and ancients, declaring how great things God had done with them. But there arose of the sect of the Pharisees some that believed, saying: They must be circumcised and be commanded to observe the law of Moses. And the apostles and ancients assembled to consider of this matter.

And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying: Men, brethren, hear me. Simon hath related how God first visited to take to the Gentiles, a people to his name. And to this agree the words of the prophets,... For which cause, judge that they who from among the Gentiles are converted to God are not to be disquieted: But that we write unto them, that they refrain themselves from the pollutions of idols and from fornication and from things strangled and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him in the synagogues, where he is read every Sabbath.
Notice how James summarizes the solution?

How is it that Moses being preached every Sabbath in the synagogues is part of the solution to this problem regarding Gentiles needing to be circumcised to be saved?

Is James dictating that Moses be preached every Sabbath in the synagogues - as if non-Christian Jews are watching to see what James might decree? I think we all agree that he is not doing that.

Rather James is pointing out something that is already happening and he points out that this solves any legitimate concerns the Christian Jews may have regarding the gentiles.

Notice that just prior to Acts 15 - we have gentiles waiting for Jews to leave the synagogue on Sabbath in Acts 13 -- then specifically asking Paul for "more Gospel preaching" to be scheduled for them (and the whole town) -- "on the NEXT Sabbath".

So also in Acts 17:1-5, and in Acts 18:3-7 "every Sabbath" Acts 18:4 -- Paul is preaching the Gospel to both gentiles and Jews in the synagogue. James is pointing that gentiles are already hearing scripture every Sabbath in the synagogues - so they do not need to be circumcised as Jews in order to accept scripture and worship the one true God.

================ so then "in context" -- back to Acts 15 ... .the letter of "solution" sent to gentiles.

We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who themselves also will, by word of mouth, tell you the same things. For it hath seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us to lay no further burden upon you than these necessary things: That you
abstain from things sacrificed to idols

and from blood (Lev 17:10-15)
and from things strangled (Lev 17:10-15)
and from fornication: (Ex 20:14)

What is missing from that list?

-- pretty much -- All of scripture is missing including
"do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 , and Matt 22
"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18 - and Matt 22, and Rom 13, and James 2 and ...
All the commandments listed by Christ in Matt 19
All the commandments listed by Paul in Rom 13
All the commandments listed by James in James 2.

IT's all missing from that Acts 15 letter aside from some small section from Lev 17 and Exodus 20:14

James was not writing a new two-sentence Bible for gentiles to be used instead of all of scripture. He was addressing the specific problem in Acts 15.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We deal with some people who want believers to get circumcised and obey the Law of Moses, observe Sabbaths, New Moons, feasts, and keep Kosher.
scripture is not so easily set aside.

Is 66:23 says that for all eternity after the cross -- in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

In Acts 10 Peter confesses that he is not eating foods that scripture rejects in Lev 11. Even to that very day. Peter reports his Acts 10 vision 3 times and in all three cases he says it is about "gentile evangelism" and is most specifically not about "start eating rat sandwiches".

So while it is true that the annual shadow Sabbaths of Lev 23 that pointed to the death of Christ cease when the "animal sacrifices and offerings" cease Heb 10:4-12 at the cross

-- it is not true that the moral law of God that included all TEN of the Ten commandments also ceased then. The moral law of God continues and that includes "the Commandments of God". Such that "the saints keep the Commandments of God and their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

========================================================

Interesting that the Rev 14:12 and Is 66:23 statements above - are not exactly "opposed" to certain comments found in Catholic documents -

Dies Domini pt 13 -
"the Sabbath ...is therefore rooted in the depths of God's plan. This is why unlike many other laws - it is not within the context of strictly cultic (Jewish) stipulations but within the Decalogue the "ten words" which represent the very pillars of moral life inscribed on the human heart!! In setting this commandment within the context of the basic structure of ethics, Israel and then the church declare that they consider it not just a matter of community religious discipline but a defining and indelible expression of our relationship to God, announced and expounded by biblical revelations.​

Catholic Catechism

2056 The word "Decalogue" means literally "ten words."11 God revealed these "ten words" to his people on the holy mountain. They were written "with the finger of God,"12 unlike the other commandments written by Moses.13 They are pre-eminently the words of God. They are handed on to us in the books of Exodus 14 and Deuteronomy.15 Beginning with the Old Testament, the sacred books refer to the "ten words,"16 but it is in the New Covenant in Jesus Christ that their full meaning will be revealed.​
2072 Since they express man's fundamental duties towards God and towards his neighbor, the Ten Commandments reveal, in their primordial content, grave obligations.They are fundamentally immutable, and they oblige always and everywhere. No one can dispense from them. the Ten Commandments are engraved by God in the human heart.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Even to that very day. Peter reports his Acts 10 vision 3 times and in all three cases he says it is about "gentile evangelism" and is most specifically not about "start eating rat sandwiches".
It is about eating bacon sandwiches.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me there are a lot of anachronistic interpretations of this council/what the issue at the heart of it actually was since it often gets cast in a theological landscape permeated with arguments over justification. What the issue seems to be is not a simply a mattter of justification, but one of identity and what statement is being made. Circumcision was directly tied with the promise, and was to remain as a reminder of the promise made to Abraham and fulfilled in Jesus. So when the Judaizers were insisting on circumcision for the inclusion of the gentiles they were in effect denying the fulfillment of the promises. While it is related to justification and obedience, it was more that the Judaizers were insisting that gentiles must become Jewish proselytes before they can be Christian and treating it as nothing more than another faction of Judaism.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me there are a lot of anachronistic interpretations of this council/what the issue at the heart of it actually was since it often gets cast in a theological landscape permeated with arguments over justification.
If you intend "forensic justification" then I see the reason for your comment, however if Justification is "being made good/righteous" then, no, it is not anachronistic to see the issue as deeply involved in how a man becomes acceptable to God in principle and in fact.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you intend "forensic justification" then I see the reason for your comment, however if Justification is "being made good/righteous" then, no, it is not anachronistic to see the issue as deeply involved in how a man becomes acceptable to God in principle and in fact.
I do mean it as "forensic justification." The issue certainly has to do with being made right with God, but the error wasn't about trying to be obedient but about denying the significance of the incarnation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do mean it as "forensic justification." The issue certainly has to do with being made right with God, but the error wasn't about trying to be obedient but about denying the significance of the incarnation.
You contend that people today misread the council in Acts 15 by making it a council about incarnational Christology?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You contend that people today misread the council in Acts 15 by making it a council about incarnational Christology?
No, I contend they misread the council by not recognizing what the challenge actually was and taking it as a dispute over particular ordinances.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, I contend they misread the council by not recognizing what the challenge actually was and taking it as a dispute over particular ordinances.
It wasn't about ordinances. Who says that it is?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't about ordinances. Who says that it is?
It's a common thread to lose sight of the nature of the heresy involved for the particulars of circumcision and obedience or questions of authority. In demanding circumcision the Judaizers were denying Christ, which is easily missed given the developments in theology that center on the passage. There are many ways it can be used anachronistically, it seems I missed that you are once again trying to use it to assert the existence of an ecclesiology that is not present in the text.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would think if God's Torah were written in someone's heart, they can be seen doing what Torah says daily in their lives, even if they do not have a Bible nor Bible instruction nor a church, etc. This is clearly stated in Romans.

fwiw, there is no word in Hebrew that I know of, nor in Scripture, meaning "charity". It is often mistranslated in some English translations, but in truth it is righteousness - doing what is right , not what 'feels' right or good, but what God Says is Truth and Right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would think if God's Torah were written in someone's heart, they can be seen doing what Torah says daily in their lives, even if they do not have a Bible nor Bible instruction nor a church, etc. This is clearly stated in Romans.

fwiw, there is no word in Hebrew that I know of, nor in Scripture, meaning "charity". It is often mistranslated in some English translations, but in truth it is righteousness - doing what is right , not what 'feels' right or good, but what God Says is Truth and Right.
Charity is sometimes the English word used for the Greek word ἀγάπη.

Upvote 0