• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Heartofsilver

Bride of Christ 4/8/17 Isaiah 54:5
Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

The other day I posted a hot topic on Facebook. I later came back to discover that a Christian acquaintance had given me a textbook response on the LGBTQI+ community and told me that what I posted was an insult. Her and a non-Christian aquintence both insisted that I message them on this topic. Not once did the first person asked me the reason why I posted such a video.

It seems like no matter what the topic is no one ever asks the reason why someone has posted something. They usually seem to assume, throw thier opinion, textbook knowledge at you, and then leave topic. Even though these two invited me to message them, I didn't really know these people and didn't feel comfortable sharing anything about this subject with them. After reading what these two type, I felt very anxious for the next couple days. I kept feeling pushed by my anxious thoughts to share with them my own experiences and the experiences others have shared with me that had led me to that point and reasoning of why I shared what I shared. I also strongly felt that I shouldn't say anything, since one of them was being rude and it was none of thier business. I felt so anxious to the point where I felt that maybe if I shared this experience along with my own on Facebook that it might help other people who have been in similar situations as me. I also thought about calling a friend who is currently going through similar struggles that I may have gone through to some degree. I also felt that maybe God wanted me to share this part of my testimony with others. Though powerful, I felt far too anxious to do so and questioned how much it could help or hurt anyone at this time including myself if I did share it. I ended up not sharing it, since I felt like my anxiety and/or the spirit of fear was pushing me around with this kind of thinking. It's strange to think that people have lost friends and family members over something that happens through a screen.

Anxiety-600X600.jpg

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
FB is not a good place for any Christian to be, except those who are there for their ministry imo. I'm not alone in this belief. In fact, I have many friends who are in cybersecurity and NONE Of them have FB accounts. I used to have one just for my phone games but no longer.

It's not a safe place to be...not emotionally nor cyberly. Spend your time here, with Christians, and where you aren't allowed to be stalked, bullied, and hated. (((hugs)))

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's what you do; share things in real life, with real people, in actual face to face conversations, as God gives you opportunity. All of the anxiety about "should I post this?!" will vanish. I know that anxiety. It's crummy. And leads to unnecessary guilt trips and worry. And problems. Just either delete your account, or limit your "friends" to close friends (no more than a handful) and family.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

The other day I posted a hot topic on Facebook. I later came back to discover that a Christian acquaintance had given me a textbook response on the LGBTQI+ community and told me that what I posted was an insult. Her and a non-Christian aquintence both insisted that I message them on this topic. Not once did the first person asked me the reason why I posted such a video.

It seems like no matter what the topic is no one ever asks the reason why someone has posted something. They usually seem to assume, throw thier opinion, textbook knowledge at you, and then leave topic. Even though these two invited me to message them, I didn't really know these people and didn't feel comfortable sharing anything about this subject with them. After reading what these two type, I felt very anxious for the next couple days. I kept feeling pushed by my anxious thoughts to share with them my own experiences and the experiences others have shared with me that had led me to that point and reasoning of why I shared what I shared. I also strongly felt that I shouldn't say anything, since one of them was being rude and it was none of thier business. I felt so anxious to the point where I felt that maybe if I shared this experience along with my own on Facebook that it might help other people who have been in similar situations as me. I also thought about calling a friend who is currently going through similar struggles that I may have gone through to some degree. I also felt that maybe God wanted me to share this part of my testimony with others. Though powerful, I felt far too anxious to do so and questioned how much it could help or hurt anyone at this time including myself if I did share it. I ended up not sharing it, since I felt like my anxiety and/or the spirit of fear was pushing me around with this kind of thinking. It's strange to think that people have lost friends and family members over something that happens through a screen.

View attachment 232332

Don't feel sad you did good . It's not you who they reject but God .

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Buttercup11

Jul 1, 2018
Kansas
✟8,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was glad not only to find this website this morning but also this particular discussion. I’m grateful there is at least one Christian alternative to the madness of FB.

“I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord.”
~ Psalm 122:1

Upvote 0

Heartofsilver

Bride of Christ 4/8/17 Isaiah 54:5
Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think after this last thing that happened today, I'm not going to be posting on FB for awhile. This morning I heard some encouraging teachings from a pastor on there. Though she seemed to be unorthodox and I wasn't entirely agreeing with her ways, she had some powerful words to say that really connected with me as well as what I'm going through right now with a hardened heart and unforgiveness. I reposted it, so that maybe God could use it to help other people as He used it to help me. Later this evening , I see an unusual post from a new friend of mine about how some of his friends in the faith were reposting some of a heretical pastor's posts. I decided to ask which pastor he was talking about, lo' and behold he was talking about the one that I had just talked about. Again, he didn't even ask me why I posted what I posted. I have a reason behind why I post what I post and I post often. What was worse was that he gave me an discreet shout out on the internet for all of our mutual friends to see and I bit it hook , line, and sinker. :flushed:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Buttercup11

Jul 1, 2018
Kansas
✟8,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
:heartpulse: Here are a few reasons I have used Facebook: sharing photography and crochet, playing games, and staying in touch with family.

Now the main reason I stay on FB is that in order to play Scrabble on my cell phone the app needs my contacts to connect to my two friends on FB that I play with.

I think the internet has value if used moderately and with caution and discretion, though it can also be a source of danger. Christians need encouragement to find healthy ways of making friends in real life. It just doesn’t seem wise to set oneself up to be vulnerable to strangers on FB; it’s almost like hitchhiking because you can be risking your own well-being in order to get something you want or need - a feeling of connection, acceptance, or approval from others.

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
~ John 16:33

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Heartofsilver
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Buttercup11

Jul 1, 2018
Kansas
✟8,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Despite the fact that I enjoyed playing Scrabble, the main reason I kept my Facebook account over the last year, I finally disabled it last week and am doing all right without it. I stay in touch with friends and family by email, phone, text, and/or US mail. It's that easy. It slows my life down a bit and I feel calmer. I can easily make plans to meet with a friend for tea or lunch and spend time with them in person. I don't feel pressured by social media to get into heated discussions about politics or waste a lot of time getting distracted by other people's posts, videos, links, etc. I can spend more time focusing on what I need to do to take care of myself, help my family, read the Bible, and seek God's will for my life one day at a time. I also don't have to be bombarded by continuous ads for things I don't need or want. :)

Upvote 0

PDWriter

Sep 28, 2018
Tampa
✟10,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am five days off Facebook, and I am finding that I do not miss it. Sure, the first couple of days I found myself going there totally out of habit, but resisted. I was finding myself getting upset at things I was seeing, but going back for more. My anxiety would come on from worrying what others would think of what I may post and spending valuable time in that worry. The last straw was someone getting upset because I did not "like" something they posted. The funny thing is that I had not even seen the post.
Being off Facebook has lowered my stress and anxiety as well as given me more time to do the things that are really important like more time being fully engaged (off my phone) with my daughter and positive activities like more time in the Word.

Upvote 0

Buttercup11

Jul 1, 2018
Kansas
✟8,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Good for you! I’m still off FB and finding it doesn’t bother me at all. I did notice feeling kind of sick, however, after watching the testimonies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on TV last week. The way people talk to each other and what they say about each other is so disrespectful. I realized that people who live godless lives probably don’t believe there will be a Judgment Day or that there will be consequences for their actions. Does anyone of the world regard the 10 commandments to
be the sort of behavior God would like to see from those he created? Do they see that behavior modeled by those who love and fear God? Jesus said the truth will set you free.

Reactions: PDWriter
Upvote 0