The difference between quoting scripture, and the reality of how things are.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
But this kind of thing can be important when dealing with some fundamentalists and charismatics, some things in the Bible have a strong cultural and historic context that may not be readily apparent to some simply reading it without reading on the history of X.
A good example is that the church is divided, but sometimes people claim there is only one church and quote such and such scripture.

Obviously, there is more than one church with more than one teaching and application.

Similar issues arise with other concepts in scripture such as studying to be approved, which only applied when there was only one teaching. When there are many teachings, it becomes an exercise in people pleasing and soothsaying depending on which teaching you subscribe to.

There are other issues, but it tends to follow the same pattern - Reality is obvious but scripture becomes the sand that people stick their heads into.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said that. That's what you interpreted, which just stresses my point more, words are limited and cannot grasp the infailible.

words are incomplete, no matter who breathed them

You said this from post 13. How else can that be interpreted other than God's word is incomplete?

The only thing I am seeing at the present is your thoughts and your words are not matching which, is a common fault to all, some more than others, but cannot be applied to God.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you spot where you changed things? You stress my point every time you post something by how you interpreted my own words.

The words are not the problem. You keep making the "words" the problem when it is how we speak or how we listen that creates the problems.

You say I misinterpreted you but I gave you the opportunity to explain how what you said could be taken another way and your response is to play guessing games?

You have a nice day. :)

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Are there any passages in the scripture that address a similar issue?
Is this what you are getting at?
Romans 4:
(as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him
whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not
exist as though they did.
who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations,
according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.”
19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was
about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb.
20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith,
giving glory to God,
21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.
22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The words are not the problem. You keep making the "words" the problem when it is how we speak or how we listen that creates the problems.
The Son of God is the logos theos. Usually translated "word of God", Christ Jesus did not come
to Israel to teach by quoting scripture. From at least the age of 12, his teaching is about rightly
dividing the word of truth. We receive this truth by His Spirit that He has given us. The Son did
not come to tell us what the Torah says, but what God meant.

John 16:
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He
will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you
things to come
14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.
15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine
and declare it to you.

Psalm 25:
Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths.
5 Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation;
On You I wait all the day.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Son of God is the logos theos. Usually translated "word of God", Christ Jesus did not come
to Israel to teach by quoting scripture. From at least the age of 12, his teaching is about rightly
dividing the word of truth. We receive this truth by His Spirit that He has given us. The Son did
not come to tell us what the Torah says, but what God meant.

John 16:
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He
will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you
things to come
14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.
15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine
and declare it to you.

Psalm 25:
Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths.
5 Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation;
On You I wait all the day.

I appreciate what you are saying here but it only serves to show it is not the words in themselves that are the problem as Jesus did not need to rewrite scripture for it's meaning to be understood. Indeed, He quite often quoted them to prove His point.

I agree also that without the Spirit even the words of scripture are meaningless.

My stance is that the incompleteness is in us, not the word of God. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0