Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm absolutely gutted today. That was a pathetic showing for the Dems considering the shame of the last 2 years.
The Dems had too much gerrymandering and a bad map to work against.

But they decisively got the House so now there will be oversight of the White House. I suspect there will be a future lawsuit regarding Trump's tax returns when the IRS does not give them to the House committee that will be investigating.
Also, if Trump fires Mueller, it will trigger a vote for impeachment. Zinke will be called to the carpet.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm absolutely gutted today. That was a pathetic showing for the Dems considering the shame of the last 2 years.
What exact results do you expect!? The chance that the senate been taken by democrats is a long shot and unreasonable to expect that happening. It more reasonable to assume that the house being taken by democrats while the Republicans keep the senate.

How ungrateful must you be!?

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What exact results do you expect!? The chance that the senate been taken by democrats is a long shot and unreasonable to expect that happening. It more reasonable to assume that the house being taken by democrats while the Republicans keep the senate.

How ungrateful must you be!?

The Dems were gifted an almost once in a lifetime chance to send a message to the most unpopular president at this point in his term in polling history. His antics should have led to a complete blowout, and even if the Dems couldn’t take the senate due to the tough schedule then it should at least have been very close. Instead they scraped into the house, lost more seats in the senate and didn’t pull off nearly as many governorships as they could have. They also missed some very achievable house seats.

It was a terrible performance given the situation.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
The Dems were gifted an almost once in a lifetime chance to send a message to the most unpopular president at this point in his term in polling history. His antics should have led to a complete blowout, and even if the Dems couldn’t take the senate due to the tough schedule then it should at least have been very close. Instead they scraped into the house, lost more seats in the senate and didn’t pull off nearly as many governorships as they could have. They also missed some very achievable house seats.

..."Scraped into house"!? What kind of numbers are you expecting here? It seems that the majority of your disappointment comes from your unrealistic expectations!

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

It was better than you may be aware.
Check this:
45 Million More Americans Will Live In Democratic-Run States

Democrats swept key state legislative and gubernatorial races across the country Tuesday, ensuring that at least 45 million more Americans will live under unified Democratic governance of their states next year and opening the door for sweeping policy changes on issues such as health care and education.

The results mark a dramatic turnabout for Democrats, who had full control of just eight states prior to Tuesday’s elections. Republicans controlled 26 state governments, and 16 were split.

But Democrats rode a wave of voter enthusiasm into key governorships and invested huge sums to flip control of state legislatures. As of Wednesday morning, Democrats were projected to win full control in six new states — Colorado, Illinois, Maine, New Mexico, Nevada and New York — and had broken Republicans’ grip on Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire and Wisconsin.
Kansas, of all states, has a Democratic governor! Politics is a ground up operation
and that ground game is is surging. And then there are states like Massachusetts which has a Republican governor - but he is no Trump supporter.

So while I am disappointed that Beto lost a close race, and that Gillian lost a close one, I still think the Dems have much to cheer.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh and..

"Missouri Senate poll: NBC/Marist

Claire McCaskill (D) 50%
Josh Hawley (R) 47%"

Yeah.... :-\

Also, if Trump fires Mueller, it will trigger a vote for impeachment. Zinke will be called to the carpet.

Even if the House does vote to impeach, it'll never get past the Senate.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah.... :-\

Even if the House does vote to impeach, it'll never get past the Senate.
As of now. However, the investigation they can do regarding the emollients clause, the Russian probe, and corruption/obstruction is good.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, the House did become the blue wave after all.

And:
Wins By Democratic Attorneys General Threaten To Multiply Climate Suits Against Big Oil

Democrats scored a string of state attorney general victories on Tuesday night, ousting loyal oil and gas allies and threatening to add to mounting lawsuits against the industry over climate change.

The party flipped four states and held 13, re-electing incumbents in seven of them. in an election sweep that secured Democrats 27 states that represent over 58 percent of the U.S. population and 63 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product. The top-cop posts are considered the “most effective way” to challenge President Donald Trump’s environmental agenda.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...8-results-governors-state-legislatures-agenda

Democrats flipped seven governorships, six state legislative chambers, and more than 300 state House and Senate seats on election night. The party went a long way to regaining control at the state level after suffering devastating losses throughout the Barack Obama years.

In some states, the consequences are obvious. Maine elected Democrat Janet Mills as its next governor and put Democrats in complete control of the Maine Legislature, which should bring a rapid end to a year-long fight over Medicaid expansion in the state. Tens of thousands of low-income Mainers should soon get health insurance, now that Republican Gov. Paul LePage’s obstruction of a voter-approved ballot referendum is coming to an end, and 70,000 people will gain health insurance.

Democrats even made some important gains in states where they didn’t win legislative control. In Pennsylvania, for example, they merely broke the GOP supermajority in the Senate. After Pennsylvania Republicans last year considered impeaching the state judges who ruled that the state’s congressional maps should be redrawn — which would have required a supermajority in the Senate — that is still a notable achievement for Democrats. Gretchen Whitmer will have to contend with a GOP legislature as Michigan governor, but she still broke full Republican control over the state.​

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Keystone XL Pipeline got put on hold. Apparently, Donald's administration tried to overcome the environmental concerns by hand-waving and saying, "Nuh-uh, aren't none!".
NYTimes said:
Now, a federal judge has issued a repudiation of one of President Trump’s first acts as president, his decision to allow the disputed Keystone XL oil pipeline to proceed, saying that the administration failed to present a “reasoned explanation” for the move and “simply discarded” the effect the project would have on climate change.
Judge Blocks Disputed Keystone XL Pipeline in Setback for Trump

NYDailyNews said:
“An agency cannot simply disregard contrary or inconvenient factual determinations that it made in the past, anymore than it can ignore inconvenient facts when it writes on a blank slate,” ruled Judge Brian Morris.

President Trump referred to the Nov. 8 ruling as “a disgrace.”

Trump calls judge's decision to halt Keystone XL pipeline a "disgrace" - NY Daily News

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was hoping to flip 40 House seats. I think that we are at 39 with 10 Republican seats still to be decided (Dems lead in 6).

And this was the worst possible map for us. 2020 will be lots, lots better.

Well, the House did become the blue wave after all.

And:
Wins By Democratic Attorneys General Threaten To Multiply Climate Suits Against Big Oil

Democrats scored a string of state attorney general victories on Tuesday night, ousting loyal oil and gas allies and threatening to add to mounting lawsuits against the industry over climate change.

The party flipped four states and held 13, re-electing incumbents in seven of them. in an election sweep that secured Democrats 27 states that represent over 58 percent of the U.S. population and 63 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product. The top-cop posts are considered the “most effective way” to challenge President Donald Trump’s environmental agenda.

Democratic wins in these 9 states will have seismic policy consequences

Democrats flipped seven governorships, six state legislative chambers, and more than 300 state House and Senate seats on election night. The party went a long way to regaining control at the state level after suffering devastating losses throughout the Barack Obama years.

In some states, the consequences are obvious. Maine elected Democrat Janet Mills as its next governor and put Democrats in complete control of the Maine Legislature, which should bring a rapid end to a year-long fight over Medicaid expansion in the state. Tens of thousands of low-income Mainers should soon get health insurance, now that Republican Gov. Paul LePage’s obstruction of a voter-approved ballot referendum is coming to an end, and 70,000 people will gain health insurance.

Democrats even made some important gains in states where they didn’t win legislative control. In Pennsylvania, for example, they merely broke the GOP supermajority in the Senate. After Pennsylvania Republicans last year considered impeaching the state judges who ruled that the state’s congressional maps should be redrawn — which would have required a supermajority in the Senate — that is still a notable achievement for Democrats. Gretchen Whitmer will have to contend with a GOP legislature as Michigan governor, but she still broke full Republican control over the state.​

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Keystone XL Pipeline got put on hold. Apparently, Donald's administration tried to overcome the environmental concerns by hand-waving and saying, "Nuh-uh, aren't none!".

Judge Blocks Disputed Keystone XL Pipeline in Setback for Trump

Trump calls judge's decision to halt Keystone XL pipeline a "disgrace" - NY Daily News

I wish this hold would be extended to Standing Rock as well. I want to see oil pipelines kept off of tribal lands and prevent further encroachment of Big Oil and fracking upon these lands.

Keystone XL Pipeline: Native American Rights Fund

Keystone XL Pipeline Violates Indigenous Peoples' Treaty Rights

Tribes sue Trump administration for approving Keystone XL Pipeline

Native American Tribes File Lawsuit Seeking To Invalidate Keystone XL Pipeline Permit

The problem isn't just with the encroachment of Big Oil and fracking though. It is the continued total disregard and violation of the Treaties the U.S. government signed with the tribal nations. Before the Keystone XL Pipeline and the Dakota Access Pipeline, it was Oak Flat and the greedy politicians trying to sell sacred Apache land to a foreign mining company. It's the poisoning of the water of 40% of the Navajo Nation. It's the impending threat of Trump advisors aiming to privatize Indian Reservations and there was the proposed federal bill introduced by Utah Republican Congressmen Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz to take 100,000 acres of Ute tribal lands and hand the land over to oil and mining companies. And now it's Trump's border wall that will cross on Tohono O’odham Nation tribal land.

It's a long history of the U.S. government violating the Treaties it signed with the tribal nations.

Trump is breaking the federal government's promises to Native Americans

*I'm including many sources to substantiate the statements I made in the above paragraph.*

Oak Flat:

Sen. McCain deemed responsible for land swap at sacred Oak Flat

Watch Native American Activists Literally Chase John McCain Off Navajo Land

Trump administration set to advance copper mine on sacred Apache site

Navajo Nation Water Crisis:

Navajo Water Project

Flint Is Not The Only Water Crisis America Ignored

Water Hole: No Running Water on Navajo Nation Reservation

Water poverty on U.S. soil: why the Navajo Nation water crisis should shame us all

Aim to privatize Indian Reservations:

Trump advisors aim to privatize oil-rich Indian reservations

Proposed Federal Bill to Indian Land Grab:

Federal Bill Seeks First Native American Land Grab in 100 Years

Border Wall on Tohono O’odham Nation Tribal Land:

A Standing Rock on the Border?

A border tribe, and the wall that will divide it

Border Wall Threatens Native American Sovereignty

Trump's Border Wall Could Carve Path Through Native American Lands

Native American Tribe to DHS: Keep your dumb border wall off our land

American Indians fear U.S.-Mexico border wall will destroy ancient culture

Native American Tribe on U.S.-Mexico Border Blocks Trump's National Guard Troops From Its Lands

Lay one brick of the border wall and it will be the last of the Indian Wars, native Americans warn Trump

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was hoping to flip 40 House seats. I think that we are at 39 with 10 Republican seats still to be decided (Dems lead in 6).

Donald is going to try to fix that with the new census.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish this hold would be extended to Standing Rock as well. I want to see oil pipelines kept off of tribal lands and prevent further encroachment of Big Oil and fracking upon these lands.

Keystone XL Pipeline: Native American Rights Fund

Keystone XL Pipeline Violates Indigenous Peoples' Treaty Rights

Tribes sue Trump administration for approving Keystone XL Pipeline

Native American Tribes File Lawsuit Seeking To Invalidate Keystone XL Pipeline Permit

The problem isn't just with the encroachment of Big Oil and fracking though. It is the continued total disregard and violation of the Treaties the U.S. government signed with the tribal nations. Before the Keystone XL Pipeline and the Dakota Access Pipeline, it was Oak Flat and the greedy politicians trying to sell sacred Apache land to a foreign mining company. It's the poisoning of the water of 40% of the Navajo Nation. It's the impending threat of Trump advisors aiming to privatize Indian Reservations and there was the proposed federal bill introduced by Utah Republican Congressmen Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz to take 100,000 acres of Ute tribal lands and hand the land over to oil and mining companies. And now it's Trump's border wall that will cross on Tohono O’odham Nation tribal land.

It's a long history of the U.S. government violating the Treaties it signed with the tribal nations.

Trump is breaking the federal government's promises to Native Americans

*I'm including many sources to substantiate the statements I made in the above paragraph.*

Oak Flat:

Sen. McCain deemed responsible for land swap at sacred Oak Flat

Watch Native American Activists Literally Chase John McCain Off Navajo Land

Trump administration set to advance copper mine on sacred Apache site

Navajo Nation Water Crisis:

Navajo Water Project

Flint Is Not The Only Water Crisis America Ignored

Water Hole: No Running Water on Navajo Nation Reservation

Water poverty on U.S. soil: why the Navajo Nation water crisis should shame us all

Aim to privatize Indian Reservations:

Trump advisors aim to privatize oil-rich Indian reservations

Proposed Federal Bill to Indian Land Grab:

Federal Bill Seeks First Native American Land Grab in 100 Years

Border Wall on Tohono O’odham Nation Tribal Land:

A Standing Rock on the Border?

A border tribe, and the wall that will divide it

Border Wall Threatens Native American Sovereignty

Trump's Border Wall Could Carve Path Through Native American Lands

Native American Tribe to DHS: Keep your dumb border wall off our land

American Indians fear U.S.-Mexico border wall will destroy ancient culture

Native American Tribe on U.S.-Mexico Border Blocks Trump's National Guard Troops From Its Lands

Lay one brick of the border wall and it will be the last of the Indian Wars, native Americans warn Trump
I knew the water problem was bad and that pipelines do leak a lot, but I hadn't heard about privatizing the reservations or allowing copper mining on tribal land.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Donald is going to try to fix that with the new census.
It's tough to fix a census. The change in demographics will help the Dems, more since with election of several key governors. We need a couple of more governors in 2020.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's tough to fix a census. The change in demographics will help the Dems, more since with election of several key governors. We need a couple of more governors in 2020.
The citizenship question is likely to result in a severe undercount of non-citizens especially with Donald's aggressive approach to arrest and deportation.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
bump

37 so far, with 2 more likely to come in Utah and NM, for a total net of 39
Republicans seem likely to retain the remaining seat in GA

The latest popular vote that I saw was a margin of almost 9 MILLION for the Democrats, an increase of 6 million over 2016.

Upvote 0