Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Chicxulub crater and the Yucatan crater are different names for the same impact structure. .

But if you backtrack you will see that you said just the opposite. I can only go by what is written ad not what is meant.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,873.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
But if you backtrack you will see that you said just the opposite. I can only go by what is written and not what is meant.

No, I didn't; you have misunderstood me.

You said,
Those who hold that the Chixilub impact is the main culprit because it provoked the Deccan volcanic eruptions are not in agreement with those who say that the Yucatan impact is the main culprit which is the mainstream accepted view.

You appear to have thought, incorrectly that the Chicxulub impact and the Yucatan impact were different events, and that the Chicxulub impact was in the same region as the Deccan (India) volcanic eruptions.

I said,
The Chicxulub impact structure is in the Yucatan peninsula. The two impacts are the same event.
I assumed that you knew that the Yucatan peninsula is part of Mexico.

You said,
One is off the coast of India.

I replied,
No, it isn't. Perhaps you are thinking of the Shiva crater.

I also showed you a map to confirm that the Chicxulub crater is in the Yucatan peninsula (Mexico).

I also said,
I was trying to explain that the Chicxulub crater and the Yucatan crater are different names for the same impact structure, and I showed you a map to prove it.

You said,
They can't be part of the same impact structure if they are separated by approx. 12,000 miles.

You seemed to be still under the impression that the Chicxulub impact structure was near to India, even though I had shown you a map to prove that it is in the Yucatan peninsula, in Mexico.

The Chicxulub crater and the Yucatan crater are different names for the same impact structure. It is in Mexico, on the north coast of the Yucatan Peninsula; look at the map in post 216. However, I agree with you that even if the Shiva 'crater', off the west coast of India, is an impact structure, it is unlikely to be related to the Chicxulub crater. Also the Chicxulub impact is not likely to have provoked the Deccan volcanic eruptions.

So what did I write that made you think that the Chicxulub structure and the Yucatan structure were different structures, that they are 12,000 miles apart, and that one of them is off the coast of India?

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,873.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
They can't be part of the same impact structure if they are separated by approx. 12,000 miles.
They are also referred to as possible conflicting theories in the article I posted and in the video.
If you can tell me where the video discusses the Chicxulub (Yucatan, Mexico) impact structure and the impact structure off the coast of India, I will watch that section.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I didn't; you have misunderstood me.

You said,

You appear to have thought, incorrectly that the Chicxulub impact and the Yucatan impact were different events, and that the Chicxulub impact was in the same region as the Deccan (India) volcanic eruptions.

I said,
I assumed that you knew that the Yucatan peninsula is part of Mexico.

You said,

I replied,

I also showed you a map to confirm that the Chicxulub crater is in the Yucatan peninsula (Mexico).

I also said,

You said,

You seemed to be still under the impression that the Chicxulub impact structure was near to India, even though I had shown you a map to prove that it is in the Yucatan peninsula, in Mexico.

So what did I write that made you think that the Chicxulub structure and the Yucatan structure were different structures, that they are 12,000 miles apart, and that one of them is off the coast of India?

If indeed I wrote them as different it must have been a typo since they are clearly the same event. It was the Shiva creater that I was really referimg to.

Suggested link to Shiva Crater
A geological structure exists in the sea floor off the west coast of India that has been suggested as a possible impact crater, in this context called the Shiva crater. It has also been dated at approximately 66 million years ago, potentially matching the Deccan traps. The researchers claiming that this feature is an impact crater suggest that the impact may have been the triggering event for the Deccan Traps as well as contributing to the acceleration of the Indian plate in the early Paleogene.[20] However, the current consensus in the Earth science community is that this feature is unlikely to be an actual impact crater.
Deccan Traps - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because Mt Everest was once the sea floor, it's been pushed up and still rising due to the ongoing movement of the landmass.

View attachment 196848
So they are actually detecting that Mount Everest is rising or are they just assuming that it should be rising?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting!

Giant Mount Everest Is Still Growing And Shaking
By Hill Williams

Mount Everest grows about a half-inch taller each year as the Himalaya Mountains are pushed up by the creeping collision between the Indian and Asian land masses. The resulting Earth strains make the entire region vulnerable to large earthquakes.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900917&slug=1093659

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Rising at half an inch per year means that Mount Everest is growing at a rate of:

1 foot in 24 years.

2 feet in 48 years

4 feet in 96 years

8 feet in 192 years

16 feet in 384 years

32 feet in 768 years

64 feet in 1,536 years

124 feet in 3,072 years

248 feet in 6,144 years

496 feet in 12,288 years

992 feet in 24,576 years

1,984 feet in 49,152 years
-
Of course that is assuming a steady rate of increase.

BTE

It could also mean that the writer misunderstood the scientific terminology or reached a hasty conclusion based on insufficent evidence. :

Giant Mount Everest Is Still Growing And Shaking
By Hill Williams

Mount Everest grows about a half-inch taller each year as the Himalaya Mountains are pushed up by the creeping collision between the Indian and Asian land masses. The resulting Earth strains make the entire region vulnerable to large earthquakes.

To get an idea of which faults pose the most serious seismic threat, scientists next spring will begin using orbiting satellites to measure ground movements. A team from the University of Colorado at Boulder will use the global-positioning system to measure horizontal distances between peaks. Altitudes will be obtained with an extremely accurate gravity meter.

By comparing sets of measurements collected several years apart in the same locations, the researchers hope to learn how quickly the land surface warps under tectonic strains. Scientists calculate that India is pushing against Asia at a rate of about two inches a year.

The work was reported in Science News.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900917&slug=1093659

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So they are actually detecting that Mount Everest is rising or are they just assuming that it should be rising?
.16 inches or 2mm per year and that would vary. Also, mountains erode as they rise. The Rockies are still growing but have also eroded. "The current Rocky Mountains were raised in the Laramide orogeny from between 80 and 55 Ma."

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
And why do we assume that the decay rates are constant over millions of years or that time has been constant.... maybe an astroid hit and changed the rotational rate of the earth .... which would short or length how much time passed in a year (one trip around the sun).

An asteroid hit changing the rotational period of the earth would not have the slightest effect on radiation decay rates.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0