The Day People Will Never Forget, The Darkest Day of 9/11.

montenague

May 18, 2004
Wagga
✟7,658.00
Faith
Catholic
It was very late at night, I was out back with some mates.
As I walked inside to get something to eat I noticed that one of the towers was burning on TV, at first I thought it was just some movie, then at a closer, longer inspection I relised they werent going to cut from this shot......

Running outside in hysterics no one beleived me, then the second plane hit.......

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

cartridge said:
It was a UN action which we agreed to assist in.

Ahh yes the UN, another US puppet, tell me what right did the US have to interfere?

The war was a blatant act of aggression by North Korea

Indeed, but so was the US invasion.

threatened our strategic situation.

Yes America's real reasons, not because of any specific humanitarian reason, but because of petty self interest.

Are you arguing that we should have stepped aside and let a democracy fall to a communist dictatorship?

Since when has it been America's god given task to police the world? Especially considering it ignores hundreds of worse countries, eg Zimbabwe.

That idea of appeasement helped lead to another conflict.

Actually, no appeasement was the policy of addressing just grievances, it did not lead to war it just delayed the war, for a historian of some note you have a simplistic view of the causes of WW2.

So we're wrong when we attack the terrorists in Afghanistan

Yes, and the Taliban are back in control and there are no go areas for the US army, so you killed all those people for nothing, god loves you.

Saddam invades Kuwait to pay his bills it's our fault?

No just invading Iraq and killing over a hundred thousand people was your fault.

No, those were acts of 'political cleansing' by the NVA in South Vietnam which would have happened whether it fell in 1960 or 1975 (IIRC, the site listed it at ~150,000 people).

OK i'm sorry, nock 150,000 off the grand total of 3,000,000 I'm sure it makes you feel better. You can sleep at night now.

only way it wouldn't have occurred was if we'd managed to successfully defend South Vietnam.

Which you didn't.

No, we don't kill people to spread fear and to create a wider conflict;

Well you seem to fail repeatedly.

Some of the bombing (ex. Operation Rolling Thunder) was an attempt to force North Vietnam to the peace table.

By murdering thousands of civilians.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were attempts to end the war and save millions of lives by demonstrating the fact that resistance was futile.

What right do you and America have to judge the value of Human life?

It was you Brits that really went into the whole terror bombing thing in WWII;

But I don't defend it!

As a side note, do you feel the UK should have surrendered to Germany in June 1940, after the fall of France?

No

What does that have to do with what I said? Part of the goal of terrorist activity is to spark a reprisal to gain new recruits and more support. That's why its different. That's why it's so much worse than what the US has done; it's a deliberate attempt to prolong the cycle of violence.

It has everything to do with what you said. If the USA had not invaded people, supported terrorist regimes, dictators and murderers in the past this war would not exist.

jameseb

It must be great to be a patriotic naive fool.

Your logic is so skewed it's laughable...I think the rest of the posters on this board have already disproved your skewed logic, especially regarding the Korean War. If for instance Hitler had invaded Britain and overtook it during WWII, we couldn't have invaded it to get it back?

Upvote 0

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where was I? Taipei, ROC. I flew in on 9/10 (9/9 depatrure from San Jose, CA) I was going to fly home on 9/12.

Didn't get home until 9/19. It was wierd, all flights were running, no delays at all, except for no US bound flights...

Now, American treated me very well, I slept in the Taipei Hilton, and ate for a week on AA. I understand those stuck in the US weren't treated nearly as well. I actually didn't see the images- the ROC didn't allow them to be broadcast, so just hearing and reading about it, I didn't understand just how bad it was. The one trip I left the laptop at home...

Upvote 0

Jacob4Jesus

Dork For Jesus and Proud of It
Sep 18, 2003
Wauconda, IL
✟3,922.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I walked into work and noticed everyone standing up at their cubicles. My radio didn't work, so I hadn't heard anything about it. One of the workers was like "Jake, did you hear what happened?" WHen I said no, she explained it. I didn't believe her until I signed online and went to cnn.com. From there, slowest day ever at work.

Upvote 0

prettyrose436

May 24, 2004
CT
✟1,269.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was at school and heard a rumor going around. When I walked into my Geometry class -- that was the first time i truely knew. my classmates and i saw the 2nd tower fall on the tv and all i could think was oh dear Lord- we are going to be going to war because of this

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Robert43 said:
Where was you at when this happen on 9/11?

I was in an office. Someone came in and said a plane had crashed into the world trade centre. I thought that they were joking. I could not view it on the Internet as all the main news sites had crashed. I finally managed to get an account from the Jerusalem post. I went to a back room where a TV was showing the pictures. I remember staring in numbed silence as the horrible events unfurled. Its one of the events that changes everything. The whole world watched with me and I believe that it was God who had pointed a finger at the planet to this spot in New York and told us to listen and to watch. He said something to us by allowing this to happen and I think we are still trying to unravel what he said. But in the meantime two regimes in Afghanistan and in Iraq that looking on with gloating eyes that day have been removed from power and Islamic fundamentalist Al Quaeda recognised as one of the main threats of the age. Various large corporations have been challenged relating to their ethical standards in the USA and the link between Europe and America has become more strained.

Upvote 0
A

aeroz19

Has it been four years already? I'll never forget. I was at home that day, chatting with a friend from Maryland. He, so close, and I, so far away--sitting at my computer desk in WA state. And yet, it felt like it had happened one city away from me.

My friend in Maryland told me, "Hey, a terrorist attack just happened! Turn on your TV! A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center!"

I was like, "No, you're joking!" I humored him, telling him I'd turn on the TV, but I knew he was joking with me.

I didn't even really know what a terrorist was, nor where the WTC towers were, or what they were. I was 16 when it happened.

I sat at the TV for 30 minutes, unable to move, watching in horor and shock. I cried and trembled in fear. At some point I broke down, sobbing and fearing of what was going to happen next. I felt like I was there, at ground zero. Then the people started jumping off the towers. This was no movie, these were real people! I called my mom at the office. She said, "I know, I know. I heard, too."

I was like, "Are you gonna come home?!" She told me no, she was going to stay at work. She thought a second plane would not hit and that it was over now.

I went back to the TV and watched the live coverage of the second plane crash. I watched the news for hours. Finally, when the news began the re-runs and no new information was coming in, I turned off the TV. I had been alone in the house the entire time. My parents were at work and I can't remember where my sisters were at the time.

I've preserved my thoughts, memories, and feelings on that horrible day in a poem diary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
crystalpc said:
Wow, it has been 4 years this coming Sept! It does seem like it was yesterday, the hurt is still there, the only thing that is missing is the shock of it all.
Emm...is it not 3 years since 9/11?

Anyway, I can remember that at the time I was unemployed and I had been in a job interview in Falkirk (inbetween Glasgow-where I live-and Edinburgh) at the time. My interview was at 1pm, an hour before the first plane hit and lasted for about 90 mins so when I got out everything was unfolding. After the interview I was to drive through to Edinburgh to see my girlfriend (now ex) and when I got in the car I stuck on a tape for a while. When the tape ran out the radio kicked in and that's when I started hearing about all that had happened. I drove for the 40 mins it took to get to edinburgh and when I arrived I watched the TV for the rest of the dad with my ex's Dad. At the time we were being told that there could be upwards of 20000 fatalities. The horror was just unbelievable.

Upvote 0