Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
How many are in a set?

Do you name them?

My cousin raised a very friendly African pygmy tree goat, and my aunt bought two more who were kind of mean; they were named. If anyone went to Disneyland as a kid or teenager in the late 80s or mid 90s, they might have fond memories of Lenny the Sheep.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My cousin raised a very friendly African pygmy tree goat, and my aunt bought two more who were kind of mean; they were named. If anyone went to Disneyland as a kid or teenager in the late 80s or mid 90s, they might have fond memories of Lenny the Sheep.

I've never heard of Lenny the Sheep, that time was way b4 my time, but I like the name! I've never heard of an African pygmy tree goat. That is cool to learn.

I'd have fun naming animals. A neighbour let me name her guide dog. I named her Cecilia bc Cecilia was the patroness of music & also of blindness and the neighbour is a music teacher who is losing her sight. She loves the name. :)

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟456,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've never heard of Lenny the Sheep, that time was way b4 my time, but I like the name! I've never heard of an African pygmy tree goat. That is cool to learn.

I'd have fun naming animals. A neighbour let me name her guide dog. I named her Cecilia bc Cecilia was the patroness of music & also of blindness and the neighbour is a music teacher who is losing her sight. She loves the name. :)

I like that. :)

Btw, I thought all the Methodist churches in Canada were now UCC? In 1900, Toronto was nicknamed “Methodist Rome” however, so if United Church parishioners in Toronto still identify as Methodist despite not being UMC or British Methodist, I would greatly understand.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I like that. :)

Btw, I thought all the Methodist churches in Canada were now UCC? In 1900, Toronto was nicknamed “Methodist Rome” however, so if United Church parishioners in Toronto still identify as Methodist despite not being UMC or British Methodist, I would greatly understand.

Thanks! Yes, that's right! I don't think UCC was an option when I joined here so I picked Methodist bc I was christened at a Methodist church.

I'm an American. We moved to Canada a long time ago but I was born in Chicago.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟20,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there any reason we should not clear out minds? I have heard the argument that "it is open to sinful thoughts", but the point of meditation is to drive away such thoughts, so if you're thinking sinfully, you aren't meditating right.

As someone who has practiced Christian meditation, I can say that there is nothing dark or evil about what I experienced. I would either clear my mind, or focus on a single positive, Christian thought, such as a cool river washing over me as Jesus washed away my stress and fear. Satan gives pleasure, but he cannot give peace.

As for the spiritual aspects associated with meditation, I can see why they would be controversial. I am of the opinion that if they don't directly conflict with the Bible, then they are at the worst harmless fantasies, and may even have truth to them. (I believe that "inner energy" is the body's natural electromagnetic field created by the nervous system, for example, hence why acupuncture works: it alters the electric currents of the nerves. Or something. I'm no expert, but I know a Christian doctor who does acupuncture and could probably explain it better.) I understand if people don't want to get into or believe that part, and that's fine; you're just being careful.

However, the Bible says to meditate on God's word. So all other ideas aside, I think we can all agree that, whether your meditate on His word on your knees or in lotus position, you're doing as he commanded.

Also, keep in mind, just because another religion makes up an idea, doesn't mean every aspect of it is contrary to the Bible. If it was all lies, nobody would believe it, after all.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Ppl who practice yoga do you do it at home on your own or in a studio? I used to go to the park every day to do it in the summer I loved it but now that it's freezing we don't have yoga anymore. We don't have anything at the park except for summer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Ppl who practice yoga do you do it at home on your own or in a studio? I used to go to the park every day to do it in the summer I loved it but now that it's freezing we don't have yoga anymore. We don't have anything at the park except for summer.

I've fallen off the yoga wagon for a while and intend to get back on as one of my 2020 goals, but I have a collection of yoga DVD's that I use and there are also places you can stream various yoga routines on YouTube and other places that I intend to try.

Of course, once you know more about what you are doing, you can make your own routines and just put on some appropriate music and just do your own thing.

I plan to buy myself the Nintendo Switch Ring Fit in the next month or so as a Christmas/Birthday present, and I've heard that it has some sort of yoga on it too.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I plan to buy myself the Nintendo Switch Ring Fit in the next month or so as a Christmas/Birthday present, and I've heard that it has some sort of yoga on it too.

Oh that's a really really good idea! I could do that!

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
St John of the Cross was an advocate of clearing the mind of thoughts and images stating that it is through them that the devil has the greatest possibility of influencing us.

I love to run to clear my mind, we have a treadmill so I can do that even tho it's winter. I need to do yoga more tho.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

As the goats climb up your back
those toe nails can dig in and hurt.
M-Bob

Whoa that is amazing. I hadn't watched the video before I just did. Can your goats do that????????

Ella had goats in her neighbourhood bc she lives up in the mountains & it's impossible for ppl to clear away the stuff that is a fire danger. They brought in a herd of goats! That would be fun to see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yoga stems from Hindu and Buddhist beliefs. It has become a common practice in today's society, even among Christians as a form of stretching and exercise. However, yoga also practices a type of meditation, such as clearing the mind and deep concentration and the power in the body. This is a very dangerous practice. As a Christian, we should never clear our mind. Instead, we should always fill out mind with scripture , the worship of God and prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have a Christian friend who attends all types of yoga classes. She recommended that I try it because my balance is way off because of a car accident years ago when I broke my femor bone. One leg is shorter than the other. Anyway, I decided, by her advice to attend a yoga stretching class to help my balance. It was not at all what I expected. It turns out that each stretching pose stood for something mystical in their belief system. I also was not expecting the meditation after the exercises. It felt very dark . I prayed the whole entire meditation time to God and scripture in the Bible instead of what the instructor wanted us to do.

Recently, I heard of a church advertising ' Christian' yoga classes. How can darkness and light occur at the same time, it can't!!

I wanted to get the word out about this deception and my experience with it and how dangerous it can be. I am very thankful that I have the holy spirit living within me, being a born again Christian and a Christ follower. I am also thankful that I realized right away what it was and was not deceived. I immediately ask God for his forgiveness . I love Him and do not want anything to come between my relationship with Him.

I am posting this to help others through the direction of the holy spirit prompting me.. Thank you and God bless you!

Yoga classes have no place in Christ's Church. That should go without saying, but generally speaking, Evangelicals have little understanding of the holiness of God or the sinfulness of man. They imagine Jesus a laidback suffer dude who is cool with anything and everything — except for "judging".

Upvote 0