Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
also if ultimately we agree that colleges can just choose whomever they want to for any reason then this very much invalidates all those people whining about affirmative action or why their applications were rejected in favour or someone they believe is less qualified.

That depends on whether or not you think private or public institutions should be allowed to discriminate based on race.

I think they shouldn't.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
whilst i understand what you're getting at here and don't necessarily disagree the analogy doesn't quite work. it's not that you are buying a more expensive car but you are trying to buy the same car at market value and someone else is doing so as well and also donating twenty other cars to the dealer in an effort to block your bid from being considered.

Well look at it this way...

Pagani made a certain number of Hueyras...if someone donates 10 million to Pagani to ensure they get one, is that unfair to those who only have 2 million to buy one and beg to get on a list?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's great. Also, not relevant to my point.

Which was?

That's a fair question, too.

Well, there's a lot of factors there....and I think it's no one thing....but it's a complicated issue so few want to have it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah...and they used to stand for freedom of speech. Now they have people punching others in the face over their opinions and students protesting against taking tests.

Perhaps it is...or perhaps the discussion should be why one must struggle so hard to get by without a post-secondary education.

As a general rule, people on the far right, or left of the political spectrum, only cite free speech, when it suits their personal ideology.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Money is free speech and if giving them a bunch of speech results in "Ingratiation and access..." who's to complain?
That's how it's applied in the world of politics. Why should education be any different?

Sad state of affairs. The Supreme Court ruling that money is speech can only have long term harmful consequences to our society that was built upon the ideal of transparency. One only has to look at dysfunctional countries and regions like Greece or Eastern Europe to see how soft bribes make transparency expected in liberal democracies and vibrant capitalism, impossible.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0