Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who told you what "the gospel" is?

You're going to say "the bible," but God didn't drop pages of scripture out of the sky to be collected like manna.

Scripture comes by way of men, men filled with the Holy Spirit who cherished it, copied it, translated it, protected it, and have brought it to you today. And those men were of the Church.
Yes that is true. However Jesus rebuked the scribes many times. Just because someone translates the bible doesn't mean they are good examples for us to follow.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes that is true. However Jesus rebuked the scribes many times. Just because someone translates the bible doesn't mean they are good examples for us to follow.

What you are refusing to acknowledge is that you have been dependent on the Body of Christ for the scripture you have, yet you disdain the Body of Christ as unreliable. And you don't see the cognitive dissonance of your position.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What you are refusing to acknowledge is that you have been dependent on the Body of Christ for the scripture you have, yet you disdain the Body of Christ as unreliable. And you don't see the cognitive dissonance of your position.
No you are incorrect. I dont trust teachers or the church, this is true, but why should i? Many false prophets will deceive many. A time will come when people heap teachers to themselves and turn away from the truth. How to avoid this? My answer is to follow the Teacher (there is only one) and the scriptures, and teach yourself.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I dont trust teachers or the church, this is true, but why should i?
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Thats nice that you find comfort in those words. I find comfort in The Lord Who is in my heart and He teaches and leads me. The Lord is my shepherd Psalms 23

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,575.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And what is your point?

My point is perhaps twofold.

Firstly you said earlier:

Hence he called it the synagogue of satan.

In context I can only assume that the he you are referring to is Jesus and on my reading of the New Testament is not entirely correct.

Secondly the witness of the early Christians and the practice of Jesus himself suggests that he placed a positive value in the assembly of people to hold the presence of God in one way or another central to the life of the community of believers.

Accordingly it might be observed that the Ecclesia (called out or Church) is indeed absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Thats nice that you find comfort in those words. I find comfort in The Lord Who is in my heart and He teaches and leads me. The Lord is my shepherd Psalms 23
Well, he teaches and leads. The question is whether or not you are following.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the church is messy. It is full of broken people. Sinners. Fallible human beings, just like me. We screw up sometimes. Sometimes we may be insensitive. We don't always do our best. Sometimes we get it wrong even when we mean well. But for all of our faults - and they are many - we gather together for common prayer, worship, adoration and praise. We come, thankful for the grace and love of Jesus no matter how little we deserve it.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No you are incorrect. I dont trust teachers or the church, this is true, but why should i? Many false prophets will deceive many. A time will come when people heap teachers to themselves and turn away from the truth. How to avoid this? My answer is to follow the Teacher (there is only one) and the scriptures, and teach yourself.

But it's through those same folks you don't trust that you have a bible.

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi Introverded.

You are right very much about everything you wrote, and you are not alone who have some of these problems. And you also right when you mentioned Paul and his statements concerning the church.

But first I would like to point out to you that under word “church” almost everywhere in the Bible meant a body of people, not necessarily people of any particular church, but the people all around the world who are true Christians.

Very much the same when GOD referred to the people of Israel who are His chosen people, but far not all of them are His, because those who do not follow His Statutes and His Commandments, even if they are straight descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, they are not His.

Same meaning applies to such words as “children of GOD” or “children of Abraham” who can practically be anyone including Gentiles, those who follow and live according to GOD’S principals and ideals, and not necessary those who are genealogically related to Abraham. Paul also covered this subject very well.

Second, do not judge GOD or people according to the acts and behavior of the church, because church in general have been always corrupt almost from its beginning, but judge GOD and true Christians only according to the Bible.

Today church cannot give you anything good for you soul, except their own dogmas, traditions, and doctrines, all which as a rule are not Biblical and contradict the Holy Scripture in all its essence, truth, and righteousness.

Only Bible can give true meaning of life, understanding of GOD, and direct you on the path of being the true Christian, not just in this word, but in thoughts, deeds, and your personal life.

I understand that we are all social creatures and many of us seek some sort of relationship to find some meaningful partnership and friendship with other Christians. But we are also have to be aware of the fact that not all who claim and call themselves as Christians are true Christians, and the church itself not necessary the body who contains Christian worshipers, because many of them pretended to be Christian but are not such as they claim.

So, you can keep looking for true Christian friends in the church, if you can find one, if not, keep looking in other places, even here on this forum, and all over the world. Express yourself as you think will suitable for you in order to find someone or a group of people, with whom you can freely talk and find spiritual link.

Above all, if you really will study Bible in earnest, not just reading it, you will have much more than just some sort of relationship with other Christians, you will have much more, you will feel the presence of GOD near you, because He is the only One Who is able to listen to you, to understand you, to guide you, to help you, and to save you, and no a person in the world, no matter how good he or she can be, cannot do for you that the Lord GOD will do for you if you find Him in your heart. He is the ultimate Friend, Supporter, and Helper in everything in your need and in your life.

Keep looking and keep posting.

GOD bless.

Thank you very much

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it's through those same folks you don't trust that you have a bible.
So? The scribes gave us the OT. Yet They were rebuked by the Lord many times. Just because someone claims to give me a bible doesnt mean i'll follow them. In the end God gets the credit for giving me His word, not man who is fallible and creates many divisions.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
verses saying Jesus rebuked the scribes.

You do know a scribe, Pharisee and Saduacee are different, right?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So? The scribes gave us the OT. Yet They were rebuked by the Lord many times. Just because someone claims to give me a bible doesnt mean i'll follow them. In the end God gets the credit for giving me His word, not man who is fallible and creates many divisions.
What is the definition of the word 'scribe'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A person who writes things, they wrote the bible didnt they?
A scribe is someone who copies something exactly, most often something written.

In Jesus time there was no printing press and so scripture (if someone indeed knew how to read) was made by someone creating an exact copy of an existing text.

The scribe is the one who copied the text and it was a very, very percise and important thing.

Scribe - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A scribe is someone who copies something exactly, most often something written.

In Jesus time there was no printing press and so scripture (if someone indeed knew how to read) was made by someone creating an exact copy of an existing text.

The scribe is the one who copied the text and it was a very, very percise and important thing.

Scribe - Wikipedia
Yes, i know that. And the Lord rebuked them.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A person who writes things, they wrote the bible didnt they?
The Bible was written by many authors. Most of the Old Covenant is in the original language of Hebrew, most of the New Testament written in Greek. There is a bit of Aramaic.

Question: "Who were the authors of the books of the Bible?"

Answer:
Ultimately, above the human authors, the Bible was written by God. Second Timothy 3:16 tells us that the Bible was “breathed out” by God. God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that, while using their own writing styles and personalities, they still recorded exactly what God intended. The Bible was not dictated by God, but it was perfectly guided and entirely inspired by Him.

Humanly speaking, the Bible was written by approximately 40 men of diverse backgrounds over the course of 1500 years. Isaiah was a prophet, Ezra was a priest, Matthew was a tax-collector, John was a fisherman, Paul was a tentmaker, Moses was a shepherd, Luke was a physician. Despite being penned by different authors over 15 centuries, the Bible does not contradict itself and does not contain any errors. The authors all present different perspectives, but they all proclaim the same one true God, and the same one way of salvation—Jesus Christ (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). Few of the books of the Bible specifically name their author. Here are the books of the Bible along with the name of who is most assumed by biblical scholars to be the author, along with the approximate date of authorship:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy = Moses - 1400 B.C.
Joshua = Joshua - 1350 B.C.
Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel = Samuel/Nathan/Gad - 1000 - 900 B.C.
1 Kings, 2 Kings = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.
1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah = Ezra - 450 B.C.
Esther = Mordecai - 400 B.C.
Job = Moses - 1400 B.C.
Psalms = several different authors, mostly David - 1000 - 400 B.C.
Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon = Solomon - 900 B.C.
Isaiah = Isaiah - 700 B.C.
Jeremiah, Lamentations = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.
Ezekiel = Ezekiel - 550 B.C.
Daniel = Daniel - 550 B.C.
Hosea = Hosea - 750 B.C.
Joel = Joel - 850 B.C.
Amos = Amos - 750 B.C.
Obadiah = Obadiah - 600 B.C.
Jonah = Jonah - 700 B.C.
Micah = Micah - 700 B.C.
Nahum = Nahum - 650 B.C.
Habakkuk = Habakkuk - 600 B.C.
Zephaniah = Zephaniah - 650 B.C.
Haggai = Haggai - 520 B.C.
Zechariah = Zechariah - 500 B.C.
Malachi = Malachi - 430 B.C.
Matthew = Matthew - A.D. 55
Mark = John Mark - A.D. 50
Luke = Luke - A.D. 60
John = John - A.D. 90
Acts = Luke - A.D. 65
Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon = Paul - A.D. 50-70
Hebrews = unknown, mostly likely Paul, Luke, Barnabas, or Apollos - A.D. 65
James = James - A.D. 45
1 Peter, 2 Peter = Peter - A.D. 60
1 John, 2 John, 3 John = John - A.D. 90
Jude = Jude - A.D. 60
Revelation = John - A.D. 90

Who were the authors of the books of the Bible?

Upvote 0