Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Church is absolutely unnecessary.

Hi everyone. I'd like to start a debate with regards to the necessity of church worship.

I am of the opinion that aside from enhancing your social life and having a sense of community, a church is absolutely useless. If a church becomes responsible for providing food for the needy and shelter from the homeless, then it's a different story. However, outside of those things, it is absolutely and utterly useless.

Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of Christians, who later became known as "mystics", absolutely rejected church worship and took to worshiping God their own way. This to me is brilliant. God, after all, is a personal God who resides in our hearts. There is no practical use for a church when it comes to salvation and fulfillment. It is nothing but just another business that employs people. All we really need is a Bible and our unwavering faith.

Your thoughts?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The church is the community of people tasked with carrying out the mission of God.

We do that much more effectively when we can work together, drawing on the gifts, personalities, experiences, and so forth, of a diverse range of people, than we can if we are isolated individuals each trying to do our own thing.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together. The Church, capital C, is the Body of Christ. It isn't "necessary," as if "it" is somehow "needed." It already IS, 24/7/365, right on into eternity.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am of the opinion that aside from enhancing your social life and having a sense of community, a church is absolutely useless.
If this is how you define a church, you are right. But Jesus has His people get together to do more than socialize and feel like somebody in a community.

We share with God and one another as His family, while we gather in groups. It is natural for God's children to spend time with one another in pairs and small groups and larger and public groups. This is not just socializing, this is in sharing with God Himself in His love in the Holy Spirit > Romans 5:5. And while we are with one another, it is like putting logs together so there is more fire. And this helps us get stronger in God's love, so then we are more ready to live in love while we are away from one another.

While we are with one another, we help to minister for one another to experience more really and strongly how we can be in God's love and how to relate in love with one another. Then we have been brought to a higher and more mature standard, and we then can pray and seek to stay more real and mature, like this, after we leave our special gatherings.

God has us ministering to one another. God has us able to minister for one another to get more real and right in His Spirit of peace, because it is God's intention that we can help each other in such an important way. But then, after we have been so blessed to more than before, now we need to go out and stay this way so this can spread to people who need Jesus :) Plus . . . while we are away from one another, God proves Himself to us, by keeping us and making us more and more mature and successful against evil and even horrible people and problems in this world; we not only can defeat the evil, but also God through us brings His good, instead. We grow in this, as we go through real problems of this life, then we can bring this to minister to one another when we are back together > 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.

So, we do well to share with one another, but also be able to live in love while we are away from one another. Both are good . . . but how God in His love is proving Himself to us :)

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The church is the community of people tasked with carrying out the mission of God.

We do that much more effectively when we can work together, drawing on the gifts, personalities, experiences, and so forth, of a diverse range of people, than we can if we are isolated individuals each trying to do our own thing.

I agree, but outside of that the church is useless.

Like I said, if a church offers help to the needy, then that's good. But outside of that, the church is nothing more than a dignified social medium. At least more dignified than a nightclub.

If we really wanted to make a difference, we should volunteer or donate to charitable organizations instead of visiting a place to compare clothing.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Like I said, if a church offers help to the needy, then that's good. But outside of that, the church is nothing more than a dignified social medium. At least more dignified than a nightclub.

The mission of God is much more than helping the needy, though. It also exists to proclaim the good news, to teach and nurture believers, to challenge injustice, and work for peace in the world, and so on.

It is much easier to teach and nurture believers in community ("it takes a village" and all that), for example.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

This is like saying a car is good for transporting people on roads, but outside of that, it's useless.

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is like saying a car is good for transporting people on roads, but outside of that, it's useless.

But it's true. What else is there for a car? A social status symbol? A decoration for your garage?

I don't get your point. A car is in fact used as transportation. What else is there? Outside of being a transportation, it's useless.

Maybe there's an exception, such as it becoming your home if you're homeless... But what else is there? Its primary purpose is to transport you.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But it's true. What else is there for a car? A social status symbol? A decoration for your garage?

I don't get your point. A car is in fact used as transportation. What else is there? Outside of being a transportation, it's useless.

Maybe there's an exception, such as it becoming your home if you're homeless... But what else is there? Its primary purpose is to transport you.
Yes, and saying that cars are unnecessary except when they are performing their function is itself useless. So, what you said about the church is no less useless. If your motive is to call the church to action, to be all that it can be and that God ordained it to be, then say that instead. It's a much better way to make your point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of Christians, who later became known as "mystics", absolutely rejected church worship and took to worshiping God their own way. This to me is brilliant. God, after all, is a personal God who resides in our hearts. There is no practical use for a church when it comes to salvation and fulfillment. It is nothing but just another business that employs people. All we really need is a Bible and our unwavering faith.

Your thoughts?
I don't know what "mystics" you're thinking of, but the church is corporate and does things that stray individuals cannot--but which were commanded of us by Christ. The Lord's Supper, for example, cannot be done by yourself at home, although your proposition is, I suspect, just to do without it.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟610,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2:43-47 Life among the Believers
Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.

It seems that Church has been part of God's plan from the beginning. It is possible we have made a bit of a mess of it, however it is part of God's plan, and our best efforts should be directed to getting it right, not ripping it down.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If the Church is unnecessary, then we might as well throw out our Bible, ignore Jesus, and find a new religion. Being a Christian without the Church is like being a fish without water.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know where to start with this. I really don't. I'm certainly not one for spending every waking moment in a church building, but If you've never seen moments in churches where peoples lives have been converted or turned around, then you haven't been really going. Also, where would the new Christians and the 'curious - almost there' people go to learn and grow ?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The local church provides a moral compass for its assembled believers.

Matthew 18:(NASB) ...Discipline and Prayer
15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private;
if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you,
so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every FACT may be confirmed.
17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church;
and if he refuses to listen even to the church,
let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

The "CHURCH" is the life-line to Matthew 28 Great Commission missionaries to the unbelieving world.

2 Corinthians 9(NASB)...spiritual giving
7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion,
for God loves a cheerful giver.
10 Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness;
11 you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God.
12 For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God.
13 Because of the proof given by this ministry,
they will glorify God for your obedience to your confession of the gospel of Christ and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all,
14 while they also, by prayer on your behalf, yearn for you because of the surpassing grace of God in you.
15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometime in the late medieval period, a group of Christians, who later became known as "mystics", absolutely rejected church worship and took to worshiping God their own way.

"In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit." -Judges 17:6

How'd that work out for them?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The "CHURCH" is a vehicle of community worship and prayer and praise.

Matthew 21:13
...“It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer’;...

Psalm 66:4
“All the earth will worship You, And will sing praises to You; THEY will sing praises to Your name.”

Matthew 6:9-13
“Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven,...

Psalm 4:1
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.

Proverbs 15:29
The Lord is far from the wicked, But He hears the prayer of the righteous.

Acts 1:14
These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer,
along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

Acts 2:42
They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Romans 12:12
rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,

Ephesians 6:18
With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

Philippians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known to God.

James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and
pray for one another so that you may be healed.
The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,653.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The most important function of a Church is not the utility in the care it provides for others, but the worship and adoration of God which is the first priority. Christianity is not a charity for charity's sake, it is dedication to God in all things and this is why we gather in Church, to serve him first and foremost. I quite like how Ignatius describes the Church as a strings on a lyre forming an instrument for song:

Ignatius to the Ephesians (4) Hence, it is right for you to concur, as you do, with the name of the bishop. For your priests, who are worthy of the name and worthy of God, like the strings of a lyre, are in harmony with the bishops. Hence it is that in the harmony of your minds and hearts Jesus Christ is hymned. Make of yourselves a choir, so that with one voice and one mind, taking the key-note of God, you may sing in unison with one voice through Jesus Christ to the Father, and He may hear you and recognise you, in your good works, as members of His son. It is good for you, therefore, to be in perfect unity that you may at all times be partakers of God.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Church is absolutely unnecessary.

Hi everyone. I'd like to start a debate with regards to the necessity of church worship.

I am of the opinion that aside from enhancing your social life and having a sense of community, a church is absolutely useless. If a church becomes responsible for providing food for the needy and shelter from the homeless, then it's a different story. However, outside of those things, it is absolutely and utterly useless.

Your thoughts?

I see both sides of the coin ~

Men who have heard, who have confessed, who have been forgiven, who have received, have the Word of God in them, have the Seed of God in them, have a new heart in them, have a restored soul in them, have a new spirit in them, and have Spirit of God in them.

These men are prepared to have a Very personal Spiritual relationship with the Lord, at any time, in any place, with others, with only himself and God.

These men are prepared to served the Lord in the Way of the Lord, that Glorifies God's Great Names.

From the beginning of mankind God has given mankind His Word to hear.
From the beginning of mankind man has been INVITED to come and hear, trust and believe in God.

God laid out the instructions for men to build a place, for men to be INVITED to come and hear, trust and believe in God.

Men have built Tents, Alters, Temples, Churches, for men to be INVITED to come and hear, trust, believe in God and confess and commit their life unto the Lord.

The Word of God, came forth out from Gods mouth in Heaven, to Earth, manifested in the likeness as a man, that men would be INVITED to come (any place, any time) and hear, trust, believe in God and confess and commit their life unto the Lord.

People are still being born everyday, new this world, new to being INVITED, to come (any place, any time).

Churches, Homes, Missionaries, Restaurants, Boats, Trains, Cars, Groceries, Banks, TV, Sports Arenas, Bars, Shelters, Prisons, Jails, Offices, Hiking, Camping, Schools, Online,..

ANY PLACE, ANY TIME, is an opportunity to INVITE an other to hear,
from a man
WHO has been Prepared,
WHO is willing to Serve God to Glorify Gods Great Names.

Churches not necessary? For Sure they are necessary.
They are a Steadfast well known and established Place,
ANY man can go to Hear and Learn about Our Great Lord God Almighty.

While all the other places ARE suitable to Hear and Learn, not all men may have the opportunity to Hear and Learn about Our Great Lord God Almighty, per those Places.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0