The Christian of the Future Will Either Be a Mystic or Cease to Be.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
East Asians have sometimes found Jesus death puzzling to understand as salvific in substitutionary terms.
Substitution understood in terms of satisfaction, or a penal framework is problematic. But substitution can be understood as freeing/ransoming us from the law of karma (sin and death). The Apostle Paul wrote:

Rom 8:2 For the Law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the Law of sin and death.

We pray that God would judge us according to his mercy rather than according to our sins/karma.

This understanding does not contradict the concept of Christus Victor.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John Vervaeke suggests that repeated experiences of states of flow contribute to the propensity to mystical experiences.

Clare Grave's theory of human development posits that future human civilization will be oriented around values rooted in mysticism, rather than rationality, a level of human development he called integral, because it integrates all previous stages of human development. We can see intimations of this in the movement away from postmodernism into metamodernism, though metamodernism hasn't really crystalized yet. Only a small percentage of human beings in the US are operating at a metamodern or integral level, about three percent. About a quarter to a third have postmodern or world-centric values (the Beatles exemplify this in their music), and a sizeable number have traditional or even ego-centered values.

Well, as soon as I have a "mystical" experience, I'll let everyone know ... then I can go all 'meta' on everyone. :dontcare:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe from a Lutheran Scholastic viewpoint, mysticism is "bad", but Lutherans have written about mysticism (Rudolph Otto) and there have been Lutheran mystics (Jakob Boehme, Emmanuel Swedenborg, being the most well-known). But institutional Lutheranism itself has mostly marginalized them.

Howard Thurman was a well-known African-American Baptist theologian and mystic, and he's been generally overlooked. He was influenced by the Quaker theologian, Rufus Jones, and the 17th century writings of the Lutheran mystic, Jakob Boehme. Thurman met with Gandhi and then experienced a vision at the Khyber Pass in northern India, where he was inspired to set up an interfaith, desegregated church in San Francisco. He was influential in the early Civil Rights movement, writing the book, Jesus and the Disinherited. There are still many of his sermons on Youtube.

I like Thurman's religious thought because he sees Jesus' mission as speaking to people who are marginalized, to help them find dignity in a world that denies their personhood. I was reminded that yesterday with the Gospel reading of the woman at the well.

That's interesting. But I've always seen Jesus' mission as more of a 'leveling' endeavor than one merely to affirm the marginalized. Something about Luke 3:4-6 comes to mind ...

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John Vervaeke suggests that repeated experiences of states of flow contribute to the propensity to mystical experiences.
And so I would like to have had more influence from Eastern Orthodox . I think their attention to inner dynamics far outshines the West.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
And so I would like to have had more influence from Eastern Orthodox . I think their attention to inner dynamics far outshines the West.

IMO, it's easy to over-romanticism Orthodoxy's mysticism. It is there, of course, but it's not the only voice.

I actually think wedding western critical and analytic thought with mysticism may be far more fruitful for the average person in our culture. The approach of somebody like Richard Rohr or Cynthia Bourgeault is far more useful and relevant for the average western Christian.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMO, it's easy to over-romanticism Orthodoxy's mysticism. It is there, of course, but it's not the only voice.

I actually think wedding western critical and analytic thought with mysticism may be far more fruitful for the average person in our culture. The approach of somebody like Richard Rohr or Cynthia Bourgeault is far more useful and relevant for the average western Christian.
I think I agree. RR & CB use a contemporary language and can speak to contemporary needs and thus have become rather popular.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That's interesting. But I've always seen Jesus' mission as more of a 'leveling' endeavor than one merely to affirm the marginalized. Something about Luke 3:4-6 comes to mind ...

Reading the theology of James Allison helped me to understand how Jesus' mission to the marginalized is frequently part of the Gospels.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reading the theology of James Allison helped me to understand how Jesus' mission to the marginalized is frequently part of the Gospels.

I'm not sure how anyone can read the Gospels and not come away from them thinking that ministry to the marginalized and the poor is a central part of the Christian mission.

But, we all know there are people out there who darken the halls and pews of churches who instead think a particular sort of politics, favoring either their own little social niche or race, is somehow "what Jesus came to establish."

Last edited:
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0