Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I honestly think this is something to do with each, individual person, rather than being a "Christian" issue. I've never been one to compare myself to others, so I don't compare myself much to other Christians, either. I'm just me.
Same

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To each, their own :)

yep. God made us all different. i think Facebook is for shallowness as well, so people on there may actually have a really deep relationship with God but keping it light on their feeds. that is ok.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yep. God made us all different. i think Facebook is for shallowness as well, so people on there may actually have a really deep relationship with God but keping it light on their feeds. that is ok.
It’s cultural, not that Jesus didn’t die for that as much as religion or politics but everything has it’s place. Personally I come to this forum because I like to discuss scripture.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i actually prefer the shallow posts to the heavy "end odf the world rapture coming soon" posts. i think that is too heavy for where i am in my walk with God. and i cannot stand conspiracy theories, the truther movement, the name it and claim it, the doom and gloom etc....give me something happy and light any day. ours is a joyful faith because we have a hugehope stored up for us in the life to come

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
sorry didnt mean that to be snarky. i jsut feel christianity has got very heavy lately, i know we in difficult times, but where is the emphasis on hope an dhow much God loves us and it is all gonna be ok in the end?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i actually prefer the shallow posts to the heavy "end odf the world rapture coming soon" posts. i think that is too heavy for where i am in my walk with God. and i cannot stand conspiracy theories, the truther movement, the name it and claim it, the doom and gloom etc....give me something happy and light any day. ours is a joyful faith because we have a hugehope stored up for us in the life to come
Best stay clear of the endtime forums then lol. There’s different forums for everyone and some just carve their own.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
sorry didnt mean that to be snarky. i jsut feel christianity has got very heavy lately, i know we in difficult times, but where is the emphasis on hope an dhow much God loves us and it is all gonna be ok in the end?
On the happier forums

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you stop comparing yourself to other Christians?

I definitely commend the on-fire-every-moment sorts of people; I think a faith that burns bright like that is so, so amazing. But it’s hard not to get discouraged when you see people on social media who journal all the time, who read Christian books every week, who have amazing prayer lives, who seem so confident in their relationship with God all the time. I know they’re not perfect, and many of them are genuinely honest about their struggles. Even so, I can’t help but feel guilty. I’m just...not like that. Or I’m in a different place. I know this is a journey, and different people have different-looking walks. It’s so easy to fall into the “I’m not crazy on-fire like them, so I must be lukewarm” mindset.

How do you break free from that?
You are honest and genuine. This is the most important distinction in a Christian walk. Don't let the adversary step in and make you feel less than what God thinks of you. A slow and steady walk with our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth will yield the best fruit in the Body of Christ.
Be blessed and stay healthy!

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I definitely commend the on-fire-every-moment sorts of people; I think a faith that burns bright like that is so, so amazing. But it’s hard not to get discouraged when you see people on social media who journal all the time, who read Christian books every week, who have amazing prayer lives, who seem so confident in their relationship with God all the time. I know they’re not perfect, and many of them are genuinely honest about their struggles. Even so, I can’t help but feel guilty. I’m just...not like that. Or I’m in a different place. I know this is a journey, and different people have different-looking walks. It’s so easy to fall into the “I’m not crazy on-fire like them, so I must be lukewarm” mindset.

The truth is our greatest friend. It may be painful, it may be challenging, but it is also the truth that sets us free. Truth is not a "thing" it is a Person. His name is Jesus. God's standard for behaviour and heart attitude is Lord Jesus. He alone is tried, tested and perfect. I can assure you that even the greatest Christian falls short of that standard.

When I was going through a similar stage (quite normal, I can assure you), I noted certain Christians who were different. They preached messages that somehow seemed alive. I actually wanted to listen rather than doze off. I called them the shining ones. Yes, I was in awe to some extent, but it also stirred me to pray. I wanted to be like them. Whatever they had (I did not know then, I do now) I wanted as well.

One of them was Judson Cornwall, who preached about the difference between God's works and God's ways. That spoke to my heart and I asked God to show me His ways. Over the next 45 years or so, I came to know something of God's ways. I'll let you into a secret. God's ways are not a "thing". God's way is Lord Jesus.

Please do not be intimidated or let the devil put you down. God knows where you are at. He is easy to please but impossible to satisfy, in this life at least. God keeps working to rid us of what is not like His Son. He is pleased with Lord Jesus in us. If you are in Christ, you are a new creation. Ask the Lord to show you what that means in experience, let Lord Jesus life in place of you, learn to walk in the Spirit and you will be fine. Being a Christian is a real leveller. No one knows what it means at first. Those who seek the Lord go far. We have one shot at life in this realm. It sets us up for eternity. It's well worth pursuing eternal things. It's not easy, but God's grace is sufficient. I'm 49 years in the Lord and I still have my learner's plates on. I'll let the Lord take them off!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Having said the above, I do believe that i do serve God in my own way- to me i seem to serve God in ways that are quite practical eg i see a need and God helps me meet it if i can. whereas my sister spends a lot of time at feet of Jesus. now i do believe, in my case, that i need to so more of that- i tend to be more a Martha than a Mary. maybe the key is that my sister spenda a LOT of time with Jesus.

also i sometimes struggle with intimacy with Jesus because i battle a lot of fear and shame yes, my sister and i both went through the same hellish childhood experiences, more or less, and yes, she has her issues too, but for me, trust has been particularly hard, as i tend to be more anxious. and as an adult i put myself ina lot of self destructive situations, so i have had more isn to deal with.

my sister gave her heart to Jesus as a small child. me, i was a small child sitting in sunday school feelijg confused and bitter and believing Jesus hated me because i knew deep down i had a lot of darkness in my soul, a lot f bitterness. my sister was no less wounded but she seemed a more innocent, sunny natured person than me. just a question of personality- i was a stormy intense child form the word go, my sister sensitive too but not as up anjd down as i was. later on as we became teenagers, my sister suffered depression and i believe some post trauma symptoms as well, whereas i ended up with borderline personality disorder, extreme trauma reactions, a lot of acting out behaviour (some of it rooted in sin but at same time more thna that, i feel). she was the good girl who was meek and knew how to toe the line, me i was often timid and fearful but also rigid, moody and restless and bored easily. so yeah, temperamnet may playa part. i do thnk that though we all sin, some of us are easily led more, and i woudl describe mysefl as the one who would easily fall into worng behaviour. i think y sister's faith had a lot to do with the fact that even as a child, she had the fruit of goodness and self control . me, i took longer to get that.
God knows where you are at and what baggage you carry when you first get saved. I was like a feral cat, I did not trust anyone, I kept to myself, I was hypersensitive and totally absorbed in my own problems. Over the last 49 years, God has transformed me. I have not changed myself, God has done the work. I no longer worry about myself, because I see the old me dead and buried. I know that I am a new creation in Christ Jesus. What I was when I was born is irrelevant. It takes time to get to that point.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The truth is our greatest friend. It may be painful, it may be challenging, but it is also the truth that sets us free. Truth is not a "thing" it is a Person. His name is Jesus. God's standard for behaviour and heart attitude is Lord Jesus. He alone is tried, tested and perfect. I can assure you that even the greatest Christian falls short of that standard.

When I was going through a similar stage (quite normal, I can assure you), I noted certain Christians who were different. They preached messages that somehow seemed alive. I actually wanted to listen rather than doze off. I called them the shining ones. Yes, I was in awe to some extent, but it also stirred me to pray. I wanted to be like them. Whatever they had (I did not know then, I do now) I wanted as well.

One of them was Judson Cornwall, who preached about the difference between God's works and God's ways. That spoke to my heart and I asked God to show me His ways. Over the next 45 years or so, I came to know something of God's ways. I'll let you into a secret. God's ways are not a "thing". God's way is Lord Jesus.

Please do not be intimidated or let the devil put you down. God knows where you are at. He is easy to please but impossible to satisfy, in this life at least. God keeps working to rid us of what is not like His Son. He is pleased with Lord Jesus in us. If you are in Christ, you are a new creation. Ask the Lord to show you what that means in experience, let Lord Jesus life in place of you, learn to walk in the Spirit and you will be fine. Being a Christian is a real leveller. No one knows what it means at first. Those who seek the Lord go far. We have one shot at life in this realm. It sets us up for eternity. It's well worth pursuing eternal things. It's not easy, but God's grace is sufficient. I'm 49 years in the Lord and I still have my learner's plates on. I'll let the Lord take them off!

briliant. i found this very reassuring. i hope the OP finds it so also

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I had to take a good hard look at my life to determine where I was in life. I then came to the conclusion that I needed to repent of a lot of things and said to God “it’s all or nothing”. I chose God, Jesus Christ, over everything - even my life and the way I went about it. Ever since then it’s been God first and learning as much about Him as I can and letting no one tell me otherwise who God is outside of His Word.

That is how to become hot or cold. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I find it helpful to remember that those who light their own fires, end up lying down in torment. (Isaiah 50:11)

Burnout really hurts, if all that self effort comes from adrenalyne rush, you're gonna feel it eventually.

Pace yourself, it's a long journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you break free from that?[/QUOTE]

You understand that in Christ or the Church that no one is more important than the other. Christ is the head and we are the body. Every part of the body contributes to its function. No part can survive alone. We have no good in ourselves, it all comes from Christ. We are charged to become like Christ not like other christians. Know whose you are and know what He requires of us. Hint, it is much more than going to church or working in church activities. In fact, in some cases, these are distractions from what God has called us to do. Those in Christ become like Christ and there is no time to compare with others or to attempt to be like others. Be like Christ.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People have different temperaments. The on-fire/lukewarm dichotomy can look like the extrovert/introvert distinction. But, that can't be right, can it? Only extroverts truly love Jesus? I think not. Be kind to yourself. God loves you. So, just do you.
The Scripture on self judging is pertinent here I believe.

1Cor.11 Verses 27 to 31

1. [27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
    [28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
    [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
    [31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

1. 2Cor.13

1. [5] Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Everything begins and ends with a thought ...

Upvote 0