Toronto
✟10,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah Dallas Jenkins got mad at fans for their strong critique of Mary backsliding. He posted a video about it and everything. It's so sad how church people can think sometimes
For real! Some people's expectations are way too high.

Thankfully they did an amazing job covering it all in episode 6. Like wow. Such an emotional scene between Mary and Jesus. Absolutely everyone could relate to that moment when they came to Christ. Probably one of my favorite episodes this season.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For real! Some people's expectations are way too high.

Thankfully they did an amazing job covering it all in episode 6. Like wow. Such an emotional scene between Mary and Jesus. Absolutely everyone could relate to that moment when they came to Christ. Probably one of my favorite episodes this season.

I felt like Mary was quoting me when she said "I have faith in him. I don't have faith in me." Everyone can relate so strongly to her character and journey

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, some fans of this show are scaring me with their ignorance. For last week's episode, some people theorized Mary Magdalene was going to die. Have they read the Bible? She's at the tomb on Resurrections Sunday. As for tonight, people are apparently all like "what? Jesus is being arrested? He doesn't have all of His Disciples yet." They seem to think it's THAT arrest and will lead to the cross. That doesn't make sense for so many reasons. This is revealing some sad things about the viewing audience (parts of it anyway) and their Bible knowledge/critical thinking skills.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally I love the series. My wife and I watch it with our 11 year old, and he loves it as much as anyone. The acting in general is very good, and the guy who plays Jesus I think is spot-on with how I imagine Jesus looked/acted.

Naturally, they have to take a fair amount of artistic license and imagine how many things *might* have happened, as the bible doesn't always supply a lot of details. But they do a good job of it I think. And as long as they don't do anything that contradicts actual scripture or the nature of Jesus, I'm ok with it.

Like the way they portray Matthew as if he's autistic. Makes for an interesting character but completely made up I believe. Or that Nathaniel was an architect - or was he? Not sure on that one.

The only issue I have is that some people may watch it and think "yes, that's the way it must have happened", when in reality it's just one way it *could* have happened. My wife tends to do that...

I do find that some of the joking around the characters do seems out of place. Not because it's inappropriate but because it doesn't seem to quite suit the time or culture. Like Jesus joking then saying "what, too soon?" or quips that only make sense in English.
I like the way the director has added that flesh to the characters with them joking and sqabbling. I think other attempts to portray those times has been very clinical and though it may bethat way to strictly follow scripture it can be just as misleading and discourage real life situations. I am sure there was some of this going on if Jesus was involved. I don't think Jesus would have been so serious all the time.

I actually thought if the Bible could be brought alive like the series then many more people would relate and perhaps go on to read more of the Bible. It puts you there and brings to life the times and struggles they had. Without giving too much away for those who havn't seen all the episodes I liked how it showed the struggles of some of Christs followers (a women to be exact) and how they could relaspe back into their old life but be brought back into the fold. Showed they were human and made things like real life.

I got a deeper insight into Christs ministry in that he set a time for people to know who he really was and to let everyone know about the miracles. I could imagine that there were many prophets and preachers and many were dismissed. So Jesus knew people needed some pretty dramatic proof so that his impact would last and spread. How people reacted to the miracles and knew straight away that it was Christ. How he knew people and brought them to a realization that they were standing before the Christ.

How the disciples didnt know what CHrists purpose was and he kept telling them in time you will understand. That obviously referred to when he was crucified and returned and they became Christlike themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just started watching the series and ended up binge-watching season 1 and season 2.

I really like the series and what I like about it is, it's on a real human level. It not only shows
what people like us going through the spiritual journey struggle with, but what the
Apostles and disciples who were with Jesus went through.

Mary Magdalene's backsliding, how many Christians haven't experienced backsliding ?
Or doubts ? How many haven't experience the dark night of sense ?

Unlike the movie Jesus of Nazareth, the characters in the Chosen are more real.
In Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus and Mary are shown with stoic eyes which don't ever
blink, even when Jesus was Baptized by John, the water cascades down his face
but he doesn't blink, as if this is what being holy must be like.

Not in the Chosen! Jesus and Mary are more real.

Even the miracles were realistic.

I've seen actual miracles including a little five year old girl who
was healed at a healing service when a priest first started his healing ministry
back in the 1970's. It was so natural, few people among the thousands that
were there even saw it. The curiosity seekers didn't see it, but the people of
faith, were drawn to it.

Anyway, it's a great series, I just hope Dallas Jenkins doesn't go off track.

Upvote 0

alkaloid

Apr 13, 2021
Toronto
✟10,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
They have a team of bible scholars that they always consult when writing the scripts, so I'm sure they're going to make sure that he keeps on track. The world is watching and so many people are familiar with the bible, so he knows he's gotta keep things on track. He'll never be able to appeal to every single person, but I'm sure he's doing his best to make sure he gets the best outcome for his vision.

There's a livestream tonight for anyone who's interested @ 8pm EST
-Updates on all things Chosen
-Debut of some new gift items
-Conversation with fan favorite Philip, Yoshi Barrigas
-The details of how to join us on the Season 3 set for the Feeding of the 5,000 scene!
-Debut of our big documentary taking you behind the scenes of the Sermon on the Mount

Upvote 0

SingingTheBlues

May 16, 2021
North Ridgeville
✟9,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, for the record I also posted this in another thread but I'm trying to use a clipbook and everything displays weird and I'm not sure of what I'm doing.

Just saw the Christmas show at the local theater. Because I love the show and wanted to demonstrate my support for it and because I thought I would enjoy it.

First let me say that I loved the actual video. As usual the acting was spectacular and they honored the Bible and brought it to life.

That being said, I have a serious criticism. Dallas started by saying they were going to do something different with the music. They were going to make it real, to make it as real as our faith. They followed that up by spoon feeding us one lip sync'ed, over produced music video after another. Performed by people sporting more jewelery than Mr T. Rings on every finger, ten bracelettes on each wrist, ear rings, nose rings, necklaces, more gold than fort Knox, more tats than leavenworth.

I couldn't see any relationship between these people sporting so much wealth and oppulance and worldliness and our Lord who was born in a Manger. Totally out of sync with the Birth of our Savior.

Painted and shellacked and fake. I hope that isn't a "real" representation of our faith.

• Winner
Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That being said, I have a serious criticism. Dallas started by saying they were going to do something different with the music. They were going to make it real, to make it as real as our faith. They followed that up by spoon feeding us one lip sync'ed, over produced music video after another. Performed by people sporting more jewelery than Mr T. Rings on every finger, ten bracelettes on each wrist, ear rings, nose rings, necklaces, more gold than fort Knox, more tats than leavenworth.

I couldn't see any relationship between these people sporting so much wealth and oppulance and worldliness and our Lord who was born in a Manger. Totally out of sync with the Birth of our Savior.

Painted and shellacked and fake. I hope that isn't a "real" representation of our faith.

I didn't think of it that way at all as I was watching. I think, the artists were just trying to look their best for the video, and some may have different definitions of that. Some of the artists looked fairly plain. Basically, I don't think looking nice and wearing jewelry or anything like that is in any way a remark on someone's faith. We shouldn't think so much about outward appearances.

As for the songs, I thought they were all very well done (except for "Angels We Have Heard on High" and even there my complaint is minor) and paced well to maximize the experience.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts in response to your post. Not trying to say you are wrong or anything, just that there are different ways of looking at it.

Upvote 0

SingingTheBlues

May 16, 2021
North Ridgeville
✟9,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't think of it that way at all as I was watching. I think, the artists were just trying to look their best for the video, and some may have different definitions of that. Some of the artists looked fairly plain. Basically, I don't think looking nice and wearing jewelry or anything like that is in any way a remark on someone's faith. We shouldn't think so much about outward appearances.

As for the songs, I thought they were all very well done (except for "Angels We Have Heard on High" and even there my complaint is minor) and paced well to maximize the experience.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts in response to your post. Not trying to say you are wrong or anything, just that there are different ways of looking at it.

No problem, I appreciate your point of view. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Solum Aeternum

Jun 23, 2020
Bronx
✟16,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My favorite aspect of this series is the portrayal of Jesus. In many media, Jesus is portrayed as robotic, as stoic. The Chosen portrays Jesus as if he was actually a person with emotions. Like you can sit down and talk with him and not feel intimidated. He would crack jokes, he would smile at the same time balancing the fact who he really is. This series is honestly my favorite portrayal of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christopher Pineau

Just A Nerdy Guy Trying To Get Right
Apr 17, 2022
Dallas
✟14,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can only speak for myself, here, and say that my sister really did me a solid in sending me the first season of this series and I've watched both seasons and even gifted my boss with the first season for him to share with his family. She and I had the same troubles with past Biblical content (movies, etc.) in that we thought to ourselves "How can we be anything like these people?! They're on another level than us, they're better than us!" What I think this series has gone a long way towards doing is humanizing the people of these stories and making them relatable, approachable, especially Jesus Himself.

I love how Jonathan Roumie plays him, with the air of grace and dignity tempered with humor; I admire the balance they strike in portraying Him as someone you'd want to follow. The ending of the first episode was like a bomb drop for me in that it came out of nowhere and took me off guard, and the series has consistently done so in a delightful manner with me ever since. (Sue me, I also admit to having a crush on Elizabeth Tabish as well as liking the way she portrays Mary Magdalene) Was Matthew "on the spectrum"? I rather doubt it, but for me it adds an interesting dimension to his character, and if I'm honest? For those who have watched the series, the scene where he breaks it down to Philip why he knows people don't like him is a scene I will be riffing on with my D&D character if ever he has to explain to others why he feels constantly left out and on the outside looking in where humans and human society are concerned. I can absolutely relate to how Matthew feels as someone who has felt that way all his life (being on the outside looking in). Quintus is that villain you love to hate in his smugness, and let's not forget that the Romans were known for their arrogance in those days. In general, I like the acting, and the delivery is not what I'd call overbearing or overblown or pretentious. I really feel a sincerity at work, here, and that's what appeals most to me in this situation.

Let us not forget that in the opening credits of each episode in the first season, there is a prominent statement declaring that liberties have been taken for the sake of storytelling and that one should go to the source for the real story. I like that a lot, because it says to me that Dallas & Co. are not declaring their take on Scripture definitive. They've always made it clear that a lot of what they're depicting falls under the heading of "what might have happened here," and that they are not trying to rewrite Scripture, and I like that as well. For those of you out there upset over his connections to BYU and the LDS folks, well...I have friends who are Mormon and they are some of the best people I know. They're not perfect, they don't think they're better than us somehow, but they're diligent, hard working, down to earth, and witty, as well as educated, and just because they interpret Scripture differently than I do doesn't mean I have anything against them. I think some people need to calm down about that and get to know them better before passing judgment. I don't agree with their take on things, but I don't think less of them for it.

It's also reminding us that Jesus was intensely rebellious; the scene where the Pharisees witness him performing the miracle of the fountain and stand there goggling and thinking "Hey, that's that crazy guy from Nazareth," is great because all he does is just stare back at them in a quietly defiant manner as if to say "Yeah, I'm that guy, and I just did that, what about it," before he walks off. I think this is something we need to remember, that Jesus was not always all about "pray and obey,"; he had his moments where he Laid It Down on the table before the Pharisees and said "Y'all are wrong, and here's why!"

In general, I'm glad I discovered this series and fully intend on supporting it to the end. I wish Dallas & Co. all the luck with this and I hope they can see it through to the end!

Last edited:
Upvote 0