Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm opening a new thread because the original thread we were discussing this on had a different purpose. This is for a more open-ended discussion.

I've watched the end of S2E2 many times now, and still find it moving. For years I thought there had to be more to Jesus seeing Nathaniel under the fig tree, something to do with what Nathaniel had been praying there. I thought it might be along the lines of "Lord, where is our Messiah? Do you not SEE the pain Israel is in?" The Chosen instead made it about Nathaniel's painful personal crisis, but the effect is just as powerful.

I still haven't carefully reviewed S2E3 yet, but I got from the end of E2 that the troop was headed up toward Syria. It occurred to me last night that this might be when Jesus encounters the Syro-Phoenician woman with the demonized daughter. That is one of my favorite scenes from the Bible, and one of the most misunderstood, so I hope TC does it justice. Based on their track record, I have reason to expect they will.

Ping: @tturt @alkaloid @doctorwho29

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
I thought there had to be more to Jesus seeing Nathaniel under the fig tree, something to do with what Nathaniel had been praying there. I thought it might be along the lines of "Lord, where is our Messiah? Do you not SEE the pain Israel is in?" The Chosen instead made it about Nathaniel's painful personal crisis, but the effect is just as powerful.

Swell -- but you are straying into a fantasy La-La-Land. Nathaniel doesn't have a "personal crisis" in the biblical account.

"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar." - Proverbs 30.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Benam

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2017
BC
✟679,602.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Personally I love the series. My wife and I watch it with our 11 year old, and he loves it as much as anyone. The acting in general is very good, and the guy who plays Jesus I think is spot-on with how I imagine Jesus looked/acted.

Naturally, they have to take a fair amount of artistic license and imagine how many things *might* have happened, as the bible doesn't always supply a lot of details. But they do a good job of it I think. And as long as they don't do anything that contradicts actual scripture or the nature of Jesus, I'm ok with it.

Like the way they portray Matthew as if he's autistic. Makes for an interesting character but completely made up I believe. Or that Nathaniel was an architect - or was he? Not sure on that one.

The only issue I have is that some people may watch it and think "yes, that's the way it must have happened", when in reality it's just one way it *could* have happened. My wife tends to do that...

I do find that some of the joking around the characters do seems out of place. Not because it's inappropriate but because it doesn't seem to quite suit the time or culture. Like Jesus joking then saying "what, too soon?" or quips that only make sense in English.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
@Benam that's pretty much how I feel about it. Dallas himself has said his guidelines are that the creative license mustn't violate the letter or spirit of the text, and it must be plausible.

I personally felt the "too soon?" joke was too much considering the heaviness of the moment. But generally I love the way they use lightheartedness to break tension, no better example being a couple of things Jesus says at the meeting with Nathaniel. And Jonathan gets the expressions and inflections just right. I believe this use of humor must have been how it often was with Jesus, because I can't picture the band walking around with a heavy religious demeanor all the time. And indeed, scripture tells us they didn't. Another amazing moment of humor was Jesus' remark about Andrew's dancing at the wedding.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love this series and I think the artistic license is ok because of how respectful they are being. The goal is to help us truly understand that the disciples and the others in the Bible were actual people with hopes, dreams, faults, and struggles. The style of the Gospels gives us glimpses of that but ancient documents just didn't go into that kind of detail thus Dallas and co are making some of it up. However, they are doing their research, they are praying, they are being true to the spirit of the Gospels. From some of Dallas' stories about production, God seems to have put His blessing upon the show.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They can afford to go into detail on the lives of those "chosen" by Jesus because they plan maybe 8 seasons. Times 8 episodes, that gives them some 64 hours to fill. This has never been done before. The longest treatment I know of is Jesus of Nazareth, which is 3 hours.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They can afford to go into detail on the lives of those "chosen" by Jesus because they plan maybe 8 seasons. Times 8 episodes, that gives them some 64 hours to fill. This has never been done before. The longest treatment I know of is Jesus of Nazareth, which is 3 hours.

It's amazing! An entire show dedicated to Jesus and His followers. We had The Bible miniseries a few years back, and that was awesome, but this is a step beyond even that. This is just...wow

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I forgot about that miniseries. But then I didn't watch it. Tried to; couldn't.
It's ok. I like it but it does take some actual liberties with the Biblical narrative. Small things but they are there to keep the story moving. They do admit that though and point people to the Bible

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
it does take some actual liberties with the Biblical narrative.
That's what I found, and I didn't see the changes as necessary or an improvement. I don't see any of that with TC, which is why my spirit is at peace with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,576.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I like the series I truly do. I think I've watched every Jesus movie that's been made....always ask myself who would be the closest one with their mannerisms that played him just right. I've seen movies with a smiley Jesus always seems to be smiley at everything....and some where he's too solemn....you wouldn't think he has any sense of humor.....so what was he like?

I think a perfect mix.

I try to practice the presence of God everyday asking the Lord everything. I think some of you might be shocked to find that the more you practice that surprise, surprise .....God does start answering you on that level. Not in hearing an audio voice but look....things happen and you know that you know God actually did respond. Of course though. He wants to.

So I asked him about this Jesus series. Of course you don't need to believe he answered me as I'll suggest that he did. I asked him Lord what do you think of this Jesus series? I felt him tell me, "Not bad, not bad.....just don't take it too seriously." That is you can see things on there which are debatable that happened. Just don't get so caught up in believing everything you see there took place. And I actually believe God is behind some of these film projects being made. It can get viewers into the real word and a relationship with Jesus. Just don't let it replace your reading and feeding your spirit with the actual gospels and I'm sure the film producer would even agree with me there. They're making those things to influence the culture not to put out a theological perfection. Just know what it is and what it isn't.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like the series I truly do. I think I've watched every Jesus movie that's been made....always ask myself who would be the closest one with their mannerisms that played him just right. I've seen movies with a smiley Jesus always seems to be smiley at everything....and some where he's too solemn....you wouldn't think he has any sense of humor.....so what was he like?

I think a perfect mix.

I try to practice the presence of God everyday asking the Lord everything. I think some of you might be shocked to find that the more you practice that surprise, surprise .....God does start answering you on that level. Not in hearing an audio voice but look....things happen and you know that you know God actually did respond. Of course though. He wants to.

So I asked him about this Jesus series. Of course you don't need to believe he answered me as I'll suggest that he did. I asked him Lord what do you think of this Jesus series? I felt him tell me, "Not bad, not bad.....just don't take it too seriously." That is you can see things on there which are debatable that happened. Just don't get so caught up in believing everything you see there took place. And I actually believe God is behind some of these film projects being made. It can get viewers into the real word and a relationship with Jesus. Just don't let it replace your reading and feeding your spirit with the actual gospels and I'm sure the film producer would even agree with me there. They're making those things to influence the culture not to put out a theological perfection. Just know what it is and what it isn't.

Perfectly said! I think you nailed every point. And I too have felt, or imagined anyway, God answering "little" prayers in similar fashion

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
I love this series and I think the artistic license is ok because of how respectful they are being.

The author has publicly said that the early-on interchange in the series between Nicodemus and Mary Magdalene was incorporated to add diversity -- they needed a female character for balance. They needed diversity to sell the show -- not to help people understand the Bible.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The director Dallas Jenkins' father is Jerry Jenkins who co-authored the Left Behind series.

We love the series and watched it several times also. Also, checked into Scripture too. Know how you see something you haven't noted beforehand. Thrilled at the overall response.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The author has publicly said that the early-on interchange in the series between Nicodemus and Mary Magdalene was incorporated to add diversity -- they needed a female character for balance. They needed diversity to sell the show -- not to help people understand the Bible.

Ok so we have one factor in crafting the story. Also it's not like they made up a character, Mary Magdalene was a very important and loyal follower of Jesus. Also Nicodemus needed to have his journey to John chapter 3. So even if they are making a good story for TV, they are still serving the Gospel well and making use of every detail.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Beside the great pleasure of seeing familiar story lines acted out, with the additional insights that that brings, this series for me helps answer the question, "What was Jesus like to live with?"

Were we to see God in His full glory we would probably burn up, so Jesus had to shed it upon entering our world as a man (Php 2). I believe Jesus did not walk the earth in inherent omniscience and power, but only did so as the post-baptismal Holy Spirit led and empowered Him. With regard to the miracles, He said He could do nothing of Himself, but only did what He saw the Father doing (Jn 5.19). His usual mode of living was to react to circumstances as a man, albeit sinless.

This series helps bring out what that might have looked like. There's no better example of this than the calling of Nathaniel, when there is the heavy moment about witnessing angels descending upon the Son of Man, followed on by a little lightheartedness. It really was precious and humanizes Jesus tremendously.

Paul tells the Corinthians:

Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. -2Cor 5.16​

We have a more intimate knowledge of Him now, through the Holy Spirit. But I find it both instructive and devotional to see the humanity of Christ, and the wisdom of how He dealt with people so gently and wisely, brought out so clearly.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Beside the great pleasure of seeing familiar story lines acted out, with the additional insights that that brings, this series for me helps answer the question, "What was Jesus like to live with?"

Were we to see God in His full glory we would probably burn up, so Jesus had to shed it upon entering our world as a man (Php 2). I believe Jesus did not walk the earth in inherent omniscience and power, but only did so as the post-baptismal Holy Spirit led and empowered Him. With regard to the miracles, He said He could do nothing of Himself, but only did what He saw the Father doing (Jn 5.19). His usual mode of living was to react to circumstances as a man, albeit sinless.

This series helps bring out what that might have looked like. There's no better example of this than the calling of Nathaniel, when there is the heavy moment about witnessing angels descending upon the Son of Man, followed on by a little lightheartedness. It really was precious and humanizes Jesus tremendously.

Paul tells the Corinthians:

Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. -2Cor 5.16​

We have a more intimate knowledge of Him now, through the Holy Spirit. But I find it both instructive and devotional to see the humanity of Christ, and the wisdom of how He dealt with people so gently and wisely, brought out so clearly.

Very well said! The Chosen is making me consider things as I never have before, about both Jesus and the Disciples. I knew Jesus gave up a lot of his "omni's" while on Earth but this really presents it. Some things seem to be genuine surprises which is very human. Human yet sinless. It's very nice food for thought

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For sure, The Chosen has incredible acting that is helpful for people wanting to understand the Bible narrative. However, given that the BYU film set is being used for Season 2 and that BYUtv is also involved, I am no longer following. If you are concerned about production and broadcast cooperation with BYU and BYUtv, respectively, consider this link:

what is the connection between the chosen and byu - Google Search

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For sure, The Chosen has incredible acting that is helpful for people wanting to understand the Bible narrative. However, given that the BYU film set is being used for Season 2 and that BYUtv is also involved, I am no longer following. If you are concerned about production and broadcast cooperation with BYU and BYUtv, respectively, consider this link:

what is the connection between the chosen and byu - Google Search
And working with them could be a evangelism opportunity. It would be a chance for God to draw people to Truth. I'm still watching and supporting

Upvote 0