Put on the full armor of God
Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bcmon is there a section on this forum that is devoted to Bible study.

This secton is called devotionals and I might be on the wrong section.

I am new here and have no wish to annoy the moderators.

I am new to CF as well, I've only been here a few months.
This particular forum is dedicated to reading a chapter of the Bible a day and commenting on it.
All comments are welcome so long as they abide by Christian Forum's (CF) rules. To read the rules: http://www.christianforums.com/rules/#faq_rule_0
I hope this answers your questions.

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I am new to CF as well, I've only been here a few months.
This particular forum is dedicated to reading a chapter of the Bible a day and commenting on it.
All comments are welcome so long as they abide by Christian Forum's (CF) rules. To read the rules: http://www.christianforums.com/rules/#faq_rule_0
I hope this answers your questions.

It seems that I am in the wrong place for Bible study. bcmom thank you for your comment. I joined this forum because I wanted to study the Bible in a warm friendly environment.

Theology/Christian Scriptures/Exposition and Bible Study.

This is the place for Bible study but it is very hard to find.
I have started a study of Luke's Gospel in the Bible study section.

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 22 verse 22

If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

Deuteronomy 22 verse 22

This is a very interesting chapter. But perhaps not suitable for discussion in mixed company. Chapter 22 gives out all the punishments for promiscuous behaviour, involving both single and married people. Needless to say the rules are very strict regarding promiscuous acts. Many of the punishments involve the death penalty for one, and sometimes both the parties to these very serious acts of indiscretion.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

this verse really caught my eye, vs 9:

Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.

It reminds of the GMO's

and these verses.....well i don't think the punishment is enough for the horror this man put this woman through, when she was at risk of being stoned to death for his false accusation.....what an odious and treacherous thing for him to do:

13 If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her,

14 And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid:

15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:

16 And the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her;

17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city.

18 And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him;

19 And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days.

commentary is soooooo helpful in explaining the wonderfulness and fairness and equity of God regarding matters of finding someone's livestock and not keeping them for one's self....and even for being kind and compassionate for the birds.....it helped also in explaining the "virginity" thing more with a husband and wife, but the penalty still is not enough for this odious man who falsely accuses this woman and he fully knows she could be stoned to death....

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 22

14 And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid:

15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:

16 And the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her;

17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city.

Deuteronomy 22 verses 14 - 17

My Mother used to comment on these verses and say that the parents of the bride had to keep the marriage night clothes and the bed sheets to show that the daughter was a virgin on her wedding night.

My Mother felt it would be most embarrassing for a young girl to have to show soiled sheets and night clothes to all the elders of the church.

My Mother was right but of little concern when the alternative is being stoned to death for not being a maid on her wedding night.

Upvote 0

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 22

Deuteronomy 22 verses 14 - 17

My Mother used to comment on these verses and say that the parents of the bride had to keep the marriage night clothes and the bed sheets to show that the daughter was a virgin on her wedding night.

My Mother felt it would be most embarrassing for a young girl to have to show soiled sheets and night clothes to all the elders of the church.

My Mother was right but of little concern when the alternative is being stoned to death for not being a maid on her wedding night.

True a little embarrassment varies death, I'd suffer the embarrassment before death. But I would wonder of the man I'd married who'd ask me to endure such embarrassment. I know women were thought of differently in Biblical times therefore they thought differently of themselves so perhaps having your wedding sheets out on display would not have embarrassed a maiden because she knew it only defended her honour. We really can't know how someone thought thousands of years ago.

Upvote 0

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this verse really caught my eye, vs 9:

Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.

It reminds of the GMO's

and these verses.....well i don't think the punishment is enough for the horror this man put this woman through, when she was at risk of being stoned to death for his false accusation.....what an odious and treacherous thing for him to do:

13 If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her,

18 And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him;

19 And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days.

commentary is soooooo helpful in explaining the wonderfulness and fairness and equity of God regarding matters of finding someone's livestock and not keeping them for one's self....and even for being kind and compassionate for the birds.....it helped also in explaining the "virginity" thing more with a husband and wife, but the penalty still is not enough for this odious man who falsely accuses this woman and he fully knows she could be stoned to death....

I agree

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Deuteronomy 22:

Honestly, what bothers me about this whole showing-the-bloody-sheets-to-the-town thing is that some women don't bleed much when they loose their virginity... I have to wonder if any innocent women were stoned.

Also, another thing that stood out to me is that a woman isn't supposed to wear a man's clothing and a man isn't supposed to wear a woman's clothing... that's interesting to me, in light of modern culture. I, personally, wear men's clothes a lot because they fit me better (I'm 6'1) but I never wear anything where I could be mistaken for a man... how do you guys interpret that verse, and I wonder how seriously did the Israelites interpret it?

And to answer the discussion of where this thread belongs: I said in one of my first posts that I wasn't sure where the thread belonged, and asked the mods to move it IF it was in the wrong place. We're at 99 pages and it still hasn't been moved, so I think it's in the right spot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Deuteronomy 22:

Honestly, what bothers me about this whole showing-the-bloody-sheets-to-the-town thing is that some women don't bleed much when they loose their virginity... I have to wonder if any innocent women were stoned.

Also, another thing that stood out to me is that a woman isn't supposed to wear a man's clothing and a man isn't supposed to wear a woman's clothing... that's interesting to me, in light of modern culture. I, personally, wear men's clothes a lot because they fit me better (I'm 6'1) but I never wear anything where I could be mistaken for a man... how do you guys interpret that verse, and I wonder how seriously did the Israelites interpret it?

And to answer the discussion of where this thread belongs: I said in one of my first posts that I wasn't sure where the thread belonged, and asked the mods to move it IF it was in the wrong place. We're at 99 pages and it still hasn't been moved, so I think it's in the right spot.

These are the exact thoughts i had about the blood, etc. And that's why it's such an onerous thing for this man to do, to put her through all of that, leaving the burden on her to "prove" she was a virgin, and if she had no "evidence" she was gonna be stoned, ugh! For a man to do such a thing, leaves this woman vulnerable to misinterpretation and all kinds of horror. There should be more of a penalty for him, because her very life was at stake. His never was.

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah. And I'm thinking I'd want my new husband to be gentle with me, not trying to make sure I bleed enough.

That's the other problem that a lot of these ancient laws had, is that it wasn't really fair for the women... still that way in some Islamic countries, but it seems like they set it up where women could be killed for premarital sex but guys would get away with it.

That's unfair... but then again, in a way I don't want to say "unfair" because here it is showing up in the Bible, and the OT is God's law...

So, can God's law in the Old Testament be "unfair?" Because God is just.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think of Mary (Jesus' mother) and her betrothed Joseph...he was a dear dear man...when he found out his betrothed was with child, he did something unusual...he protected her and discreetly kept her from being an object of scorn or bringing any of this to the attention of anyone......he KEPT her under his "cloak of protection", so to speak and kept her safe from harm...he was a good man and loved her very much.....

He is an example of a gracious man with a woman he loves and such a contrast to an odious man who would do something so evil as to falsely accuse his betrothed....in essence he was "cursing" her and BEING a "curse" (her worst nightmare) to her.

Upvote 0

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are the exact thoughts i had about the blood, etc. And that's why it's such an onerous thing for this man to do, to put her through all of that, leaving the burden on her to "prove" she was a virgin, and if she had no "evidence" she was gonna be stoned, ugh! For a man to do such a thing, leaves this woman vulnerable to misinterpretation and all kinds of horror. There should be more of a penalty for him, because her very life was at stake. His never was.

I wear men's tops myself because they fit better than women' but it's still clear I'm a woman. I read this scripture as wearing the opposite sexes clothing with the intent if looking like that gender. We have unisex clothing now. There was no unisex clothing in Biblical times. Does anyone know exactly what Isreal men and women would have worn?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The commentary was very helpful for me this chapter. It explained congregation of Israel likely referred to a political body rather than the church/temple itself. God wasn't prohibiting anyone from attending church/ temple; Rather He was saying they couldn't be part of the political body.
What also caught my attention is the provisions God has made to help the poor. It's seen throughout Deuteronomy but here's a few examples from this chapter:
Det23:19 Do not charge a fellow Israelite interest, whether on money or food or anything else that may earn interest.

Det23:24 If you enter your neighbor’s vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket. 25 If you enter your neighbor’s grainfield, you may pick kernels with your hands, but you must not put a sickle to their standing grain.

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 22:

All women are made differently. Some will produce blood while some wont. I read that in certain cultures women shapened a fingernail to scratch their thigh to be sure of some blood on the sheets.

Not all women produce enough blood to soil the bedding. These women risk being accused of not being maids. Some of these women would have been stoned to death, that is almost certain.

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 23 verse 19

Thou shalt not lend usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of anything that is lent upon usury: unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury.

Deuteronomy 23 verse 19

The Jews are well known for being good with money. Maybe their tallent for banking dates back to this verse.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.