✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello, my name is Grace.
I saw this group on CF Bible Study: We read the whole Bible together and discuss it! I think this is a really good idea. Unfortunately, the group seems dead. I don’t see any Bible reading or discussion for a year, and many members seem inactive. I would like to revive that idea!

So, I am starting a thread for this, in hopes that it will attract more discussion and attention. I am planning to start February 16th, 2014. The idea is to read the whole Bible a chapter a day. I am asking those of you who contribute to please make an effort to stick to it. I welcome all input, and understand that schedules are busy and people will miss days, but it would be very nice to have some people do this every day and comment on each reading. I will try to post where we are at the top of the thread each day or two, so that latecomers know where we are.
Will you do this with me?
Thank you and God bless,
Grace

EDIT: It occurs to me that we havea time zone issue. Let's use GMT (English time) as our reference. So, if you're in the US and just online in the evening, give feedback on the next days reading before bed. If you're in Australia, don't start the next day at midnight. Wait till morning!

Update: This is going great! Yes, late-comers are invited. Please post your thoughts on today's chapter!

Last edited:

billypayton

† Brother of Jesus
Site Supporter
May 15, 2010
NC
✟28,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, my name is Grace.
I saw this group on CF Bible Study: We read the whole Bible together and discuss it! I think this is a really good idea. Unfortunately, the group seems dead. I don’t see any Bible reading or discussion for a year, and many members seem inactive. I would like to revive that idea!

So, I am starting a thread for this, in hopes that it will attract more discussion and attention. I am planning to start February 16th, 2014. The idea is to read the whole Bible a chapter a day. I am asking those of you who contribute to please make an effort to stick to it. I welcome all input, and understand that schedules are busy and people will miss days, but it would be very nice to have some people do this every day and comment on each reading. I will try to post where we are at the top of the thread each day or two, so that latecomers know where we are.
Will you do this with me?
Thank you and God bless,
Grace Ryan

Subscribe to the thread now! We will start with Genesis 1 on Sunday, February 16th

Grace,
I promise to do my best everyday, just to let you know, the Lord can an will at anytime put something on my heart, and I must obey because it is his will. :amen:

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

emilie mayer

Jun 22, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read this chapter this morning. As i read the chapter i was picturing each day and how things were created. God is so good and powerful. The thought crossed my mind I WONDER HOW GOD GOT THE NAMES OF EVERYTHING. like for instance land, i wonder what made God use that name for land. I find it interesting. Its fascinating.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's an interesting chapter. Very poetic in structure. It reminds me of a litany where one voice speaks the changing material and another (or group of others) reply with the repeated part. Thus we'd have:
Cantor: In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss, while a mighty wind swept over the waters. Then God said, Let there be light, and there was light. God saw how good the light was. God then separated the light from the darkness. God called the light day, and the darkness he called night.
Response: Thus evening came, and morning followed--the first day.

Cantor: Then God said, Let there be a dome in the middle of the waters, to separate one body of water from the other. And so it happened: God made the dome, and it separated the water above the dome from the water below it. God called the dome the sky.
Response: Evening came, and morning followed--the second day.

etc...
Thus a litany of creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I read this chapter this morning. As i read the chapter i was picturing each day and how things were created. God is so good and powerful. The thought crossed my mind I WONDER HOW GOD GOT THE NAMES OF EVERYTHING. like for instance land, i wonder what made God use that name for land. I find it interesting. Its fascinating.
That raises an interesting question. I've always been told that Adam named the animals, so did God name the sea? And God named Adam and Eve.

And to add another dimension, God may have names for everything in His own language that we don't understand. Wow. And it isn't easy for me to comprehend the idea that God understands all the languages on earth. He's amazing!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In verses 16 and 17:

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

it appears that He put the sun, the moon, and the stars in place for the benefit of the earth, specifically....almost as if at the time of creation, the "earth" was the "apple of His eye".....

It indicates that the earth was a very special place to God, as He made the earth first, and then the sun and the moon and the stars secondarily, and all for the purpose of benefiting and blessing the earth......so for instance even if the earth revolves around the sun, the sun in actuality revolves around the earth at least in importance.....

never noticed that before...

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've noticed that about the Bible! I can read a passage for the 30th time and see something I never noticed before! Like what MoreCoffee was saying about the poetic responses feeling, I never noticed that but he's right!

I really enjoy imagining creation. Just imagining that everything is dark and "nothing," then all the stars come bursting out in a wave of colors. It really fills me with awe!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
me too! And i never thought of the book of Genesis as "poetic".....maybe that's what is so beautiful about it.....i find the more slowly i read it the more i notice things i never noticed before....

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

I am always touched by the fact that at this point, it is God who speaks the worlds into existence and how important words are…. our words impact us, our surroundings, other people, our family and co-workers. Its a great idea to think we are not effected by what we hear but it is actually the way everything begins….

I find myself often telling people the Lord who spoke the world into existence is speaking still today….

I think of the Big Bang Theory of evolution and think yes, it was a BIG BANG…. GOD SPOKE !!! those waves of sound are still proceeding and the universe is still growing, much to the surprise of many scientists

God bless, andrea

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oops, I think we we're supposed to do chapter 2 today but I have been offline all day! Maybe we beds to just call chapter 2 tomorrow (Feb 18th.)

Andrea has a good point. I will use that idea later :)

I am excited about the idea too, brinny. I haven't read the while Bible either, but if I had I'd still read it again!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.