Put on the full armor of God
Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking at Chapter 18....verse 2, this is PHENOMENAL!!!!! God says that the Levites have no inheritance with their brethren, for HE is their inheritance. That's deeeep.

Now on to chapter 19...

verse 8 really caught my eye...it reminds me of what Jabez prayed for:

Deuteronomy 19:8 -"And if the Lord thy God enlarge thy coast, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, and give thee all the land which he promised to give unto thy fathers;"

I Chronicles 4:10 -" And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, If thou wilt bless me indeed, and enlarge my coasts, and if thine hand be with me, and thou wilt cause me to
be delivered from evil, that I be not hurt. And God granted the thing that he
asked."

Thank you for the commentary on chapter 19.....God really was just, wasn't He. He provided sure safety so that an innocent person would not be unjustly convicted of something he never intended to cause, like an accident..yet God did not provide a hiding place or a place of refuge for someone guilty of murder who fully intended to commit it.

So true, what a just and fair God we have! I like that he provided safe haven for those who had accidentally killed someone but yet put out those guilty of murder. Also note that He required not one but at least two or three eye witness testimony to convict someone and that, in the execution, they were literally required to cast the first stone. As David points out, this sheds on light when Jesus said "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 We all know the only one from sin was Jesus Himself and therefore the only one with the right to cast a stone.
But I didn't know that it was the custom of the person who bore witness to a person's guilt to cast the first stone. It's more clear to me now that what Jesus was saying and why.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So true, what a just and fair God we have! I like that he provided safe haven for those who had accidentally killed someone but yet put out those guilty of murder. Also note that He required not one but at least two or three eye witness testimony to convict someone and that, in the execution, they were literally required to cast the first stone. As David points out, this sheds on light when Jesus said "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 We all know the only one from sin was Jesus Himself and therefore the only one with the right to cast a stone.
But I didn't know that it was the custom of the person who bore witness to a person's guilt to cast the first stone. It's more clear to me now that what Jesus was saying and why.

yes, i never thought of that, that the very one who witnessed was the first to cast a stone....and then how it fits right in with what Jesus said.....

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thank you for the commentary on Chapter 20.......as i was reading it i was picturing how it must've seemed to those mighty and powerful nations, that a tiny nation would defeat so many, and it was sooooo OBVIOUS that it was their GOD WHO defended, protected and went before them to defeat their enemies...what a testimony that was! God was telling them, in essence to just "be still and KNOW that He IS God" literally, even tho' they were to go forth, He had ALREADY arranged their defeat and all they were doing was walking into sure victory...they just didn't know it yet....so they had to just TRUST Him and GO.

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteromy 20 1-20 made me think of the parable of the wise and the foolish builders in Matthew 7 24-27. God was laying down a good foundation for army of Israel so that it could stand against any storm.

bcmom your words are wise. The secret of success is always having good foundations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

bcmon Deuteronomy 19 talks about three cities of refuge where innocent people could take refuge from angry relatives of a person accidentally killed. This shows Gods wonderful desire for justice.

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy Chapter 20 verse 1

When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more that thou, be not afraid of them: for the Lord thy God is with thee, which brought the up out of the land of Egypt.

Deuteronomy Chapter 20 verse 1

This verse was written for the soldier. God promises to be on the side of the Israelites when they meet enemies in battle. One of the greatest battles was the Battle of Jericho. The Israelite army led by Joshua destroyed the mighty city of Jericho, because the Israelites followed the word of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, thanks for the commentary for chapter 21..it's ENORMOUSLY helpful....i never thought of "murder-polluted" land.....reminds me of when God told Cain that his brother's blood was crying out to Him from the ground:

"And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground." ~4:10

interesting also is the one who is condemned and hung on the tree and that the one hanging on the tree is accursed of God, and how this parallels with Jesus' death on a "tree" and being accursed of God....

makes ya' really think about and be sooooo inexplicably thankful for His mercy...

Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 21 verse 10

When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord has delivered then into thine hands, and has taken them captive, and seest amoung the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;

then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shall shave her head, and pare her nails; and she shall put the rainment of her captivity from off her.

Deuteronomy 21 verse 10

Captive women should be treated decenty. The next few verses deal with how to divorce a captive woman if things dont work out. For example she must not be sold as a slave. Thou shalt let her go whither she will it says in verse 14.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.