Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I read this article and while it's not related to today's chapter, it is related to Genesis 27.. I wish it found it sooner.. Anyway, here it is...

D"Why is the birthright so emphasized in the Bible? By S. Michael Houdmann

The birthright is emphasized in the Bible because it honored the rights or privileges of the family's firstborn son. After the father died, or in the father's absence, the firstborn son assumed the father's authority and responsibilities. However, the Bible also shows that the father could rescind the birthright and pass it on to a younger son. A good example of this is the case of Jacob and his twelve sons. Reuben was the eldest, but the birthright was given to Joseph's sons. Even then, Jacob blessed the younger son, Ephraim, above the elder, Manasseh (Genesis 37:19-22; Genesis 49:1-4; Genesis 49:22-26).

In addition to assuming the leadership role in the family, the recipient of the birthright inherited twice that received by the other sons. In cases where a husband might have more than one wife, the birthright always went to the firstborn son of the father and could not be awarded to the son of a favorite wife without proper justification (Deuteronomy 21:15-17) or if the firstborn son's mother was a concubine or a slave (Genesis 21:9-13; Judges 11:1-2).

The birthright of a king's firstborn son included his succession to the throne (2 Chronicles 21:1-3). King Rehoboam of Judah violated this tradition by passing the birthright to Abijah, his favorite son. However, to avoid trouble with the older sons, the king paid them off (2 Chronicles 11:18-23).

As New Testament Christians, we have an inherited "birthright" status through Jesus Christ as the firstborn Son of God (Romans 8:29; Colossians 1:15; Revelation 1:5). As God's only begotten Son, Jesus received the kingdom from His Father and is Lord of all (Acts 2:36; Philippians 2:9-11; Revelation 19:16). Christ promises to share with us His kingdom and inheritance (Romans 4:13; Galatians 3:29; Ephesians 1:18; Hebrews 11:16).

Christians are warned not to imitate Esau who, on impulse, gave away his birthright for a bowl of stew (Hebrews 12:16-17; Genesis 25:19-34). Because of his foolishness, Esau lost his birthright and the blessings of his father (Genesis 27). The lesson for us is to respect what is holy. We should never throw away what is important, godly, or honorable for the sake of temporary pleasure.

Our focus is to remain on Jesus, the appointed heir of all things (Hebrews 1:2; Psalm 2:7-8; Matthew 28:18). And we, through His grace and our faith in Him, are counted as joint heirs (Romans 8:17; Galatians 3:29; Titus 3:7)."

Wow! THis is sooooo insightful. I was wondering about the same things. This puts it all in to very clear perspective. And it's amazing how it ties into Jesus and His inheritance and how it effects us, and yes we are to embrace and honor it and Him. It's a beautiful summary.

Upvote 0

bcmom

Put on the full armor of God
Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow! THis is sooooo insightful. I was wondering about the same things. This puts it all in to very clear perspective. And it's amazing how it ties into Jesus and His inheritance and how it effects us, and yes we are to embrace and honor it and Him. It's a beautiful summary.

I like this writer; I've read a number of his articles and they are all insightful, thought provoking and, above all else, well grounded in scripture.
Most times when we read a chapter, I look for articles and commentaries related to that chapter. If you find it useful, I'll continue to share them. I honestly don't know when I'm being a help by sharing or just a pest.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Please continue sharing them......honestly, i don't have a clue about soooo many of the books of the Bible, especially the old testament...i would wonder why God took some things so seriously that He would just kill someone, etc.

Thank you for posting them.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2013
Oldham
✟7,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeh I like being able to read the interpretations and its really helpful when you post them rather than having to go look :] so thank you
I really like knowing what dreams mean I wish I could understand what I was dreaming about and whether God still reveals the future in dreams...

Upvote 0

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeh I like being able to read the interpretations and its really helpful when you post them rather than having to go look :] so thank you
I really like knowing what dreams mean I wish I could understand what I was dreaming about and whether God still reveals the future in dreams...

God is constant so I would yes He does still reveal the future through dreams but, as in biblical times, only to certain people and in a biblically correct way.
A very wise person once told me that the best way to know if something is of God or not is to look who gets the glory... God will only bring glory to Himself... Look at Joseph for example, he says it's not him that can interupt dreams but rather God therefor God got the glory. Now if Joseph had said that he was interrupting the dreams, then God wouldn't get the glory so it wouldn't have been of God.. Make sence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy P

Love me or Hate me, You'll never forget me...
Apr 20, 2013
The Hearts of My Loved Ones
✟138,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, FINALLY we see what God had in mind for Joseph...his brothers didn't sell him, they were doing just as God intended...and good thing...for if God hadn't done this, what would have become of Egypt...

But wait, there's more to this story....Joseph is about to, how shall we say, 'Face' the ones that dogged him out...lol...

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
One thing that stood out to me about this chapter is about Joseph being filled by the Holy Spirit. (Vs. 38) This stood out to me... that it happened before Christ, and it doesn't seem like it was the result of some conversion experience Joseph had, and he wasn't really baptized. It just stands out to me that God picked Joseph and filled him with the spirit of God.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One thing that stood out to me about this chapter is about Joseph being filled by the Holy Spirit. (Vs. 38) This stood out to me... that it happened before Christ, and it doesn't seem like it was the result of some conversion experience Joseph had, and he wasn't really baptized. It just stands out to me that God picked Joseph and filled him with the spirit of God.

That stood out for me too.....and it seems God may have done that a few other times with men of God, like Elijah and Enoch, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder Gracie, if the Spirit can fill a person in order to bring them to God as well? Like, a person that is non saved, if God has a purpose for them, then the Spirit can fill them?

IMO, scripture would suggest there is Holy Spirit is calling ALL of who are to be children of God even before we are born.
Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” ESV
Psalm 139:16
"Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." ESV
Again, IMO, I think there is a measure of Holy Spirit in those who are to be children of God but I don't have scripture to back up this opinion it is just that.

Off topic.. Nice to see ya Grace :)

Upvote 0

bcmom

Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just thought I'd add this is one of my favourite Bible stories--and musicals too!! Reading today's chapter made me think of Pharoah dressed as Elvis singing those dreams. I would post a link but I need another 10 posts before I can have that sort of fun :(

Sounds like it would have been cool. When you have another 10 posts, then post it :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.