The Bible & Science on a Spherical Earth (Flat Earth Refuted)

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,197,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to say this again. The Bible says there are directions like North, South, East, and West (See Genesis 28:14). Yet, on a flat Earth there is no true North, South, East, or West. They want us to believe that our compasses are lying when they lead us North, South, West, and East. See, the center of a flat disk is not North. There is no North on a flat disc. It's like a pizza with a nitrogen dipped ice crust on a rotating plate. Where is North on spinning plate of pizza? Yet, with a globe that has a magnetic field with clearly distinguished marker points (i.e. the magnetic poles), you can have a true North, and a true South.

Last edited:
Reactions: NobleMouse
Upvote 0

BradB

Jan 14, 2013
✟22,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
9. Why do we have tons of photographs and videos from space and yet we do not have any photographs or videos of the drop off points of the Earth?
10. If NASA was in on some cover up conspiracy to hide the truth of a Flat Earth from us, then why did Lighthouse builders design their lighthouses with the curvature of the Earth in mind long before NASA existed?
11. People have video recorded a 24 hour sunlight day in Antarctica (See video below); How can you have a 24 hour day full of sunlight on a flat earth?

92c7dbb02ab9bff27bca31c55a986659.gif

Very excellent points. I especially like the one about the 24 your sun shine in Antarctica. I was trying to bring up points in which they could see for themselves without flying into space, and they wouldn't be required to rely on that old devil NASA or any of their astrologers... I mean astronomers. :)

Upvote 0

BradB

Jan 14, 2013
✟22,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want to say this again. The Bible says there are directions like North, South, East, and West (See Genesis 28:14). Yet, on a flat Earth there is no true North, South, East, or West. They want us to believe that our compasses are lying when they lead us North, South, West, and East. See, the center of a flat disk is not North. There is no North on a flat disc. It's like a pizza with a nitrogen dipped ice crust on a rotating plate. Where is North on spinning plate of pizza? Yet, with a globe that has a magnetic field with clearly distinguished marker points (i.e. the magnetic poles), you can have a true North, and a true South.

Very good point.
To that I would add that God said He would remember our sins no more that they would be taken away as far as the East is to the West. Notice He didn't say North is to South because each of those positions would have an ending on a globe. However the directions of East and West have no ends on a globe.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,197,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very good point.
To that I would add that God said He would remember our sins no more that they would be taken away as far as the East is to the West. Notice He didn't say North is to South because each of those positions would have an ending on a globe. However the directions of East and West have no ends on a globe.

Now that is amazing.

My brain is exploding right now.

I love God's Word.

Thank you for sharing that with me.

Side Note:

I would like to add that there is no true North on a flat disk. On a flat disk: True North would be going up into the sky and true South would be digging into the ground.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,197,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of pizza:

I had an Digiorno Supreme cheese stuffed crust pizza yesterday and I ate the remainder of it today. I normally don't eat pizza, but I had a taste for one. I know it's a frozen pizza, but it is really delicious. After cutting the pie with a pizza cutter, you just have to wait about 10 minutes to let it cool, otherwise you will burn the roof of your mouth. In other words, do not make this pizza when you are super hungry and or if you are in hurry to eat something fast.

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Midnight Sun

In Barrow, the state’s northernmost community, the sun does not set for more than two and a half months—from May 10 until August 2. (The contrast is from November 18 to January 24, when the sun never rises above the horizon!)

The real boundary of the midnight sun is the Arctic Circle, latitude 66 degrees, 33 minutes north. That imaginary line marks the lowest latitude at which the sun remains above the horizon for a full 24 hours during summer solstice (June 20 or 21) and below the horizon for a full 24 hours during winter solstice (December 21 or 22).

At the equator, the sun rises straight up from the horizon and sets straight down to it. In Alaska, the sun travels in a slanting 360 degree circle in the sky, so even if it's below the horizon, it's barely below it for a long period. This means that even though the sun isn't visible, we still receive very bright twilight that can last for hours or until the sun rises again. For example, Fairbanks, which is below the Arctic Circle by almost 200 miles, still receives 24 hours of light for a long period in the summer. Conversely, in winter, the sun may only be above the horizon for a few hours, but there are many more hours of visible light due to the very low arc the sun travels across the horizon.

How is this explained by flat earthers?

Upvote 0

Netgear

A Dog On A Mission
Feb 23, 2018
Pontliw
✟6,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Very good point.

Good point

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not incredulous, cosmology is irrelevant to the doctrine of creation. Debate what?
Your response demonstrates you are not familiar with the argument. Does not Genesis 1 deal with the cosmology of our world? For you to claim that cosmology is irrelevant to the doctrine of creation is not a credible assertion.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You'd also admit that above looking down, a sphere is circular, thus the "circle of the Earth" can mean that too, obviously. Either one, just from only the one phrase. But consider a more crucial thing --

If there was a reason this matters for faith in Christ Jesus our Redeemer, or for the instructions we are told to do in the gospels and epistles, such as "forgive ....seventy times seven" -- somehow it matters for being Christian -- then in that case it's worth discussing carefully.

But instead it's just a geometry discussion, and does not bear on our relationship with God in any way.

Therefore, one could casually share it, but never insist it's important.

What is important?

Here's a very good summary:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
---------
where 'catholic' means universal, that all believers in Christ are together in the 'catholic' church because they believe in Him
the 'communion of saints' recognizes that those who pass on who are in the church with us are still one with us, that we are all together both the living and the passed on, One in Christ.
You conveniently avoided dealing with the texts of Isaiah 40:22 and 22:18. If the earth were a round ball, Isaiah would have used the word דּוּר transliterated as dur to describe the shape of the earth.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So our planet has a magnetic field generated by the motion of liquid iron alloy at the center of our planet. We can observe the field generated as it surrounds us and extends all the way into space, and you can follow the field lines (like you might have seen in school experiments with magnets) using a compass. Now the compass gives you a very specific direction, North-South, ending in two distinct points, which we call the magnetic poles. There is no way to create such a magnetic field on a flat disk.

Flat Earth theorists claim that the Earth is a ring magnet but that doesn't work. A ring magnet has a very specific magnetic field, where the direction of the magnetic field flips when you're inside the ring compared to when you are on the disk. Have you ever seen your compass suddenly point south while working north? And how would the magnetic field of such a ring be produced?

I mean, you want the center (Northpole) to be magnetic and you want the outer edges to be magnetic. They are not the same magnetic fields that are opposite of each other. One magnetic point (North) would be like a dot in the center and the other magnetic field would like an edge of a pizza crust. It's totally imbalanced.

Also, a compass would basically be a lie. There would be no true North on a flat Earth map. It would only be the center of the map.

The Bible mentions directions like North and stuff.

"And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed." (Genesis 28:14).​

But in the Flat Earth world, there technically is no such thing as called "North." It would be a lie. Your compass would be a lie. On a flat disc map there is no such thing as North really because it is actually the center of the map on your Earth and it is not truly North like on a round Earth (Which is the real world we live upon).

Source Used:
Here Are Five Ways You Personally Can Prove The Earth Isn't Flat
As you know science is based upon empirical evidence - observable and repeatable. Given this, I would call into your claim that the magnetic field is based on a molten liquid existing in the core of the earth. The deepest hole dug by man only reaches 7.5 miles beneath the earth's surface not even through the mantle. So how is it then, that one can posit that the magnetic field is influenced by a molten core when we have not even gotten close to the core. At the most one can only speculate that a molten core exists and since that is the case, it is speculative at best how the magnetic field operates. It may be true, or it may not be true - theory at best and not proven to be true.

On a flat earth, North is simply the center of a flat, disc shaped earth. The compass always points North to the center of the circle of the earth. Likewise, South points to the outer boundaries of the earth's circle. South is the opposite of the North no matter where we are on a flat earth. Directions are not a problem on a flat earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Your response demonstrates you are not familiar with the argument. Does not Genesis 1 deal with the cosmology of our world? For you to claim that cosmology is irrelevant to the doctrine of creation is not a credible assertion.
Sure it is, Genesis 1 tells us that the universe was created and that's it. All we know about when is that it was in the beginning, that is the extent of the cosmology in the text. At some point, God decides to work on his original creation to make earth suitable for life, in the space of six days God created life and man, about 6,000 years ago. No cosmology needed or implied.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure it is, Genesis 1 tells us that the universe was created and that's it. All we know about when is that it was in the beginning, that is the extent of the cosmology in the text. At some point, God decides to work on his original creation to make earth suitable for life, in the space of six days God created life and man, about 6,000 years ago. No cosmology needed or implied.
So when we get down to brass tacks and you find it hard to believe that I subscribe to a flat earth, geocentric model as I believe the scriptures describe, what objections do you have that cause you to scripturally or empirically believe otherwise?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,197,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As you know science is based upon empirical evidence - observable and repeatable. Given this, I would call into your claim that the magnetic field is based on a molten liquid existing in the core of the earth. The deepest hole dug by man only reaches 7.5 miles beneath the earth's surface not even through the mantle. So how is it then, that one can posit that the magnetic field is influenced by a molten core when we have not even gotten close to the core. At the most one can only speculate that a molten core exists and since that is the case, it is speculative at best how the magnetic field operates. It may be true, or it may not be true - theory at best and not proven to be true.

On a flat earth, North is simply the center of a flat, disc shaped earth. The compass always points North to the center of the circle of the earth. Likewise, South points to the outer boundaries of the earth's circle. South is the opposite of the North no matter where we are on a flat earth. Directions are not a problem on a flat earth.

Again, the center of a pizza is not North. North for a pizza would be the direction above the pizza. South would be the direction underneath. There is no true North on a flat disk unless it was hung like a Christmas tree ornament and there was a magnetic pole stuck through it with one magnetic end being North and the other magnetic end being South (whereby the rotation or spin would play off of that pole). In other words, it would be like a quarter spinning on a table. True North would be an illusion or a lie in a flat disk or flat Earth. You would think that you are going North, but you really are not going North but to a center spot on the map. North is considered upwards and South is considered downwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Again, the center of a pizza is not North. North for a pizza would be the direction above the pizza. South would be the direction underneath. There is no true North on a flat disk unless it was hung like a Christmas tree ornament and there was a magnetic pole stuck through it with one magnetic end being North and the other magnetic end being South (whereby the rotation or spin would play off of that pole). In other words, it would be like a quarter spinning on a table. True North would be an illusion or a lie in a flat disk or flat Earth. You would think that you are going North, but you really are not going North but to a center spot on the map. North is considered upwards and South is considered downwards.
You are exactly correct but your cognitive dissonance and conformation bias only serves to reinforce your view of the earth. True North just so happens to be in the center of a flat earth whereas true North is on the "top" of a round earth. The relevant point is - no matter which direction you go, directions all work in the same manner on a flat earth as they do on a ball earth. Do you posit any scriptural or empirical evidence for a heliocentric, spherical earth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,197,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are exactly correct but your cognitive dissonance and conformation bias only serves to reinforce your view of the earth. True North just so happens to be in the center of a flat earth whereas true North is on the "top" of a round earth. The relevant point is - no matter which direction you go, directions all work in the same manner on a flat earth as they do on a ball earth. Do you posit any scriptural or empirical evidence for a heliocentric, spherical earth?

The Bible describes south as going downward and not outward.

Acts of the Apostles 8:26 says,
"And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert."

Upvote 0

BradB

Jan 14, 2013
✟22,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Friend allow me to ask you one very basic question if you will. Do you know that God exists and if so what was the first thing that brought you to this knowledge? (note: I am being intentional by not using the word "believe" because that word gets so overly misused.)

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible describes south as going downward and not outward.

Acts of the Apostles 8:26 says,
"And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert."
South is the opposite of North is it not? As I previously wrote, North is the center of the flat earth disc. South on a flat earth is not a pole as it is on globed earth. South (Antarctica) surrounds the entire circumference of the flat earth, therefore no matter where on the earth one is situated, traveling in the opposite direction of North always leads in a Southward direction. The scriptures don't contradict this.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Friend allow me to ask you one very basic question if you will. Do you know that God exists and if so what was the first thing that brought you to this knowledge? (note: I am being intentional by not using the word "believe" because that word gets so overly misused.)
I have two post-graduate degrees including one from seminary so I'm somewhat capable of "believing" something through my own research, critical thinking, and analyses. This process is something that we should all be able to do but there are things that we simply take for granted because we have been taught so from an early age. For example, some of us believed in Santa Claus because we were told that he exists by our parents - until we found out otherwise at a later age. Some of us who did not grow up in Christian households, had to study the Bible before believing the claims of Christ and coming to faith. So it is with the heliocentric model of our earth. From the time we first entered grade-school, a globed-earth probably sat there in the classroom. When we went to the movie theater as kids, a Universal Pictures movie one show a globed earth before the movie started. The germane question is: Is the heliocentric model accurate based on the weight of empirical evidence and Scripture or is the geocentric model accurate based on the weight of empirical evidence and Scripture? It doesn't hurt to ask this question for yourself does it? In this internet age of easily available information, this topic is not difficult to explore.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,197,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
South is the opposite of North is it not? As I previously wrote, North is the center of the flat earth disc. South on a flat earth is not a pole as it is on globed earth. South (Antarctica) surrounds the entire circumference of the flat earth, therefore no matter where on the earth one is situated, traveling in the opposite direction of North always leads in a Southward direction. The scriptures don't contradict this.

The verse I quoted to you shows you that South is going down. Also, it is common knowledge that even on the most ancient maps, South is going down and North is going up. This would not be the case on a flat Earth. It would be a lie. Going up on the map would just be going to the center of a flat disc and it really would not be up. You can also only see the Southern cross constellation no farther than Hawaii or North Africa (25 degrees North of the equator in the Northern Hemisphere). Once you go farther up North, you cannot see the Southern cross constellation.

So...

#1. The Bible.
#2. Maps.
#3. Constellations

Works against you here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0