Mar 15, 2003
Auburn Hills, MI
Visit site
✟7,902.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
As a Christian and baptized into Christ and receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Corinthians tells us that we will not all have the same gifts.

You probably know people who are very Hospitable (entertain guests/visitors)
You know people in your congregation that are excellent teachers (not necessarily the most educated)
You know people in you Church who are excellent at Speaking Engagements

We all have different talents - it is what you do with them (Parable in NT. When each servant was given differing amounts of money)

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gifts are not talents...
Hmmm. I am not so sure. I am of the belief that the “gifts” (charism) mentioned in the Bible do not comprise a comprehensive list, but are given by way of examples. Many are definitely supernatural “gifts” (healing, miracles, discerning of spirits, etc.) but some are definitely natural “talents” (hospitality, administration, serving, teaching, etc.) The Apostle seems to think that both supernatural enablements and what we consider natural talents are all God-given and can be used by God for the furtherance of his kingdom. :)

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a Christian and baptized into Christ and receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Corinthians tells us that we will not all have the same gifts.

You probably know people who are very Hospitable (entertain guests/visitors)
You know people in your congregation that are excellent teachers (not necessarily the most educated)
You know people in you Church who are excellent at Speaking Engagements

We all have different talents - it is what you do with them (Parable in NT. When each servant was given differing amounts of money)

gifts are not talents...

This needs explanation. In Scripture, a "talent" is a monetary unit, like dollars or Euros. In the referenced parable in Matt. 25, a master entrusts various servants with differing quantities of talents based on his anticipation of how well each would manage the money, and then rewarded or punished each one in accord with how well they actually did manage the money.

The only reason I can see for distinguishing between "gifts" and "talents" (when "talents" are seen in the context of Matt. 25) would be that the Master who grants the talents later rewards or punishes based on wisdom and faithfulness in investing those talents, while "gifts," strictly speaking, are FREELY given by the Master. But I'm not sure Scripture supports the idea that God does not hold us accountable for our use of His gifts.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I said gifts are not talents I meant a talent is something you do on your own and become proficient at. For instance I learned to play the guitar, that was a talent because it took me a couple years to become talented. Had I picked a guitar up for the first time and played as if I had played my whole life without ever practicing then sure that would be a gift. There is a difference.
Speaking in public took me many years to become proficient at because as the Apostle Paul I was horrible. But through repetition and perseverance I grew out of that fear. That was not a gift but a natural means by which I became talented. Had I just stood up one day out of the blue and just blasted a 45 minute sermon in front of thousands, that would definitely had been a gift, because I was an extreme introvert. Gift of faith perhaps who knows, but a gift nonetheless. Something I didn't pay for nor earn nor took possession of over time, it just came.
My view at least we are each allowed our own. :)

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
TALENT COMES BY WAY OF INSPIRATION - BUT A GIFT CAN ONLY COME THROUGH GOD BY HIS ANOINTING !

SOME PEOPLE CAN SING LIKE A BIRD - BUT DON'T LIVE THE CHRISTIAN LIFE !

others CAN sing off key - AND many GET SAVED ! (ANOINTED).

SOME CAN PREACH ELOQUENTLY, NO RESULTS, OTHERS MURDER THE KINGS ENGLISH - MANY SAVED - ANOINTED !

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Derek Prince was baptised in the Holy Spirit in WW2. He was a Cambridge philosophy lecturer before that. Or maybe Oxford. Derek taught, baptism is immersion, like standing under a waterfall. And that baptism in the Holy Spirit is to be thoroughly covered in the Holy Spirit. Derek's testimony can be bought or I can recount what I recall for you later.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Baptism in living water, baptism in fire, as Jesus longed for us to undergo, covered with the blood of Jesus, covered in anointing oil.

Dr Randy Clark, refers to impartations, and he sought and gained more than one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I see it more like soil seed time and harvest. Heart is the soil, baptism in the Holy Spirit the seed and water, then the baptism is over, then one should bear fruit. Then again another impartation for another mission, or simply to have more power in the current service.

Upvote 0

malvina

Aug 22, 2014
South Australia
✟8,706.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
First of all I believe it's the 'depth' of our initial comittment that determines the amount that God can use us. He used me quite mightily before I was Baptised in the Spirit. When the pastor laid hands on me for the latter with tongues it immediately released me my personality became charismatic I was aware of His Presence and there began a 2-way conversation - He became my 'best mate' that I chat to all the time and the church recognised Gifts of the Spirit that were used and produced many miracles

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have made excellent points JimB.

Recently during Church, the Priest read out aloud a re-knewing of The Holy Spirit to fill each soul/heart/person - a sort of second Baptism without The Holy Water and Baptismal Rites given, although Holy Water was used at the end, lightly sprinkled over the Congregation.

Certain words were to be repeated to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit of which were done.

However, nagging at the back of my mind - in my Heart- was the knowing in my heart that I would not fully receive The Holy Spirit nor feel worthy to receive Jesus in His Blessed Sacraments (as an adult and sinner) until...I had overcome a little fear of drinking Jesus' representation of His Blood/Wine Blessed by Jesus prior to His Holy Mass/Church Service. Jesus in His Holy Presence at Eucharist/Holy Communion time Blesses every person's Soul and Heart with His most Loving Graces and Gifts of which our Soul and Spirit is filled with The Holy Spirit through Jesus Himself!

So...if a heart comes to Jesus in His Universal Christian Church to receive Jesus' Flesh and Blood while focussing on Jesus Himself; one at the same time would be Blessed and re-newed in The Holy Spirit/God at that time ie weekly if one attends Church weekly and receives Jesus/God's Blessed Sacrament of Love (Jesus terms this in His Divine Mercy Holy messages of 600 pages given to Saint Faustina during the 1930s).

That is why when these subjects arise in relation to The Holy Spirit, one only need receive Jesus' Holy Host through one of Jesus' Universal Christian Churches from one's own Heart to receive The Holy Spirit ie God's Love, Holy Wisdom, Holy Guidance and Enlightenment including His Loving Holy Blessings, Gifts and Graces.

the saddest part Jim is that people and in particular young people just don't get it! There is Jesus' Pre-Blessed Holy Host - ie His Flesh and Blood that He has Himself Blessed furing each of His Christian Universal church services - manifested at the Altar - watching and waiting for people to walk in and receive His Blessed Host to give people His Blessings, Gifts and Graces ie Jesus God and The Holy Spirit's "Sacrament of Love" Jesus says in His Divine Mercy Holy messages to the world thru Saint Faustina.

Love and kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have made excellent points JimB.

Recently during Church, the Priest read out aloud a renewing of The Holy Spirit to fill each soul/heart/person - a sort of second Baptism without The Holy Water and Baptismal Rites given, although Holy Water was used at the end, lightly sprinkled over the Congregation.

Certain words were to be repeated to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit of which were done.

However, nagging at the back of my mind - in my Heart- was the knowing in my heart that I would not fully receive The Holy Spirit nor feel worthy to receive Jesus in His Blessed Sacraments (as an adult and sinner) until...I had overcome a little fear of drinking Jesus' representation of His Blood/Wine Blessed by Jesus prior to His Holy Mass/Church Service. (during winter time I avoid the flu as greatly as possible) Jesus in His Holy Presence at Eucharist/Holy Communion time Blesses every person's Soul and Heart with His most Loving Graces and Gifts of which our Soul and Spirit is filled with The Holy Spirit through Jesus Himself! Needless to say, I overcame this some time ago yet guilty within my relationship with Jesus about this!

So...if a heart comes to Jesus in His Universal Christian Church to receive Jesus' Flesh and Blood while focussing on Jesus Himself; one at the same time would be Blessed and re-newed in The Holy Spirit/God at that time ie weekly if one attends Church weekly and receives Jesus/God's Blessed Sacrament of Love (Jesus terms this in His Divine Mercy Holy messages of 600 pages given to Saint Faustina during the 1930s).

That is why when these subjects arise in relation to The Holy Spirit, one only need receive Jesus' Holy Host through one of Jesus' Universal Christian Churches from one's own Heart to receive The Holy Spirit ie God's Love, Holy Wisdom, Holy Guidance and Enlightenment including His Loving Holy Blessings, Gifts and Graces.

the saddest part Jim is that people and in particular young people just don't get it! There is Jesus' Pre-Blessed Holy Host - ie His Flesh and Blood that He has Himself Blessed during each of His Christian Universal church services - manifested at the Altar - watching and waiting for people to walk in and receive His Blessed Host to give people His Blessings, Gifts and Graces ie Jesus God and The Holy Spirit's "Sacrament of Love" Jesus says in His Divine Mercy Holy messages to the world thru Saint Faustina.

Love and kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0