Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Promise of the Holy Spirit
Act 1:1-5

The book of Acts picks up where we left off in Matthew. The writer of Acts is Luke. The name Theopholis means in Greek, "Loves God" or "Lover of God". The letter to "Theopholis" could be either Lukes benefactor or a symbol for all believers. (Jewish Annotated New Testament) This narrative is written about 63-70 AD. Per the Jewish New Testament Commentary, according to Luke 1:3, Luke addressed Theophilos as "Your Excellencey", and Acts is the second of two records (the book of Luke being the first) and that Theophilos was probably an upper-class Greek who had requested that Luke do so.

In the book of John (20:17) we see Yeshua telling Mary to stop clinging to him because he has not yet ascended to the Father. Then later, when Yeshua meets his disciples at the Galilee, he invites them to touch him and see that he is real. The conclusion I come to is that he had already ascended and presented himself to his Father as accomplishing his mission and risen from the dead and was now meeting his disciples as he said he would. I think the ascension that was witnessed by the disciples happened 40 days later, during the Counting of the Omer, which starts after Passover, culminating at the day of Shavuot (what Christians call the Day of Pentecost) when there were 120 gathered together in the upper room.

Acts says that during these 40 days Yeshua was "speaking about the Kingdom of God. It does not spell out for us exactly what Yeshua said, but I would guess that they were truths regarding the Kingdom of God that fit with the counting of the Omer plus many other revelations Just my guess though.

Yeshua ordered them to not leave Jerusalem but to "Wait for the promise of the Father For John immersed in water, but you will be immersed in the Holy Spirit". It was another 10 days (total of 50) later that it would happen. They had no idea what exactly to expect, but they were soon to find out. :clap:

• My information is gleaned from One New Man Bible, The Jewish Annotated New Testament, Jewish New Testament Commentary, as well as varied websites whom I've linked to as possible.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Ascension of Yeshua
Act 1:6-11

Yeshua spent 40 days with them before his ascension. The number 40 represents divinely ordained periods of time. (Gen 7:4; Ex 16:35; Ex 24:18) At their last meeting together, the disciples asked him, "Are you restoring the Kingdom to Israel at this time?"

The apostles, as all Jews did, expected that the Messiah would restore Israel's independence, freeing them from Roman oppression and bring Israel back to a sovereign rule as it was with King Saul, King David, and King Solomon (Lk 24:21) and indeed He will. His answer "it's not for you to know the times or seasons the Father has set" conveys that there is a time and a season that it will happen, but it was not right at that time. This response from Yesua is not a harsh one, just a reminder that the secret things belong to Adonai. See Deut 29:28.

The focus of Yeshua at this moment was on the coming of the Holy Spirit. It would be that baptism that would bring the power they needed to be witnesses.

Being a witness is an important theme in Acts. Those who have seen or participated in the experience are empowered to testify to it. To be Yeshua's witness in both word and deed means communicating the verbal content of the gospel and living God's way and not our own way (Lke 9:23-25). It can be accomplished only with power from the Holy Spirit.

Yeshua tells them to start where they are, in Jerusalem, then move out to all the world. I think besides telling every believer to "start where they are" (not all of us are in Jerusalem), there is also the command "To the Jew first" (Rom 1:16; Rom 2:10; Lke 24:47) Many Christians do not understand that God has not, as some falsely teach, deserted the Jewish people. All the first believers were Jewish and God has made them promises and He does not renege on His promises.

After saying this, as they all watched, Yeshua was taken up and a cloud received him and they were unable to see him anymore. A cloud is a symbol for divine presence. See Ex 24:15; Dan 7:13.

While they stood staring up into heaven two men appeared to them. They were dressed in white. White garments represent a place of spiritual preparedness (Ecc 9:8) Remember similar figures appeared at Yeshua's tomb.

They asked, "Why do you keep standing here" LOL I can just envision them all staring up into heaven with their jaws dropped...I'd a been there right along with them. Then the men tell them, "This Yeshua, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw Him go into heaven.” (Zech 14:4)

Comments and Questions

• My information is gleaned from One New Man Bible, The Jewish Annotated New Testament, Jewish New Testament Commentary, as well as varied websites whom I've linked to as possible.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Appointing a New Emissary
Act 1:12-26

After watching Yeshua ascend into heaven the 11 return to Jerusalem to wait, as Yeshua told them. I personally, don't think that all they did was sit in the room all day, 24/7 and pray. I think they went about normal business, getting food, cooking, washing, eating, etc. and also gathering in prayer waiting for the promised Holy Spirit.

The room the eleven were staying in was most likely someones home, or an apartment they were renting, or a room in the Temple complex that was rented out for meetings. (Lke 24:52-53) During the times of gathering and praying there were other people that joined them, men and women. The mother of Yeshua plus his brothers would come. They were praying together with one mind.

To pray with one mind the believers together must be united in heart and mind in order to have power in prayer. We must rid our minds of the distractions that cause our minds to wander from the things of God when we are praying.

Note that women were not excluded. Judaism has always included and given a special place to women, however in the Synagogue men and women are traditionally separated by a dividing wall or curtain. The reason given is that it diminishes attention and passion, which interferes with prayer. I think this would not be a bad thing in todays churches. Too much distraction between men and women. I think it keeps us from focusing on what God is trying to do. As each person though begins to take control of their own distractions, concerns vanish as hearts turn to God. This group functioned more like a family than a congregation. There is no implication though that the men and women were together or separated.

It was during one of these days of "waiting" that Peter stood and addressed them all. It says there were about 120 men and women. He said that the scriptures had to be fulfilled regarding Yeshua's betrayal by Judas. Judas was part of their group and had now received his share of the part he had pleayed among them.

It was known to all in Jerusalem what Judas had done and that the money he had received for the deed was used to purchase a field that was designated a cemetery for strangers and the poor and that Judas had hanged himself in that field. Per Matthew, the chief priests purchased that field. They did in the name of Judas, thereby making it Judas that purchased it.

Peter quotes from Psalm 109:8. Saying further that "someone who's been with us all the time that the Lord went in and out among us, from the time he was baptized by John up to his ascension must become a witness with us".

So they nominated two men, Joseph (Barsabbas/Justas) and Matthias. Joseph, like many Jews today had both a Gentile name and a Jewish one. I've heard it taught that Paul should have been the replacement, and indeed Paul was an emissary, however, he did not fit the qualifications as spoken by Peter. (see preceding paragraph and also this link)

They prayed that the Lord would choose the right man to take the position They cast lots for the two and the lot fell on Matthias. Casting lots was a common way of making decisions and revealing divine intent. (Lev 16:8; Num 26:55-56; Jon 1:7; Esth 3:7; 9:24; 1 Chr 25:8-9) See also Prov 16:33. We don't know anything more about Matthias, just that he was the replacement for Judas.

Comments and Questions

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Coming of The Holy Spirit
Act 2:1-13

When the day of Shavuot had come, the 50th day after Passover, they were all together in one place. This 50th day of the counting of the Omer was Shavuot (Pentecost). One of the observances of Shavuot is to stay awake all night the night before praying and reading scripture. Suddenly, there came a sound from heaven like the sound of a mighty rushing wind and filled the whole house where they were sitting, and flames of fire appeard and settled on each one of them.

Jews from every nation had made the pilgrimage to Jerusalem. The Temple was regularly referred to as "The House", so the 120 were likely in a seperate meeting room somewhere in the Temple area. It was not necessarily the same room they had started in but fit at least 120 people.

When the sound came, the thousands of people gathered. They were amazed that they were hearing "Galaleans" (thought to be ignorant) speaking in his own language. Some poked fun though saying they were filled with new wine, however, new wine had not had time to begin turning to vinegar where its alcoholic content is at its highest.

• I was overwhelmed with the information I found on this festival, especially in the Complete Jewish Bible Commentary. If you can get your hands on it, I'd highly reccommend it. I've added several links on the festival that should give you lots of info on why Shavuot is important. It's not just about speaking in tongues, as many Charismatic/Pentecostals get caught up in. It's about God's promises from Mount Sainai and the giving of the Torah and many other links. I wish that I could get it all in here, there's so much.
  • Most of the links I've provided are of Christian/Messianic and I know at least one is a Jewish site. I'm hoping that between them all you will be as overwhelmed (in a good way) that I am. Perhaps I may extend this portion out. We'll see. :)

Comments and Questions

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Coming of The Holy Spirit
Act 2:1-13
(Continued)

In the giving of the Holy Spirit on Shavuot, God deliberately emphasized the connection between the giving of the Torah (God's written word) and the coming of the Holy Spirit. He gave similar miraculous signs. The roar and fire in Jerusalem recalled the fire, smoke, and sounds at Sinai. (Ex 19:18-19; Deut 5 19-21). This time though, instead of God's people being kept away (Ex 19:21-23; Deut 5:22-24), God's glory and tongues of fire came to each person individually.

I think we can see this too as a "reversal" of what happened at the Tower of Babel (Gen 11:1-19) At Babel the people used their unity for sinful purposes but here on Shavuot they were waiting (not just making their own plans) but praying and praising God. When the Holy Spirit came, the unity of the people was used for procaiming the glories of God and praising Him.

It says that each man heard them praising God in their own language. There were many nations and languages represented, and each of the 120 were speaking and were understood by each of those nations that were represente. Men AND women were both proclaiming the wonders and mercies of God. Another God deliberate move I think. :amen:

It says Jews and proselytes were there and were amazed and confused but open to learning whereas others mocked the followers of Yeshua. A proselyte is a person not born Jewish who has converted to the Jewish faith...therefore, we can see the gospel already being preached to not only the Jew but to the Gentile as well. :clap: Both Jews and Gentiles were in attendance, heard the gospel of Messiah, and believed. The disciples did not seem to catch on to the message in that until later though.

I think it sad that many churches don't even mention Shavuot/Pentecost (except in the light of speaking in tongues and doing crazy antics) much less search it out and see the wonderful correlation of Go'ds promises and fulfillment of those promises. I think many in the church have a lack of understanding of God and what His promises and faithfullness means to us.

Shavuot/Pentecost was NOT the birth of the church. The church had been in existance since God gave His instructions for living a blessed and fruitful life (Torah ...see Deut 28) on Mount Sinai. What Yeshua said to them before he left is in plain sight, yet many do not see it. Yeshua tdid not say, "wait here for your birth day", he said, "wait here for power from the Holy Spirit to be His Witnesses" (Act 1:8).

At Sinai the church was born (Act 7:38), at Shavout, hundreds of years later, the church became empowered. The coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts was the empowerment of the church.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Peter's Speech on Shavuot
Act 2:14-36

Peter (his Hebrew name Kefa) boldly begins speaking. The only place in the Temple area that was probably large enough to speak to such a crowd was Solomon's Porch.

He addresses them as brothers yet uses strong and blunt words, as Moses and King David did in order to stir repentance. He says they are not drunk, it's only 9AM and too early for that, but what is happening is what is spoken about by the Prophet Joel. Then He begins to quote the Prophet Joel. (JL 3:1-5)

"This is that" which Joel said would happen in the last days. The last days have begun. (Heb 1:2; 1 Cor 10:11; 1 Pet 1:20). Even now, the last days are continuing. (1 John 2:18; Jude 18) It will continue and culminate on what Joel calls "the great and glorious day of Adonai" (see Book of Revelation).

Peter reminds them how Yeshua of Nazareth performed many signs and wonders of God among them. How Yeshua, according to God's predetermined plan and foreknowledge was handed over to evil men and killed by you.

The "you" is not all Jews nor was it just Jews. The "deed" was preplanned by God in order to save the "world" from it's sins. Those used to accomplish this plan had free will and they chose to do the wrong thing. Pilate, by his very act of washing his hands showed he recognized his own guilt, and the way the Roman soldiers mocked and beat him showed their depravity. The Jews involved knew they were breaking the "law" and did it anyway. Several of them had mocked him while he hung on the cross. Jew and Gentile, both were involved in Yeshua's death. Every one of us is involved by knowing the right thing to do but not doing it (Jms 4:17). We all killed Yeshua. Yeshua died for the sins of mankind. (Lee Juke 22:22).

"BUT" :clap: God raised him up and released him from death, for it was impossible for him to be held by it. (PS 6:8-11).

He reminds them that God swore to King David (who according to Jewish tradition was born and died on Shavuot, all in attendance would be aware of that) with an oath that Messiah would come from his lineage (2 Sam 7:12-13; Ps 132:11) and David saw beforehand about the death and resurrection of Messiah and that he would not be abandoned in death (Ps 16:10).

Peter tells them they (the eleven) are all witnesses to Yeshua's rising from the dead. " We watched him be taken up to the right-hand o f God" (symbol of power and strength) and that the receiving of the Holy Spirit was a promise from God and that what they were now seeing was the fulfillment of that promise then Peter quotes from Psalms (Ps 16:10)

"Therefore", says Peter, "let the whole house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him—this Yeshua whom you had crucified—both Lord and Messiah!”

Joel says, "whoever calls upon the name of Adonai will be saved". (see also Rom 10:13). The rest of Peters speech shows that one can call on Adonai for salvation only by acknowledging Yeshua as Messiah.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Teshuva - Thousands Immersed
Act 2:37-41

Peter's words cut to their heart. They knew that all that Peter had said regarding Yeshua was true. They knew they were guilty of many crimes against God and in their knowledge of their sins they became desperate. They cried out, "What can we do?"

Peter told them they must repent (turn back to God...Teshuva) and be immersed (baptized) in the name of Yeshua Messiah for the removal of your sins and then they would receive the Holy Spirit. They were told that the promise was not only for them but to their families and to those far away for as many as God called to Himself.

In Solomons Temple there were man pools, called Mikvahs, set up especially for people to immerse in. After repentance, showing one's committment to live according to God's word was an immediate action.

While many were responding and being immerced Peter continued to preach to them and to otehrs who had not yet responded to the message, warning them, and urging them to "save themselves from this twisted generation", which encludes every generation. That day they added about three thousand souls to the congregation.

The message is still the same today...Turn from sin, and turn to God. Real repentance involves a person understanding that they have sinned against God and that they deserve God's judgement. But they also understand tthat Yeshua our Messiah, God has made the way of their escape. All they need to do is "repent" (turn away from) their sin and they will be washed clean.

They should be immersed as soon as possible as a show of their repentance and cleansing of that sin. Then they should live their life as in line with God's word as they understand and can do. When we "blow it" and we understand the severity of what we've done, we repent again, accept His forgiveness and walk and grow in the Holy Spirit so as to be mature in our walk.

We repent every time we need to. Our faith and trust is in our Messiah Yeshua. It is throug Him that the flesh is overcome and we are able to live as He's called us to. See Rom 7:21-25.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Life Among The Believers
Act 2:42-47

They were devoting themselves to the teachings of the disciples. As far as I can tell, the disciples taught the Tanakh, which is Torah, the Prophets, and the Poets. Yeshua referenced what we call the OT scriptures constantly. The sermon on the mount is Torah, with God's interpretation. The discussions Yeshua got into with the scribes and Pharisees were all on the interpretation of Torah. Their interpretaion versus God's...the Author. Yeshau never dismissed Torah. At this period in time, it was the only scripture. The people were encouraged to take the teachings of the disciples and compare it with Torah to see if they were teaching the truth and those who did so discovered they were.

So the new believers devoted themselves to studying Torah and learning from the disciples the correct understanding. They spent time with each other, studying, and praying and eating meals. Torah study and eating meals go together.

• From the Mishna: "Rabbi Eazar ben Azaryah [1st-2n century C.E.] said, '...If there is no meal there is no [study of] Torah, and if there is no [study of] Torah there is no meal'" (Avot 3:17)
They said all the prayer and blessing over the food that they had always said. Jews have a blessing for just about everything. Of course we are not confined to just these blessings and are free to speak to God from our heart in our privte times. Being in one accord though, I think they probably kept with what had been established.

The prayer for the breaking of bread was the normal way they did things, however, Yeshua gave additional meaning to the act of breaking bread by saying at the Last Supper, "take it in remembrance of me". I think that possibley everytime the desciples ate a piece of bread they remembered.

They began to share everything in common. Those who had property and possessions began selling andor sharing them with others in need so that no one was in lack for anything.

They spent time at the Temple plus going from house to house fellowshipping. The richer people who had a house invited people over to eat and study and pray some more. They were sharing with gladness and those who were in need were not too proud and they too would share what they had.

It all seems to have been an automatic reaction to the Holy Spirit. Every day the Lord was adding to the numbers of the new believers.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
A Lame Beggar Walks
Act 3:1-10

So, on Shavuot, there were the 120 that spilled out of the upper room into the crowd of Jewish people in Jerusalem from all around the area to observe Shavuot. Approximately 3,000 new believers were added to the church that day. Plus, there were new believers being added "daily". By the time this next event took place, we can only imagine how many new believers there now were not just in Jerusalem but in the homelands from where all the people had come to observe Shavuot.

It says that Peter and John were going up to the Temple and it was the 9th hour, 3 pm which was the time for the afternoon prayer. (see here for tinsight on the prayer times, Understanding the Eight Prayer Watches) A man who had been born without the ability to walk was being carried to the Temple Gate where he would beg for alms from all the people coming and going from the city. When he saw Peter and John, he began asking them for money.

Peter looked straight at him and said, "Look at us". The man did. Peter said, "I don't have any silver or gold but what I do have, I give to you. In the name of Yeshua ha-Mashiach ha-Natzrati, get up and walk" (Jesus the Messiah from Nazareth).

Then Peter grabbed him by the hand and pulled him to his feet and immediately the man's feet and ankles were made strong and he started walking, jumping and dancing all the way to the Temple. LOL I can envision it...continuing on their way to the Temple, Peter and John and this man jumping and dancing around them. Possibly running up to people he saw come through the gate on a regular basis and dancing around them, leaping and praising God. It reminds me of the song Walking and Leaping.

The man was so happy and excited it took a bit of time before people began to recognize him as the begger who sat at the gate. They became filled with wonder and astonishment over what had happened to him.

It's interesting that Peter and John did not tell the man, "Sorry, we don't have any money" and keep on walking. They acknowledged they had no money to give him, but gave himeof what they did have...The Holy Spirit. They were willing to stop and give what they did have. Do we do that? If our faith is not built enough to do what Peter did work on that faith building. How about at least praying for a person? A neighbor who says they're sick, pray for them right then. You don't have to get wild and crazy, just a prayer of faith. :)

There are so many variables to what can be done other than "just giving money and/or walking away". A kind word telling them we don't have anything to give them but we will pray for them is better than ignoring them. I know in this time it can be extremely dangerous when dealing with people in need, especially when we don't know them, however, in the event that God does lead us in our daily time span past someone whom we might be an encouragement too, stay safe but also be alert to it, and do what God tells you.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Peter's Second Speech at the Temple
Act 3:11-26

Now the people are amazed and wondering how this man who had been lame, a man they had seen daily begging at the Gate called Beautiful, was now not only walking but leaping around and praising God. He clung to Peter and John and the people realized that it had been them who had done this wonderous thing for him. All the crowd in the area became excited and began to run toward them. When Peter saw the crowd rushing toward them he began to speak.

What are you so amazed about? Kind of like, "What's the big deal?" Why do you look at us as if we did this in our own power or godliness? Peter began preaching about Yeshua. He reminded the crowd God, who was the Father of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and how He'd honored his child Yeshua whom they had handed over to Pilate and had him crucified. They had asked for a murderer to be released over the righteous Yeshua and they put to death the Author of Life. Then God raised Yeshua from the dead and they (Peter and John) are witnesses to it. It is faith in the name of Yeshua that this man's legs have been restored. A heart attitude of trust, not a magic word. "Acknowledging who God is, and what He has done, believing His promises, relying on Him for power to live a holy life, and then living that life" (Jewish NT Commentary)

Whose faith did this? It does not say whether the man was one of the new believers or not, maybe he was. Maybe he knew who Peter and John were, that they were followers of Yeshua. If he'd been there all his life surely Yeshua and his disciples had passed by many times. Why hadn't he been healed before? Did they not see him? Had he not called out to them before? Just a few questions. :)

Peter's words are quite strong but he seems to soften a bit here. He says, "now I know brothers (he calls them brothers) I know you did those things in ignorance just as your leaders did but what God had fortold through the prophets has been fulfilled. "Repent and return to God so that your sins be blotted out so that times of releaf might come from the presence of Adonai and He might send Yeshua, the Messiah appointed for you." Come quickly Yeshua HaMachia. "Heaven must receive him until the time of the restoration of all the things He has spoken about."

Several Bible translations say "Repent and be converted" The word converted gives the implication of changing religions, from Judaism to Christianity, however, that was not what Peter was saying...as such Christianity did not exist. There was Judaism with Yeshua, and Judaism without him.

Peter quoted from Moses, Deut 18:18-19. reminding them of God's promise. "You are the sons of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with your fathers when He said to Abraham, 'in your seed all the peoples of the earth will be blessed' (Gen 22:18; 26:4) Then God raised His child for you first (to the Jew first Luke 24:47. He sent him, blessing you by turning each of you from your depravities."

Up to that point, with exception to the proselytes, and most likely a few others such as Cornelius and several of his friends (we'll see more of him later), ALL the new believers were Jews. More than 3,000. Since the Lord was adding to the church daily, there more than likely were several thousand by then who were following Yeshua.

• Adding a note for yesterdays verse of Act 3:19 The verse from the Interlinear, showing the writing of the verse in Greek.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Peter and John Before the Council
Act 4:1-22

While all the crowd was listening to Peter's teaching the priests and the commanders of the Temple guard and the Sadducees were all standing around. They were greatly disturbed because Peter and John were teaching the people and they were telling the people that Yeshua had risen from the dead . So they grabbed Peter and John and threw them into jail until the next day because it was nightime. But, because of Peters sermon and the healing of the lame man more new believers had come to faith in Yeshua while there. The number of men (not women) at the Temple hearing Peters sermon was 5,000. I think the number of new believers of men, women, and children was well over 5000.

The next day all who were of high priestly dissent were gathered and Peter and Joh were brought into the middle of them, as well as the man who had been healed. They all began to question Peter and John, "What power did you use to heal the man", "Who's name did you do this healing in"?

Peter answered them, "If we are on trial today for doing a good deed for a sick man and how this was done, it was done by the name of Yeshua whom you crucified and God raised from the dead. It is by his name that this man is now standing here before you. This Yeshua, the stone rejected by you the builders (the religious leaders), that has become the chief cornerstone. There is no other name under heaven given to mankind in order to be saved."

Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and how they were merely laymen (they had not studied at a yeshiva, a Jewish training school) they were amazed. Peter and John were answering their questions and were doing it with confidence and knowledge. They were not timid. Peter and John were recognized as followers of Yeshua. Seeing the healed man standing with them though, they had no answer to give. So they ordered Peter and John to leave the room.

They said to each other, "What are we gonna do with these guys? It's obvious to all that a remarkable thing has happened through them. But so this teaching about Yeshua won't spread among the people lets just tell them to not talk about that name anymore and send them out" So that's what they did. The council warned Peter and John to not mention the name of Yeshua anymore. However, Peter and John replied, "Whether we should listen to you or God you can decide, but we cannot stop talking about what we have seen and heard."

The council threatened them and sent them out after not finding anything they could punish them for, especially since the crowd of people were also there and still praising God for what had taken place. The lame man was over 40 years old, everyone knew him.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Believers Pray for Boldness
Act 4:23-31

When Peter and John were released from jail they immediately went to where the other believers were meeting amd reported all that had taken place. They told of their just walking along, going to the Temple to pray and how the lame man asked for money and they didn't have money but in the name of Yeshua he was healed. How he was leaping and dancing, and how it attracted the attention of the leaders and Peter's speech and their arrest, and then the council meeting and being told to not mention the name of Yeshua anymore. I can maybe hear a bit of laughter at that one. Not talk about Yeshua, right.

The believers began to pray and together they lifted up their voices to God. They started out by addressing God as Master, a reminder that He created the universe, and all living creatures. There is an assurance in that while the Sanhedren gave warning about speaking about Yeshua any further that despite the Sanhedrens warning, God will defend His Messiah and those who speak his message

Then together they pray from the Psalms of David. (See Ps 2:1-2), which is an acknowledgement that while man may plan and scheme according to their own purpose and way of doing things, it is God who will have His way. The believers continued on with "For truly both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, were gathered together in this city against Your holy Servant Yeshua, whom You anointed. They did whatever Your hand and Your purpose predetermined to happen. And now, Lord, look at their threats, and grant Your servants to speak Your word with utmost courage— while You stretch out Your hand to heal, and signs and wonders take place through the name of Your holy Servant Yeshua.”

When they had finished praying their prayer was immediately answered. The place they were at shook and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness. Some had been filled before but we are instructed to keep being filled (Eph 2:18). Their fear was overcome and they just told what God said and His wonders and salvation in the name of Yeshua. This is a sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit and is the purpose of it. (Act 1:8)

Comments and Questions

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Spirit-Filled Community Life
Act 4:32-37

Scripture teaches us to give to the needy, the stranger, and the orphan. (Deut 26:1-15; Act 20:35; Prov 19:14; Heb 13:16 just to name a few) However, as often happens people get so caught up in their daily lives, they often don't realize how well they are doing, and how much they have accumulated above and beyond their daily needs...food to eat, a place to eat, and clothes and they are not aware of the needs around them, Or, maybe they are awre but just want to accumulate and they want to spend their money only on themselves and/or look successful in the eyes of the world. It's not wrong to have more than enough but it is wrong to not be willing to give to those in need when you have the abiliy to do so. This should not be confused with leachers, and those who are unwilling to work, or help out in some other way. But there are many who just need a little helping hand and if we have the ability to help it is good that we do. If we are in need of help, be wiling to share back according to your ability (not just money but services of whatever you do or have). Don't just take but share what you have as well.

• I remember one time hearing a lady who ran a food pantry in her church tell of when someone would call in need of food, she would ask them, "Do you have anything in your cupboards?" The person would maybe say, "Well, all I have is a small bag of sugar". The lady would say, "bring that bag to share with others, then you can take a box of food". She said sometimes people would get really upset that they were asked to bring that bag of sugar or half box of rice, etc., and would not come to get the box of food". They were unwilling to share what they had but wanted other people to give to them. It was a small lesson in giving and receiving.

Whatever the reason people don't give, a lot of the new believers were well-to-do people who owned properties and things that were above and beyond what they "needed" and in response to the infilling of the Holy Spirit were urged by the Holy Spirit to "sell the excess and share it with those who were in need. Due to the festival of Shavuot, there were many in town from other parts of the country and they were unprepared to extend their stay in Jerusalem in order to grow in their new faith, plus there were poor people believing in Yeshua as well. Everyone began to return to God's instructions on carying for each other that Torah teaches and everything became "common" to everyone else. All needs were met and the new believers did it willing and of their own accord.

It does not say that the Apostles specifically gave step by step instrucions as to how they should do this, although, tthey did teach giving and we do seee them in the next section handling the distribution of all the giving. As the people sold their properties and belongings it says they were putting the money at the feet of the Apostles.

There was one man named Joseph, however, the Apostles called him Barnabas. Appirently, the apostles called him this because he was an encouragement to others. The name Barnabas means, "Son of Encouragement". Barnabas was a Levite and a native of Cyprus. Barnabas was one of those people who sold their land and brought the money to the apostles and set the money at their feet.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Ananias and Sapphira
Act 5:1-11

The last portion ended talking about Barnabas who sold his property and gave the money to the apostles to distribute to whatever the need was. This portion begins with two people, a husband and wife who sold their property and gave the money to the apostles as well....with a very different outcome though.

It says that Ananias sold their property and kept some of it back for him and his wife. His wife was in full knowledge of this. They brought what they had chosen to give and set it down at the apostle's feet. The problem with this was not that they kept some of the money but that they claimed to be giving it all. They tried to give the impression that they were "big givers", to apear more giving than others.

The Holy Spirit revealed to Peter that Ananias was not giving it all but only saying he was. Peter asked him why has Satan filled your heart to lie? The property was yours to do with as you pleased, how did it get into your heart to try and make yourself appear to be giving more than others? Peter told him, "You have not lied to me, you've lied to the Holy Spirit". There was no sin in keeping some of the proceeds they had made off the land, however, it was a sin to make oneself "appear" better than others and to lie.

As soon as Peter said this, Ananias fell dead at his feet and it caused great fear among the people. The young men picked him up, wrapped him in a shroud and buried him. Three hours later, Ananias' wife showed up. She did not know what had happened. Peter asked her, "Did you seel the property for this much"? (the amount Ananias had said) and she said "yes,", the amount we are giving is the amount we sold the property for. Peter's question to her is, "How did you agree to test the Holy Spirit"? She fell down dead too and was carried off and buried beside her husband. And great fear came over the whole community.

Peter asked a good question. "Why has Satan filled your heart to lie"?

Satan wants to destroy us. He wanted to destroy Yeshua and he wants to destroy those who have put their faith and trust for their salvation in Yeshua and what he did for us on the cross. He does everything he can to distract us from our focus, not only to destroy us but to destroy the possibility of others coming to faith in Yeshua.

Scripture tells us, "Avove all else guard your hearts, for everything you do flows from it. (Prov 4:23) But how do we guard our hearts and keep the enemy from entering things into our thoughts and minds that are not of God? Well, we cannot keep the thoughts from entering, however, we can keep them from staying. The other night while laying in bed some thoughts began to fill my head that were causing depression. Suddenly I realized it and began to pray in tongues. Now I don't know about you, but I cannot pray in tongues and think of other things at the same time. I soon found that depression lifting and then I could not even remember what it was I was thinking that was causing the depression.

So, when we realize that Satan is trying to get a leeway into our mind, I advise speaking in your prayer language. If you don't have a prayer language yet, begin to praise God in your regular language. Thank Him for what he's delivered you from. Thank Him for sending His son to die on the cross for your sins, just thank Him, for everything He's done. Trust me, Satan does not want to create a situation that will cause you to praise God.

A lifestyle of praise is exactly the way to keep Satan from taking up residence in your thought life. A life of praise is not just singing and dancing before God but also a walking in obedience to what His word (both living and written) says and we cannot know what His word says unless we read it...all of it. (John 14:23; Prov 6:20; James 1:22; Prov 10:17 just to name a few)

It's a false doctrine that God is not the same today as he was yesterday...that the God of the Tenakh (OT) was mean and vindictive and concerned only with judgment, but the God of the New Testament is loving and caring. He's always been loving and caring. That is why He came up with the plan (before He even created man) to send His only begotten Son to die for the sins of the world, so that we would not be condemned to spiritually die but have everlasting life with Him. He's also not willing to put up with deliberate sin and as we see in the case of todays portion, the penalty for Ananias and Sapphira's sin was dealt with immediately, in a very drastic way.

Now we don't see (at least I've never seen it that I'm aware of) these types of things happen in our church meetings. How different our Christian walk might be if it did. Sometimes the "reaping of what we've sown is delayed" (I think it's God's mercy giving us time to repent and return to Him) I think though that we do begin to experience a "distancing" between us and God.

When we begin tp allow sin to rule and reign in our hearts He's still there, but with our disobedience, we push Him away and we are not aware of His presence as we once were. We can't hear the Holy Spirit as well as we once did. Every time we ignore His Holy Spirit trying to warn us and guide us we are pushing ourselves further and further away.

The best action is to not allow ourselves to get in this situation in the first place, but when we do: Repent and return to God.

Comments and Questions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Many Signs and Wonders Performed
Act 5:12-16

Through the apostles, signs and wonders continued to happen. They continued to meet at the Temple in Solomon's Portico, where Peter and the other disciples would teach Torah according to God. It says some of the people were afraid to meet with them out of fear (that Ananias and Sapphira thing really made them think) however the believers were held in high esteem. Not everyone was too afraid though because it says that many were being added to the faith on a regular basis...both men and women.

People were being healed as well. The sick were being brought into the steets in hopes that as hat as Peter walked by, his shadow passo over and heal them. Crowds were also gathering from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing those who were sick or tormented by demons.

And they were all healed.

What has happened within our faith in Yeshua that this does not seem to happen anymore? Oh, I know there are many TV personalities who claim to be used in healing people and I'm not saying they don't, but, I just don't see it in this magnitude, where ALL are healed. I've seen and read where a lot of people were healed, but I've never seen "All".

We don't see any of the apostles telling people the "reason" they did not get healed is because their faith is not big enough. You don't read any instructions from thlem on building their faith so that they get healed. We don't hear any of the apostles telling people they have to send in "seed money" as an act of faith for their healing. I think many of these "faith healers" need to take stock of their message in their teaching. Peoples attention is not being brought to Yeshua, but to the "faith healer". Just my opinion. Not applied to all but many.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in healing. I've received healing and friends of mine have received healing. I believe it's not God's will that any of His followers be sick, yet many of us are and many of us are seeking healing and don't see it happening. Why?

Some situations are just "life", like the man when the disciples asked Yeshua "was it his sin or his parents?" (John 9:2) and Yeshua answered, "Neither, it was for God's glory" (John 9:3). In this, we are to just keep putting our faith and trust in Yeshua and the wisdom of the Father and walking in His word as we understand.

Then there is other situations, where it's a sinful lifestyle that has brought on sickness and/or demonic torment. They may receive healing and deliverance, but if they continue on in their sinful ways, they just get sick again.

It sometimes seems that a sinful lifestyle has permeated congregations. Not saying at all that everyone who's sick sinned, just that everyone who's sick has been affected by the sins of the world and even when we come to Yeshua in faith many still reap some repercussions of a sinful world, especially if they continue on in a sinful lifestyle. Kind of like Ananias and Sapphira whose deceitful practices, likely from their past, continued on in their new life with Yeshua.

Comments and Questions

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Persecution of The Apostles
Act 5:17-42

Now we see that the High Priest and his council (from the sect of the Sadducees), were jealous of all the attention the disciples were getting. They arrested Peter and the other disciples (the scripture names Peter but not the others). They had them thrown into a public jail and would judge them the next day. However, sometime during the night an angel came and released them, led them out of the jail and then told them to go back to the Temple and continue teaching the message of Yeshua. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when that happened? I hope when we meet the disciples we get a step by step rundown of how that all went down.

I'd like to note that Solomon's Porch was a place where people were allowed to give speeches and teachings. Yeshua had taught from there, we've seen that the early church met there, that is where Ananias and Sapphira had their ending. The disciples did not just show up at a public place and block the businesses of the community. They did not set up podiums in the marketplace and block people just trying to do their daily chores. They went to the place set up for such and those who were interested came. The Holy Spirit drew those in who were supposed to hear. While any within hearing distance of the Portico could hear what was being said, the disciples, from what we can see in the scriptures, did not throw themselves at people and force them to listen.

Now the High Priests and Sanhedrin had told them to keep quiet regarding Yeshua. However, the law of the city allowed them the right to give their message in Solomons Porch. Also, wherever the disciples went God was using them, as Ge dud wutg the lame man healed, and it was he who was making the fuss and bringing attention to what had happened. After they healed him they continued walking to the Temple and he followed them. Just some things to think about.

So the Temple guards find the jail empty and nobody knows how they got out but somebody comes and tells them the disciples can be found preaching in the Temple. So the guards go get them but apparently the disciples came willingly because it says the guards did not force them out of fear of the people stoning them.

The disciples stood among the High Priests and Sanhedrin who asked them, "Didn't we tell you to stop talking about that man?". They said, "yes, but are we to oby you or God"? Then Peter took the opportunity to remind them of what they had done and what Yeshua had done and it was all to give repentance of sins to all Israel. The disciples were sent out while the High Priest and the Sanhedrin discussed what to do.

Of course, this made them furious and they wanted to kill the disciples but a Pharisee named Gamaliel stood and advised them that if they killed them they would quite likely cause the following to spread but if they left them alone they would just fall apart and he gave previous examples: Theudas and Judas of Galilee. The Priest and Sanhedrin took his council, flogged (a standard punishment, although they had broken no law) the disciples, then released them. It says the disciples left the presence of the council rejoicing that they had been considered worthy of being dishonored and publically shamed on behalf of the name of Yeshua. They went right back to teaching proclaiming the message of Messiah Yeshua.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Appointed for Service
Act 6:1-7

We do not know the time span that all of these "Acts of the Apostles" took place. All it says here is, "In those days when the disciples were multiplying" The Hellenists (Israelis who were nominally Jewish but had adopted Greek ways) complained against the believers because their widows were being neglected. So the twelve summoned the congregation together (another Bible version says they called the "multitude" together) and explained the situation to all of them. They explained that they (the twelve), should not be distracted with taking care of these needs of the widows because they had been called to teach the word of God. Caring for the widows was important, however, they were unable to do both.

This reasoning should never be used by any who "prefer" to be "top-dogs" and teach and preach before they have been assigned by God to do so. Too many people in the congregations want to do all the "top" and in the "lime-light" stuff and not start out serving others needs. We see here the "top-dogs" were doing it, but saw that it was keeping them from doing what Yeshua had assigned to them to do. I once saw a post on FB asking, "why are there so many 'Schools of Leadership' and no, 'Schools of Servantship"? Good question.

Delegating and assigning these duties does not mean that in some situations here and there, that the twelve did not "care" for others, just that it could not be something that took all their time away from prayer, study, and teaching. They asked the congregation to pick seven men from among them to make sure that things like making sure all was taken care of in regards to the widows. Serving their needs such as food, clothing, and other necessities provided by the congregation. They also handled financial and administrative matters.

These men were not to be just anyone, but men who were to be:

1. Approved men...approved by the congregation.
  2. Filled with the Spirit.
  3. Filled with wisdom.
Then they, the twelve could continue in prayer, study, and teaching. The request pleased everyone, which I find amazing with such a large congregation of people. They chose:
  1. Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit.
  2. Philip
  3. Prochoros
  4. Nicanor
  5. Timon
  6. Parmenas
  7. Nicolas, a proselyte (a non-Jew who had converted to Judaism) from Antioch.

The choices were agreeable to all, the Hebrew and the Greek speakers...all of those names are Greek names. These seven men were placed in front of the whole congregation and after praying they laid hands on them to send them forth in service.

In the Torah (The first five books in the Old Testament), laying on of hands is a symbolic act of transferring or giving an office and its duties and obligations with God's giving of His blessings and giftings needed for the work. The practice dates back to Moses' ordination of Joshua and of the seventy elders. (Num 11:16-17; 24-25; 27:18-23; Deut 34:9)

The word of God continued to spread and the number of followers grew. It says that even a great number of the kohanim (the priests) were becoming obedient to the faith. They began to live and teach according to what Torah actually taught.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
.The Arrest of Stephen
Act 6:8-15

Stephen was full of grace and power. While doing his duties of "serving" he was so full of the Holy Spirit that signs and wonders followed him. However, there were some from a group who called themselves, Synagogue of the Freedmen, they would get into debates with Stephen but could never win the debate. They could never stump him, he always had an answer Stephen knew his scriptures and he was full of the Holy Spirt who gave him the wisdom he needed to use the scriptures correctly.

The Synagogue of the Freedmen stirred up the people around by claiming they had heard Stephen speaking blasphemy against Moses and God. They stirred up the people, the elders, and the scribes in that they became an enraged mob and they rushed Stephen and forcibly took him to stand before the Sanhedrin.

Before getting to the Sanhedrin they devised lies about him and they set up false witnesses. We see a lot of that in todays world. "This man does not stop speaking messages against this place and Torah. We heard him say that this Yeshua of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs that Moses handed down to us". Those were lies born from misunderstandings. (See Luke 21:5-6; Mark 4:57-59)

Yeshua did not say that he personally would destroy the Temple he did correctly predict its destruction. When Yeshua referred to Temple, he was referring to his own body. Yeshua taught Torah is eternal (Matt 5:17) Oral traditions are the Scribel interpretation of the law. When Yeshua healed on the Sabbath, it was permissible. It was always permissible to do "good things". The local Scribes and Pharisees would know that but they were trying to trap him. This "un-schooled" (did not attend a fancy Rabbinic school) Rabbi Yeshua, knew his stuff and knew their hearts.

So, even though Stephen was full of the Holy Spirit, the outside world misunderstand and twisted things in a way they were not intended. So while it's good and wise to say things in the best way possible, even when the words are perfect they can be misconstrued by those who are not filled with the Holy Spirit.

Don't be discouraged when your words are taken out of context and twisted all up into what you did not intend. Learn better ways to say things as needed, but don't get down about it. Ipeople did it to Yeshua, and Stephen people will do it to all of us who are disciples of Yeshua. Continue being filled with the Holy Spirit (Gal 5:16), spend time in the presence of the Father and study His word.

All those on the Sanhedrin, while watching Stephen saw his face shining as if it were an angel.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Stephen's Speech
Act 7:1-53

Stephen speaks the same way that Peter did. He refers to them as brothers and fathers. Stephen is a fellow Jew and one of the family. In his speech, which is a history lesson of the Jews, he refutes all the false charges. Referring to the God of Glory he is refuting the charge of blasphemy. Speaking of Moses he references him as a prophet and miracle worker and receiving his message directly from God. Regarding the Temple, Stephen pointed out that it was the people who wanted a dwelling place for God. One that was more than the Tent of Metting which originally authorized by God in Torah. The Temple building had become what the people worshipped, not God Himself.

Here are several of the points Stephen touched upon:

• The God of Glory (Ps 29:3)
  • God told Abraham, you must now leave your country (Gen 11:31-12:1)
  • Gods promise to give it to him for a possession (Gen 12:7; 13:15)
  • They will come out and worship God in that place (Gen 15:13-14; Ex 3:12)
  • God gave covenant of circumcision (Gen 17:10-14)
  • The story of Joseph (Gen 37:5-49:26)
  • A new king who did not know Joseph (Ex 1:7-8)
  • The story of Moses through his education in Egypt and fleeing (Ex 1:11-2:25)
  • The story of Moses and burning bush (Ex 3:2-3)
  • I AM the God of Abraham, Isaa, and Jacob (Ex 3:15)
  • I AM sending you to Egypt (Ex 3:4-10)
  • Moses said God will raise up a prophet (Deut 18:15)
  • The people had a golden calf made (Ex 32:1,23)
  • God gave them over as the prophets said. Stephen quotes (Ams5:25-27)
  • They had the Tent of Meeting in the desert (Ex 27:21)
  • Solomon built a house for God but God does not swell in a place made by human hands and then Stephen quotes from Isiah 66:1-2.
Stephen ends his speech by saying, "O you stiff-necked people! You uncircumcised of heart and ears! You always resist the Ruach ha-Kodesh; just as your fathers did, you do as well. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? They killed the ones who foretold the coming of the Righteous One. Now you have become His betrayers and murderers— you who received the Torah by the direction of angels and did not keep it!”

God had made a promise and God had sent many prophets to show Israel the way, but a majority in Israel had refused to honor them. It was not all of Israel though. Many of the people had listened to the Prophets and were trusting God for the salvation He had promised.

Comments and Questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.