• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Texas to cut HIV prevention funds to Planned Parenthood facility

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SepiaAndDust, Dec 23, 2015.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,707
    Agnostic
    Single
    Not really... especially since the law makes no such distinction.

2. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+6,035
    Christian
    okayyyyy....I guess I should have said "juvenile female"

3. farout

farout Standing firm for Christ

+849
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican

The epidemic of HIV is no longer in just same sex partners. Now innocent married people, children and many other have HIV. If Texas cuts funding them Texas will soon have a huge problem. Putting ones head in the sand will only get sand in the eyes. My advice is contact those who voted against the funding and ask them to reconsider and then call for a revote. This takes work, are you up to it?

4. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+6,035
    Christian
    The funding is for testing in Planned Parenthood facilities in the Houston area. The county provides the same plus more areas as planned parenthood. Testing isn't going away, they just are not renewing the grant on where they are going to give this money. Planned parenthood can still offer the service, just not at the taxpayers expense.

5. SepiaAndDust

SepiaAndDust There's a FISH in the percolator

+1,306
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Me? Naw, I don't live in Texas anymore. Forty years was quite enough, thank you very much.

6. KitKatMatt

KitKatMatt stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    Glad you escaped!

7. patricius79

patricius79 Called to Jesus Through Mary

+352
    Christian
    Married
    I think that--if I remember right-- Planned Parenthood performed more than 327,600 abortions in 2014 alone.

What does Planned Parenthood do that can't be done by authentic health-care providers?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  8. KitKatMatt

KitKatMatt stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    Somehow insinuating that Planned Parenthood isn't an "authentic" healthcare provider?

9. SepiaAndDust

+1,306
    Christian
    In Relationship
    That was answered in the first few pages of this thread.

10. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+1,836
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    It is preventative, not for that particular patient, but for other people. If I am in a monogamous relationship, and wish to stop using condoms, and understand there's a risk that I or my partner have HIV, we get tested. If one of us happens to test positive, then we keep using condoms and probably take additional steps to prevent transmission. A person knowing they are HIV positive is an incredibly important part of preventing the spread of the disease.

Sure, in a perfect world, we'd all be abstinent until we met that one person and never have sex with more than one person and nobody would ever engage in risky behavior that would expose them to something like HIV, but we don't live in that world.

ETA: When I was in college I wanted to get an HIV test, but did not want to use my insurance to get it as then my parents would know I got tested. I also really didn't have the money to get tested. PP provided me with a free test. I could have gotten tested by a couple different organizations, but all they really did was partner with PP to do testing at different locations.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  11. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,702
    Presbyterian
    Single
    MOD HAT ON

There were some inappropriate personal comments earlier in the thread, and a whole subthread on a completely irrelevant topic. A thread cleanup has been done to remove those comments and responses to them. Please make sure postings are focused on the issues, and not on other posters or groups with which you disagree.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. patricius79

+352
    Christian
    Married
    It sounds like the federal funding will just go to other providers rather than a particular Planned Parenthood affiliate which makes money by killing babies.

13. Uncle Siggy

Uncle Siggy Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information

+2,727
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Weren't there over 1 million abortions in the US in 2014???

14. patricius79

+352
    Christian
    Married
    That sounds about right. My understanding is that Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion business in the U.S., but they by no means provide all the abortions that are done in the U.S.

15. SepiaAndDust

+1,306
    Christian
    In Relationship
    The CDC reports just under 700,000 in 2014.

16. SepiaAndDust

+1,306
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Providers who can't handle the load.

Aborting fetuses, you mean. S'ok... easy mistake to make.

17. Uncle Siggy

+2,727
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Link???

18. Uncle Siggy

+2,727
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The CDC hasn't done a survey in a couple of years and only get results from 47-49 states which gives them the 700,000 or so figure... If you take into consideration the other 3 states CA, NH, and MD like Guttmacher does then the total is over 1 million per year...

Almost 1/3rd of the total abortions coming from 3 states is one heck of a lot, BTA if you take the political atmosphere there into consideration it makes sense...

19. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,707
    Agnostic
    Single
    Wouldn't actual facts be preferable?

20. classicalhero

classicalhero Junior Member

+398
    Baptist
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    Even the CDC say that homosexual men are the largest growing group in the US getting AIDS. That clearly contradicts what you said. Quite frankly in Western nations AIDS is a gay disease.