Tennessee Declines Federal Funding for HIV/AIDS Testing, Prevention and Treatment

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Tennessee Department of Health says it will no longer accept federal grant money to prevent or treat HIV.

In an email reviewed by NBC News, the Department of Health told certain nonprofit organizations that provide these services that the state would turn down the federal funding as of June, relying only on state funds afterward. "It is in the best interest of Tennesseans for the State to assume direct financial and managerial response for these services," the email read.

When asked for comment by NBC News, a spokesperson for the Department of Health said that "the letter speaks for itself."

An estimated 20,000 people in Tennessee are living with HIV, though not all would be affected by the cuts. There was no further guidance on how the state planned to fund such programs on its own.

---

Why would anyone give up free money* to help save lives? Because they are pro-life of course.

According to a letter from Planned Parenthood, Tennessee’s Department of Health in November alerted the organization that it would no longer receive HIV prevention grants starting in 2023, as well as warn that the state was terminating its partnership with Planned Parenthood to provide HIV testing.

* (i.e. money appropriated by the federal government for this purpose)

Last edited:

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not free money. It comes from tax payers.
It's also bound to come with strings attached, as all such money does. That's simply the nature of things. Even accepting money for a loan from a private source comes with conditions of repayment. The question then is what are the requirements for programs that accept Federal money for HIV?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The tensions in Tennessee began in the fall, when Republican Gov. Bill Lee voiced disapproval of two HIV grant recipients spotlighted in conservative media — a task force on transgender health issues and Planned Parenthood. The conflict escalated late last week when the state announced that after May 31, it would no longer accept any money from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing, prevention and surveillance of HIV.

State officials said they would continue to support HIV testing and prevention but would focus on first responders, victims of human trafficking and mothers and children. In contrast, the federal program prioritizes men who have sex with men and transgender people, particularly in communities of color, who are at greatest risk of HIV, according to federal surveillance data.

“It’s pretty hard not to think that part of the motivation is to restrict funding to groups we don’t like and don’t want to support,” said Wayne Smith, who runs a faith-based HIV prevention program in Knoxville that will lose about $10,000 for testing each year.

Even before Tennessee’s decision, there had been other signs of a splintering of the bipartisan coalition supporting federal HIV surveillance and prevention policies.

In Texas, religious employers brought a suit arguing they shouldn’t have to pay for HIV-prevention drugs that are mandated by the Affordable Care Act, and in September, a federal judge sided with them, citing the right to religious freedom. And in West Virginia, state and local officials imposed new barriers on sterile-syringe programs targeted at reducing the spread of HIV

It was President George W. Bush who signed legislation in 2003 authorizing Pepfar, or the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, which some have described as the most effective government effort ever to address a global disease outbreak.

President Donald Trump continued that tradition in his 2019 State of the Union address, announcing an initiative to stop new HIV infections in the United States by 2030.
Some of the funds coming to Tennessee had in fact been authorized under Trump’s plan, which concentrated resources on 50 “hot spots,” including Shelby County, that are leading the country in new infections.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The tensions in Tennessee began in the fall, when Republican Gov. Bill Lee voiced disapproval of two HIV grant recipients spotlighted in conservative media — a task force on transgender health issues and Planned Parenthood. The conflict escalated late last week when the state announced that after May 31, it would no longer accept any money from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing, prevention and surveillance of HIV.

State officials said they would continue to support HIV testing and prevention but would focus on first responders, victims of human trafficking and mothers and children. In contrast, the federal program prioritizes men who have sex with men and transgender people, particularly in communities of color, who are at greatest risk of HIV, according to federal surveillance data.

“It’s pretty hard not to think that part of the motivation is to restrict funding to groups we don’t like and don’t want to support,” said Wayne Smith, who runs a faith-based HIV prevention program in Knoxville that will lose about $10,000 for testing each year.

Even before Tennessee’s decision, there had been other signs of a splintering of the bipartisan coalition supporting federal HIV surveillance and prevention policies.

In Texas, religious employers brought a suit arguing they shouldn’t have to pay for HIV-prevention drugs that are mandated by the Affordable Care Act, and in September, a federal judge sided with them, citing the right to religious freedom. And in West Virginia, state and local officials imposed new barriers on sterile-syringe programs targeted at reducing the spread of HIV

It was President George W. Bush who signed legislation in 2003 authorizing Pepfar, or the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, which some have described as the most effective government effort ever to address a global disease outbreak.

President Donald Trump continued that tradition in his 2019 State of the Union address, announcing an initiative to stop new HIV infections in the United States by 2030.
Some of the funds coming to Tennessee had in fact been authorized under Trump’s plan, which concentrated resources on 50 “hot spots,” including Shelby County, that are leading the country in new infections.

I don't understand the argument that there is a "religious" objection to paying for medical interventions that could save people lives. From my perspective, it is a non-sequitur.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand the argument that there is a "religious" objection to paying for medical interventions that could save people lives. From my perspective, it is a non-sequitur.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that - is there any way to distinguish between a person/political preference and a religious belief?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, I've been thinking about that - is there any way to distinguish between a person/political preference and a religious belief?

I was thinking from a different perspective: most world religions I know of believe in helping people. Letting people die from AIDS is not helping behavior.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It’s not free money. It comes from tax payers.
And the lives saved and improved through treatment and prevention of diseases like HIV and AIDS will generate far more money in the long term.

Along with, you know, improving people's lives.

I don't understand this chain of thought that leads to the mentality that dollars saved are more important than lives saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Now, [Tennessee] GOP lawmakers are talking about cutting off nearly $1.8 billion in federal education dollars — much of it targeted to serve low-income students, English learners and students with disabilities.
The "I got mine, for mine" mentality that these lawmakers have is just horrid.

That one Scrooge quote always comes to mind with this callous moves like this... "Decrease the surplus population" seems to be something these people view as a guideline, rather than something abhorrent.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The "I got mine, for mine" mentality that these lawmakers have is just horrid.

That one Scrooge quote always comes to mind with this callous moves like this... "Decrease the surplus population" seems to be something these people view as a guideline, rather than something abhorrent.

There's a reason Social Darwinism was embrace by a certain kind of Victorian that favored laisez-faire economic policy skewed towards the interests of robber barons. Darwin's ideas were influenced by his father Erasmus, who in turn was influenced by Thomas Malthus, a moralistic English clergyman who cast a cold, discerning gaze on humanity. Scrooge was in this vein.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

So restricting medical care to some folks is a thing now in America (apart from just restricting it from poor folks)?

• Wow
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So restricting medical care to some folks is a thing now in America (apart from just restricting it from poor folks)?

For some Republicans, healthcare is a sacred thing that the government shouldn't intrude upon. Patients should be free to choose what's right for them in consultation with their insurance company's billing department.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And the lives saved and improved through treatment and prevention of diseases like HIV and AIDS will generate far more money in the long term.

Along with, you know, improving people's lives.

I don't understand this chain of thought that leads to the mentality that dollars saved are more important than lives saved.
I can use some more guns for protection of my home. Can I get tax money for that?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can use some more guns for protection of my home. Can I get tax money for that?
That says it all. What a beautiful illustration of priorities - one wants essential healthcare those in need while the other wants a rebate for his guns.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That says it all. What a beautiful illustration of priorities - one wants essential healthcare those in need while the other wants a rebate for his guns.
For protection. Why are you against me protecting my family? They don’t hate you, or anything.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
For protection. Why are you against me protecting my family? They don’t hate you, or anything.
Why have lethal fire power when (ostensively) following the Prince of Peace?

• Winner
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How dare you accuse me of being against you protecting your family!

I honestly never thought they might hate me - - - until you brought it up. How are you raising them?

• Winner
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0