• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Texas to cut HIV prevention funds to Planned Parenthood facility

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SepiaAndDust, Dec 23, 2015.

1. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,798
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Keep in mind, with this topic that the state ( any state can cut funding that does not mean that the things cannot still be there only that the state will not help.

For example, several years ago the governor of Georgia cut funding to education by ten days. That is that we only provide funding for 180 and days over 190 ( usually ten of which were planning days, anyway. HOWEVER, if a school wished to keep the teacher salaries at 190 days that was fine. It was just on the district to provide the money. Same applies even if Texas cuts particular funding the counties and cities that feel strongly about it can STILL have such programs either by THEIR funds and/or private funds. ALL Texas is saying is that they will not help as a state.

2. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+6,035
    Christian
    Ummm....testing for the virus is NOT a prevention program....it is a diagnostic program for a infection already present.

A prevention program would include information about abstinence or monogamous relationships (not serial monogamy but real monogamy).

3. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    ...vaccine?

4. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+6,035
    Christian
    fixed the post ... misread it the first time and thought it was about HPV...that is what I get for posting when coming off a 12 hour shift. Both are significant concerns...but diagnosing existing cases is NOT and never will be a "prevention" program. It doesn't matter if it is HIV, HPV, or Hep C or even the flu...once it is identified, it is a treatment program and a maybe a containment program.

5. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Because I'm Catholic, pro-life, and follow the advice of the USCCB on the issue.

6. Armoured

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    If you're pro life, how does defunding a life saving service strike you as a good thing?

7. Armoured

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    OK. Makes more sense.

8. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    There are other service providers that don't provide abortions.

9. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+2,543
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Or that can be their sneaky way. Not have to fund any money for these testing.

10. SepiaAndDust

SepiaAndDust There's a FISH in the percolator

+1,306
    Christian
    In Relationship
    And you're OK if people go untested and untreated for diseases unrelated to abortion?

11. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  12. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+2,543
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    If a clinic doesn't provide abortion, then they send a patient to one that does. Or someone can look up a place that does abortions. Why do people seemed to believe planned parent hoods the only place that provides abortions. If I was going to abort. I would just find a place to abort.

13. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    Except Texas has voter ID laws designed to prevent minorities from voting. And here is an interesting twist. A gun permit is considered an adequate ID for voting purposes but not a student ID or even a government employee ID. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-law-found-to-discriminate-against-minorities

14. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    And the Church says people shouldn't be tested for HIV at a clinic which performs abortions?

15. Armoured

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    That we don't know are going to receive the funding instead.

16. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    No, that's why they should set it up with other service providers, which the article suggests is what is happening.

17. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    That's because a gun ID is issued by the state and requires an FBI background check, plus a photo on the ID. At least in my state it does, not sure about Texas. A student ID, on the other hand, is issued by the particular college and may not meet the requirements of a valid for of ID for government purposes, eg no proof of who you are to obtain it, or no photo on the ID, etc.

My states voter ID law accepts drivers license, state issued ID, military ID, passport or visa, and concealed carry permit. Failing to have one of those will result in you voting on a provisional ballot and having to go to the county clerk's office within a certain number of days (forgot how many) after the election in order for you ballot to count.

18. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    They say the state should cut ties with PP.

19. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    The article said it was going to the Department of Health. Don't know about Texas, but ours does those kinds of screenings. It's their job.

20. SepiaAndDust

SepiaAndDust There's a FISH in the percolator

+1,306
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Which brings us back to the local providers being overwhelmed, which has a direct impact on how many people get tested. People who don't get tested don't get treated.

Real people will really suffer and really die and really spread diseases as an unavoidable result of this fruitcake decision.