• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Texas to cut HIV prevention funds to Planned Parenthood facility

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SepiaAndDust, Dec 23, 2015.

1. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,618
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    People are free to dislike any type of person they want, as long as they're not passing laws that restrict everyone else based on their personal dislikes, I have no issues.

I, personally, would prefer to have someone hate me a person but respect my rights rather than the other way around.

2. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    Have you never been a college student? They always have photos on their IDs. You don't get admitted to a university if they don't know who you are. You have to submit things like high school transcripts, etc. And for a government ID it has to be established that your citizen status has to be determined.

And poor people who can't hardly put gas in their car (assuming they have one) are unlikely to do this. Which is precisely why they are passing these laws. If it was to prevent voter fraud they would put more restrictions on absentee ballots which is where the majority of frauds occur. But they don't do that because those votes go conservative.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  3. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    Hey, I love Austin. But the rest of Texas doesn't.

4. Sistrin

Sistrin We are such stuff as dreams are made on... Supporter

+2,980
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And no one other than PP does?

That is the La Raza line.

5. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    And they gave them 600K in additional funds to do this?

Somehow I doubt it.

6. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,121
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Does Planned Parenthood even have on-site laboratories to run the blood tests or do they send the blood samples to independent labs? If the latter, how would allocating the funds elsewhere make slightest difference? The samples will be going to the same place anyway.

If it has sufficient funds, there's no reason why it wouldn't.

7. craigerNY

craigerNY I bring nothing to the table

+355
    Agnostic
    Single
    At the PP here the HIV test is a mouth swab, everything is conducted on site and the individual tested has results before they even leave the facility.

8. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    LOL. Teaching at university equates to hating America? We don't hate America, we just know our history.

9. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,618
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Dallas had a pretty progressive vibe too when I was there on certain things.

...and as noted earlier, 40% of the people in the state are democrats, over 40% of the people in the state voted for Obama. I think the "rest of Texas doesn't" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Often times people fall in the trap of projecting the attributes of east Texas onto the entire state.

You seem to find these notions that "In Texas, everyone's packing a gun, and there's a bunch of racists down there".

I think it would surprise many to learn that notion is a bit misplaced.
    https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u..._offense_type_by_participating_state_2013.xls

Texas has one of the lower hate crime rates in the nation.

...and the one that will surprise a lot of people I'm sure
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Texas is only 30th (didn't even make the top half) for gun ownership rate, and are one of only 4 states that explicitly forbid the open carry of handguns believe it or not
    (only 17th in terms of gun homicides).

And according to NARAL (a pro-choice org), Texas is only ranked 14th in terms of states with the strictest abortion laws.

So, while I can understand people disliking certain states based on certain policies and social cultures, it seems like for all of the reasons given for why people dislike Texas, there are other states they should be targeting first when it comes to each of those reasons.

10. smaneck

smaneck Baha'i

+2,934
    Baha'i
    Single
    Texas will in fact turn Democrat in twenty years because of the changing demographics. But that's what these Voter ID laws are all about, to keep them away from the polls.

There is no 'down there' when it comes to Texas for me. I live in Mississippi. What I do see are things like what the Texas Board of Education has done to insist that history be limited to 'heritage conveyance', the idiots they elect as governors, and the corruption in local governments.

11. Uncle Siggy

Uncle Siggy Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information

+2,727
    Non-Denom
    Private
    That has been happening for a very long time "the winners" rewrite history to suit their agenda, I.E. make themselves look better than they actually are...

12. KitKatMatt

KitKatMatt stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    Oh, I totally forgot that I have experience with the Texas state run health clinics that provide testing and birth control!

My gynecologist no longer accepted my insurance, so I couldn't visit her to renew my birth control prescription, which I need because of PCOS and terrible pain and nausea that keeps me from even leaving the house for about three weeks out of the month. Basically, I need it to FUNCTION.

So I went to a local state clinic to see if I could get birth control. The lady at the desk was happy to help so she asked me what day was good for my appointment... in three months. They are so swamped that they are taking appointments for three months later. Three months that I could NOT do without my birth control, because I'd be missing so much work from being sick that I'd probably be fired.

This was after the only other clinic (not state run) was shut down due to the crazy and impossible abortion standards were passed. This other clinic had much quicker service, and reduced the workload of the state clinic by taking some of the patients off their hands.

So go ahead and tell me how stripping funding from Planned Parenthood is a good idea.

13. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+6,002
    Christian
    Umm...did you try calling a different doctor's office since you did have insurance? And how is not funding HIV testing (not a preventive activity) have anything to do with your ability to get birth control meds?

14. Blondepudding

Blondepudding Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?

+604
    Ignostic
    Married
    Nothing broadcasts respect for life like cutting HIV prevention funds to PP.
    :doh:

15. KitKatMatt

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    No one around who took my insurance plan was accepting new patients. I finally got my prescription from my primary care doctor even though he did not want to give it to me.

I was going to have to wait three months to see a doctor to write me a script. How long were other people going to have to wait for their medication, their doctor visits, neonatal screenings, or their STD testing? The whole point is that this state clinic was completely overwhelmed by the needs of the people they served, to the point of making people wait months to get essential medication.

By removing funding from other clinics to do HIV testing, the work load is being pushed onto already struggling state clinics. How is this helping at all?

16. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    B-b-but... Planned Parenthood! Baby parts videos!

17. KitKatMatt

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    :noooo:

18. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
  19. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+6,002
    Christian

Try to get prenatal care at a Planned Parenthood, in spite of the name. Maybe the state clinics could provide more services if they got the funding that the state is giving to Planned Parenthood. Does Planned Parenthood provide treatment for HIV positive patients or just diagnose them and give them a few condoms and say "be careful".

20. KitKatMatt

+1,562
    Agnostic
    Single
    I agree that we should be pouring a LOT more funds towards STD prevention and treatment across the board (for state run clinics, Planned Parenthood, and all other clinics that offer these services).

However, nothing else really has anything to do with them cutting funding and making the workload even worse for the remaining clinics.