✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My son went to college in Cedar Hill. :thumbsup:

I was born in Fort Worth, have always lived in the D/FW area, but if I had my druthers . . . . I'd live near some mountains. :sorry:

Mary

Uh... was it Northwood University? I love Fort Worth. It's different from Dallas. More relaxed and to me a kind of down home feel. Do you agree? When we were moving from Duncanville to Cedar Hill, I wished we could have moved to Ft. Worth. But jobs and all made that impossible.

I remember when my kids were little taking them to Austin, they were in total awe of the hills. The highest thing they had ever seen was the Ship Channel Bridge on 610.

Yeah? I still haven't made it there yet. What area did you go see? I'd love to do something like that. The hill country is beautiful (I've seen pictures ;) ) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Uh... was it Northwood University? I've lived here all my life too. I love Fort Worth. It's different from Dallas. More relaxed and to me a kind of down home feel. Do you agree? When we were moving from Duncanville to Cedar Hill, I wished we could have moved to Ft. Worth. But jobs and all made that impossible.

Yes, Northwood. He had a baseball scholarship there. It's a lovely campus, but no one's ever heard of it. :)

I completely agree with you about the difference between Fort Worth and Dallas. It's a totally different feel. I much prefer Fort Worth, but as you said, our "life" is in Dallas.

Mary

Upvote 0

BustedFlat

All Glory goes to God
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2007
Houston Texas
Visit site
✟49,791.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lake Travis is beautiful, A friend here at work has a weekend place up there. A trip to the Legislature is worth a day, and if you take the time and take the back roads from Austin to San Antonio it is a wonderful drive, lots to see and visit, Johnson City, LBJ Ranch, Blanco, Guadalupe River State Park and on and on. Well worth spending some time in the Hill Country.

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, Northwood. He had a baseball scholarship there. It's a lovely campus, but no one's ever heard of it. :)

I completely agree with you about the difference between Fort Worth and Dallas. It's a totally different feel. I much prefer Fort Worth, but as you said, our "life" is in Dallas.

Mary

Hey, that's cool. I know the baseball coach from there. He lives across the street from me, lol! I don't know if he was the coach when your son was there, but it's still pretty cool. How long ago did you son attend? I've never actually been to the campus, but I may go back to school some day and I might want check it out. I just had no idea what kind of college it was. Yeah, the two cities are like "sister" cities, but they really couldn't be more opposite. I'd prefer Fort Worth too. Oh well, who knows? Maybe someday.

Lake Travis is beautiful, A friend here at work has a weekend place up there. A trip to the Legislature is worth a day, and if you take the time and take the back roads from Austin to San Antonio it is a wonderful drive, lots to see and visit, Johnson City, LBJ Ranch, Blanco, Guadalupe River State Park and on and on. Well worth spending some time in the Hill Country.

Cool. Sounds nice. I'll have to write that down and check it out. That's something I've always wanted to do. I gotta start planning a trip there. :)

Upvote 0

sinneD

Jan 21, 2007
Dallas, Texas
✟15,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Northwood. He had a baseball scholarship there. It's a lovely campus, but no one's ever heard of it.

My son wanted to go to Northwood, but unfortunatley we couldn't afford it (no scholarships here:cry: ) . We did go out to the campus and took the tour. Nice place, but expensive.

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My son wanted to go to Northwood, but unfortunatley we couldn't afford it (no scholarships here:cry: ) . We did go out to the campus and took the tour. Nice place, but expensive.

Really? Wow, that uck-says. I've never been there before, so I don't know much about it. All I do know is that I pass by it all time on FM 1382 and see the sign as I zoom by, lol ^_^ !

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My son went to college in Cedar Hill. :thumbsup:

I was born in Fort Worth, have always lived in the D/FW area, but if I had my druthers . . . . I'd live near some mountains. :sorry:

Mary
Yep, this area leaves somewhat to be desired in the scenery aspect. :sigh: But the weather was beautiful today! :) I took my children to the playground today - a slight chill to the wind, but still quite nice. Too bad it will get cold and wet again tomorrow or Thurs.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hey, that's cool. I know the baseball coach from there. He lives across the street from me, lol! I don't know if he was the coach when your son was there, but it's still pretty cool. How long ago did you son attend? I've never actually been to the campus, but I may go back to school some day and I might want check it out. I just had no idea what kind of college it was. Yeah, the two cities are like "sister" cities, but they really couldn't be more opposite. I'd prefer Fort Worth too. Oh well, who knows? Maybe someday.

My son finished his 4 years of scholarship (20 hrs short of graduation :sorry: ) in 2003, and his coach left the next year, I think. I haven't been back or met the new coach. I think he's a lot younger though.

Really? Wow, that uck-says. I've never been there before, so I don't know much about it. All I do know is that I pass by it all time on FM 1382 and see the sign as I zoom by, lol ^_^ !

It's Business/Marketing college. It's not a liberal arts kind of place. But if you want a BA or whatever, it's good. I'm not sure if they have Graduate programs or not. :scratch:

Mary

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My son finished his 4 years of scholarship (20 hrs short of graduation :sorry: ) in 2003, and his coach left the next year, I think. I haven't been back or met the new coach. I think he's a lot younger though.

It's Business/Marketing college. It's not a liberal arts kind of place. But if you want a BA or whatever, it's good. I'm not sure if they have Graduate programs or not. :scratch:

Mary

Yeah, he is. In fact, he just go married not long ago. His name is Todd, but you said that you haven't met the new coach so I doubt that name is familiar (but I thought I'd mention it if it was). I went to their web site. I like that they have a chapel. I didn't know that. From 1382 you can't really see what their campus looks like. It almost looks like the entrance to the state park. It sounds like a good college. I would really like to take some more writting classes though. Don't know if they have those or not. But thanks for the info. :)

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yep, this area leaves somewhat to be desired in the scenery aspect. :sigh: But the weather was beautiful today! :) I took my children to the playground today - a slight chill to the wind, but still quite nice. Too bad it will get cold and wet again tomorrow or Thurs.

Yeah, I know. But...we have Joe Pool Lake? I mean, hey what a big lake? Okay, that's pretty lame but there are nice things to do like the state park and the Dallas Arboreateum. So, that's nice.

I'm not looking forward to 47 degree weather, but if the forecast is correct, Monday looks good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I know. But...we have Joe Pool Lake? I mean, hey what a big lake? Okay, that's pretty lame but there are nice things to do like the state park and the Dallas Arboreateum. So, that's nice.

I'm not looking forward to 47 degree weather, but if the forecast is correct, Monday looks good.
Did you know that there is only one natural lake in the whole state of Texas? It is Caddo lake which is on the Texas/Louisiana border. All of the rest of the lakes in Texas are man made.
The climate of Texas used to be a lot drier.
We have changed the climate by making so many lakes.
About 60 years ago or so, they used to be able to use swamp cooler type air conditioning systems in north texas, but the climate is now too humid for such systems to work.
And people wonder what is wrong when we have a few years of drought and have to conserve our water usage.
:doh:

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Did you know that there is only one natural lake in the whole state of Texas? It is Caddo lake which is on the Texas/Louisiana border. All of the rest of the lakes in Texas are man made.
The climate of Texas used to be a lot drier.
We have changed the climate by making so many lakes.
About 60 years ago or so, they used to be able to use swamp cooler type air conditioning systems in north texas, but the climate is now too humid for such systems to work.
And people wonder what is wrong when we have a few years of drought and have to conserve our water usage.
:doh:

*choking. What ?! Oh wow. I had no idea. That's...that's horrible. I really didn't know that there was only one natural lake here. And I really didn't know that other part either. I can't imagine a drier Texas. That just blows my mind, lol! Yeah, we mess with the natural order of things and like you said, we wonder why things are screwing up. Duh :doh: ! How sad. :(

Upvote 0

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We used to have one of those "swamp coolers" when I was a kid. I loved sleeping with that soft whirring sound it made.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Can you please tell me what "swamp cooler" is ? lol ^_^

I've never heard of that. :)

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It was a big ol' window unit that had a fan on the back to draw in air, and you put water in the bottom of the unit, which cooled the air, and the air cooled the room. But they did add to the humidity, and they were pretty ugly looking, too. ^_^

swampcooler.jpg

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TexasBluebonnet

Feb 27, 2007
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It was a big ol' window unit that had a fan on the back to draw in air, and you put water in the bottom of the unit, which cooled the air, and the air cooled the room. But they did add to the humidity, and they were pretty ugly looking, too. ^_^

swampcooler.jpg

Mary

Wow! That's very cool! Thanks for sharing. I remember my grandmother talk about something that used big blocks of ice? Is that right? That was pretty neat. Thanks for sharing it! I liked the pic too. :)

Upvote 0

godismyabba

Bondservant of the Most High God
Dec 26, 2007
Lost in Space
✟17,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ya'll is a word and it should always be used when referring to a group of people! :D
I am not sure what it's spanish equivalent is though, so when speaking to a spanish speaking group of people in Tx, just say Hola! Ya'll. :)

Only a true Texan knows the difference between y'all (singular, talking about a group of people as one) and all y'alls (plural possessive) and y'all all (plural, referring to a group of people as individuals)...I was born and raised in Big Spring but have shamed myself and my family by living in New Mexico for the last 17 years. I LOVE East Texas. We were just there for a business trip and stayed in Henderson. It is so pretty there, trees and everything. If we could get transferred to Tyler, I would be there in a heartbeat!!!
Melissa

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only a true Texan knows the difference between y'all (singular, talking about a group of people as one) and all y'alls (plural possessive) and y'all all (plural, referring to a group of people as individuals)...I was born and raised in Big Spring but have shamed myself and my family by living in New Mexico for the last 17 years. I LOVE East Texas. We were just there for a business trip and stayed in Henderson. It is so pretty there, trees and everything. If we could get transferred to Tyler, I would be there in a heartbeat!!!
Melissa
on the sign outside my daughter's high school it currently says something like "congrats to the girls v-ball team - y'all did a great job!"

Upvote 0