✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

The Texas Republican party has endorsed legislation that would allow state residents to vote whether to secede from the United States.

In a talkshow interview, the party chair, Allen West, argued that: “Texans have a right to voice their opinions on [this] critical issue.

West is the latest Republican to come out in support of declaring Texas an independent nation. Last month, thestate representative Kyle Biedermann confirmed that he will introduce the bill for a referendum as early as this week.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LINK

The Texas Republican party has endorsed legislation that would allow state residents to vote whether to secede from the United States.

In a talkshow interview, the party chair, Allen West, argued that: “Texans have a right to voice their opinions on [this] critical issue.

West is the latest Republican to come out in support of declaring Texas an independent nation. Last month, thestate representative Kyle Biedermann confirmed that he will introduce the bill for a referendum as early as this week.
Oh great! Then Peaches the Wall would have to be relocated...Will Texans pay for it?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
As I said earlier about this: bye Felicia!

Wait, take Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama with you. No Give backs.

Wait, no Alabama! My girlfriend's family has a family home there dating back to from before the civil war. Already have fond memories of it and I have only been there two times!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh great! Then Peaches the Wall would have to be relocated...Will Texans pay for it?

Nope it’s our’s now. Ya’ll don’t come round here tresspassin, everybody knows what us Texans do to trespassers.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wait, no Alabama! My girlfriend's family has a family home there dating back to from before the civil war. Already have fond memories of it and I have only been there two times!
Don't worry, I am sure they will be begging for foreign visitors and capital in short order.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nope it’s our’s now. Ya’ll don’t come round here tresspassin, everybody knows what us Texans do to trespassers.

Yes indeedy.

main-qimg-77a45b71821b9ffb62ac5213cca4b538

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LINK

I've heard this so many times. Like in the 1980s, the 1990s, the 2000s... And...well, I remember when a kid too, so that puts the 70s in also. It's just over and over. It's part of Texas identity, I guess to talk about succeeding and how once we were an independent nation, and we fly our flag on level with the U.S. flag, like an equal nation.

It's practically a perennial thing in Texas (my native state where I lived about 27 years; and I still think of myself as a native, though we moved out of state).

So...don't hold your breath on that one.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
LINK

Sure Texans have a right to voice their opinions. Doesn't mean their opinion is worth squat though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've heard this so many times. Like in the 1980s, the 1990s, the 2000s... And...well, I remember when a kid too, so that puts the 70s in also. It's just over and over. It's part of Texas identity, I guess to talk about succeeding and how once we were an independent nation, and we fly our flag on level with the U.S. flag, like an equal nation.

It's practically a perennial thing in Texas (my native state where I lived about 27 years; and I still think of myself as a native, though we moved out of state).

So...don't hold your breath on that one.
It's the US Quebecker problem.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No way. Idaho is too awesome. What other state is shaped (roughly) like a battle axe?
Yeah, but they seem to have a lot of secessionists or used to...however, I see that the Citadel never took off.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
How exactly does Texas plan to survive financially if they do this? They have no state income tax (state constitution actually forbids it). They’ll have to make up the gap from lack of federal dollars coming in. Now, the residents of Texas wouldn’t be paying federal income tax anymore so Texas could try to recoup that but I have a feeling a lot of residents would burn up a dummy of any politician who tries that in an effigy.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How exactly does Texas plan to survive financially if they do this? They have no state income tax (state constitution actually forbids it). They’ll have to make up the gap from lack of federal dollars coming in. Now, the residents of Texas wouldn’t be paying federal income tax anymore so Texas could try to recoup that but I have a feeling a lot of residents would burn up a dummy of any politician who tries that in an effigy.

If Texas succeeded then it wouldn’t be a state anymore. So I’m guessing that situation wouldn’t apply anymore. I’m sure the residents wouldn’t mind paying a federal tax to the Texas government just like they’ve always done in the US.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What will happen to Texans, like me, who don't wanna secede? Should I be concerned?!

Nope. As others have pointed out, this referendum won't pass. And even if it passed, it will have no effect. The noteworthy thing is just that it has some sort of official support from the Texas GOP. Sensible people wouldn't support this talk of secession, but when you have a borderline war criminal as the head of the state party, sensible people are apparently in short supply.

Upvote 0