Texas Democrats walk out to stop Voting Restrictions Bill

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've always found it profitable to align myself with the party most in agreement with my standards and beliefs

I've always found it profitable to vote for the person most in agreement with my standards and beliefs. Political parties are a necessary evil which are occasionally more evil than necessary.

But to each his own.

- perhaps you should join the Democratic Party, they seem to appeal to you much better.

Perhaps you should be careful what you wish for. Certain parties might end up vacated (and new ones rise to replace them) if enough people follow that advice.

And honestly, I'm not seeing any downside to that scenario.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've always found it profitable to vote for the person most in agreement with my standards and beliefs. Political parties are a necessary evil which are occasionally more evil than necessary.

But to each his own.

Perhaps you should be careful what you wish for. Certain parties might end up vacated (and new ones rise to replace them) if enough people follow that advice.

And honestly, I'm not seeing any downside to that scenario.

I don't have plans to leave the Republican Party any time soon. And despite the obvious disapproval by other conservatives of me being a Republican and publicly opposing Trump, I will continue on as a Never Trump Republican. I will continue to speak out against him and his yes-man loyalists.

I spent many years being in lockstep with the Republican Party, but the rise of Donald Trump brought me to my senses. I won't ever be loyal to the party again as long as he still has control and influence over it. I'll continue to vote Democratic if that's what it takes to diminish the political power of the GOP under Trump's control. I'd rather see the entire party crash and burn than continue to be under his control. Trumpism is an anathema to me and my hope is to see it eliminated from the entire party. If the Republican Party under Trump has to crumble to the ground for that to happen, then so be it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't have plans to leave the Republican Party any time soon. And despite the obvious disapproval by other conservatives of me being a Republican and publicly opposing Trump, I will continue on as a Never Trump Republican. I'll continue to speak out against him and his yes-man loyalists.

I spent many years being in lockstep with the Republican Party, but the rise of Donald Trump brought me to my senses. I won't ever be loyal to the Party again as long as he still has control and influence over it. I'll continue to vote Democratic if that's what it takes to diminish the political power of the GOP under Trump's control. I'd rather see the entire party crash and burn than continue to be under his control. Trumpism is an anathema to me and my hope is to see it eliminated from the entire Party. If the Republican Party under Trump has to crumble to the ground for that to happen, then so be it.

Unfortunately Trump was a kind of indicator for the GOP, not necessarily a "state change". The thing Trump allowed the GOP to do is realize that there is literally no limit to what one can do if one is able to abandon anything like integrity or care for the rank-and-file US citizen.

The GOP started about 40 years ago steadily undercutting education as a value and their voter base skewed further and further toward the less educated voter. This allowed them to further play up fears that could be leveraged. Whether it was fear of foreigners or fear of economic impact if science is correct and finally they needed to know exactly how far they could push this low-information voter base to support them no matter what.

Trump showed the way. He and Mitch McConnell have shown that there is no cost to taking extreme positions, even positions diametrically opposed to the same position they took just a couple years back on any given topic. Hypocrisy is for those who can remember more than a day in the past.

Now that they have established that they are OK with a violent insurrection against the US government there is literally no boundary to them. They are free of all moderating influences and can now proceed to leverage this knowledge to grab as much power as they want and hold it as long as they like.

Democracy dies when one party realizes it can be gamed and their naked lust for pure unadulterated power is clear for all to see.

• Winner
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Do you have any recent articles that aren't over a year old?

And I have to question the validity of the first article because of its news source.

The NOQ Report.

NOQ Report Media Rating.png

Media Rating NOQ Report.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Not to mention, the FURIOUS DROVES LEAVING team blue didn't seem to have much effect on 2020.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You missed Real Clear Politics - or left it out - regardless.

My point (thank you for helping demonstrate it.) The political line - people are leaving *** party in droves is cyclical - I year ago people were leaving the Democratic Party in droves - this year people are leaving the Republican party in droves.

You cannot judge either by what is being touted as 'people leaving in droves'.

Hope that clarifies my point.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not to mention, the FURIOUS DROVES LEAVING team blue didn't seem to have much effect on 2020.
Don't you get it? That's PROOF the demoncrats cheated! People were leaving the party in DROVES! So how did they win?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Still not seeing the downside. Are you?

Did you miss this - I think the line "people are leaving (insert party)" is a whole lot of nothing.

My point (thank you for helping demonstrate it.) The political line - people are leaving *** party in droves is cyclical - I year ago people were leaving the Democratic Party in droves - this year people are leaving the Republican party in droves.

You cannot judge either by what is being touted as 'people leaving in droves'.

Hope that clarifies my point.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I personally see zero downside to Democrats leaving the party. I applaud them doing so.

Republicans as well -- correct?

Personally, I think there ought to be a lot more than two major political parties.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Did you miss this - I think the line "people are leaving (insert party)" is a whole lot of nothing.

Saw it; didn't care.

It's unfortunate that the political duopoly will always be with us, but it's never a bad thing to imagine the world as it should be... once in a while.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thank heavens for the Democrats! They prevented a terrible mistake. The Texas voting law called for Sunday voting to start at 1 pm. But that was simply a typo. The Republicans meant to put 11 AM.

In an interview Tuesday with NPR, one of the negotiators, Rep. Travis Clardy of Nacogdoches, said the 1 p.m. start time was an error and that it should have been 11 a.m. Despite his claim, no Republicans raised an issue with the start time during final debate over the bill, and one of them even defended it.

Clardy told NPR that the Sunday start time was "one of the things I look forward to fixing the most" in a special session.

"That was not intended to be reduced," Clardy said. "I think there was a — call it a mistake if you want to — what should have been 11 was actually printed up as 1."

After Clardy's interview with NPR, another GOP negotiator and the bill's House sponsor, Rep. Briscoe Cain of Deer Park, said that what Clardy said was true and that lawmakers intended to fix the start time in a special session.
Call it what you want, but it looks like this strategy already produced positive results.

(assuming the promises in the last sentence are actually kept)

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately Trump was a kind of indicator for the GOP, not necessarily a "state change". The thing Trump allowed the GOP to do is realize that there is literally no limit to what one can do if one is able to abandon anything like integrity or care for the rank-and-file US citizen.

The GOP started about 40 years ago steadily undercutting education as a value and their voter base skewed further and further toward the less educated voter. This allowed them to further play up fears that could be leveraged. Whether it was fear of foreigners or fear of economic impact if science is correct and finally they needed to know exactly how far they could push this low-information voter base to support them no matter what.

Trump showed the way. He and Mitch McConnell have shown that there is no cost to taking extreme positions, even positions diametrically opposed to the same position they took just a couple years back on any given topic. Hypocrisy is for those who can remember more than a day in the past.

Now that they have established that they are OK with a violent insurrection against the US government there is literally no boundary to them. They are free of all moderating influences and can now proceed to leverage this knowledge to grab as much power as they want and hold it as long as they like.

Democracy dies when one party realizes it can be gamed and their naked lust for pure unadulterated power is clear for all to see.

Yup, the GOPs refusal to rally behind condemnation of Trump for 1/6 just means that the downward spiral will continue. Americans rewarding Trump with an extremely healthy vote total despite his loss, and rewarding the GOP with their house gains just confirms it. The bottom has not been reached, and when it falls even further than 'armed assault on the nations Capitol' then I suspect the actual bottom is going to be beyond disturbing.

Upvote 0