Texas Democrats walk out to stop Voting Restrictions Bill

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
..depending on how many sex traffickers, dope smugglers, Islamic terrorists, Chinese agents, and yes, Central American economic refugees the Biden administration can get into Texas illegally in the near future, then a general amnesty with a blanket grant of citizenship thereafter.
It is fun to make up stories like this, but looking at actual polling data shows quite a different story, e.g. Native Texans voted for native Texan Beto O'Rourke, transplants went for Ted Cruz, exit poll shows

But continue to have fun trying to demonize brown people. I'm sure it will play well with some groups.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Speaking as a Texan and as a Republican, I wouldn't mind if Texas turns blue if that means no more Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, Ted Cruz, and Ken Paxton. They deserve to face a reckoning, IMO.

Texas Republicans embraced Donald Trump for four years. Now they face a reckoning

You might want to reconsider “ as a republican”. Republican party today is not a political party. Republican party today doesn’t support democracy. A party which engage in democratic process doesn’t try to overthrow election result by force, A party which engage in democratic process doesn’t take away voting rights from citizen. A party which engage in democratic process doesn’t take away ballot box.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh , I see now.. you want me to ignore the fact that you don’t think Jan 6th is "an assault on democracy” , but you think TX democrat walking out is "an assault on democracy.

No, I wanted you to stick to the topic instead of saying "Oh, you mean ______" and, in so doing, attribute some idea to me that I hadn't written. :)

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My first thought - what are Texas GOP legislators so worried about that they feel the need to try and sneak through a voter suppression law like that?

Democracy, as like as not.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, I wanted you to stick to the topic instead of saying "Oh, you mean ______" and, in so doing, attribute some idea to me that I hadn't written. :)

I am sticking with the thread. But people who doesn’t think Jan 6 is a insurrection and “an assault on democracy” don’t get to say TX Democrat walking out is “ an assault on democracy” . You can’t have both way – you can’t ignore Jan 6 event and then blame democrat in TX.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,216.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
See, I'll be consistent and say I don't approve of this. It's just a stunt that's not going to change anything anyway, but deliberately holding up quorum, even if it's within the rules of the body, goes against democratic principles imo. TBH, I might feel different if I knew that it was would have killed the bill for sure, but all it did was delay the vote.

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You might want to reconsider “ as a republican”. Republican party today is not a political party. Republican party today doesn’t support democracy. A party which engage in democratic process doesn’t try to overthrow election result by force, A party which engage in democratic process doesn’t take away voting rights from citizen. A party which engage in democratic process doesn’t take away ballot box.

I have considered forsaking the Republican Party after what I experienced during Trump's presidency, but I decided not to tuck tail and run. I made the decision to stick it out and continue fighting against him and Trumpism as a Republican. As I've said before, I think that my objections to him will be more effective if I remained in the Republican Party as a Never Trump Republican. I've already seen it make an impressive impact in real life whenever I engage other conservatives who support Trump.

My main objective is to openly speak out against him and his loyalists as the opportunity arises, but I am also hoping to inspire other Never Trump Republicans to publicly speak out against him too. TBH, I think the more Republicans who publicly stand up to Trump and speak out against him, the better.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have considered forsaking the Republican Party after what I experienced during Trump's presidency, but I decided not to tuck tail and run. I made the decision to stick it out and continue fighting against him and Trumpism as a Republican. As I've said before, I think that my objections to him will be more effective if I remained in the Republican Party as a Never Trump Republican. I've already seen it make an impressive impact in real life whenever I engage other conservatives who support Trump.

My main objective is to openly speak out against him and his loyalists as the opportunity arises, but I am also hoping to inspire other Never Trump Republicans to publicly speak out against him too. TBH, I think the more Republicans who publicly stand up to Trump and speak out against him, the better.

Thanks for the post. If the never Trumper republican can turn things around and bring the republican back to what it used to be, then it is good for America. We need both party to be strong. But as the days passes by the less hope I have for GOP. I thought after Nov 6 , republican will dump Trump and move on, that didn’t happen, after Jan 6 , I thought this is it, republican will move away from Trump. To me it is getting worse.

• Friendly
Reactions: Guinan
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can’t have both way – you can’t ignore Jan 6 event and then blame democrat in TX.
On the contrary, it is quite possible to not buy one political party's version of the events of January 6...but, at the same time, think that a different event which just about everyone agrees did indeed prevent an elected state legislature from doing its job was an assault on democracy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
On the contrary, it is quite possible not to buy into one political party's version of the events of January 6...but thinking that a different event which just about everyone seems to agree did prevent an elected state legislature from doing its job was such an assault on democracy?

Because "assault" implies some sort of illegal action.

What laws did the TX Democrats break?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question: Given that Texas has some of the most restrictive and downright Byzantine voting laws in the US, what exactly is the purpose of the new regulations?

To discourage the wrong kind of Texan citizen from voting.

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...but of course Texas GOP legislatures say the Texas proposed voting measures are designed to prevent voter fraud....

There is no evidence of any rampant fraud in Texas or anywhere else, meaning the purported rationale for the legislation itself doesn’t exist.

From 2015 to 2020, a period during which more than 44.1 million votes were cast for presidential and gubernatorial races and for constitutional measures alone, there were only 197 complaints of election fraud filed with the state. Only 23 were from the 2020 election itself. The office of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) devoted more than 22,000 hours to tracking down fraud cases last year, closing out 16 minor cases around Houston.

As the legislature considered new legislation focused on fraud, the head of the election fraud department in Paxton’s office claimed the number of fraud cases was “higher than our historical average by a long shot,” totaling “510 offenses pending against 43 defendants in court.” However: “Only one of those pending cases stems from the 2020 election, in which more than 11 million Texans cast ballots,” as a Houston Chronicle fact check pointed out.

That fact check was a response to a CNN appearance by Texas state Sen. Bryan Hughes (R), in which he repeatedly claimed there were “over 400 open cases of investigations of voter fraud” in the state. There were not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...int-that-almost-no-demonstrated-fraud-exists/

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, it is quite possible to not buy one political party's version of the events of January 6...but, at the same time, think that a different event which just about everyone agrees did indeed prevent an elected state legislature from doing its job was an assault on democracy.

What I wrote in post #9 is correct

I would have taken you seriously if I had seen any post from you which said “an assault on democracy” about those storms to congress on Jan 6.

Last few post between us just confirm what I said in post #9. When it comes to what is “an assault on democracy”, you are applying double standard.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
That isn't the point.

The point was that it was missing from the post I was responding to, even though the event in question provided a perfect example of one that can actually be termed an "assault on democracy."

If preserving the day to day operations of government from any interruptions is so important to the people who normally use that term, the rest of us have to wonder why it was so noticeably missing in this case.

You do realize REPUBLICANS did the same thing here in Oregon a year or so ago, right? They walked out and hid in different states to avoid a quorum.

Was it an "assault on democracy" when they did it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You do realize REPUBLICANS did the same thing here in Oregon a year or so ago, right? They walked out and hid in different states to avoid a quorum.

Was it an "assault on democracy" when they did it?

Of course not -- it's "patriotism" when Republicans do it... because they say it is.

Implying a "double" standard implies the existence of a single standard of one's own.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Thank heavens for the Democrats! They prevented a terrible mistake. The Texas voting law called for Sunday voting to start at 1 pm. But that was simply a typo. The Republicans meant to put 11 AM.

In an interview Tuesday with NPR, one of the negotiators, Rep. Travis Clardy of Nacogdoches, said the 1 p.m. start time was an error and that it should have been 11 a.m. Despite his claim, no Republicans raised an issue with the start time during final debate over the bill, and one of them even defended it.

Clardy told NPR that the Sunday start time was "one of the things I look forward to fixing the most" in a special session.

"That was not intended to be reduced," Clardy said. "I think there was a — call it a mistake if you want to — what should have been 11 was actually printed up as 1."

After Clardy's interview with NPR, another GOP negotiator and the bill's House sponsor, Rep. Briscoe Cain of Deer Park, said that what Clardy said was true and that lawmakers intended to fix the start time in a special session.

• Informative
Reactions: Kratzo
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Gotta agree -- there's a line between "opposing the Democrats" and "opposing democracy."

Has the opposition (and for the record, I don't mean the entire GOP) tiptoed across the line, or pole-vaulted over it?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking as a Texan and as a Republican, I wouldn't mind if Texas turns blue if that means no more Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, Ted Cruz, and Ken Paxton. They deserve to face a reckoning, IMO.

Texas Republicans embraced Donald Trump for four years. Now they face a reckoning

I've always found it profitable to align myself with the party most in agreement with my standards and beliefs - perhaps you should join the Democratic Party, they seem to appeal to you much better.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always found it profitable to align myself with the party most in agreement with my standards and beliefs - perhaps you should join the Democratic Party, they seem to appeal to you much better.
Regardless of the party, none of must walk lockstep with them. We must always let them know what we think.

Upvote 0