Testimonies of sign gifts in the mission field?

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shared many times me and friend in the back of Church.. me asking him about the woman up front on stage crying kind a screaming, who is she? He said "see all these people here (about 500) about 1/2 came with her.

See she was blind and this preacher that came to our Church for a week just laid hands on her in JESUS name she was healed. As Peter and John said after the man was healed. "that name faith in that name healed that man".

I remembered that man for in another Church I think Glad tidings Church he was having meetings. I had just over heard my mom on the phone saying something about people falling down on night at work. We worked at the same place. I had just got out of.. well haha you know at 16 who doesn't go out at night with friends drink and take things others have as in bikes, motorcycles you name it...pffft. Anyway I asked if I can come.

So it was a Friday night and wow there were SO many people. He asked if anyone wants to experience something from God to come up there. Sure if HE was real. See I was saved but.. if God is really real? So I go up there so many people yet all were about 10 feet away no one was by me he was in front of me with his back to me. He turns around takes one finger touches my forehead says "in JESUS name". Next thing I know I am on my back, how long no clue I start to get up.. oh something its my feet shoots into my chest.. IT WAS SO WONDERFUL. never felt anything like that. Never had a doubt what ever it was all GOD.

I did try to go back up there 3 times to have it happen again but.. yeah not how this works. I know most just fall but.. its 100% real. As He said I am he they fell backwards to the ground. The youth pastor driving me home out of no where said "most people don't get blown away by God like that". And just one part of my life ..so many things before and after.

Tiny things? Well yesterday was not thinking about God what so ever.. nothing...was thinking about something else (wanted to share this anyway) out of no where He says "I am the God that health thee". Why the king James talk? No He does not most the time but. Just looking now since NO WAY I could tell you if that is written..yet

"And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

If we just simply blindly believe what He said... and who He said He is. Who we are because of Christ. What Christ not us has done. Just believe..its doubt that will always stop Him. He will never go against our will. YES what HE does for one He will do for ALL!

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,582.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Link to testimony (about 5 mins from the timestamp).

Summary: 7 deaf people healed in front of a Hindu crowd (hundreds) in India.

Do you know other testimonies like this one?

Scripture says Jews from Israel require a sign, in order to believe (Exodus 4, John 4:48, 1 Corinthians 1:22)

Unless there are Jews in India present during that healing, it is not a sign, but rather a miracle.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scripture says Jews from Israel require a sign, in order to believe (Exodus 4, John 4:48, 1 Corinthians 1:22)

Unless there are Jews in India present during that healing, it is not a sign, but rather a miracle.

Are you familiar with formal logic?

Your argument, formalized a bit more, would look something like this:
  • Premise 1: Some Israelites at the time of Moses required signs in order to believe (from Exodus 4)
  • Premise 2: Some Jews at the time of Jesus required signs in order to believe (from John 4:48)
  • Premise 3: Jews (generally) demand signs (in order to believe) (from 1 Corinthians 1:22)
  • Conclusion: Therefore, a non-Jew cannot witness a sign (?????????????????)
The conclusion does not logically follow from the premises (Formal fallacy - Wikipedia).

All the premises are saying is that (some) Jews/Israelites have witnessed and/or demanded signs in order to believe. The premises don't say anything about other individuals. They are silent in that regard. You can't formally deduce conclusions about non-Jews from these premises.

It is entirely consistent with the premises that a non-Jew could witness a sign.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,582.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you familiar with formal logic?

Your argument, formalized a bit more, would look something like this:
  • Premise 1: Some Israelites at the time of Moses required signs in order to believe (from Exodus 4)
  • Premise 2: Some Jews at the time of Jesus required signs in order to believe (from John 4:48)
  • Premise 3: Jews (generally) demand signs (in order to believe) (from 1 Corinthians 1:22)
  • Conclusion: Therefore, a non-Jew cannot witness a sign (?????????????????)
The conclusion does not logically follow from the premises (Formal fallacy - Wikipedia).

All the premises are saying is that (some) Jews/Israelites have witnessed and/or demanded signs in order to believe. The premises don't say anything about other individuals. They are silent in that regard. You can't formally deduce conclusions about non-Jews from these premises.

It is entirely consistent with the premises that a non-Jew could witness a sign.

I am saying that, from scripture, sign is specific for the nation of Israel.

For your case, they are witnessing a "miracle from God", but its not a sign.

Is there a specific reason why you would rather call that a sign, rather than a miracle?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am saying that, from scripture, sign is specific for the nation of Israel.

For your case, they are witnessing a "miracle from God", but its not a sign.

Is there a specific reason why you would rather call that a sign, rather than a miracle?

As far as I'm aware, the Bible never defines "sign" as "miracle for Israel".

This entry may be of interest: Strong's Greek: 4592. σημεῖον (sémeion) -- a sign

No one defines sign as a "miracle for Israel".

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,582.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But my original question to you was "Why do you want to call that a sign, instead of a miracle?"

Are there any specific reasons?

It's just standard terminology. See Sign Gifts

But if you want further reasons specifically for the testimony at hand (post #1):

HELPS Word-studies
4592 sēmeíona sign (typically miraculous), given especially to confirm, corroborate or authenticate. 4592 /sēmeíon ("sign") then emphasizes the end-purpose which exalts the one giving it. Accordingly, it is used dozens of times in the NT for what authenticates the Lord and His eternal purpose, especially by doing what mere man can not replicate of take credit for.

In the testimony, the healing of the 7 deaf confirmed the preaching of the gospel.

I highly encourage you to watch the testimony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,582.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's just standard terminology. See Sign Gifts

But if you want further reasons specifically for the testimony at hand (post #1):

HELPS Word-studies
4592 sēmeíona sign (typically miraculous), given especially to confirm, corroborate or authenticate. 4592 /sēmeíon ("sign") then emphasizes the end-purpose which exalts the one giving it. Accordingly, it is used dozens of times in the NT for what authenticates the Lord and His eternal purpose, especially by doing what mere man can not replicate of take credit for.

In the testimony, the healing of the 7 deaf confirmed the preaching of the gospel.

I highly encourage you to watch the testimony.

So it's just a preferred term for you.

Alright then

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟717,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Sign Gifts” happen on the missions field and in churches all over America.

it is not a rarity

By definition on the links we have “Sign Gifts” every time we get together, they are part and parcel of being spirit filled.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟717,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
77CBD1A3-1A32-4AB5-B622-D046883F6351.jpeg

This is from June of this year, over 200 healed and thousands accepting Christ

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Never thought I'd see the day where we have people arguing over the most minute detail. I help moderate a Discord server of over 10,000 young adult and teenage Christians...never once have I seen them get so bent out of shape over the usage of a word...

Anyways...

Yes, I have heard many testimonies over the years, primarily from missionaries about tongues in known languages happening. Of course, I've heard some from charismatic/continuist missionaries, and I've also heard testimony from missionaries who come from denominations that are traditionally cessationist, such as Baptists. This should be proof enough that the Holy Spirit is still operating in signs and wonders today.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,582.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Never thought I'd see the day where we have people arguing over the most minute detail. I help moderate a Discord server of over 10,000 young adult and teenage Christians...never once have I seen them get so bent out of shape over the usage of a word...

Anyways...

Yes, I have heard many testimonies over the years, primarily from missionaries about tongues in known languages happening. Of course, I've heard some from charismatic/continuist missionaries, and I've also heard testimony from missionaries who come from denominations that are traditionally cessationist, such as Baptists. This should be proof enough that the Holy Spirit is still operating in signs and wonders today.

So to clarify, to you, any miracle is a sign?

These 2 terms are interchangeable and equivalent?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Have you heard these testimonies in one-on-one, face-to-face conversations with trustable missionaries, or through stories from "unknown" random missionaries on the internet?

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you heard these testimonies in one-on-one, face-to-face conversations with trustable missionaries, or through stories from "unknown" random missionaries on the internet?

Missionaries that visited the churches that I've been at. I've been all over the denomination spectrum, Baptist, non-denominational cessationist, non-denom continuist, WoF, Foursquare, AOG. You name it. The ones that stuck with me the most are the ones that gave these testimonies at the Baptist church I grew up in, these are also the ones that came to mind when I wrote my prior reply.

• Informative
Upvote 0