• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

TERRIBLE sinful thoughts about Jesus I can't get rid of!

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Whitehorse said:
Well, it can be genetic and can create a predisposition, I suppose. The problem is, physical diseases cannot choose specific thoughts or plant specific images in the mind. Since Gareth is was very distressed by those thoughts, he couldn't have been entertaining them. And when that happens, a sudden onslaught of vile thoughts that horrify the person who is experiencing them, usually they do come from satan.
I've fairly certain we are capable of producing vile thoughts all on our own. It's called the "shadow" and it's the animalistic part of our minds buried deep inside that we'd rather forget. It's easy of course to blame these thoughts on demons or the devil than accept that they come from ourselves.

Besides the Bible never says anything about Satan being able to plant thoughts in your head.

When people get cancer we don't accuse Satan of causing it because it has a biological basis, so why should we accuse Satan of causing mental problems, which also have a biological basis. I think we should be careful on how much credit we give Satan.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
wblastyn said:
I've fairly certain we are capable of producing vile thoughts all on our own. It's called the "shadow" and it's the animalistic part of our minds buried deep inside that we'd rather forget. It's easy of course to blame these thoughts on demons or the devil than accept that they come from ourselves.

Besides the Bible never says anything about Satan being able to plant thoughts in your head.

When people get cancer we don't accuse Satan of causing it because it has a biological basis, so why should we accuse Satan of causing mental problems, which also have a biological basis. I think we should be careful on how much credit we give Satan.

True, we are capable of it, but to really help our friend we need to make an accurate determination based on the specifics of the situation. Our sin nature is called the flesh, or the old nature. But I'm looking at Gareth's specific circumstances and I don't think that's the case. (See my above post for the reasons why.)

Actually, satan can talk to you, although it is unlikely-usually it is an underling. How familiar are you with scripture? The Bible is filled with examples of ways demons can operate. Once you've had this happen to you personally, you know what it is and where it comes from.

As for the cancer, a physical ailment is not the issue under these circumstances.

Upvote 0

Gareth1

Sep 9, 2003
Sheffield, UK
Visit site
✟7,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'd say it came from the Devil because when the thoughts come in to my mind, I tell him in Jesus' name (to put it bluntly), go away! And it works for a while, then he tries again.

So now, I think Satan's given up doing that, and I'm finally free from those thoughts!

Hallelujah!

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Gareth said:
Well, I'd say it came from the Devil because when the thoughts come in to my mind, I tell him in Jesus' name (to put it bluntly), go away! And it works for a while, then he tries again.

So now, I think Satan's given up doing that, and I'm finally free from those thoughts!

Hallelujah!
Good for you.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Gareth said:

Hallelujah!

WooHoo! That's great! :clap:

Upvote 0

Vollkommen Warrior

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟917.00
Faith
Christian
Very simple. Don't think them and don't say them. But if you must, the Lord Jesus will ALWAYS win the battle. He goes beyond though, comprehension and/or logic beyond what our primitive brains could ever understand. Your thoughts whether good or evil will never define the beloved Christ.

Upvote 0

soulfullyhis

Mar 24, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Just a thought///

you may be suffering from OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Obsessive thoughts are quite common with that. There are ways to defeat that. I'm in the current process of learning to defeat these thoughts and doing research so that I can minister to other who have had the same problem as I have. I will pray for you. You may be feeling totally better now, but I seen your post and wanted to offer this thought if you haven't considered. It may not be anything spiritual, it may be a chemical imbalance. That stuff does happen.

God Bless,

Soulfullyhis

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gareth, you just might have OCD too. I might be wrong here, but it sounds a lot like it.... uncontrolled thoughts is a very good symptom of this. It wouldn't hurt to research it a little and get evaluated for it.

Good luck and God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Starcradle

Senior Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
✟7,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dear Gareth,

I've not read all of the responses in this thread, yet your post immediately captured my attention. I can barely contain myself as I type this response, yet I have battled an almost identical trangression, although my blasphemous thoughts toward the Lord are predominantly not sexual in nature (although some of them are). Believe me, they are even worse than what you are describing here. Please know that you are not alone! :hug: This is the first occasion I have ever read of anyone going through something similar! This very transgression drove me from the Lord almost ten years ago, caused me to become suicidal, engendered a constant fear within me that I would commit the unpardonable sin, paralyzed my entire existence for years. In my panic and torment I could not discover a solution, I was so disheartened that I gave up and did all I could to flee from the Lord just to drive the maddening thoughts away. A few months ago I recommitted my life to Jesus and I yet continue to struggle with it on a daily basis. Nevertheless, instead of attempting to suppress the thoughts that enter my mind as I used to, I counterattack them with Scripture. Attempting to suppress a thought merely reinforces your focus upon it--it will never, ever work. I know this, I have been going through this for a long while. Although I still struggle a great deal and I am depressed much of the time, I have noticed that there is a decrease in the frequency of the thoughts. Sanctification is a process! :)

I urge you to memorize Scripture--the more, the better. I recite 1 Corinthians 10:13 a lot, as well as other Scriptures to bring down any lie Satan or my flesh is introducing. God asks us to daily renew our minds and as difficult as this may be, He would never ask us to do the impossible. What we cannot do for ourselves He has already done for us, and through the help of His Holy Spirit we can overcome the sins that cripple us and steal our joy. :hug:

I also recommend that you be very diligent with your heart. Meaning, take great care what you expose yourself to (ie the type of programs you watch, the music you listen to) and the activities you engage in. It is difficult enough to remain sexually pure without exposing ourselves to the garbage that can be found in the world.

Please feel free to PM me whenever you need support or a friend to listen. If for a moment you entertain the thought, please don't give up on your relationship with the Lord because of this. I did for a season and it was the worst error I committed: it solved absolutely nothing. Yet through His unbelievable grace and mercy, He drew me back in. He is the only one who can cleanse and liberate us--we need to cling to Him no matter what the cost! He loves us and wants us to be holy infinitely more than we do. He would not draw us to Himself and then leave us without resources to live the life He desires us to. He wishes for us only the best! :)

God bless you for having a pliant, sensitive heart before Him that desires to live life according to His will. Hang in there, sweetheart! The Lord is good and His thoughts toward you are excellent and innumerable! :hug:

(I apologize for the frenzied lack of eloquence--I discard grammatical sense when I am emotional!) *Smile*

Upvote 0
I know what you are going through.
I haven't had any problems with masturbation, because iam a girl.
But i have had horrible, evil thoughts running through my head. Thoughts that tear me away from everything i like, because it makes them all insult Jesus. I mentioned it before on one of my threads, and i think you are going through a similar thing.

I don't really have anything to say that will stop the thoughts, but if i find an answer to the problem or get some good advice, i will share it with you. :)

Upvote 0

Starcradle

Senior Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
✟7,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
brettnolan said:
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but having read everything in this thread, this sounds to me like a guy having fun messing with the gullible Christians.

I don't mean to be rude, in any case.

Although I am not the least bit inclined to believe your assumption, please know that this in actuality does occur in the life of some Christians, and it can be horribly frightening in a way that someone who has never endured it can fathom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Starcradle

Senior Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
✟7,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
EltronRangamma said:
Wow I am not alone.

:hug:

I guess we aren't. I know what 1 Corinthians 10:13 says about a temptation not seizing us that isn't common to all men...yet I really felt alone with this for almost ten years until I read the original poster's comments.

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are medications to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/OCD. It can be hard to fight otherwise. It's worth bringing this up next time you see your doctor or a counselor.

You might also mention about the funny nausea-like feelings in your stomach that you mentioned in your first post. That could mean many things and it's worth mentioning to a doctor. Be detailed about it.

Meanwhile, here's an OCD support board. They use the same program for their forum that we do making it easy to get used to-- and sign up is free.

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums

If you scroll about ¾ of the way down the page, you'll see the OCD forum. I'd leave you its direct link, but for some reason, I'm not able to leave it on this post.

~Sandy

Upvote 0

doulos

Dec 12, 2003
Catalonia, Spain
Visit site
✟506.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you read John Bunyan's Grace Abounding for the Chief of Sinners (His spiritual autobiography-he was the author of Pilgrim's Progress), you will find many parallels and will help you realize what you are battling with.

By the way, you can read it online or download it at

http://www.ccel.org/b/bunyan/abounding/grace.htm

I know it, as it has been my experience in life as well to have intrusive thoughts, and have learnt, by filling myself with the reality of the Lord as revealed in the Prophecies of the OT and in the Fulfilment in the Gospels and in the heavenly teaching of the Epistles, to be guarded by and in His love through His finished work on the Cross. He died for our sins. He lives for ever to keep us.

Take courage, and the more Satan would want to distract you with evil thoughts, the more cleave to the Lord. Keep away from evil contents and evil associations, and stick to what is of good report ... keep looking up and waiting for the Lord while serving Him in what He may guide you. But first of all learn that He is for you. That's the why of His cross. he died for you ...

Very cordially,

doulos

Upvote 0

PetraFan007

I try as hard as I can.
Nov 9, 2003
Central MA
Visit site
✟21,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't worry dude, you're alone with that ****. That's what SATAN wants us to think. i've thought that, but, instead ...not that he was getting masturbated, but that I myself would be doing that while there (only because I would be naked and I have this crazy fetish with being naked in a public setting, like nudism and ****).

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
Doulos, a loud, resonant, and hearty AMEN to that.

And I really think every genuine Christian goes through it at one point or another, because, well, we really are fighting a war. I don't think we realize it because we're preoccupied with many things, the American Dream, family, even ministry can usurp our study and prayer time if we're not careful to keep a balance. And our alone time with God and the love and obedience it yields is where our victory is. I didn't realize until recently that God really is jealous of our time. And that's a good thing. It's preservation.

Many blessings.

Upvote 0