United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TN saggy pants law signed by Gov. Haslam | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

No student is allowed to show his underwear in school or he faces a $250 fine (disproportionately harsh for poor students) and/or 500 hours of community service. Will they also fine the girls for showing hipbones and a whale tail or a bra-strap?

Although the governor criticized the legislature for passing such a frivolous law, he signed it.

M

MattRose

No student is allowed to show his underwear in school or he faces a $250 fine (disproportionately harsh for poor students) and/or 500 hours of community service. Will they also fine the girls for showing hipbones and a whale tail or a bra-strap?

Although the governor criticized the legislature for passing such a frivolous law, he signed it.

Oh no, what have they done? If I were a male student in that school I'd go 'commando'!

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No student is allowed to show his underwear in school or he faces a $250 fine (disproportionately harsh for poor students) and/or 500 hours of community service.

"A stricter version of the proposal failed to pass the legislature three years ago.

That measure targeted individuals who wear pants below the waist-line and imposed a fine of up to $250 and 160 hours of community service.

Under the current legislation, school districts would decide a less severe punishment."

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A stricter version of the proposal failed to pass the legislature three years ago.

That measure targeted individuals who wear pants below the waist-line and imposed a fine of up to $250 and 160 hours of community service.

Under the current legislation, school districts would decide a less severe punishment."
So what exactly is the point of passing this legislation as school districts already have dress codes and can merit the punishment they deem fit?

A bunch of old fogies passing judgement on the current state of fashion?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I want it dismantled or heavily reformed, but until they are, they have the power to enforce a dress code.

It's hilarious that all you Statists get up in arms over this, but are fine with the school deciding what they eat, what they're taught, etc.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what exactly is the point of passing this legislation as school districts already have dress codes and can merit the punishment they deem fit?

It allows the Democrats who proposed the legislation to go back to their urban communities and say they are "fighting to clean them up," but the Republican majority was able to talk them off the ledge (the Dems wanted criminal sanctions) and instead passed a law that just tells LEAs to do what most of them are doing already.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want it dismantled or heavily reformed, but until they are, they have the power to enforce a dress code.

It's hilarious that all you Statists get up in arms over this, but are fine with the school deciding what they eat, what they're taught, etc.

What school doesn't decide what their students are taught?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟372,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Uniforms are AWESOME! Dress codes suck.
Did any poster yet think "man...isn't it weird that there are sooooo many kids exposing their underwear in their day to day lives"? Regardless of the ethics of this law, it seems weird that there are THAT many kids showin' ginch.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟26,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Uniforms are AWESOME! Dress codes suck.
Did any poster yet think "man...isn't it weird that there are sooooo many kids exposing their underwear in their day to day lives"? Regardless of the ethics of this law, it seems weird that there are THAT many kids showin' ginch.

And 30 years ago we would ask "Isn't it weird that so many kids are growing their hair long and wearing holes in their jeans?"

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What school doesn't decide what their students are taught?

Private schools allow parents some degree of control, such as focusing on math, etc. You can also find schools that don't teach junk like Columbus discovered the earth was round, Washington and the cherry tree, etc.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Small government yay!!

Can school decide what they eat? They shouldn't serve fat in a bun, and should probably promote healthy eating in some way, but there should be mostly free choice in food. Limited restrictions can be justified for the clear benefit of the child

I hope I don't have to explain that truth isn't relative and most parents aren't experts on most topics. :p

I don't know if parents should be able to decide how much of what their children get taught. Could end up with too little science being taught.

Saggy pants hardly do hard though. I have no problem with school uniform though, which can be justified.

Upvote 0